Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post

Back to Android. They crippled the G1. That was a BAD move! No A2DP, no 3.5mm jack, stupidly low data caps. No thanks on the first version.
    all true -- the omissions are just odd -- what's with the headphone jack ?? the data cap ????!!??

No A2DP - is bad -- but does the iPhone it yet ?
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  2.    #42  
    No, but that's one reason why the G1 SHOULD have had it! And if it really has no copy and paste...

Back on topic, I see the Sony 8GB flash player will be released soon. Excellent build and sound quality on Sony MP3 players!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Looks like the data cap is coming off -- it would have been a paperweight otherwise

There are still some regrettable and dumb hardware choices -- the headphone jack, stereo bluetooth -- but the fact that the platform is much more open than the Jobs phone means that it has a far more promising future. A year from now the second gen Android G2 will be the one to own

T-Mobile uncaps data plan ahead of Google phone
    Thu Sep 25 Reuters
    NEW YORK - In advance of the new Google phone, T-Mobile USA has changed the wording of the user agreement for its wireless data network and no longer claims the right to slow surfing to a crawl once a subscriber goes over a monthly usage limit...

Last edited by BARYE; 09/25/2008 at 09:54 PM.
  4.    #44  
    Funny cartoon, LOL!

Good thing they dropped the data caps, that was a horrible move.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5.    #45  
    Pulled the trigger on an 8GB purple one. We'll see how it goes, I already loaded it up almost, LOL! Maybe I should have gotten the 16GB. Sound isn't as horrible as I expected, with a good pair of earphones.

Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    lest my multitude of critics say once again that I'm being churlish -- that BARYE is jealous of Steve Jobs, envious of his success, his fame, of how he is worshiped like a God -- I say nonsense.

BARYE is a big enough of a monkey to admit frankly that there's much he likes about the iPhone -- fingering its motion flow albums, contacts, and emails -- I love the screen, the natural way it flows between portrait and landscape, the way it handles and displays voicemails, the way it handles internet browsing -- the way it shows films...

But not having cut and paste ?? -- not having a way to easily bring my own DVDs and movies into it through SDs -- not having FM ?? -- not having a real keyboard ????

(Granted, I touch type with my toes, so this is a feature that's arguably more important to me than to some of you -- nevertheless -- I suspect that even some of you hunt and peck with your toe thumbs on real keyboards sometimes...)

I attended a conference this weekend -- I was invited to lecture on preserving capital when losing power; and the benefits and challenges of becoming a stateless refugee -- and there was an entire room set up with beautiful big screened Macs awaiting attendees use.

My first reaction I confess was mild alarm -- in a world where more than 90% of users use Windows -- what kind of snobbery would make the organizers put out a roomful of Macs ?? Nevertheless wanting to demonstrate my open mindedness, to show that I was not so old that I couldn't learn new tricks -- I gave it a shot. I played with it. I went and browsed.

I’ve been using computers -- Windows computers -- for nearly a month now, so I guess I could fairly be described as an expert. I’m regularly asked by colleagues and friends to explain how to both copy -- and paste.

One of the features of Windows that has enabled me to become so proficient so fast (in addition to the Windows being available in my local Corsican language -- though what’s with that pesky warning about this copy of Windows may not be legal ??) is the provision for me to right click whatever I’m doing -- and get a menu of options appropriate to the context.

Try as I might -- and I slammed that Mac mouse on the desk on its right side repeatedly -- hard -- no context menus appeared.

As I regularly show in this forum, I am not at all hesitant to share my knowledge and expertise with anyone who should ask.

So Steve -- should you be reading this -- despite our past differences, my hating Quicktime, my being befuddled by FCP -- shoot me a PM and I’d be happy to show you myself if necessary, how to both copy -- and paste.

BARYE
    Now I know BARYE has had a bit of a bumpy past with Apple -- that there have been times when it could even be said that I've been churlish and unappreciative of Steve's gifts -- that some have even accused me of being both jealous and resentful of the way Steve's followers idolize him (in contrast to the harsh way that humans sometimes receive BARYE, though BARYE is clearly more intelligent, wise, and modest...)

Well as much as it pains me to acknowledge anything that Jobs does, I'm nevertheless forced to recognize what is a truly revolutionary Apple innovation in the Human Interface space:

Being introduced at this, the last MacWorld, this week -- it is finally an interface mechanism that will seamlessly allow monkeys like me to mind meld with our computers.

Steve -- you have really outdone yourself this time...
    Last edited by BARYE; 01/06/2009 at 05:24 AM.
    Now I know BARYE has had a bit of a bumpy past with Apple -- that there have been times when it could even be said that I've been churlish and unappreciative of Steve's gifts -- that some have even accused me of being both jealous and resentful of the way Steve's followers idolize him (in contrast to the harsh way that humans receive BARYE, though BARYE is clearly more intelligent, wise, and modest...)

Well as much as it pains me to acknowledge anything that Jobs does, I'm nevertheless forced to recognize what is a truly revolutionary Apple innovation in the Human Interface space:

Being introduced at this, the last MacWorld, this week -- it is finally an interface mechanism that will seamlessly allow monkeys like me to mind mend with our computers.

Nice...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  8.    #48  
    iTunes finally went DRM free. Good news!

However that new MacBook Pro with no removable battery??? BAD!! Why does Apple think laptops should have NON-removable batteries??? That's one of the worst ideas ever!!! You have to erase and back up somewhere else the data off the laptop before sending it in to get a battery replacement, due to security and data loss prevention. What a HUGE hassle!!!!

Haha...suckers.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    iTunes finally went DRM free. Good news!

However that new MacBook Pro with no removable battery??? BAD!! Why does Apple think laptops should have NON-removable batteries??? That's one of the worst ideas ever!!! You have to erase and back up somewhere else the data off the laptop before sending it in to get a battery replacement, due to security and data loss prevention. What a HUGE hassle!!!!
    hmmm -- BARYE was all ready to feel that same way when I first heard about that "dumb" unreplacable battery, Diva, despite my being one of the intertube's most obsessive Apple fan boyz.

in this case its not as nutty as it seems.

By creating a custom battery whose form completely occupies the available interior space, they got 40% more volume of battery; by using a custom lithium chemistry they got more amp hours -- as long as 7 hours on a charge; and by engineering it to have chips on each cell the charging and use is optimized so that this laptop is supposed to get 1000 recharge cycles -- 3X more than normal.

If thats all true the design compromise of having a battery that would need to be sent in to be replaced would be worth it -- especially if they'd warranty it for 3 years (???) -- by which time the laptop would be replaced anyway probably.

But as to whether that 17" MBP is worth anything close to the extortionate joke that Jobs is seeking for it -- that's another question entirely ...
    Last edited by BARYE; 01/08/2009 at 11:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    Haha...suckers.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Nice...

I created that youTube "site" TreocentralOT a couple of months ago mostly to have a place to show news video of stuff germane to things that are being discussed here. I've never linked that site to anywhere but here.

That the videos posted on that site have only gotten a few hits was a little dissapointing but not unexpected. I've only made reference to videos there a couple of times.

Until I posted that of the MacBook Wheel.

Incredibly well done -- I only wish I had half the talent that went into making it. In 24 hours or so its gotten something like 35,000 hits. A google search for: "MacBook Wheel" ranked TreocentralOT as high as 5th (now 6th) out of nearly 2 million.

One of the more interesting and informing parts of being a bystander to all this is the more than 200 comments generated.

At least ten percent are from folks who in their innocence, literally don't see the Onion piece for what it is. I imagine these folks as either romantic and sweet meaning -- or as perhaps gullible consumers, the kind that reflexively buy cubic zirconium bracelets on QVC, or MacBook Airs...

If anyone's interested, here's a partial sampling of some these comments:

I don't understand. The battery can only power up the device for only 19 minutes??? If so it's not so good as it looks.

how is this going to replace the keyboard?
    the guy took 45 min to wright an email!!!
    its just a giant ipod.
    what a load of crap lol.

i think that looks a lot harder to use and more time consuming than a keyboard, O_o

Could you imagine "wheeling" a 20 page term paper?

exclusively for idiots who dont know how to type

this is most worse stupid **** I've ever seen!!! Mac are tight, but they got obsessed with the iPod!! Just imagine to type an 15 page essay for a next day turn in at skool??? And the price is ****ty! I wouldn't pay for it for ****!!! I would like to have it only if they give it to me for free! LOL Cuz I can't deny its kinda tempted to own a labtop that looks like an iPod and just have it for collection! hahaha!

haha this is great. i didnt get it until the lady said the thing about the sudoku killer!

this is the stupidest thing i have ever seen it looks like a giant ipod, why would you want that, why would you want a mac period, they suck. and i gaint wheel thats just stupid, i would why rather have a key board, who wants to type a email for 50 minutes

WOW TYPING LOOKS SOOO LONGGGGGGGGGGGGG i rather stick ot my keyboard

wow, thats so dumd it would take forever to write something

lol... I still like the traditional keyboard.

this is soo stupid do you really think you can type fast with that peice of **** what the hell is that dude omg apple go shoot urself this is the single most stupid thing ive ever seen apple do seriously theres nothing theve done more stupid then this unless this pos was like 200$ seriously apple go pull the funding please i mean if ur that stupid u shouldnt be on a laptop

This will be the BIGGEST flop EVER. what they don't realize is that you will not be able to do blind typing...you have to keep looking at the wheel and keyboard pop up panel which covers half of the screen...what kind of user experience is that??

Virtualy unbreakable unless dropped or hit
    by your logic everything is unbreakable hahaha
    i like a few things about macs but this wheel thing is a joke right?

I prefer having a computer with a real keyboard.

It is highly recommanded for elder people, they hate QWERTY keyboard. If it's not a joke from Apple, then I see what gonna be on the list of World Most Stupid Product 2009
    Last edited by BARYE; 01/08/2009 at 10:50 AM.
  12.    #52  
    What happens if the battery is found to be bad though(before 3 years are up)? Or someone has isolated battery problems? Replacable batteries can be sent back and replaced without sending in your precious laptop and all the hassle of worrying about your data.

I also have seen complaints that Apple stripped some ports off this laptop too. Apple is becoming looks over function, WAY too much. They apparently didn't heed the disappointments of their MacBook customers. I'm sorry, but gaming PC laptops are sold with similar or better specs, and are a better deal IMO. I think Apple is shooting itself in the foot because mainly only die-hard Apple fans will buy their new laptops. I remember when the Powerbook was a seriously good laptop and it was not as bad to pay more. But these new "toyish" laptops AREN'T.

Since it's an Apple, it might not be possible, but you could just take your hard drive out before you send it in, rather than having to back up. Some companies frown on this, though (cough...HP...cough).

That's why next business day on-site warranties rock! I don't know if Apple has those, though. They probably see the whole "sending your laptop in" experience as your laptop's visit to Apple Mecca.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
  14.    #54  
    Just curious. What does HP expect you to do to protect your data?

Now I know BARYE has had a bit of a bumpy past with Apple -- that there have been times when it could even be said that I've been churlish and unappreciative of Steve's gifts -- that some have even accused me of being both jealous and resentful of the way Steve's followers idolize him (in contrast to the harsh way that humans sometimes receive BARYE, though BARYE is clearly more intelligent, wise, and modest...)

Being introduced at this, the last MacWorld, this week -- it is finally an interface mechanism that will seamlessly allow monkeys like me to mind meld with our computers.

On this the twenty-fifth anniversay of the introduction of the Mac -- a machine I've never understood -- I'd be remiss not to acknowledge Steve, especially given his recent trevails.

One of this planet's truly great and original humans, I sincerely hope he regains his health and lives a long and creative life.

Though I love each and every TreoCentraler here like my very own flesh and blood, I'd happily contribute one or more of their livers if it might make you well Steve.

(I'd gladly volunteer my own of course, were it not that as a Simian, our components are incompatible -- sort of like Mac's and PC's ...)

Steve Jobs, chained to a rock

He was a Titan who stole fire from the gods and gave to mankind the tool that allowed mortals to rise above the beasts. For his sins, Jupiter had him chained to a rock on Mount Caucasus. Every day a vulture feasted on his liver, which grew back overnight.

Steve Jobs, who announced on Wednesday that he is taking a medical leave to focus on his health, must feel something like poor Prometheus, chained to his rock in the hills above Palo Alto...

On Friday, Guglielmo, joined this time by John Lauerman and Dina Bass, reported that Jobs is considering a liver transplant...

Last edited by BARYE; 01/24/2009 at 11:00 AM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123