1.    #1  
    I know there have to be some mac users out there so maybe someone can help me. I just got a new job and the new office is Mac-only. The computer I was given is an old-ish G3. The problem is that it is a pre-USB computer and I have a very nice 5-button USB mouse that I'd really like to use.

Is there any sort of adapter made for this purpose? What's it called? Who makes it? I think if I sourced the thing myself I would have a much better chance of getting one. After all, The only person that my 1-button mouse is bothering is me.

Thanks,
    Mike.
    MacSense offers a PCI plug-in card that will give your Mac 2 USB slots ..

http://www.shipitforyou.com/cgi-bin/...60+1117&FNM=85

I have no previous experience with this card (or any USB add-in cards)so you may want to do some research before purchasing.

Joe
    Is this an old beige G3? If so, I'd try to get a new machine ;o)

You can get a USB card, or you should be able to find a USB-MacSerial adapter out there as well. Check macwarehouse.com.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by homer
    Is this an old beige G3?
    Afraid so.

you should be able to find a USB-MacSerial adapter out there as well.
    I've seen adapters that plug into USB ports and allow Mac-Serial devices to be plugged in. I need the opposite. does that exist? That would be easier than a PCI card.
    Originally posted by mnartker

I've seen adapters that plug into USB ports and allow Mac-Serial devices to be plugged in. I need the opposite. does that exist? That would be easier than a PCI card.
    Sorry, nothing like that is available. You will need to go with the PCI card, they can be had for as little as $21 at http://www.macconnection.com. You can install it in less than 5 minutes and depending on which version of th OS you are running you may not even need to add any software.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the info. Just ordered a PCI card today.

Just an update:
    The USB card came... well, actually a firewire card came in the USB box. We tried to install it only to find that my Beige G3 had the "A" version of the ROM. The card only works with the later ones. Maybe I'll get a new computer. Or, maybe I'll have to continue doing CAD with my 1 button mouse.
    Last edited by mnartker; 08/08/2001 at 10:22 PM.