Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    though I doubt most of us would ever think of replacing our trusty Mosaic with it, I’ve just heard that this new company named Google (??) is planning to introduce some new free software for surfing the intertube tomorrow.

something called Android (??) is also supposed to use it.

(this comic tells the tale...)
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/01/2008 at 11:40 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    It put me to sleep.
    Does anyone think Google has too many irons in the fire? I hope that's the right term, LOL! But seriously, Google has it's hands in EVERYTHING. Is this good or bad for them? Are they trying to become another Microsoft? Who also has it's hands in a bit too many things if you ask me. Apple to some degree also. Branching out can be good, but be careful not to become so diluted that you end up excelling in nothing. JMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Does anyone think Google has too many irons in the fire? I hope that's the right term, LOL! But seriously, Google has it's hands in EVERYTHING. Is this good or bad for them? Are they trying to become another Microsoft? Who also has it's hands in a bit too many things if you ask me. Apple to some degree also. Branching out can be good, but be careful not to become so diluted that you end up excelling in nothing. JMO.
    I'd wish google would slow down and take something things out of beta or improve some of the properties they have purchased over the last couple of years.

Google is becoming a Microsoft... no doubt... but with much less money. lol

Then again, I can't think of anything outside of search and maps that I use google for. Everything is Microsoft or some other third party application.

I can't wait for the reaction with Chrome when certain items on google's properties will only work with their browser... sound familiar?
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I've used Opera from their beginnings -- I even paid for it a couple of times before they began giving it away.

I love Opera -- its far and away the most customizable and controlable browser -- but I've gotten half way through reading Google's comix describing "Chrome" (BARYE's a slow reader) -- and it sounds awesome.

The way its designed from the ground up to efficiently use memory, the way they've designed each browser window to be completely independent (practically eliminating most wholesale browser crashes), the way they've implemented java, virtual machines (I don't know what any of that means btw), all within an open source application -- it just seems like it has terrific potential.

Practically everything Google has touched has been improved by their involvement -- search, web mail, web storage, web applications, maps, shopping comparisons, video sharing ...

By Google hiring the smartest folks, then treating them real well, and even insisting that they use part of their work time on their own projects -- they seem to have sufficent intellectual horsepower to do good in a way that neither MS or apple ever has...
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/02/2008 at 09:42 AM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    It put me to sleep.
    I don't mean to awaken you Ben, but here's more about Google's new browser:

Google Seeks Route Around Microsoft With Chrome
    Jeremy Kirk, IDG News Service
    Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Google's surprise announcement of a new browser, Chrome, via a Web comic book could prove to be another game-changing development for the Internet in the coming years.

The browser presents a serious challenge to companies such as Microsoft and Apple, which hope their Web browsers will be the predominant ones used on the Internet and a gateway to more of their products.

With Chrome, Google is promising people faster browsing, better security and compatibility across multiple operating systems. Google ultimately sees Chrome as the doorway for broader use of its Web-based applications, which threaten the desktop-based software that has traditionally been Microsoft's domain...

...Google's announcement of Chrome "reads almost like an operating system release, not a browser release," said David Mitchell, senior vice president for IT research...

The company has also taken a new approach to dealing with JavaScript, the coding language used to create more interactive Web pages and Web services. Google has created its own virtual machine for processing JavaScript faster. It means Web services such as Gmail will, in theory, work faster.

But JavaScript can also be buggy on some Web pages and cause a browser to crash. Google says Chrome can manage that problem better, too. Tabs -- a common feature in browsers -- allow multiple Web pages to be opened. But if one of those tabs encounters bad JavaScript, the whole browser will crash. Google said that Chrome isolates those tabs so if one crashes, it doesn't crash the whole application.

...Pop-ups -- annoying boxes triggered by JavaScript -- will be isolated to an individual tab. Chrome can also block malicious programs on the Web from installing themselves on a PC's hard drive, using a technique known as sandboxing...

...code for Chrome will be open source. "It's in our interest to make the Internet better, and without competition, we have stagnation,"...

Google's Chrome project likely sprouted after worries over how Internet Explorer (IE) handles Google's applications...

"Right now Google is delivering their services mostly through IE, which is an uncomfortable situation considering that IE is not very good in terms of performance," ...
    Finally it's here for those of you who r interested.
    http://www.google.com/chrome
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by superman26 View Post
    Finally it's here for those of you who r interested.
    http://www.google.com/chrome
    that was easy -- posting from Chrome right now -- very fast download, very smooth install

It automatically spell checks as I'm typing this post (which is very cool).

only complaint so far is the lack of customizable look to the browser window -- (BARYE normally has his application window background set to a nice golden color -- to remind himself of his royal personage...)
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/02/2008 at 02:17 PM.
    ja ja ja sorry your highness also talking in third person, LOL
    Chrome is nice, but its got the same problem which is keeping me from Firefox - tab opening. shift-click opens a new page in a completely different window, which is pretty untidy.

The best browser in the world is Maxthon - it should really have a much higher profile.

Surur
    Chrome needs an adblock extension desperately... my nice clean pages in FF are now cluttered with ads...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    With all the resources at its command, Google comes up with... a new browser!!! Given all the multiple process thing... they could have named it something other than a "browser".
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Chrome is nice, but its got the same problem which is keeping me from Firefox - tab opening. shift-click opens a new page in a completely different window, which is pretty untidy.
    Try Ctrl-Shift-click to open in a new tab or Ctrl-click to open in a new background tab.

I used to think Opera was the best browser, but I just switched to Firefox 3 (along with over 25 extensions to match the features I used on Opera) because I was tired of seeing a couple of incompatible sites per month. Now I'm tired of Firefox using over 400MB in memory, and I look forward to a browser that manages memory and processes better. But I'll wait 'til Chrome gets more features.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post

I used to think Opera was the best browser, but I just switched to Firefox 3 ...
    this just further confirms for me your bad judgment samkim ...
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/03/2008 at 01:47 AM.
  15.    #15  
    After trying it out for a whole day, I'm really liking Google Chroma (beta).
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I like it too, but have to agree that it needs some ad/pop-up blocking. I can't see myself leaving FF because of the collection of extensions I use that make it "mine", but perhaps I'll force Chrome on the kids and use on occasion myself once it's more full featured. It is smooth with some nice features.
    You might want to check this out first.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...me_eula_sucks/

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.
    I always assumed that 11.1 and all other EULA stuff was standard with everything covered. Google owns us all already, including but not limited to all that one thinks and will think in the future.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast