Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1.    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Ok. Where in the past of Cindy has something like the very widely acknowledged statements of Michelle been brought to light?
    all the candidates and spouses have misspoken or gaffed.

Near as I can tell, there's only one spouse who stole drugs from their charity to feed their addiction.

Cindy was born wealthy and came to be where she is because she successfully had an affair with a married man.

In contrast, Michelle is a decent, caring, well spoken lawyer who worked hard to become successful.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Michele may be a decent person, caring, well spoken lawyer who worked hard to become successful - and she is much further to the left than her husband.

What I would like to see is an in-depth report on Michelle, of the same type as done on Cindy.
  3.    #83  
    Posted without comment:

Mother of Bristol Palin's fiance arrested
    Fri Dec 19, 2008

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (Reuters) - The mother of an 18-year-old man who plans to marry Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's pregnant daughter, Bristol, has been arrested on drug charges, authorities said on Friday.

Sherry Johnston, 42, was taken into custody at her home in Wasilla, Alaska, on Thursday after an undercover narcotics investigation, Alaska State Troopers said in a statement.

She faces six counts of misconduct involving a controlled substance, said trooper spokeswoman Megan Peters. She was released on $5,000 bail shortly after her arrest. All the charges are felonies.

Peters declined to release any further information about the case, saying police needed to protect the investigation.

Sarah Palin, the Republican vice presidential nominee in the 2008 election, revealed during the campaign her 18-year-old daughter was pregnant and that Levi Johnston was the father.

The two have said they plan to marry and Bristol Palin is due to give birth this weekend
    Last edited by BARYE; 12/20/2008 at 04:08 PM.
    And? So what does this have to do with "families of Presidential aspirants?"
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
  5.    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by DL.Cummings View Post
    And? So what does this have to do with "families of Presidential aspirants?"
    Palin is a Presidential aspirant.

Her daughter's presumed "husband's" mother would be Palin's mother in law if they get married.

A mother in law is a member of the family of a Presidential aspirant.

The original premise of this thread was that the famililies of Presidential aspirants provides us a window into the hidden core truth of that candidate. As such, Palin's daughter, who she intends to marry, and her community is relevant to understanding Palin.

Palin has had the arogance to imply that her "Wasilla " values are better than those who come from the "Lower 48", from big cities.

Hypocrisy is not a value I cherish.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    Palin is a Presidential aspirant.
    Okay, I'm with you so far . . .

Her daughter's presumed "husband's" mother would be Palin's mother in law if they get married.
    Whoa! Nice try. While technically, the husband-to-be's mother would be Palin's mother-in-law, when people refer to "Palin" they are almost exclusively referring to Governer Sarah Palin and not Bristol Palin. Such a distinction ought to be kept clear.

A mother in law is a member of the family of a Presidential aspirant.
    True, but for the purposes of this thread you are stretching it.

The original premise of this thread was that the famililies of Presidential aspirants provides us a window into the hidden core truth of that candidate. As such, Palin's daughter, who she intends to marry, and her community is relevant to understanding Palin.
    Fair enough, we'll go with that.

Palin has had the arogance to imply that her "Wasilla " values are better than those who come from the "Lower 48", from big cities.

Hypocrisy is not a value I cherish.
    Ummm, okay . . . so Governer Palin's daughter is about to marry a fellow whose mother was busted for drugs and this tells you what about Palin? I mean, since you deemed this story worthy to post in this thread and you did specifically stress the merits of the mother-in-law of the daughter, I would like to know exactly what about Palin that you learned simply from the boyfriend's mother.

Secondly, since you mentioned it. Where exactly do the "Wasilla" values of Governer Palin come into play here? She didn't get busted with drugs; neither did her daughter, and not even the daughter's boyfriend. It was the mother of the daughter's boyfriend and that reflects on Sarah Palin's values exactly how? That makes her a hypocrite how?

You've got some explanin' to do.

7.    #87  
    Okay, I'm with you so far . . .

Whoa! Nice try. While technically, the husband-to-be's mother would be Palin's mother-in-law, when people refer to "Palin" they are almost exclusively referring to Governer Sarah Palin and not Bristol Palin. Such a distinction ought to be kept clear.

True, but for the purposes of this thread you are stretching it.

Fair enough, we'll go with that.

Ummm, okay . . . so Governer Palin's daughter is about to marry a fellow whose mother was busted for drugs and this tells you what about Palin? I mean, since you deemed this story worthy to post in this thread and you did specifically stress the merits of the mother-in-law of the daughter, I would like to know exactly what about Palin that you learned simply from the boyfriend's mother.

Secondly, since you mentioned it. Where exactly do the "Wasilla" values of Governer Palin come into play here? She didn't get busted with drugs; neither did her daughter, and not even the daughter's boyfriend. It was the mother of the daughter's boyfriend and that reflects on Sarah Palin's values exactly how? That makes her a hypocrite how?

had she argued that it was her knowledge, her experience, her innovative policies and solutions that qualified her to be President, than yes -- it would be perhaps too harsh to use her family and her home town as a prism through which to understand her.

Unfortunately that is not what she's done.

She pronounced herself deserving to be President largely because she was the exemplar, the product of "good old fashioned" america. That she was the lipstick wearing pitbull from distant Wasilla come to save us. Wasilla, a perhaps mythical place where could be found pure hearted moralistic hockey moms.

As such its particularly relevant to know if this place and family that she has predicated her candidacy upon is anything more than a myth, a mirage -- if her sanctimony is actually founded on hypocrisy -- if this woman who presumes to raise herself to judge others is in her own life living up to her own standards, if even her own town represents these values.

My grievance is that she's someone who conspicuously used Obama's "association" with Chicago, w/Bill Ayers as a lens through which her supporters could learn about and understand Obama.

"Judge not lest ye be judged" -- "let he without sin cast the first stone"...

When you presume to judge others you invite reciprocity.

Her family, her daughter, her associations -- all this help us to better understand Sarah Palin.
    Last edited by BARYE; 12/20/2008 at 12:07 AM.

I agree that the behavior of her daughter's future mother-in-law isn't a true reflection on Sarah Palin's actions or attitudes. However, SP spent a great deal of time speaking out about "real Americans", and how the values of "real America" are reflections of the values of Wasilla. So the drug use, teen pregnancy, high incidence of rape, all undermine her message that her town somehow more closely reflects real American values than other parts of the country.

Also, the campaign spent a great deal of time beating Obama about the head and shoulders about "associations", and talked about how the people he associated with have an impact on his moral compass (i.e. "palling around with terrorists"). It seems that her "palling around with drug dealers" would be just as fair -- or unfair -- a target.

After all, Obama didn't make anti-American statements (a la Jeremiah Wright) or engage in terrorist acts (as did Ayers), yet republicans made every effort to link them in a way that you're (rightly) indicating have no real reflection on Sarah Palin.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  9.    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I agree that the behavior of her daughter's future mother-in-law isn't a true reflection on Sarah Palin's actions or attitudes. However, SP spent a great deal of time speaking out about "real Americans", and how the values of "real America" are reflections of the values of Wasilla. So the drug use, teen pregnancy, high incidence of rape, all undermine her message that her town somehow more closely reflects real American values than other parts of the country.

Also, the campaign spent a great deal of time beating Obama about the head and shoulders about "associations", and talked about how the people he associated with have an impact on his moral compass (i.e. "palling around with terrorists"). It seems that her "palling around with drug dealers" would be just as fair -- or unfair -- a target.

After all, Obama didn't make anti-American statements (a la Jeremiah Wright) or engage in terrorist acts (as did Ayers), yet republicans made every effort to link them in a way that you're (rightly) indicating have no real reflection on Sarah Palin.
    well said Bujin -- and according to our postings, we had much the same thoughts almost simultaneously...
    well said Bujin -- and according to our postings, we had much the same thoughts almost simultaneously...
    I saw that.... you ninja-posted me.

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  11.    #91  

. . . so Governer Palin's daughter is about to marry a fellow whose mother was busted for drugs and this tells you what about Palin? I mean, since you deemed this story worthy to post in this thread and you did specifically stress the merits of the mother-in-law of the daughter, I would like to know exactly what about Palin that you learned simply from the boyfriend's mother.

couple of more tidbits DL --

1) the blessed product of that unwed teenage coupling is due sometime today -- making the mother in law's arrest all the more newsworthy.

2) As you may already know, Wasilla is Alaska's "Meth" capitol (Alaska's state police named it so).

For Palin's inlaw to be apprehended for drug dealing and manufacture (and presumably running a meth lab) in Wasilla, in the town she was mayor of, and which she so ostentatiously glorifies as the fountainhead of american purity -- is one of those windows that reveal hidden truths that we only get from the friends and familiy of sanctimonious people like Palin.

The question needs to be asked -- when did she learn or suspect that her daughter's husband's mother was a drug dealer ??

If the mother in law were a Meth addict/dealer in a small town like Wasilla, I'd suspect that Palin would have had a hard time NOT knowing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    had she argued that it was her knowledge, her experience, her innovative policies and solutions that qualified her to be President, than yes -- it would be perhaps too harsh to use her family and her home town as a prism through which to understand her.

Unfortunately that is not what she's done.
    So then, as you see it, since she didn't (argue on the merits of experience, policies, etc) you shouldn’t either? That logic was supposed to be removed in your childhood by a parent or guardian telling you the good old, “if everyone jumped off a bridge” query.

My grievance is that she's someone who conspicuously used Obama's "association" with Chicago, w/Bill Ayers as a lens through which her supporters could learn about and understand Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin
    You’re both right, Governer Palin, Republicans and Conservatives all railed on Obama’s direct association with various people, not Obama’s indirect association. That’s why the comparison here isn’t working. Sarah Palin—unless one can associate her directly with the felonious mother—isn’t being associated on the basis of a direct relationship; rather, it is one of quite an indirect nature.

Obama~~>Ayers =/= Palin~~>Bristol~~>Levi~~>Sherry

See the difference? You can replace, "Ayers" with "Wright" and get the same equation.

Her family, her daughter, her associations -- all this help us to better understand Sarah Palin.
    Again: I would like to know exactly what about Palin that you learned simply from the boyfriend's mother.

If the mother in law were a Meth addict/dealer in a small town like Wasilla, I'd suspect that Palin would have had a hard time NOT knowing it.
    Of course, it goes without saying that if you live in Wasilla then you must indeed know all the Meth addicts/dealers. Seriously, what planet are you living on?

Secondly, Sherry Johnston was busted as a result of an, “undercover narcotics investigation.” Meth is a stimulant, not a narcotic. I believe the drug you are looking for is Oxycontin—which for the record is a narcotic.

This is all a bit weird. On the one hand, it's nice to see a little life in here from some posters that haven't posted since the election much. OTOH, Obama isn't even in office yet, so who cares about what's-his-face's mom? Is this some sort of Blago-misdirection angle to put the stink back on the other side? Certainly comes off that way.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Of course, it goes without saying that if you live in Wasilla then you must indeed know all the Meth addicts/dealers. Seriously, what planet are you living on?

Secondly, Sherry Johnston was busted as a result of an, “undercover narcotics investigation.” Meth is a stimulant, not a narcotic. I believe the drug you are looking for is Oxycontin—which for the record is a narcotic.

Why in the name of all that is logical would you defend this Hick?

Yes, in small towns people know your business.

While your categorization of those drugs is accurate, police use the term "narcotics" for illegal drugs in general. So the use of that term does not give any insight one way or the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Why in the name of all that is logical would you defend this Hick?
    Not defending anyone really. Just pointing out that Levi's mom doesn't tell us anything about Governer Palin.

While your categorization of those drugs is accurate, police use the term "narcotics" for illegal drugs in general. So the use of that term does not give any insight one way or the other.
    My point exactly. There exists a few reports that specifically mention felonies regarding Oxycontin and that's it. Maybe she was dealing and maybe not, but what we do know is that there is so little information out right now it's pointless to even mention it as most of the talk will amount to conjecture.

You’re both right, Governer Palin, Republicans and Conservatives all railed on Obama’s direct association with various people, not Obama’s indirect association. That’s why the comparison here isn’t working. Sarah Palin—unless one can associate her directly with the felonious mother—isn’t being associated on the basis of a direct relationship; rather, it is one of quite an indirect nature.

Obama~~>Ayers =/= Palin~~>Bristol~~>Levi~~>Sherry

See the difference? You can replace, "Ayers" with "Wright" and get the same equation.
    OK, I'll wait until the wedding rehearsal. Then Palin will be (assuming mom-in-law is out of jail) in the home of a drug dealer, and the connection from Palin > drug dealer will be as direct, and about as relevant.

In a town that sized, and given that the kids were dating, do you really think there has been absolutely no relationship, and/or that they were never at a single function together? No parties / PTA meetings?

Do I think that Levi's mother says anything about Palin? Not really. But there would need to be some logical gymnastics to argue that you can judge Palin's relationship any differently than Obamas. After all, wasn't the big question that Obama wasn't forthcoming about the depth of the relationship, and that he didn't strongly enough repudiate the actions of Wright / Ayers? I haven't heard Palin give any info about whether the moms had a personal relationship, and she hasn't repudiated Mrs. Johnson's actions. Goose, meet gander.

17.    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    OK, I'll wait until the wedding rehearsal. Then Palin will be (assuming mom-in-law is out of jail) in the home of a drug dealer, and the connection from Palin > drug dealer will be as direct, and about as relevant.

In a town that sized, and given that the kids were dating, do you really think there has been absolutely no relationship, and/or that they were never at a single function together? No parties / PTA meetings?

...to argue that you can judge Palin's relationship any differently than Obamas. After all, wasn't the big question that Obama wasn't forthcoming about the depth of the relationship, and that he didn't strongly enough repudiate the actions of Wright / Ayers? I haven't heard Palin give any info about whether the moms had a personal relationship, and she hasn't repudiated Mrs. Johnson's actions. Goose, meet gander.
    Goose, meet gander -- BARYE is starting to like this Bujin guy !!
  18.    #98  
    So then, as you see it, since she didn't (argue on the merits of experience, policies, etc) you shouldn’t either? That logic was supposed to be removed in your childhood by a parent or guardian telling you the good old, “if everyone jumped off a bridge” query...

Of course, it goes without saying that if you live in Wasilla then you must indeed know all the Meth addicts/dealers. Seriously, what planet are you living on?...
    DL - had Obama's teenage daughter (been 17) and become pregnant by the son of a Chicago drug dealer, how do you suppose Palin would have handled that little tidbit ??
    Last edited by BARYE; 12/20/2008 at 07:26 PM.
    DL - had Obama's teenage daughter (been 17) and become pregnant by the son of a Chicago drug dealer, how do you suppose Palin would have handled that little tidbit ??
    If Palin were a Democrat, would you care? Gander, meet goose.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    If Palin were a Democrat, would you care? Gander, meet goose.
    I won't speak for anyone else, but you've just made my point. Democrats care because she's a Republican. Republicans don't see any connection at all. When the situation is reversed, everyone's opinion magically changes. Which is why I've argued that I don't care about either Palin's or Obama's manufactured controversies.

So if you're saying that you don't care about the relationship between Palin and a future family member, can we at least admit to the hypocrisy that both parties promote?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast