Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    I chickened out for now and am probably going to try 32 bit instead. But I do want to try 64 bit eventually.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  2.    #22  
    Day one of Vista test. A little overwhelming coming from using XP!! LOL!

Haven't tried to install anything yet though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3.    #23  
    I have to say that Vista seems to be a warmed over version of XP. I'm not too impressed over XP, except for the nice graphics and animation. Should I try the Ultimate version? I have Home Premium now.

BTW, Dreamweaver is listed for 32 bit only so that's one program that won't work on 64. Zone Alarm Security Suite seems to barely work on Vista at all from what I've read so I'm looking into Eset, which works on both Vista 32 and 64.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I have to say that Vista seems to be a warmed over version of XP. I'm not too impressed over XP, except for the nice graphics and animation. Should I try the Ultimate version? I have Home Premium now.

Lots behind the scenes in vista... stuff you can't see. The way vista handles large and small files for search is light years ahead of xp. Of course, that is important to me and maybe not to you... so my point really means nothing, come to think about it. lol Well, outside of just saying, maybe, "give it a chance." lol

BTW, Dreamweaver is listed for 32 bit only so that's one program that won't work on 64. Zone Alarm Security Suite seems to barely work on Vista at all from what I've read so I'm looking into Eset, which works on both Vista 32 and 64.
    Zone Alarm was messed up for over a year, even on xp. I remember the last version they came out with basically crapped my xp build... I had to do a restore.

Kerpeski (sp?) is the best. I use onecare since it is much better than before and offers better system integration, IMO. Plus, I'm fairly safe and use virtual pc for sites I don't know...

Anyway, it is all good....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Kerpeski (sp?) is the best.
    Kaspersky.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    The deal breaker for x64 Vista for me is that there is no Cisco VPN client for it. Cisco said they have no plans of making one. They release Cisco Anywhere client but that requires upgrading the backend as well. The only workaround I found was running a 32bit XP client in VMWare and sharing the VPN connection to the host. It was clunky at best.
  7.    #27  
    Cisco? How come such large companies don't acknowledge 64 bit? Adobe does the same, no 64 bit support it seems. They claim they're working on it, but isn't Vista over a year old?? What do they think, Windows 7 will be out sooner than expected??

So Kaspersky Internet Security is the best? I know the anti-virus rocks but how's their firewall? I've heard the firewall is not as strong as ZA's. One Care is MSFT's own, right? You're sure it's secure? BTW, I got a 60 day free trial for Norton's IS(yeah I know, don't tell me), but so far it hasn't seemed too horrible.

BTW, Dreamweaver is listed for 32 bit only so that's one program that won't work on 64.
    I use Dreamweaver just fine on my 64 bit install. It isn't a native 64 bit app but it runs just the same.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  9.    #29  
    I don't get it, LOL!

From their page: System requirements

Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 2 or Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise (certified for 32-bit editions)

So I wonder if Photoshop will work too. They mention they PLAN to support 64 bit.

This isn't going to be easy if I need to do trial and error, LOL! I go by what the manufacturer says, so if they don't get it right...

Thanks for the info, BTW. Good to know!

Some things to remember... Manufacturer can support or not support an OS. That doesn't mean it won't run. It just means you can't call them for support if it doesn't work. Even if it won't run with the default install, you can try running it in compatibility mode. E.g., AIA Documents software doesn't support XP Pro 64-bit. The software gives you an error that your OS isn't supported when you install it. You right-click on the setup program, and tell it to run it in compatibility mode for Windows XP, and it installs and runs fine.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  11.    #31  
    Thanks for the info. You can tell i'm clueless, LOL!

So I wonder if Photoshop will work too. They mention they PLAN to support 64 bit.
    It does, yes, as does the rest of CS3. The only thing not working is the printer driver for Acrobat as far as I can tell.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  13.    #33  
    Thank you again!

BTW, Theog what about this review of One Care? Doesn't sound too good IMO. I think I'll be trying Eset first anyway, but I would consider One Care if it is really any good.

http://reviews.cnet.com/security-and...8&tag=mncol;uo

I run Vista 64 at work and at home on my personal gaming machine. I work for a very large corporation and we are in the process of certifying Vista 64 to be our standard OS for EVERYONE. Not just engineering workstations, but for everyone including just basic low end thin business desktops. I have not found a piece of software yet, that wont run on Vista 64, but will run on 32 bit. I am sure there are, but the ones we had problems with were XP to Vista problems, not 32 bit to 64 bit problems.

At home I run Vista 64 on my personal gaming machine. Its an older machine (AMD socket 939 athlon 64 3800+, 7800GT video card, etc) but I have had absolutely no problems with Vista 64 at all. I run all the latest games and they run perfectly. I run lots and lots of apps, even old apps, and I havent had a problem yet.

Personally, I wouldnt invest in a 32bit system or OS any more.

Thats my experience, but YMMV.
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
  15.    #35  
    Now tell that to software and hardware vendors who don't seem to know that 64 bit is going to be a new standard. Unfortunately, I chose 32 bit for now, just to be safe. In 2009 maybe things will get rolling on 64 bit support. When you read their support sites, I'd say only the really large ones even acknowledge 64 bit. And even then Zone Alarm and Nero refuse to support Vista(even 32 bit) fully.

I wonder what's going to happen with Windows 7. Hopefully not the same slowness from the vendors.

I wonder what's going to happen with Windows 7. Hopefully not the same slowness from the vendors.
    From what I'm reading, windows 7 is basically going to be a continuation of vista... many additions and changes, but the "core" will remain the same. For example, all the drivers that work in vista "should" work in windows 7. Of course ALL won't so there will be some issues but the move should be much less of a headach than moving to vista.

Funny enough, think I'm moving my desktop back to xp pro and keeping vista on my laptop. I'm having issues here and there with software packages... and I thought my old work printer would work though a virtual machine, but it still does not work through vista (kernal mode issue... not many people will have this issue).

I'm also thinking outlook is slower and the browser is a bit slower. Strange... might be my imagination though, not sure.... but it looks like I'm going back either way....

I can still recommend vista... the software and hardware I'm having trouble with would impact very few people... very, very few....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  17.    #37  
    I still get the feeling Vista is half-cooked, just like XP was. After Service Pack 2, XP became EXCELLENT. I just got XP Service Pack 3 the other day, LOL! Now that XP is fully cooked, they need to concentrate on Vista. And WHY so slow to finish cooking XP? Just to tell people it's time to abandon it for Vista.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12