Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A while back one Sunday morning I was driving down the street near my home when suddenly something I saw made me screech to a halt. Next to a battered metal garbage can, (I wonder what you do with a garbage can when you want to get rid of it. Hmm...) a shovel with a broken handle and a railroad tie sat a little discarded Compaq Presario which bore a striking resemblance to R2D2 from the front. I originally intended to scavenge parts, but It was just so cute that I couldn't bear to hack it to pieces. It will run any OS of the roughly 1/2 dozen I tried but not windows. Hmm..

Anyway, back to the intended subject. I considered all of the things I knew about this computer when I chose the name. It looks like R2D2. It is a Compaq. It's not satisfied to do the same thing as the masses. And most importantly, it's from the streets. No, I don't have too much time on my hands, I just often enjoy pondering silly things.

The perfect name for this Computer is "Artupaq".

Anyone else have a good computer name?
    I'm not too creative, so I just pick names out of the air.:-)

My pc are: Picard, Locutus, Buffy, Angel, and Rommi (which I think I spelled it wromg but she is the avatar for Andromeda).

See A theme?

Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Well when I needed a theme for the LAN at my house, I chose to call it Olympus. All of the computer names are mythological figures. For example the computer that I am on now is Zeus.
    Hydrogen and Oxygen make up Water, the network
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    My puter's name is "Daddy".
    My home computers are named after the person that uses them. Pretty boring, but it works.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    i follow the "cat" rule. ie, it doesn't need a name cause it doesn't come when i call it.

mc
    One PC, my game machine, is "PLAY" on the network. This one, with all my work applications is "WORK". My wife's laptop is "WORRY", since she does that alot. Our rarely used 4th PC on the home network is "REST". It's in the bedroom.

My Visor Platinum is "Marilyn" (also a platinum...). My wife's solo is "Napolean" (also a Solo).

I'm building a PC in a black case with all black accessories. I'm grooming it to move into the home theater. The only color on it is a red square center front on the case where a company logo usually goes. I call him "Moscow" (also has a red square) at the moment. Once in the home theater I might call him "Cine-man".

Yes, I've got too much free time.

Dave
    There is nothing yet made by man that cannot be improved upon.
    Originally posted by creole
    My puter's name is "Daddy".
    I guess you always know "Who's your daddy."

I named my Mac G4's primary hard disk "Gee Whiz" and am still trying to concoct something more imaginitive.
    The secondary drive is "Heinz" because it's 57 GB after formatting.
    My old Performa Mac was "Performacon" after a toy robot.
    My Amiga was "The Beast." I had to do battle with it on a daily basis.
    The Ataris didn't get names (just "the 800," "the 1200," etc); the first family PC was Franklin (name of the maker).
    My car is "The Great Heap" (both descriptive and a Star Wars reference).
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Mine is GalleysBeBox, 'cause I use BeOS.
    Be Inc. used to make their own PC's which was called a BeBox. Below is an image of the last model they made. The two LED's on the front case show the CPU usage of each of the dual processors.

Last edited by Galley_SimRacer; 07/24/2001 at 03:57 PM.
    "Life is what you experience between racing games"
    Galley
    I named my edge Sancho:

1) It follows me everywhere I go
    2) It records my exploits
    3) It looks on with detached, ironic bemusement as I often make a fool of myself

Perfect, no?

Also, nobody's figured out why I named my car Ahura (from a previous thread.) It's because of the make, and because of my favorite Holy Text
    you mean you guys name your computers? i only name my ... never mind.

yeah, i wrote that ...
    At work, I named our domain Sol (not S.O.L., but Sol as in Solar), and our servers:
    -Mercury
    -Venus
    -Earth
    -Mars
    -Asteroidbelt
    -Jupiter
    -Saturn
    -Transneptunian

With Neptune, Uranus, Pluto and Kupierbelt (sp?) soon to come. When I run out, I'll start hitting moons and/or comets. It really shouldn't be a problem as we have too darn many servers anyway.

Yeah, it's boring but you asked...
    --
    ThirdMan
    At work I've got Oblina, The Gromble, Ickis, and Krumm. I haven't named it at home, and my visor is ... well, my visor.
    Originally posted by snippet
    At work I've got Oblina, The Gromble, Ickis, and Krumm.
    AAAHH!
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
  16.    #16  
    Originally posted by Yorick

AAAHH!
    Real Monsters?

You know, I always wondered if AAAHH was the sound of a frightful scream or the sound one makes as they settle into a warm bubble bath.
    snippet's server names are from ARM, yes
    you are correct sir, it is AAAHH!!!

i don't see the show anymore...my memory is fading....
    doesn't air anymore does it? haven't noticed it in a long time. I'm not a huge fan but I enjoyed it.
    The names usually come from mythology or suggested by the 'puters form factor.
    When I get a little money I buy books; if any is left, I buy food and clothes.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast