Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Originally posted by mnartker
    Start collecting old cast-away machines.
    Done that...

Then build your own home network. That way you can name them anything you like.
    Done that, but they all ended up with some variant of the processor speed Looking for somethine more imaginative (and lil guy and big guy just won't work--there are four machines). Any ideas? None are Compaqs...yet (I've got 2 in the attic that might become routers)
    Tim
    <A HREF="http://vbq1.tripod.com/"></A>
    LOL! In regards to Compaq...I've alway's found it ironic that the word ComPaq stands for Compatbility and Quality, yet their machines have neither of these qualities.

Sorry to go off topic.
    If you're using cast-away machines, there's only one solution:

Gilligan, The Skipper, Ginger, MaryAnn....
  4.    #44  
    Originally posted by thatch

Any ideas? None are Compaqs...yet (I've got 2 in the attic that might become routers)
    How about:
    Little Rascals characters
    Kiss band members
    Super Friends
    Psychic Friends
    Jazz Musicians
    Brady Bunch characters
    Bozo Circus characters
    GoGo's band members
    Things you'd find in your fridge
    past significant others
    (let's see, whose gets linked to the Compaq?)
    smurfs
    varieties of hot peppers
    GoldenGirls
    Beverly Hillbillies
    '20 gangsters
    gangster rappers
    Care Bears
    Poke..men? mons??
    Japanese animated characters
    pop teen idols
    Scooby Doo guest stars

OK, I'll stop. There are some ideas. Some are good. Some are bad. Maybe some are good jumping off points.
    BTW, I like dietrichbohn's idea of Gilligan's Island characters. Then, additional machines could be guest stars who mysteroiusly made it off the island. Enjoy.
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    If you're using cast-away machines, there's only one solution:

Gilligan, The Skipper, Ginger, MaryAnn....
    ROTFLMAO!!

thatch, this isn't the URL I was thinking of, but it does list the origins of the names of the moons (along with a bunch o other stuff).
    http://www.good.co.uk/oneworld/planets.htm

Alphabetical list of minor planet names:
    (probably not helpful towards naming a computer, but interesting anyway and slightly related to this post)
    http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/lists/MPNames.html
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Hi,

My two Windows machines are called 700mhz and 800mhz. Guess why... The linux machine is named kzero (in a former life, I was a particle physicist).

My Visor Deluxe never got a name. The Visor Platinum I bought this morning probably won't either. Does anybody name theirs?
    If I was to name my Visor, It'd be Salia. Star Trek reference...only because certain people would freak if I named the thing Weyoun (personality fits).
    Tim
    <A HREF="http://vbq1.tripod.com/"></A>
    I will name my Clie, Taurus. I don't know why.
    Originally posted by olendorf
    I will name my Clie, Taurus. I don't know why.
    I'm sure it's not because it's [say it out loud] bull-clie.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    I have an IBM ThinkPad T600 that I named "Machashebeth" which is a Hebrew word for "Think" or "Plan". The word is originally about weaving but it is also translated as "Machine" periodically in the Hebrew Bible. My ThinkPad is a "Thinking Machine" - hence - "Machashebeth".

BTW, "Machashebeth" is the word translated as "Plans" in the passage:
    Jeremiah 29:11 -
    For I know the plans I have for you, says the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

For all the predestinarians out there, consider what this passage means when you substitute the words "Thoughts" or even "weavings" in the place of the word "plans".
    dcloye's post made me think of Macbeth, due to the spelling of the word, and now I have a new name for the "Gee Whiz" hard drive (see above) of my Macintosh: Mac Beth.

I also misread "predestinarians" as "pedestrians" at first ...
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123