Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    Also, nobody's figured out why I named my car Ahura (from a previous thread.) It's because of the make, and because of my favorite Holy Text
    You drive a Mazda. Ahura-mazda is one way to anglicize the name of one of the principal gods of Zoroastrianism.
    Originally posted by reeseman
    You drive a Mazda. Ahura-mazda is one way to anglicize the name of one of the principal gods of Zoroastrianism.
    Yepthatsityoubetcha! Ahura-mazda's the good one, I might add!
    Japanese words. My current desktop at work is Tsunami, and it's about to get replaced with Akira (new, faster machine). Or weather-related words (Forceten, Typhoon, the cloud types, etc.).

For a while in our lab, we used names of moons (Callisto, Europa, Io, Phobos, Ganymede).

Others:
    Twoproc (our first dual-processor machine), but that was voted down due to its context (the dead rapper), so it was changed to ElGrande (two 500Mhz procs = 1000 = one grand)

Eightball (my first useful home PC, an AMD 486DX2-80 - 'member those?)

Denali (my work laptop, which I'm using to type this - a travelling, outdoorsy kind of name)

Zubat (my backup testing machine, named during my kids' Pokemon period)
    I guess you could say my desktop at home has a name. I've been known to cry out, "You piece of CR*P!", very loudly in it's general direction many times. (Strangely, I haven't been compelled to call a person that in years, just that computer, a Compaq)

My laptop is called the 'Fuji'. I never yell at it. It has been a good friend.
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
    My aging HP 200 LX is Palmella; my Visor Deluxe was Bart (as in Connor - he did handsprings...); my Platinum is Nadia (ditto); my old Dell was Dellbert; my new Dell is Della. I've had various others, mostly portables and handhelds - all named. How do I name them? I ask them thier names!
    Life is not a dress rehearsal!
    Originally posted by ThirdMan
    At work, I named our domain Sol (not S.O.L., but Sol as in Solar), and our servers:
    -Mercury
    -Venus
    -Earth
    -Mars
    -Asteroidbelt
    -Jupiter
    -Saturn
    -Transneptunian

With Neptune, Uranus, Pluto and Kupierbelt (sp?) soon to come. When I run out, I'll start hitting moons and/or comets. It really shouldn't be a problem as we have too darn many servers anyway.

Yeah, it's boring but you asked...
    Copycat! just joking. Most of the computers here at work are named after moons in the solar system. For example, the computer I am using right now is Enceladus, my favorite is Tethys (but it is being used right now), and the slow poke at my desk is Himalia. I work at the LUNAR and PLANETARY Lab so what would you expect?

BTW, Transneptunian and Kuiper Belt are used to describe the same thing, a belt of icy bodies orbiting between 29 AU (the distance of Neptune) and 50 AU. If you wanna keep going with Sol-orbiting object and want to be cutting edge, try Varuna which is the name of a 1000-km sized object from the Edgeworth-Kuiper Belt discovered last year. There is another one about 1200 km across discovered last month but that one does not have a name. For comparison, Pluto is 2400 km across and the largest asteroid is 950 km across.

Jason
    Originally posted by BobbyMike
    [...] a Compaq [...]
    There's your answer. Just remember: You can't say Presario without saying 'sorry'.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    "There's your answer. Just remember: You can't say Presario without saying 'sorry'."

Absurd, but true....

The really sorry thing is that for what I paid for this hunk o' plastic I can get a 1.5 gig Dell now. Oh well, I was ignorant before I was sorry.
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
  9.    #29  
    Originally posted by davecombs
    Twoproc (our first dual-processor machine), but that was voted down due to its context (the dead rapper)
    Shh. My computer Artupaq may be listening.

BobbyMike- don't worry, eventually some of the proprietary parts in your compaq will give up and you too will kick it to the curb so some knucklehead with more ambition than common sense can pick it up (just like my good old Artupaq.)

Then you can get that Dell
    I had named one of my old computers "Memory Alpha", after the computer planet in the classic Star Trek episode "The Lights of Zetar".

I considered names like "Colossus" and "HAL", but they were a little over the top.
    --
    SURREAL SAGE SEZ: Ford carried on counting quietly. This is about the most aggressive thing you can do to a computer, the equivalent of going up to a human being and saying Blood...blood...blood...
    "You piece of CR*P!", very loudly [...] a Compaq)
    shouldn't that be, "You piece of Compaq!" ?
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    "BobbyMike- don't worry, eventually some of the proprietary parts in your compaq will give up and you too will kick it to the curb so some knucklehead with more ambition than common sense can pick it up"

I'm not waiting for that to happen, next month I get the Dell and this computer is being downgraded to my sons. My youngest already killed the floppy by jamming about 100 of my business cards into it. (I know it was apprx. 100 'cause I got them out.) All their software is on CDs and they can beat it to death for all I care. I love it no more.

"shouldn't that be, "You piece of Compaq!" ?"

No, not until the word 'Compaq' takes on the same connotation as the word cr*p in common usage (which may be soon).
    At work we name the computer after their users, e.g. mine is "Jonathan's computer", etc. etc. etc.

Home I never saw a need to name it. Even if I would call it it would never answer.
    Jonathan
    No, not until the word 'Compaq' takes on the same connotation as the word cr*p in common usage (which may be soon).
    Actually, that 'sorry' line comes from people I know who service Presarios (as well as other Compaqs). On that particular line, there have been some problems in the past. Compaq's business offerings (DeskPros and Proliant servers) OTOH, historically have a pretty good reputation.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    As a software developer, I periodically get a new PC at work and bing on a network, I need a better name that the default which is usually something like "CompaqDeskPro". I've been naming mine after scientists I admire: Darwin & Sagan, so far.

I don't have a name for my VDX. I just call it 'my Visor' or 'my VDX' to those in the know, or those really out of it 'my Palm' or 'my PalmPilot".

I was always intending to use the name of the woman who corresponded with Babbage about techniques to program his 'difference engine'. But I just looked her up and I found her name was Ada Lovelace. Obviously Lovelace is out, I don't want to use Ada because of the programming language, and I don't want to use ADALOVELACE because it's too long.

Maybe I'll call my next PC HOPPER.
    Jeff
    As I said before, the computers at work are named after moons. At home, I name the computers after volcanoes on Io. My Windows computer is named Pillan because when it crashes/erupts, it's a major crash/eruption. My linux computer is named Tvashtar for the same reason. My VDX is named Tejeto. Finally, my laptop is named Isum.
    Originally posted by volcanopele
    As I said before, the computers at work are named after moons. At home, I name the computers after volcanoes on Io. My Windows computer is named Pillan because when it crashes/erupts, it's a major crash/eruption. My linux computer is named Tvashtar for the same reason. My VDX is named Tejeto. Finally, my laptop is named Isum.
    That's really sort of imaginative...where can us non-enlightened people find information on object names within our solar system?
    Tim
    <A HREF="http://vbq1.tripod.com/"></A>
    You people are lucky. At my job we support hundreds of servers and thousands of desktop machines, and we have to have a standardized naming convention, if only for inventory purposes. Once a year the bean counters give us a list of assets and some poor schmuck has to go and identify them, usually by the serial number. So our desktop PCs are named something like HCCTC0034567. The name includes the serial number. Servers are named something like HCCTCFS01. It's so boring, it's a crime, but that is how it is out in the cold world of network support. We have to be able to look at a name and be able to tell which department has it and what is is used for.
    Originally posted by thatch
    That's really sort of imaginative...where can us non-enlightened people find information on object names within our solar system?
    Many are named for Greek and Roman mythological characters (as in Jupiter, Pluto, Charon, Io, etc). Neptune's moons were named for Shakespearean characters (Titania is one).
    I'll get back to you on a specific web resource; the URL has disappeared from my bookmarks.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
  20.    #40  
    Originally posted by reeseman
    You people are lucky. At my job we support hundreds of servers and thousands of desktop machines, and we have to have a standardized naming convention, if only for inventory purposes.
    Start collecting old cast-away machines. Then build your own home network. That way you can name them anything you like. After all, you can't really call me lucky. One of my computers is an old Compaq Presario.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast