Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    My friend and I were arguing about the 'right' way to pronounce "OS X" yesterday. Is it 'oh-ess-ex' or is it 'oh-ess-ten'? While the former sounds geekier/techier (like the X in X-files) and maybe sportier/more stylish (like the SX/LX/EX/etc in many car models) the latter makes more sense as an actual software release version (i.e. v.1 ... v.10). So which is it?
    I myself say ohh-sss-xx!! but than I always get yelled at by my mac friends
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    When Steve jobs talks about it, he says 'oh-ess-ten'. I would assume that he knows the correct pronunciation.
    I thought it was "oh-sex"
    - John
  5. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by pee-dee-eh
    I thought it was "oh-sex"
    Or maybe more accurately, "0 sex"
    nice
    - John
    Originally posted by Rob

Or maybe more accurately, "0 sex"
    Ain't subliminal advertising great.
    Its suppose to be pronounced

Oh-ess 10 or Oh-ess ex

some nasty people around here
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    This is once where my pronunciation goes against the "correct" one. I call it OS ex.
    Ive always prounounced it Oh-ess-ex, but I could be wrong.

If it is true that Steve Jobs prounounces it Oh-es-ten then i'm sure heis probably right.
    God bless the USA! The country I love, and will support at all costs.
    It is OS 10.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by D ev R ay 4Real
    Ive always prounounced it Oh-ess-ex, but I could be wrong.

If it is true that Steve Jobs prounounces it Oh-es-ten then i'm sure heis probably right.
    I work at Apple as an engineer in the system software division. Believe me, it is Oh-es-ten.
    brad - what are the products that are going to be announced monday?
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I have no idea - really.

I have worked for a lot of high tech companies over the last decade or so, but I have never worked at a company that keeps secrets as well as this one. As far as hardware is concerned, the only people that know are the ones that are working on the projects. There is actually a lot of speculation internally, but it pretty much reflects what you can read about on any of the rumor sites.

Sorry...
    Either way is appropriate.

But OS Ten is the official way of pronouncing it.
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    Originally posted by bradhaak
    I have no idea - really.

I have worked for a lot of high tech companies over the last decade or so, but I have never worked at a company that keeps secrets as well as this one. As far as hardware is concerned, the only people that know are the ones that are working on the projects. There is actually a lot of speculation internally, but it pretty much reflects what you can read about on any of the rumor sites.

Sorry...
    It's okay. I will be at Mac World Expo on tuesday.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    The official wurd from Apple is "oh ess ten."
    But, everytime I hear it spoken, including myself, it's "oh ess ecks."
    Going to fun when the next major rev comes along. "oh ess exise."
    Labelling it "X" looks cool and hip but it's going to cause these kinds of confusions.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Oddly, I've never heard anyone call it 'OS ecks' yet.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Just for the sake of sanity, let's remember that OSX is Mac OS v10. It follows Mac OS 9.x. The current version of OSX is 10.0.4.

For years Apple has used the OS# label where the '#' is the major release number. For version 10, management decided to have some fun and used the roman numeral for 10. This isn't a new naming convention and it isn't that complex.

I think that it was done to get attention - looks like it worked.
    OS 10.

yeah, i wrote that ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast