1.    #1  
    Seeing as I am a NASCAR fan, and a huge Tony Stewart fan, I thought I would see what everyone's opinion was of the Pepsi 400. Now, I know not everyone here is a NASCAR fan, but there must be some. I know MarkEagle must be, what with the #3 Avatar and all.

So, was the NASCAR penalty fair or not? And, do you believe Tony was justified in his actions after the race?

My opinion is this:

Tony was forced below the Yellow line. Yes, he broke the rules, I admit that. However, there was more involved than a simple rule violation. It is my belief that NASCAR was unfair in moving Tony to 26 position. However, in the future, I am sure that Tony will follow the rules. Had he simply not went down, and put Benson in the wall, he would have been in no trouble at all. Never mind the other 35 guys behind them, let them sort it out. NASCAR has made their bed, now they must lie in it.

Now, about the post race stuff. I really cannot say for sure. I have always been taught there are three sides to every story. His, His, and the truth. I am sure that what Tony did could have been avoided. I am also sure that reporters can be relentless and love to get the interview when someone is angry. That may have driven the reporter to push a little harder than he admits, causing Tony to slap his recorder. I probably would have done the same thing (though I am trying to control myself more). Further, why would any reporter even attempt to interview Tony when they know how worked up he gets? Even more, if they do approach him, why are they surprised with the way he acts?

As for the confrontation between Tony and Gary Nelson, I have a feeling this was blown way out of proportion. I honestly believe if Tony had to be restrained, NASCAR would have seriously penalized him. They would be foolish not to. This leads me to believe he was yelling and upset when Joe Gibbs interrupted and maybe reminded him he was on probation.

I really believe that had it been all that the media was making it, Tony would be in serious trouble.

I do believe Tony needs to work on self control, but I cannot say much. So do I. Toss in some adrenaline and just getting out of a car going 200MPH and there really is no telling how I might act.

Anyway, just wanted to discuss this with anyone interested.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    I think if someone's drinking 400 Pepsi's they shouldn't be driving. Stand a little closer to the restrooms.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    ya.. I totally lost oyu. Lets explain to the newbies what the yellow line rule is and a ocuple of other things to help clear my mind up
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by miradu2000
    ya.. I totally lost oyu. Lets explain to the newbies what the yellow line rule is and a ocuple of other things to help clear my mind up
    Well, if you do not know what the Yellow line rule is, then you probably have no opinion on the incident.

But, because I am bored.

At Daytona and Talledega Raceways Winston Cup Cars have Restrictor Plates on them. This limits the speed the car can achieve. In addition, they have a little "spoiler" across the roof of the car to hurt the aerodynamics. This is all done in an effort to slow the cars down to make the speeds safer. However, it keeps all the cars tightly bunched together. It was this type of race where Dale Earnhardt lost his life in February.

Since that incident, NASCAR has enforced the Yellow line rule at these two tracks. There is a yellow line painted around the bottom of the race tracks that indicates where the racing surface begins/ends. The rule is you cannot go below the line in an effor to gain a position on the car in front of you. This, too, is an effort to keep the race safer.

So, last Saturday night was the first time NASCAR has returned to Daytona since the death of Dale. With about 05 laps to go Tony Stewart attempted to pass Johnny Benson on the inside (the side near the yellow line) when Benson drove his car down. Tony could have maintained his spot and Benson would have spun probably causing a wreck. He could also have lifted his foot off the gas, also probably causing a major wreck. So, he went down farther on the race track and passed Benson. This put him below the yellow line.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    The yellow line incident wasn't totally his fault... but, everyone knew the rule was in place and what the consequences would be.

As for his post race antics, let's just say that while Tony is a heck of a driver, his interpersonal skills need lot's of work. He's a hot-head who needs to control his temper.

The fines were appropriate this time (I was actually expecting much more).
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    I like having "bad guys" in NASCAR. The Intimidator was considered one by many people in his younger years.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    NASCAR - bad call, Benson definitely drove him down below

Stewart - Great to watch, aggressive, can't blame him when someone gets right in your face with a tape recorder when you are fuming mad about a bad call(racing press always try to instigate).

Gary Nelson/NASCAR - needs to have someone get in their face every now and then, just don't touch them. When they make rules, apply them evenly, otherwise we've got a new WWF on our hands.
    Mike
    ok.. now I understand - I have no opinion on it. your right..

What is the thrill of driving at 150 MPH for 400 miles? watching it?
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by miradu2000
    ok.. now I understand - I have no opinion on it. your right..

I can only imagine the thrill of actually driving the car. As for watching it, it is just like any other sport and why people watch them. I really cannot explain why I enjoy so much, just that I do.
    I'll admit that I always thought the same thing. Nascar is a bunch of hicks driving fords.

Well, that's true but I've also become a bit of a fan. If you actually sit and watch a few races, you do start to appreciate it as a sport.

Yea, it's still a silly sport, but I think most sports are silly...they're just for fun, after all.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer
    Nascar is a bunch of hicks driving fords.
    'scuse me??? Some of us prefer Chevy's...
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    and now they are turning left.....

now they are turning left....

now they are making another left turn.....

wait, hold on.... now they are turning left....

i don't get it
    - John
    Rules are rules. If he drove below the line during a pass, he deserves the penalty. If it happened because another driver forced him low, he could have backed off. The rules don't say 'stay off the yellow line while passing if it is convenient'.

A similar thing happened in the European Grand prix a couple of weeks ago. The drivers had been told not to cross the blend line exiting the pits or they would be penalized. A lot of the cars had their tires on the blend line but didn't cross it. Ralf Schumacher got about half of his car over the line and got a 10 second stop and go penalty. This works out to about thirty seconds counting the time in and out of the pits. He was in second place when this happened.

Rules are rules
    I was interested in racing for a couple of years becuase it was a bunch of cars going really really fast and it was fun to watch 'em go slamming into the walls (as George Carlin has said, "where else am I going to see a fifty-car pileup and not be in the friggin thing?"). It stopped being fun when they started being fatal more often.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    GSR13

My opinion is that he got screwed. The reporters should have known better than to approach him at that time. Also, after he was black-flagged other cars crossed the yellow line without reprise. Great--let's administer this rule selectively. Someone's gotta get their act together.
    -Vincent
  16.    #16  
    You know, oddly enough, most people agree that Tony got the raw end of the deal from NASCAR (at least about the yellow line). The only thing people are really upset about is the post race incident between him and the reporter and him and Gary Nelson.

I know Tony is a hot head, but I just really feel like that whole deal was probably blown WAYYY out of proportion.