1.    #1  
    Last night as I was laying on my couch I looked down at my wifes pomeranian and thought it was chewing on a bone. I decided to see what it was anyway. WELL! Low and behold as I pulled her from under the coffee table by her tail I could see it was one of my brand new 64MB Smartmedia cards!

After screaming at the top of my lungs and spanking the dog. I looked at the card and that damn dog had chewed the top and side of the card off almost entirely. Decided that if I could trim the card and make it work I wouldn't kill the dog. Trimmed it with a pair of scissors and plugged it into my camera and it works!!! The dog lives for another day.

Glad it wasn't the contact end of the card.

P.S. Anything I don't want chewed is now off the nightstand.
    I actually cut the top of my Smartmedia Card off so it fits flush with the MemPlug. I really like that much better. I agree, good thing it was not the important end.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Alright, I believe it can be done. Now I want to know exactly how much can be trimmed off without affecting the function of the card?

Secondly, since with my digital camera I now am collecting SM cards, I thought I'd get a SM memplug so I could share them with my Platinum. If you trim a card flush with the memplug, is it still easy to pull out? I can barely grip the exposed part of a SM card to get it out of my camera.

Thirdly, someone needs to make a wallet insert that will hold a couple or four SM cards. I've always got my wallet on me, and it seems like a safe place to store spare cards when I'm out and about with my camera/visor. I'd rather keep them in the wallet than have to carry another case of some sort. I've got a nice case for the camera. It has room for spare batteries and SM cards. It is so bulky, though, that I mostly carry my camera on it's own neckstrap without a case. Thus the need for a SM wallet insert. Another option would be a flat plastic case about shirt pocket size that will hold 2 to 4 SM cards. I've almost always got an emty shirt pocket with me.

Dave
    There is nothing yet made by man that cannot be improved upon.
    Maybe your dog was just jealous of your PDA?
    Those smartmedia cards are very thin and would probably go unnoticed on a table top to a small dog. He must have seen you place it there and wondered what it was... Smart dog if you ask me. And a 64 MB card, he has an expensive taste too.
  5.    #5  
    Just for everyones info it's a she. Which explains a lot. Very observant. When moving my desk I sat my 21in monitor on the floor and kept it there for a while. While moving the mouse the dog started following the arrow like trying to catch a fly. It's hilarious to watch.

However her habits are annoying too. Everytime we leave she either goes bezerk in her pet porter or flies out the door runs to the car door and waits for us to let her in. One time I was taking her out to pee and grab something out of the car. She snuck up behind me jumped in the car and peed in the car!!!! Oh does that dog drive me NUTS!!! Kinda like my wife now that I think about it.....Not the peeing in the car part but the driving me nuts part.

About the trimming part. I trimmed the thin border edge off. No green part of the card that's in the center. About 3/4 off the top and 1/2 off the side with the slanted corner. I was worried about shifting in the camera and I still might with part of the side being gone but so far so good. I don't think I'll put it in the memplug just yet. Besides I have one for my memplug, one for my digital camera, and one for my wife's.

Anyone looking for cheap cards go to newegg.com. 64MB cards $33. 128MB $74. And now you get $5 off if you buy the $26 reader. Not bad.
    O got my 64mb card from newegg. What gets me is that shouldnt the 128mb card be 66.00 instead of 74.oo Or less because your buying more in one card?
    Originally posted by DBrown
    Alright, I believe it can be done. Now I want to know exactly how much can be trimmed off without affecting the function of the card?

Secondly, since with my digital camera I now am collecting SM cards, I thought I'd get a SM memplug so I could share them with my Platinum. If you trim a card flush with the memplug, is it still easy to pull out? I can barely grip the exposed part of a SM card to get it out of my camera.

Thirdly, someone needs to make a wallet insert that will hold a couple or four SM cards. I've always got my wallet on me, and it seems like a safe place to store spare cards when I'm out and about with my camera/visor. I'd rather keep them in the wallet than have to carry another case of some sort. I've got a nice case for the camera. It has room for spare batteries and SM cards. It is so bulky, though, that I mostly carry my camera on it's own neckstrap without a case. Thus the need for a SM wallet insert. Another option would be a flat plastic case about shirt pocket size that will hold 2 to 4 SM cards. I've almost always got an emty shirt pocket with me.

Dave
    I cut mine off completely flush with the top of the MemPlug. It is not as easy to get out as before, but it can be done. The front of the MemPlug has the recess where you can put pressure back and up against the card. It works. Of course, right before I cut the card I kept thinking how upset I would be if the person was lying about being able to do it. Then I grabbed the XActo knife and hacked away. I had all my data on my PC and could restore it if necessary. Anyway, it works great and fits much nicer in my EB Slipper Prism.

It is my understanding that the only functioning part of the card is the little Gold part. I have no confirmation of this, but I can say the little bit I cut off did not change the function at all.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by thepromoter
    O got my 64mb card from newegg. What gets me is that shouldnt the 128mb card be 66.00 instead of 74.oo Or less because your buying more in one card?
    I completely agree. Should be like 5% to 10% cheaper. But the price has been fluctuating. Was $80 like 2 weeks ago. I'll buy when the price gets below $70. I'm hoping the ramp up in memory cards manufacturing will drive the price down quickly.
    I got my 64mb card from newegg. What gets me is that shouldnt the 128mb card be 66.00 instead of 74.oo Or less because your buying more in one card?
    Yes, it "should" be. I suspect it's a supply and demand thing. Then again it could just be a marketing trick, like they do in grocery stores. The small size of something is the most expensive. We check the medium size and it is a better buy, so we think the LARGE size will be the cheapest and don't calculate it's cost/unit. They often make the large size the most expensive, just to take advantage of those who are so trusting.

It's also possible that making 128meg cards is harder, and the process has a greater number of rejects (cards that don't work). I doubt this, though, and suspect they cost exactly the same amount to make as 8, 16, 32, and 64 meg cards do. The manufacturer thinks that those of us who want 128 meg cards already spent more on our cameras or PDAs and can afford to pay more for memory. If we bought the 4megapixel camera for $2000 then another $80 (or much more from other sources) will not seem like much to pay for 128megs. And we'll HAVE TO buy it, simply to store a few of those huge picture files. Whereas those of us who bought cheap 1.2 megapixel cameras don't need and won't want to pay alot for 128meg SM cards. For the greater number of us they have the 64meg card at a good price. I'm guessing as more 3+megapixel cameras are sold in the <$900 range we'll see large memory card prices drop. I can wait.

I personally just look for the best storage/cost. Right now that's in a 64meg sm card from newegg. Buy two if you need 128meg.

Dave
    There is nothing yet made by man that cannot be improved upon.
    Im not thinking it cost more. It prob only a bigger chip in the card. I have 2 8mb cards and 2 64mb cards. The ony difference is the size of the chip in the them. I wanted to get a 128mb for the camera and use the 64 I had for it, for the memplug. Too bad i didnt hear about newegg sooner b4 I bought my 80.00 64mb card. But it was a scandisk one and those are supposed to be pretty good. Prob no different but dont tell me that.
    Too bad i didnt hear about newegg sooner b4 I bought my 80.00 64mb card. But it was a scandisk one and those are supposed to be pretty good. Prob no different but dont tell me that.
    [for_thepromoter]Sandisk ones are much better.[/for_thepromoter]

[for_everyone_else]It makes no difference.[/for_everyone_else]

yeah, i wrote that ...