Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Well when you're the intended VP for a 72 yr old cancerous old lech, I guess your family life is relevant to this thread --

Seems Palin's 17 yr old daughter is Prego -- possibly again ???

My info is very sparse on this -- but there are apparently rumors that the baby that Polin "had" 4 months ago was a daughter's -- a rumor based in part on the fact that just about no one knew that Palin was pregnant until the baby showed up.

Palin’s 17-Year-Old Daughter Is Pregnant
    By Katharine Q. Seelye nyt
    September 1, 2008
    ST. PAUL — The 17-year-old daughter of Gov. Sarah Palin, John McCain’s running mate, is five months pregnant, Senator McCain’s campaign advisers announced today.

The daughter, Bristol, plans to marry the father, the campaign said.

In a statement first posted by Reuters, Mrs. Palin said: “Our beautiful daughter Bristol came to us with news that as parents we knew would make her grow up faster than we had ever planned. As Bristol faces the responsibilities of adulthood, she knows that she has our unconditional love and support.”

The announcement was intended to counter rumors by liberal bloggers that Mrs. Palin had claimed to have given birth to her fifth child in April when, according to the rumors, the child was her daughter’s.

Groups that oppose abortion rights had been thrilled with Mr. McCain’s selection of Mrs. Palin, the governor of Alaska, as his running mate, partly because of her opposition to abortion. It is not clear how social conservatives will respond to the latest news.

The campaign intends to cast this as the kind of situation that ordinary American families face.

The McCain campaign says it was aware of her daughter’s pregnancy before it named her as the running mate on Friday.

The family’s statement said: “Bristol and the young man she will marry are going to realize very quickly the difficulties of raising a child, which is why they will have the love and support of our entire family. We ask the media, respect our daughter and Levi’s privacy as has always been the tradition of children of candidates
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/01/2008 at 12:10 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    This gets more interesting all the time. Lies abound and maybe a party is guilty of the lie. However, I am sure that someone some place is going to say that 1 lie is not as bad as another lie.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    This gets more interesting all the time. Lies abound and maybe a party is guilty of the lie. However, I am sure that someone some place is going to say that 1 lie is not as bad as another lie.
    But WMDs was such a good lie, wasn't it - couple of hundred thousand dead on that one eh?

Anyway, lets hope Bristol doesn't have a "miscarriage" in a few weeks.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post

September 1, 2008
    ST. PAUL — The 17-year-old daughter of Gov. Sarah Palin, John McCain’s running mate, is five months pregnant, Senator McCain’s campaign advisers announced today.

In a statement first posted by Reuters, Mrs. Palin said: “Our beautiful daughter Bristol came to us with news that as parents we knew would make her grow up faster than we had ever planned. As Bristol faces the responsibilities of adulthood, she knows that she has our unconditional love and support.”

--snip--
    The announcement was intended to counter rumors by liberal bloggers that Mrs. Palin had claimed to have given birth to her fifth child in April when, according to the rumors, the child was her daughter’s.

This republican ticket is getting way too juicy. I demand a copy of the birth certificate to verify the birth mother & a DNA test to prove that BARYE is indeed the baby's daddy.

Enough of this Jerry Springer talk. Back to the OP: What does all of this say about the Palin family (and McCain candidacy by proxy)? Yeehaw! It's not baffling to this fist dude.
    Last edited by pdxtreo; 09/01/2008 at 08:23 PM. Reason: BBQing & posting
    The first shot-gun weddin' in the White House

**** Cheney will give away the bride (resplendent in a beautiful blaze orange camo wedding dress) while proud momma Palin looks on totin' her best 12-gauge.
    Last edited by redshifted; 09/01/2008 at 10:25 PM. Reason: because we can
    Handspring Treo 600 R.I.P. ...
    Insurance replacement Sprint Treo 755P ...
    16GB iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    Well when you're the intended VP for a 72 yr old cancerous old lech, I guess your family life is relevant to this thread --

Seems Palin's 17 yr old daughter is Prego -- possibly again ???

My info is very sparse on this -- but there are apparently rumors that the baby that Polin "had" 4 months ago was a daughter's -- a rumor based in part on the fact that just about no one knew that Palin was pregnant until the baby showed up.

September 1, 2008

Groups that oppose abortion rights had been thrilled with Mr. McCain’s selection of Mrs. Palin, the governor of Alaska, as his running mate, partly because of her opposition to abortion. It is not clear how social conservatives will respond to the latest news.

The campaign intends to cast this as the kind of situation that ordinary American families face.

The McCain campaign says it was aware of her daughter’s pregnancy before it named her as the running mate on Friday.

The family’s statement said: “Bristol and the young man she will marry are going to realize very quickly the difficulties of raising a child, which is why they will have the love and support of our entire family. We ask the media, respect our daughter and Levi’s privacy as has always been the tradition of children of candidates
    Honestly all the speculation and rumor mongering is soooo slimey.

Debating whether or not Palin is indeed qualified for the VP is quite justifiable. But all of you people hear sniveling and whispering with glee over what this 17 year old girl...may I remind you 17 YEARS OLD...is going through is disgusting. Obviously Republicans have a problem with the image of hipocracy in regards with all the moral bloviating they do. But this type of crap from the left in no better than the swift boating they bemoaned from the right wing. It is in fact the same type of thing and the reason why most people hate politics and most politicians.

It's quite easy to critisize some one under the veil of anonymity on the internet, but what some people say on both the right and left with no other singular purpose other than to destroy and hurt is emblamatic with everything that is wrong about politics in this country today. Screw the DEMs and the GOP...you both suck....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I'd be more worried about the names Biden and Obama appearing together and what that does subliminally. Esp Obama and then Biden underneath on those placards.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    Screw the DEMs and the GOP...you both suck....
    Ok, then you are going for who then? Bob Barr (who won't go farr) or Ralph Nader (who will fly under the radar)?
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by redshifted View Post

**** Cheney will give away the bride (resplendent in a beautiful blaze orange camo wedding dress) while proud momma Palin looks on totin' her best 12-gauge.
    I am getting a kick out of the reports that Evangelicals are stating that Palin's daughter is proof they should support her due to her daughter "keeping" the baby and not flushing.

Biggest deal for me is that McCain knew her daughter was pregnant and that palin was under investigation, but he still picked her.

I would love to have been in the final meeting when mccain decided on his VP. To see the looks around the room.

Even ben has been stunned by McCain's pick...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redshifted View Post

Could be! Doesn't he sound charming?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    THE KILLER QUOTE:

On his MySpace page, since removed from the Internet, Johnston describes himself as a "f****n' redneck" and reveals: "I live to play hockey. ...before warning that if anyone annoys him, he will “kick ***".

Poignantly, in the one part of the site where it asks about children, he wrote, "I don't want kids."

I LOVE this guy (can we be friends??)
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/02/2008 at 04:45 PM.
    I think family members give a glimpse of a candidate's personal character. Unfortunately, I don't think that glimpse helps much in estimating how the candidate will execute his/her duties.
    Weighing in on Palin's daughter, I think that what bothers me about it is that it was obviously hidden, the fake indignation when it was discovered, and the lavish praise upon a 17 year old getting married.

Here's my thinking: Everyone makes mistakes, and at 17 (and in a family that believes in abstinence only) it's easy to have a poor judgement call. She's part of a family of 5 kids, and her parents want her to keep the baby and are capable of supporting her doing that. Forcing her into a wedding at 17(!) is insane to me. Would you want to marry the person you dated at 17?

I also get the impression they are deeply embarassed by their daughter's pregnancy and did not want to reveal it. Why not just drop a line about it, or quietly comment on it over the weekend? When you're answering a rumor that your 5th child is actually your grandchild with an answer of "No, no, but the 17 year old is 5 months pregnant and engaged!" you fuel the salaciousness of the rumors and make it into a BIG DEAL instead of a part of your family history.

Now, I am not a fan of McCain or Palin for many reasons, and this does not affect my opinion either way, but it does make me feel terribly bad for that poor kid. Hope she likes the guy she's marrying and they try their best to make it work, and that if they part it's amicable...it just makes me sad to see someone be tied down over one indiscretion. Having and keeping the baby is her choice and I respect that, but I just fear for her ability to grow as an individual if she's forced to be a wife and mother at such a young age.
    Quote Originally Posted by questionfear View Post
    Weighing in on Palin's daughter, I think that what bothers me about it is that it was obviously hidden, the fake indignation when it was discovered, and the lavish praise upon a 17 year old getting married.

Here's my thinking: Everyone makes mistakes, and at 17 (and in a family that believes in abstinence only) it's easy to have a poor judgement call. She's part of a family of 5 kids, and her parents want her to keep the baby and are capable of supporting her doing that. Forcing her into a wedding at 17(!) is insane to me. Would you want to marry the person you dated at 17?
    Well, I did marry the girl I was dating at 17 (been married 19 years and going strong, thank you very much). It's easy to say that she's being forced to marry him, but it may be as simple as the fact that the couple truly want to do the "right thing", according to their set of values. Since we don't know the internal family dynamics, I hope that this story withers away quickly.

THE KILLER QUOTE:

On his MySpace page, since removed from the Internet, Johnston describes himself as a "f****n' redneck" and reveals: "I live to play hockey. ...before warning that of anyone annoys him, he will “kick ***".

Poignantly, in the one part of the site where it asks about children, he wrote, "I don't want kids."
    I'm not defending these quotes, but I will say that I'm glad there was no Facebook when I was 17 and stupid.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by questionfear View Post
    ...I also get the impression they are deeply embarassed by their daughter's pregnancy and did not want to reveal it. Why not just drop a line about it, or quietly comment on it over the weekend? When you're answering a rumor that your 5th child is actually your grandchild with an answer of "No, no, but the 17 year old is 5 months pregnant and engaged!" you fuel the salaciousness of the rumors and make it into a BIG DEAL instead of a part of your family history. ....
    A comprehensive statement was warranted in light of the rumors that were swirling.
    Here we agree. I was not happy, though really not surprised considering what our children go through. We talk family values (all of us do) and no one likes the consequences. Support though is ultimately what the family is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Well, I did marry the girl I was dating at 17 (been married 19 years and going strong, thank you very much). It's easy to say that she's being forced to marry him, but it may be as simple as the fact that the couple truly want to do the "right thing", according to their set of values. Since we don't know the internal family dynamics, I hope that this story withers away quickly.

I'm not defending these quotes, but I will say that I'm glad there was no Facebook when I was 17 and stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    They can send him to counseling....

That is what everyone else does, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    To be fair, I am the child of high school sweethearts who got married at 19. They didn't have me until they were 26 though (I am the firstborn.)

She very well might be thrilled to marry him, and I don't know that for sure. I just think that declaring you are engaged when you are still in high school is an awful lot to take on at that age. If I'm wrong and she wants to, good luck to her.

Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    A comprehensive statement was warranted in light of the rumors that were swirling.
    True, but my point was that had they simply stated it before the rumors started it would have been a non-issue. In other words, all it would have taken was mentioning it when she was announced or on Saturday, not waiting until rumors started swirling. If the girl were a month or two pregnant then it wouldn't be surprising they kept it quiet, but 5 months is far enough along that had these rumors not surfaced people would have noticed come October, since she would have been showing pretty clearly then. So why not just admit it up front and turn it into a "We have normal family issues too" type of thing BEFORE the press inevitably gets ahold of it. If the press chases down actresses when they're looking slightly bloated in case they might be pregnant, did the McCain campaign expect the press, regardless of political bias, to just stay quiet? (I am most certainly not condoning the way the press violates people's privacy, just pointing out it is a fact of a culture that thrives on scandal.)
  19.    #39  
    hypocrisy in any form is fair game...

Palin Slashed Funding for Teen Moms
    By Paul Kane The Washington Post
    ST. PAUL -- Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the Republican vice-presidential nominee who revealed Monday that her 17-year-old daughter is pregnant, earlier this year used her line-item veto to slash funding for a state program benefiting teen mothers in need of a place to live.

After the legislature passed a spending bill in April, Palin went through the measure reducing and eliminating funds for programs she opposed. Inking her initials on the legislation ...

According to Passage House's web site, its purpose is to provide "young mothers a place to live with their babies for up to eighteen months while they gain the necessary skills and resources to change their lives" and help teen moms "become productive, successful, independent adults who create and provide a stable environment for themselves and their families." ...

today the Associated Press reported that Sen. John McCain (Ariz.), the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, opposed funding to prevent teen pregnancies, a position that Palin also took as governor. "The explicit sex-ed programs will not find my support," she wrote in a 2006 ...

Reporters asked McCain in November 2007 whether he supported grants for sex education in the United States, whether such programs should include directions for using contraceptives and whether he supports President Bush's policy of promoting abstinence.

"Ahhh, I think I support the president's policy," McCain said.

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin wrote in her line-item veto changes by hand in this copy of a 2008 spending bill obtained by The Washington Post.
    And the bad thing is, few of us have perfect families. Few of us have children that are perfect. Few of us are perfect. We damn these people, though they are normal in every aspect. The left damns them when they do not damn themselves for the same actions. We need to look at Obama and his past - was it so different? His parents? His raising?

We damn the mother for working; however, isn't that what the Democrat party is all about - women doing everything? And this woman working a job, with children and a husband and you damn her for it. Hypocrites the left and the rest of us.

Statements made earlier by our liberal side such as "holding child...breast pump...Putin" - wow - to hear that from a liberal - the party that supports people doing ... to think that a liberal would say that - sort of damns a person for doing their best. Hypocrites.

How many of us are married? How many of us have children? How many of us have families where husband and wife both work? How many of us have daughters? How many of us have sons? How many of us have children that make mistakes, though we try hard to guide them? How many of us have made mistakes? Hypocrites we are.

Embarrassing it is and I was when I realized my reaction. Bringing the family, especially the children in to this type of discussion is down right disgusting. Hypocrites we are.

daThomas, are you married? (not my business, of course). Have you children? If so, are they perfect? I have 3 sons, none perfect. I have a wife that worked with young children. I have a wife that became successful. I have a wife with lung cancer. None of us is perfect. Hypocrites we are.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast