Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 121
  1.    #1  
    Something tells me this debate deserves its own thread.

    Aside from the "expectation" game being played by both sides, I could not help but notice the sudden revelation that tomorrow's moderator has written a book about black politicians - including Obama. What is most interesting to me is that the debate commission and the GOP knew she was writing such a book months ago. Yet, Fox just "broke the story" today under the auspices of concern about her ability to act as a neutral party. http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10...ro-obama-book/

    I have no doubt she may be motivated to see Biden win as she could well sell more books if he does. Having said that - why not fight something so obvious when it was first discovered? Why in the world would you let your candidate debate when the moderater is "in the bag" for the other candidate? Hmmm....enquiring minds want to know. Could it be that McSame/Palin KNEW she was a very high risk and kept this well known fact in their pocket as a plausible excuse for her very poor showing? Nahh....even the GOP could not be that sinister, could they? Could they really be that calculating?

    We'll see tomorrow whether or not Palin can make the cut. She has a lot going in her favor - the moderator is potentially tainted, the expectations are very low, and she is a female debating a very dominant male thereby making the charge of "sexism" a relatively easy one to make. Me thinks Biden is doomed....
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE 9-27-08 View Post

    ... Biden is one of the most overrated humans in DC.

    And given his personal track record I'd normally bet that Palin would significantly overachieve against expectations (as I said she would prior to her St. Paul convention speech.)

    I'm guessing that this situation is going to be different. That Biden will have been advised to cool it down, to be respectful but not overly restrained. Advised to respond to the questions asked while contriving to twist the answers to regularly connect McCain to junior's failures and catastrophes.

    I'd be nervous about him directly engaging her too aggressively. If he addresses her at all it ought to be in the form of genuine "what do you think, Sarah about..." questions.

    Inevitably she will mess up on some McCain policy nuance, and Biden can perhaps helpfully assist her on them.

    Poor Sarah's been going to cram school from dawn to bedtime these last few weeks. They have had to be REAMING her with factoids, info, names, and places. Ideas, theories.

    The interviews have shown her to be an okay student -- but one who's not had enough experience in taking these tests.

    Things that have taken BARYE 200 years to absorb, she's being compelled to fake mastery of, in days.

    During the debate she'll be out there without either a net, a teleprompter, or a hidden earpiece (I hope, anyway).

    The more expectations are heightened, the more she's the target of GOP buyer's remorse, the more she's the subject of press inquiry and questioning -- the more it has to affect her head, and make her somewhat nervous.

    The longer the debate lasts, the more its likely this destructive tension will cause her to freeze up and mess up live on air. Prayerfully, she could even have an Admiral Stockdale ("why am I here ??") moment.

    If she's forced to answer to an even a semi-decent debate moderator, she could self immolate if Biden follows my "quiet" script.

    Her main adversary during the debate will be unscripted surprise -- not Biden.
    By attacking PBS's Gwen Iffil, McCain's team has already ineffect neutralized her. If anything, she is going to now feel unconsciously compelled to be overaggressive toward Biden.

    Lets be real -- if Palin is diagnosed as after 90 minutes still having a pulse, she'll be declared the winner.

    There is no way Biden can rise to the expectations built up for him. His performances during the primaries were at best mediocre, and he was not so much on centerstage then -- nor was he under nearly as much scrutiny and stress as he will be here.

    Its often easier in these debates for the ignoramous to come off well than it is for the teacher's brainy pet student (as Gore and Kerry showed when they debated junior.)

    The format is good for her too -- a sit down conversation -- as opposed to a true contested debate.

    Though my heart and even my rational brain wants to see her rushed from the hall covered with a jacket over head -- like some shamed molester hiding from the photographers -- I'm going to not risk angering the gods by predicting that.

    She has a very low threshhold to rise above in order to be seen as much better than during her 2 interviews.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Me thinks Biden is doomed....

    Going off her history, I'd say that Biden is FAR from doomed, unless he says something stupid.

    If I were in Biden's corner, I'd say let her put her own "foot in mouth."

    I'd say she will doom herself.

    If she does not doom herself, then attacking her and letting her seem the "victim" will be worse than her "winning."

    Biden only needs to show up and let her talk.

    Biden also should take notes from Obama and simply address the facts and stay away from attacks... leave the attacks for the media events... stick with facts during the debates.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  4. #4  
    Yeah, let the media do the attacking - the media that is so set to continue making history this election cycle as it continues to tell the world that Obama is the messiah, the answer to all. Incidentally, CNN this afternoon (this evening out of paradise) that they are both accomplished debaters. Just let Biden make his usual statements...
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    CNN this afternoon (this evening out of paradise) that they are both accomplished debaters.
    Who? Obama and Biden?

    Of course, your point was totaly missed because you were so focused on Obama... you can't put a logical sentence (or argument) together because of your "feelings" about obama.

    When obama is elected, your head will explode like that KKK member in that Dave Chappelle skit where he played the black KKK member.

    Anyway, you can't tell me this lady is ready or that she is an "accomplished debater." Of course, you don't provide any links... no one ever knows your sources....

    Here is your source: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

    You can't tell me she is ready to be President....

    This is what she said...

    "Well, let's see. There's –of course –in the great history of American rulings there have been rulings, that's never going to be absolute consensus by every American," Palin said. "And there are–those issues, again, like Roe v Wade, where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So you know–going through the history of America, there would be others but–"

    "Can you think of any?" Couric interjected.

    "Well, I could think of–of any again, that could be best dealt with on a more local level, maybe I would take issue with," Palin responded. "But you know, as mayor, and then as governor and even as a vice president, if I'm so privileged to serve, wouldn't be in a position of changing those things but in supporting the law of the land as it reads today."
    This lady is scary... I could pick several qualified women I'd love for McCain to have picked.... guys as well.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    This lady is scary... I could pick several qualified women I'd love for McCain to have picked.... guys as well.

    Scary beyond all reason. McSame put his desire to be President ahead of the country - plain and simple. No rational person can view this and conclude that she is ready to be President - SHE ISN'T EVEN READY TO BE GOVERNOR.

    http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.co...-greatest.html
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    No rational person can view this and conclude that she is ready to be President - SHE ISN'T EVEN READY TO BE GOVERNOR.
    The idea of her becoming President is pretty scary. But I wouldn't go as far as to judge her capabilities as governor based on what I've seen of her. I don't claim any special knowledge of how a state government operates, but my feeling is that you need competence as an executive more than anything else. And I haven't read anywhere that she's actually an incompetent governor. Now that she's on the national stage, she sounds like an ***** because she's trying to BS her way on issues that she knows nothing about. I'm sure if she were interviewed on oil policy or moose hunting, she'd sound a lot smarter.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    The idea of her becoming President is pretty scary. But I wouldn't go as far as to judge her capabilities as governor based on what I've seen of her. I don't claim any special knowledge of how a state government operates, but my feeling is that you need competence as an executive more than anything else. And I haven't read anywhere that she's actually an incompetent governor. Now that she's on the national stage, she sounds like an ***** because she's trying to BS her way on issues that she knows nothing about. I'm sure if she were interviewed on oil policy or moose hunting, she'd sound a lot smarter.
    LOL. Oil policy...maybe. Moose hunting, for sure. Sounding like an *****...100% in agreement.

    I'm just flabbergasted at this pick. I mean, one could argue (perhaps rather successfully) that Obama should have picked Hillary, but at least his candidate has the experience and grasp on both national and global issues....albeit he might just talk so long that whatever crisis he finds himself in will pass him by.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    The idea of her becoming President is pretty scary. ..
    I'm happy to hear you concur on that Samkim.

    McShame's problem now is that according to The Wash. Post, that opinion has become shared amongst the majority of voters:

    "... About half of all voters said they were uncomfortable with the idea of McCain taking office at age 72, and 85 percent of those voters said Palin does not have the requisite experience to be president. ..."

    I assume you've seen the CBS interviews where she's ask what newspapers she reads and couldn't name any -- what specific Supreme decisions she was unhappy about besides Roe, and she could not name any.

    As the mayor of a town of 6,000 -- or the Governor of a very small (in population) state -- this provincialism is understandable and unimpeachable.

    That McShame would consider her the ideal person to lead america though, is an absolute indictment of his integrity and loyalty to this nation.

    To clarify a little of what might be ambiguous in my previous posts above, I don't want to jinx things by predicting that she'll do horribly.

    Expectations are so low that she HAS to do better than those -- and I fear she will surpass them. If she can at least fake "credible" for 90 minutes then the pressure will mostly be off her for this last month.

    If she does REALLY bad (as of course I hope), there will be irresistible pressure to dump her -- even with only a month to go.

    I could see McShame announcing that because of the economic crisis, he was immediately asking Gov. Silly Puddy to replace Palin. (as opposed to the conventional view that Palin will ask to withdraw because of family commitments).

    For the next 6+ hours (actually won't watch it live because of being in a screening) I will amuse myself daydreaming that Palin will have one of those classic beauty contestant moments in front of the entire planet.
    Last edited by BARYE; 10/02/2008 at 02:44 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    For the next 6+ hours (actually won't watch it live because of being in a screening) I will amuse myself daydreaming that Palin will have one of those classic beauty contestant moments in front of the entire planet.
    I wouldnt actually blame you for daydreaming about her...

    She may not be an attractive pick for VP but she is VERY attractive as a woman. Phew! MILF COUGAR whatever you want to call it shes smokin.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  11. #11  
    And no, Theog - if you had watched the commentary, you would have seen that I quoted it precisely as it came from the dude's mouth. I did not miss anything - you are injecting more to it than what I stated, which is far from abnormal for you and your obsession with Obama's perfection.

    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Who? Obama and Biden?

    Of course, your point was totaly missed because you were so focused on Obama... you can't put a logical sentence (or argument) together because of your "feelings" about obama.

    When obama is elected, your head will explode like that KKK member in that Dave Chappelle skit where he played the black KKK member.

    Anyway, you can't tell me this lady is ready or that she is an "accomplished debater." Of course, you don't provide any links... no one ever knows your sources....

    Here is your source: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

    You can't tell me she is ready to be President....

    This is what she said...



    This lady is scary... I could pick several qualified women I'd love for McCain to have picked.... guys as well.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    I wouldnt actually blame you for daydreaming about her...

    She may not be an attractive pick for VP but she is VERY attractive as a woman. Phew! MILF COUGAR whatever you want to call it shes smokin.
    Though I'm more oriented toward Lisa Ling, I respect the aesthetics of others.

    She is fairly attractive.

    And given the choice of sleeping with any potential VP, I'd most likely opt for her over say, **** Cheney.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  13.    #13  
    30 minutes to go and counting. Predictions:

    1. Gwyn will overcompensate in her attempt to appear neutral thanks to the last minute objection of the GOP to her book deal.

    2. Palin will get several very good zingers in there - in fact, if there is a one liner that resonates after this debate, I'll predict that Palin will deliver it.

    3. Biden will surprise us all with his brevity. But he'll be caught flat footed on a few of Palin's punches.

    4. The media will claim there was no real winner and that Palin did what she needed to do - but stop short of declaring her the victor. Biden will be accused of not delivering the "knock out punch" for Obama.

    I soooooooooooooooooo hope I'm wrong.
  14. #14  
    She had plenty of time to work an explanation about the book and the debate. To give any credence to a real debate, she needs to watch the presentation.

    Biden delivering a knock out punch for Obama? Obama is a great prompt reader, suffers badly on the foot. Biden excels in the grass root area where he can say what he wants and worry about the consequences later. Biden getting the REAL best of Palin - that is not something that will happen. Biden is course, Palin is polished. Both are 100% politician.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    2. Palin will get several very good zingers in there - in fact, if there is a one liner that resonates after this debate, I'll predict that Palin will deliver it.
    So far Biden delivered a pretty good one with his remark regarding the "bridge to nowhere."
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

    Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
  16. #16  
    So far, it seems she is taking too much time trying to point out what Obama did or did not do (voting record). She needs to stick primarily to what her and McCain intend to do and not to do.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

    Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
  17. #17  
    What is the difference between a surge and the need for additional troops?
  18. #18  
    Biden's statement with "Bosniacs?" Well, turns out this is legitamate.
  19. #19  
    Darfor - interesting! Biden's question about it and then they are negative about Iraq - really fasacinating about genocide.
  20. #20  
    It is just amazing that Biden ignores what he said before the choices were made and he came up for VP! Wow, this will be most interesting.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions