1.    #1  
    I've had this happen to me with 2 different 8gb thumb drives -- I transfer files to them normally, and everything seems fine. After about 2-3gb of files are dragged over to them I get corrupted files.

Files will appear to be copying successfully -- and I can usually view them view them there if I then open them.

But after I copy more than 1gb when I open the folder the files are often represented by a weird symbol and shows as zero bites.

These files cannot even be deleted until I perform on the flash drive:

properties; tools; error checking; check now--

I then run: scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors (it will not complete: automatically fix file system errors)

I have even been going to the trouble of performing a windows "stop" of the USB storage (safely remove hardware) , before removing it -- all to no avail ...

I've done a reformat of the thumb drive (fat32) -- same problem.

These are 2 different brands of 8gb drives -- what am I doing wrong ??

Is it the result of bad computer management, bad luck, a problem inherent in cheap 8gb flash media, or a message from god.

Does any one with greater geek cred than me have any ideas ??
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/05/2008 at 09:04 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    Does any one with greater geek cred than me have any ideas ??
    Is there such a creature?

Since the same this has happened to two diff drives I gotta lean towards some problem with the computer or the install?

Just seems unlikely two different drives would become corrupt.
    It does seem unlikely. Try using a different computer. If that makes no difference, then someone else will have to suggest something.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Is there such a creature?

Since the same this has happened to two diff drives I gotta lean towards some problem with the computer or the install?

Just seems unlikely two different drives would become corrupt.

Though BARYE does not so much like to talk about himself, there is within him I confess, a constant struggle.

Between his famous honesty, and his renowned modesty.

In this case alas, his renowned modesty prevailed ...

The thumb drive problem is being seen on at least 3 different PCs (all running XP)

The only thing they (1 laptop, 2 desktops) have in common is that I am the only one who has tweaked and has Admin rights to them.

I can't imagine I did anything that can account for this. No one else is getting routine corruption on their thumb drives.

None of these PCs have any other issue -- no spyware, virus, or flakiness (aside from their administrator). There are many more PCs I can check these USB drives on -- but right now I'm leaning to the improbable answer being that both these drives are separately bad. (they were both independently bought as new on Ebay.)

I just did a long Dell support call on this issue -- and they were basically baffled too (but there are many things that baffle them, so its hard to know...)

I'll probably reformat these drives and check out some PCs that I don't control -- in case the problem originates with something AVG is powerless to protect against-- a BARYE infection.

Otherwise I'll buy another drive -- this time not from ebay ...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmHead View Post
    It does seem unlikely. Try using a different computer. If that makes no difference, then someone else will have to suggest something.
    BTW its a weird sort corruption -- it mostly happens on taking out the drive (even if doing a "stop" first -- and then reinserting it. But renaming a folder can corrupt all the files within it (data, driver, program files -- doesn't seem to matter which)

Corruption has even expressed itself as duplicating folder names and files, 5 times (there are now 5 folders names AVG anti-virus, for example).

very weird ...
    first of all, your problem might just be with the thumb drives themselves. Believe it or not, flash media is not just a commodity. There are varying levels of quality. A few years back eBay became flooded with flash media cheap copies from China, yes, real name brand fakes that had horrible problems and coruption that you describe. Currently, bluetooth earpieces are experiencing the same problem.

I would recommend buying or borrowing a good, known working unit and testing it in your enviroment. I would buy only from newegg.com or another proven, rock solid store. I have a corsair 8GB fast version (the red one). Although it was probably much, much more than you have spent, it is absolutely robust and still one of the fastest on the market. I regularly transfer multiple gigs of data and have never had any sort of corruption or problem going back and forth between Sun Solaris (Sparc), XP, and Vista both 32 and 64 bit. highly recommended.

hope this helps
    One last thing is that, since last I researched the subject, 8GB thumb drives were the biggest ones you could get with the "fast" memory. it is a technology limitation. you will see most manufacturers offer regular speed drives and performance or high speed drives. there is a huge speed difference bwcause they use different technology memory in the fast ones but it was limited to 8GB max. the newer 16, 32, 64GB and above drives use the traditional slower memory.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by car_designer View Post
    first of all, your problem might just be with the thumb drives themselves. Believe it or not, flash media is not just a commodity. There are varying levels of quality. A few years back eBay became flooded with flash media cheap copies from China, yes, real name brand fakes that had horrible problems and coruption that you describe. Currently, bluetooth earpieces are experiencing the same problem.

I would recommend buying or borrowing a good, known working unit and testing it in your enviroment. I would buy only from newegg.com or another proven, rock solid store...
    yes car_designer -- it seems as though BARYE was the victim of a vast thumb drived conspiracy --

We have already determined that one or more of BARYE's many 3 lettered enemies was behind it: CIA, KGB, GOP, FBI, FOX, or USB.

They were desperately trying to determine the date of his inevitable triumphal reconquest and blessed imperial restitution. They thought that by cleverly seeding BARYEs network with poisoned thumb drives sold from ebay, that they could somehow infiltrate his air tight network.

They clearly underestimated BARYE's staff. Everyone in our IT department is especially equipped to evaluate thumb drives -- each one of them has 4 thumbs.

I have as a result, determined to henceforth halt all ebay thumb drive acquisition -- and instead have recently bought from Newegg a 16gb adata drive -- which cost $40 minus a $15 rebate.

I have had it for about a week.

Its working well -- though you're right, its not the fastest in the world (but then neither is BARYE...)
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/15/2008 at 01:44 PM.
  9.    #9  
    there is I know, much interest in learning the denouement of BARYE's thumb drive fable...

I sent a slightly nasty note to the Ebayer who had sold me my most recent defective thumb drive -- and asked him for my money back.

He refunded it.

No argument, just a brief: "send it back, I'll look into it".

So either he is a decent guy, inadvertently selling crap -- or someone who knows he's selling crap, and giving refunds is part of the known cost of this kind of business...
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/19/2008 at 01:18 AM.