1.    #1  
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  2.    #2  
    They're offering a $299 edge.
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...7/4.7.0.3.30.1
    Click "continue" and it's there.

I thought that was only going to be bundled with the powerbook. Did they just start including them with a PowerMac, or did I miss something?
    Last edited by dick-richardson; 07/19/2001 at 11:25 AM.
    -Joshua
    Yeah, it's a nice system. But I would have preferred that Apple drop the price to $1499 or $1599.

Just my opinion.
    I don't like the change from clear/graphite to clear/snow, because the "snow" color makes it look more like beige, which I prefer to stay away from.
    Considering the new "low-end" G4 is similar to the most recent "high-end" G4 (less memory, smaller HD, some other variations) but is about $2000 less, I'm not complaining about the product or its cost, just the color. I want vibrant, dammit!
    I've only had my current G4 for a bit over a year but based on the leaps that have happened in that short time, I'm thinking I'm going to replace it next year at this time (instead of 2005).
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    instead of 2005
    were you expecting it to remain viable for 5 years?
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by homer
    I'm expecting my iMac to do so. The only thing I want is more VRAM. There has to be a way to get into this thing.
    -Joshua
  7.    #7  
    I just noticed the iMac's got upgraded a shade as well.
    -Joshua
    Originally posted by homer
    As oxymoronic as it sounds, I buy things to last, even computers. Just because something becomes obsolete doesn't mean it isn't still useful. I have a solar-cell calculator of a type that hasn't been made in 15 years, yet I still use it; I have a pair of scissors that remains sharp even though they're at least 40 years old.
    I can upgrade to OS X when I'm ready, add memory, change hard drive size, replace the motherboard if it comes to it, and continue to use this computer for many years to come, but if I *must* replace it before five years have passed I'm going to feel like I've wasted my money.

(later)
    followup on my previous post: it's not a "Snow" G4. Apple is calling it "Quicksilver" (something I'd heard but didn't register in my brain).
    http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n58839
    Last edited by Yorick; 07/19/2001 at 01:27 PM.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Just because something becomes obsolete doesn't mean it isn't still useful.
    Oh. Of course. I agree. That said, I see a lot of people trying to get by on 5 year old computers, when the cost of a new, faster computer would be completely covered (and then some) by the fact that their newer machine is simply more efficient. I think you can push a computer for maybe 3 years, and then, inevitably, you need to upgrade. The old machine can still be used, but probably isn't that efficient as your main workstation.

My Powemac 7200 has been sitting idle for a year or so now. I'll probably throw linux on it sooner or later. But, it certainly is not a viable computer as my workstation. I'd loose too much time just trying to keep it running.

Anyways, to stay on topic...I like the new G4 enclosures, AND the fact that they are finally taking large speed jumps in the low-end systems.

I was hoping for a radically new iMac, though.
    -David Byrne
    Oh, foo, if you're looking for a deal, Macintouch reported:

"What is not so obvious though is that in the ed channel they're blowing out the 533 MHz models for only $1,099. That's a sweet deal. It has a one meg of L2 backside cache, 128 megs of RAM and a 40 gig hard drive."
    -David Byrne
    I really wanted Apple to release 10.1 now instead of making us wait until September. All of the improvements are things that I really want now.

I do like the looks of the new PowerMacs. Maybe one day I can have the money to drop on one of those and a Cinema Display.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Thanks for the tip Homer. But if I do go Mac, it will be the new G4 733. It has all the specs I have ever wanted in the entry level model (except that it doesn't have DVD). Keep in mind the last model had a 466mhz processor, so this is a big improvement.

We'll see.
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    ... if I do go Mac, it will be the new G4 733. It has all the specs I have ever wanted in the entry level model (except that it doesn't have DVD).
    FYI, you can make the drive a combo DVD/CD-RW for an extra $150 on that 733 model.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836