Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
  1.    #121  
    As I listened to the Sunday shout shows, and to Obama and friends react to the TRILLION DOLLAR BAILOUT -- I could not help but realize that if the situation were in anyway reversed (that it had been the Democrats who had brought about the worst economic catastrophe since the Great Depression) -- then the GOP would have been so relentless in driving home repeatedly the depth of Democratic responsibility, that Democrats would have been unelectable for generations...
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/21/2008 at 10:23 PM. Reason: bad original writing...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    As I listened to the Sunday shout shows, and to Obama and friends react to the TRILLION DOLLAR BAILOUT -- I could not help but realize that if the situation were in anyway reversed -- that had it been the Democrats who had brought about the worst economic catastrophe since the Great Depression -- the GOP would have been so than relentless in driving home repeatedly the depth of Democratic responsibility Democrats that they would have been unelectable fir generations.
    What is even more galling is that they still keep chanting their usual "tax and spend liberal" claims and people believe it. The GOP is about as fiscally responsible as a crack ***** with some new found money in her pocket after her latest trick. Staggering deficits. Staggering debt...to China no less...and they have the nerve to say the Dems are "tax and spend liberals" who want big government?
  3.    #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    What is even more galling is that they still keep chanting their usual "tax and spend liberal" claims and people believe it. The GOP is about as fiscally responsible as a crack ***** with some new found money in her pocket after her latest trick. Staggering deficits. Staggering debt...to China no less...and they have the nerve to say the Dems are "tax and spend liberals" who want big government?
    what's more moderateinny -- is that Repugs are utterly without conscience.

Whether it be on issues like originally going to war in Iraq, extending retroactive protection to telco companies who illegally wiretapped, or to how they blackmailed Democrats into continually reauthorizing funding for the forces in Iraq -- they will NEVER not exploit an advantage for themselves -- irrespective of the consequences to the nation or american unity.

(btw -- my post you quoted had some big typos subsequently fixed)
    The Republicans utterly without conscience? Wow, I guess you are just going to skip over how many advisers Obama has that have direct ties to the FF's and Leighman Brothers. Same old politics. Just words. Just speeches.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    The Republicans utterly without conscience? Wow, I guess you are just going to skip over how many advisers Obama has that have direct ties to the FF's and Leighman Brothers. Same old politics. Just words. Just speeches.
    Ummm.... wasn't Rick Davis (the head of McC's campaign) the founder of the Homeowner's Alliance, a Fannie & Freddy advocacy group, and also a lobbyist for a foreign country (Georgia)? Aren't a number of his staff lobbyists?
    Last edited by Bujin; 09/22/2008 at 06:08 AM.
    I see your response is yet another "but Obama did it too" instead of answering the accusation directly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Ummm.... wasn't Rick Davis (the head of McC's campaign) the founder of the Homeowner's Alliance, a Fannie & Freddy advocacy group, and also a lobbyist for a foreign country (Georgia)? Aren't a number of his staff lobbyists?
    It gets better than that - he has BY FAR the most lobbist on his campaign than any other candidate in the 2008 election. Apparently the "Maverick" rounded up most of K Street and drove them on over to his campaign headquarters and starting handing out jobs and promotions. But lets not let the facts get in the way of the rhetoric.

http://mediamatters.org/items/printable/200802260009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Hot off the presses:

September 22, 2008
    Loan Titans Paid McCain Adviser Nearly $2 Million

By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK and CHARLES DUHIGG
    Senator John McCain’s campaign manager was paid more than $30,000 a month for five years as president of an advocacy group set up by the mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to defend them against stricter regulations, current and former officials say.

Mr. McCain, the Republican candidate for president, has recently begun campaigning as a critic of the two companies and the lobbying army that helped them evade greater regulation as they began buying riskier mortgages with implicit federal backing. He and his Democratic rival, Senator Barack Obama, have donors and advisers who are tied to the companies.

But last week the McCain campaign stepped up a running battle of guilt by association when it began broadcasting commercials trying to link Mr. Obama directly to the government bailout of the mortgage giants this month by charging that he takes advice from Fannie Mae’s former chief executive, Franklin Raines, an assertion both Mr. Raines and the Obama campaign dispute.

Incensed by the advertisements, several current and former executives of the companies came forward to discuss the role that Rick Davis, Mr. McCain’s campaign manager and longtime adviser, played in helping Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac beat back regulatory challenges when he served as president of their advocacy group, the Homeownership Alliance, formed in the summer of 2000. Some who came forward were Democrats, but Republicans, speaking on the condition of anonymity, confirmed their descriptions.

“The value that he brought to the relationship was the closeness to Senator McCain and the possibility that Senator McCain was going to run for president again,” said Robert McCarson, a former spokesman for Fannie Mae, who said that while he worked there from 2000 to 2002, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac together paid Mr. Davis’s firm $35,000 a month. Mr. Davis “didn’t really do anything,” Mr. McCarson, a Democrat, said.
    Mr. Davis’s role with the group has bubbled up as an issue in the campaign, but the extent of his compensation and the details of his role have not been reported previously.

Mr. McCain was never a leading critic or defender of the mortgage giants, although several former executives of the companies said Mr. Davis did draw Mr. McCain to a 2004 awards banquet that the companies’ Homeownership Alliance held in a Senate office building. The organization printed a photograph of Mr. McCain at the event in its 2004 annual report, bolstering its clout and credibility. The event honored several other elected officials, including at least two Democrats, Gov. Edward G. Rendell of Pennsylvania and Representative Artur Davis of Alabama.
    In an interview Sunday night with CNBC and The New York Times, Mr. McCain noted that Mr. Davis was no longer working on behalf of the mortgage giants. He said Mr. Davis “has had nothing to do with it since, and I’ll be glad to have his record examined by anybody who wants to look at it.”

Asked about the reports of Mr. Davis’s role, a spokesman for Mr. McCain said that during the time when Mr. Davis ran the Homeownership Alliance, the senator had backed legislation to increase oversight of the mortgage companies’ accounting and executive compensation. The legislation, however, did not seek to change their anomalous structure as private companies with federal support.

The spokesman, Tucker Bounds, also noted that the Homeownership Alliance included nonprofit organizations like Habitat for Humanity and the Urban League. “It’s not controversial to promote homeownership and minority homeownership,” Mr. Bounds said. More than a half-dozen current and former executives, however, said the Homeownership Alliance was set up mainly to defend Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac by promoting their role in the housing market, and the two companies paid almost the entire cost of the group’s operations.

“They were financed largely, possibly exclusively, by Fannie and Freddie,” said William R. Maloni, a Democrat who is a former head of industry relations for Fannie Mae. “We thought it would be helpful to have someone who was a broadly recognized Republican to be the face of the organization, and that person became Rick Davis.” Mr. Maloni added, “Rick, for that purpose, turned out to be quite good.” (Several executives said Mr. Davis’s compensation was not unusual for the companies’ well-connected consultants.)

The federal bailout of the two mortgage giants has become an emblem of what critics say is the outdated or inadequate regulatory system that allowed the financial system to slide into crisis this summer.

At the time that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac recruited Mr. Davis to run the Homeownership Alliance in 2000, they were under new pressure from private industry rivals and deregulation-minded Republicans who argued that the two companies’ federal sponsorship gave them an unfair advantage and put taxpayers at risk. Critics of the companies had formed their own Washington-based advocacy group, FM Watch. They were pushing for regulations that would deter the companies from expanding into new areas, including riskier and more profitable mortgages.

Mr. Davis had recently returned to his lobbying firm from running Mr. McCain’s unexpectedly strong 2000 Republican primary campaign, which elevated Mr. McCain’s profile as a legislator and Mr. Davis’s as a lobbyist.
    “You can say what you want about free-market distortions, but people like the system because it gets them into houses cheap,” Mr. Davis said to Institutional Investor magazine in 2000, adding that he would run the advocacy group out of his Alexandria, Va., lobbying firm.

The organization also hired Public Strategies, a communications firm that included former Bush adviser Mark McKinnon. Mr. Davis wrote letters and gave speeches for the group. In April 2001, he sent out a press release headlined, “It’s Tax Day — Do You Know Where Your Deductions Are? For Most Americans, They’re in Your Home.”
    But by the end of 2005, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were recovering from accounting problems and re-examining costs, former executives said. The companies decided the Homeownership Alliance had outlived its usefulness, and it disappeared.
  9.    #129  
    Hot off the presses:

Can you imagine being Rick Davis or McSame, and approving these attacks on Obama ?? talk about people who need to use the Google to learn what ethics or a conscience is ...
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/22/2008 at 10:02 AM.
    And now we have an ommission that Obama is as guilty as McCain, thank you - that has been the point all along.
    And now we have an ommission that Obama is as guilty as McCain, thank you - that has been the point all along.
    Not even you believe that....

You keep RUNNING from defending McSame and can't bring a logical argument against Obama....

I am enjoying everyone tearing your posts apart and watching you flounder like a fish on shore.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Not so fast big guy...did you even bother reading this? http://mediamatters.org/items/printable/200802260009
  13.    #133  
    Obama handled McSame's: "i need a timeout -- my dog ate my homework..."
    pleading to cancel Friday's debate, well

-- I hope he does as well during the debate itself
    Well, just remember who does the most stumbling without the prompter and that just might give you an impression to go by. Both can be effective speakers.
    Once again, look at the history of it - the backing that Obama has - there really are terrorists in Obama's back ground that believe they did not do enough and that just does not exist with McCain.

Not so fast big guy...did you even bother reading this? http://mediamatters.org/items/printable/200802260009
    Once again, look at the history of it - the backing that Obama has - there really are terrorists in Obama's back ground that believe they did not do enough and that just does not exist with McCain.
    Apparently you've never heard of G Gordon Liddy - whom I trust you think is a fine American.

BTW - feel free to define "association" as I've asked you to several dozen posts ago now.
    Liddy - did he kill anyone? Terrorist? Really? No, he did not kill anyone. Terrorist? Not at all, politics. You really are not hitting the nail at all. There is NO comparison between Liddy and Bill the now professor who states he did not do enough.
    Ummm....McCain's running mate is married to a former member of a party that advocated secession from the union? And he had an active, "shadow" role in her administration?
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Really? Read closer. I see you changed the post. What would you call Hillary's role in Billy's administration? You are doing a lousy job here.

Your original post was:
    Ummm....McCain's running mate was a member of a secessionist party?
    Liddy - did he kill anyone? Terrorist? Really? No, he did not kill anyone. Terrorist? Not at all, politics. You really are not hitting the nail at all. There is NO comparison between Liddy and Bill the now professor who states he did not do enough.
    Liddy wanted to kill. Liddy may have killed for all you know. Liddy is a political hit man and the worst kind - the kind capable of committing crimes at any nearly any costs. He is also not an American and may as well be a terrorist.

The point on association seems to be something you'd rather dodge than address directly. But we all know why - admitting that Obama's "terrorists" associations are at best flimsy and that you have to make a pretty HUGE leap to claim that Obama advocated an anarchist's positions.

Now again, if you'd like to play this silly association game - or as you'd call it, guilt by association, then please let’s do that. Keating 5, Liddy, Lobbist, PACs, etc. etc. McSame has made plenty of his own bad choices. I happen to think he made a very bad one with the Keating family, but like to think he was not knowledgeable of or complicit in the Keating crimes. But obviously, I'm a more reasonable person than you are and I realize this race is about much more than thinly supported rhetoric about whose associations are worse than the others.

But feel free to spew some more broad wild-a$$ guess and assertions. It makes you sound further and further to the right than Pailn and Cheney combined.
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast