1.    #1  
    Does anyone know what happens to all the old products from store shelves when a new "version" is released? Specifically, I prefer the shape of the last Nano to the new one that just came out. I find it hard to believe that all the inventory in all the Costcos, Radio Shacks, Best Buys, Circuit Citys, etc. are just discarded. Where does it all go and how can I buy it (hopefully at a discount)? Apple sells used ones on their site but what about all the new ones that were never sold?
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Buy.com maybe? Amazon.com maybe? Also your local CL listings are full of people selling the 3 gen. Nano.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    overstock.com?
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    overstock.com?
    you're Steve Jobs (lets pretend OK ??)

You've just introduced a shiny brand spanking new ipod Nano -- but the shelves of Best Buy and Circuit already have stacks of the old ones. What do you do -- What Do you do ???

Lets Best Bye put them on sale for 50% off ??

Or do you Buy them back from Best Bye. and resell them to overstock.com at 70% off -- who then offers them at 50% off ??

If you're Stevo -- you likely put them in the blender. From his POV, maintaining the brand, its image, and its sense of premium value is priceless -- much more than the cost of "retiring" last years gizmos.

(this is part of the reason they stop production of last years stuff before
    demand evaporates -- that's why there might be no iPhones in the weeks before the 3G is announced.)

disclaimer:

(this -- like most of what I say -- is based on little more than speculative conjecture ...)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Amazon still has some, just as I suspected.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...bosnation0e-20

Best Buy had some but may have either sold out or sent them back. When the 4G Nano was announced, they all went on sale in every store for about a week. That actually was the time to get one in store. However the internet-only stores still have stock.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for all the replies but I still don't understand how the local stores are able to manage their inventory. If the new ipod is announced on Monday, what happens to all the inventory from before? Surely they didn't manage to get their existing inventory to 0 just in time (what happens if there was a 'run' on the previous generation?). My local BB, Costco, etc. were sold out of the old one within a day or two after the new announcement. What did they do with their inventory?

As a side note: The discounts on the old ones are good but I was hoping for better (like 50%). I guess there is still a big demand for them.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Perhaps they were asked by Apple to clear their shelves. They may have been sent back to Apple or to online resellers.

Warehousing is a big business, so is just-in-time inventory. If manufacturer orders product off the shelves and back to distribution center, away they go. Depending on how much ends up at central warehouse and deals with distributors, some distributors will continue selling at less deeply discounted prices. If product does not move, it gets sold to a factor at a discount and ends up on sites such as overstock.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    If manufacturer orders product off the shelves and back to distribution center, away they go.
    This is exactly what I am trying to understand. Where does it go? In the garbage?

Off the shelves to the back of the store and onto a truck. You are not going to find much "garbage" in store dumpsters.
  11.    #11  
    Where does the truck take them? You said to the distribution center. Then what?

usually places like overstock.com or Ollies or any other clearing house type stores or overseas.
    apple coud be different because of the high regard for brand identity, but the normal process is this....

1. internally come up with a new product release date.

2. throttle back on supply/manufacture of current product if needed. you use the extra manufacturing capacity to prove out the new process. less current ptoduct hits the distributor causing less excess stock.
    3. release new shiny product. hopefully exisiting product will be at a minimum. you can allow retailers to discount existing stock, if you have price controls, if not existing prices will generally drop to meet less demand for old product.

the goal is no buybacks/returns. you would want to exhaust current product in the retail sector, if at all possible.

the manufacture "buy back" scenario presented here is rarely used. this is a general comment, I have no idea what apple does specifically.
    Quote Originally Posted by car_designer View Post
    apple coud be different because of the high regard for brand identity, but the normal process is this....

1. internally come up with a new product release date.

2. throttle back on supply/manufacture of current product if needed. you use the extra manufacturing capacity to prove out the new process. less current ptoduct hits the distributor causing less excess stock.
    3. release new shiny product. hopefully exisiting product will be at a minimum. you can allow retailers to discount existing stock, if you have price controls, if not existing prices will generally drop to meet less demand for old product.

the goal is no buybacks/returns. you would want to exhaust current product in the retail sector, if at all possible.

the manufacture "buy back" scenario presented here is rarely used. this is a general comment, I have no idea what apple does specifically.
    our speculation is along the same lines

We differ in that I think that Jobs would prefer to take the buy back hit, in order to control the premium consumer "value" of the newest product.

There is little in the way of improvement on the new Nano -- would Jobs want the old ones sold at a steep discount when he wants to create excitement about the new ??

(if they happen, I have not seen these big Apple sales advertised)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    There is little in the way of improvement on the new Nano

That may not be entirely true. The design is improved along with the interface(MUCH improved). They finally got an up to date looking interface! The Genius and Nike features could be useful to some. It's all a matter of opinion though. The refresh is enough to get ME interested as I avoided the bland 3rd gen. like the plague, LOL!

P.S. No offense meant to the OP on that last statement.