View Poll Results: Do you use BroadBand or Dial-Up?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Broadband at both home and work.

37 60.66%
  • Broadband at home, Dial-up at work

2 3.28%
  • Dial-up at home, broadband at work

14 22.95%
  • Dial-Up at home and work

1 1.64%
  • Dial-up at home and nothing at work

4 6.56%
  • Broadband at home and nothing at work.

3 4.92%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Continuing with my recent computer polls, Do you use Broadband or Dial-up for the internet at home? I'm currently on Dial-up at home since there are no reliable Broadband services in my area.

**Oops, I forgot about us kids. So, if you don't work, I guess you could either don't vote and post, or vote for either dial-up/broadband at home and nothing at work. Sorry! I always forget something on polls.
    Waaaaaaaaaa (I'm VC's official whiner)! I can't do anything to convince my parents to get a cable modem. They are not impressed by:
    • High-speed
    • Always online
    • Relatively high cost

We don't even have cable! I know what I'm missing. I can't pay for it. What argument can I put forward to them?
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    Originally posted by ernieba1
    What argument can I put forward to them?
    I just got a cable modem. One of the programs I installed was called "WeatherBug" (available for windows at www.tucows.com )
    Weatherbug sits in your system tray and monitors the weather. You can expand it to see the current temperature, humidity, etc.

But last week I saw it flashing. When I clicked on it, it displayed a weather advisory. As it turned out, a couple of tornadoes were travelling across the city of Baltimore.

I kept monitoring it, and the tornadoes missed my house.

But if they had hit my house, WeatherBug would have been my only warning. I don't generally have the TV or radio on.
    Hey try this. If you're a kid without a job yet (or a job that's just food or something) put "school" in place of work for yourself. That would put me in broadband for both.
    -Vincent
    Do your parents have two phone lines?

If not getting dsl/cable will allow the one phone line to always be free/available.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    And, to add to Filipe's comment, DSL is usually the same price as two phone lines, so unless you need a dedicated FAX, DSL is the way to go.

Any friends in your neighborhood? You could set up a wireless ethernet station or bury an ethernet cable in your backyard and leach access. :-)
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    I have dial up because ATT is do damn lazy to bring it out here.
    God bless the USA! The country I love, and will support at all costs.
    Just got my Cable Modem on 07July2001. Man do I ever love it. It is so much faster than dial-up.

I get to work from home some and my company just released a VPN Client, so I can work from home using my Cable Modem. Now, once I get that set up, it will really be beneficial.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by GSR13
    Just got my Cable Modem on 07July2001. Man do I ever love it. It is so much faster than dial-up.

I get to work from home some and my company just released a VPN Client, so I can work from home using my Cable Modem. Now, once I get that set up, it will really be beneficial.
    Wait...I don't get how that is beneficial. Work.....once...you are at...home? That sounds like a good reason NOT to get broadband..
    I wish I had broadband. Our family only has 1 phoneline. I'm on the net about 6 hours a day. So people have a very very small shcnace of calling us. Cable internet JSUT got avaible, but we don't have cable TV, and my parents don't want it. So becuase they don't want the TV, it's just not econimcly viable to get it. I'm about 2000 feet to far for DSL oh well life goes on.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I have had Broadband (Cable, then Wireless, then DSL, now cable again). I can never go back to dialup (visor conenction excepted). I am hooked on speed!
    Originally posted by Thunderbird291

Wait...I don't get how that is beneficial. Work.....once...you are at...home? That sounds like a good reason NOT to get broadband..
    HAHA...

It is not Work.....once...you are at...home. It is work.....without...leaving home!!!! I may never come to the office again.

Actually, I support UNIX servers for my company and I do a fair share of working after hours. The faster I can do that, the better.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
  13.    #13  

HAHA...

It is not Work.....once...you are at...home. It is work.....without...leaving home!!!! I may never come to the office again.

Actually, I support UNIX servers for my company and I do a fair share of working after hours. The faster I can do that, the better.
    Ah, now I understand.

HAHA...

I also support systems, often after hours and weird times of the day & night, and now I rarely go into the office since I got broadband & VPN.. no need, I can do it all from home faster, more efficiently and without interruption.. but working from home is not for everyone..
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
    Originally posted by EricG

I also support systems, often after hours and weird times of the day & night, and now I rarely go into the office since I got broadband & VPN.. no need, I can do it all from home faster, more efficiently and without interruption.. but working from home is not for everyone..
    I am with you on that one. Not everyone can do it, at least not on a daily basis. You have got to be disciplined. Not to mention, you cannot be one of those people who constantly has to have human contact. Oh yeah, and your mananger has to trust you as well.
    At my "other job", every few months I'm on call. Last week my number came up again. We use a Citrix connection to connect to the office, and I was able to get the Java client working on Mac OS X (it's kinda weird seing a Win2K screen on my TiBook), so now I use a broadband connection when on call instead of the crappy laptop they give me that doesn't have an ethernet port.

Dialup and Exchange Admin do not mix.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836

I am with you on that one. Not everyone can do it, at least not on a daily basis. You have got to be disciplined. Not to mention, you cannot be one of those people who constantly has to have human contact. Oh yeah, and your mananger has to trust you as well.
    Yes, it can get very lonely & quiet, but I have found over the years that I work better with less distraction around me.. Also, as you pointed out, your manager has to trust you.. I have a few friends that say they wouldn't be able to resist the urge to play half-life all day if they were working from home.. I think this is what managers fear.. (and rightfully so).. with me it was a gradual evolution, I didn't just work from home all the time initially, over time it was a single day one week then a few more days later on, etc.. mostly as my project work load started to increase, I would get paged or called at home before I would leave for the office and end up working from home all day anyway. I found I could do a lot during the time I would normally be commuting as well as how much I could get done without "walk-in" traffic.. You also have to be involved in projects that do not require lots of team meetings , etc..
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams

Yes, it can get very lonely & quiet, but I have found over the years that I work better with less distraction around me.. Also, as you pointed out, your manager has to trust you.. I have a few friends that say they wouldn't be able to resist the urge to play half-life all day if they were working from home.. I think this is what managers fear.. (and rightfully so).. with me it was a gradual evolution, I didn't just work from home all the time initially, over time it was a single day one week then a few more days later on, etc.. mostly as my project work load started to increase, I would get paged or called at home before I would leave for the office and end up working from home all day anyway. I found I could do a lot during the time I would normally be commuting as well as how much I could get done without "walk-in" traffic.. You also have to be involved in projects that do not require lots of team meetings , etc..
    Sounds a lot like you work where I work. You don't happen to work for a Bank do you?

Fortunately, all the servers I support are done remotely. There really is no need for me to go into the office, other than to get my mail. Now that I have my VPN setup (I got it last night) I am going to start working from home 3 days a week. That way I am visible in the office and still get the benefit of working from home. It really helps that my manager is Charlotte, NC and I am in Atlanta, GA, though.
    wow ... can't believe so many are still using dial-up ... haven't used dial up since 1998 ...

yeah, i wrote that ...
    Some of us would love the choice

(I usually dial up at "49 1/3k", but a fast download is 5k, and 1k to 2k is not uncommon. It will be nice to return to the states next month. It will be even nicer at the end of fall when cable modem service will be offered where I'll be living).
    IYYAYAS

AMMO - Providing the enemy the opportunity to die for his country.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast