Page 73 of 74 FirstFirst ... 236368697071727374 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 1473
  1. #1441  
    Originally posted by BobbyMike


    I won't belabor our decision on the chemo. It was done based on statistics (as was the decision for the masectomy).

    The joke about the Lotto was over your head I guess. Gambling is considered a sinful behavior and wouldn't be something I would expect to be rewarded for.
    Why is gambling a sin? I don't gamble either because I am aware of the fact that on average I will lose money, some of my money will go the the winners and some to the Lotto company. But if grown-ups who are aware of that fact, too, decide to take that risk, what is bad about it? Is it just bad because it is written in a book that it is bad?
  2. #1442  
    Originally posted by BobbyMike
    I won't belabor our decision on the chemo. It was done based on statistics (as was the decision for the masectomy).
    I guess my comment was over your head, but I won't belabor the point.
    [...] From your point of view I guess it makes sense, but you would never expect a prayer to be answered either.
    I'm not sure if you fully grasp my point of view, but time does not allow full elaboration.
    I'm quite aware that you have a deep philosophically difference with me over religion/faith. That's fine. I find it humorous that you consistently will consider anything but a miracle when something does happen.
    I find it humorous that you consider a miracle _first_.
    Instead of trying to think of all the possible ways to circumvent the diagnosis (DNA checking the samples, what is this Star Trek? )
    Star Trek? How is it 'Star Trek' to treat a scientific procedure as a scientific procedure? It's not 'circumventing the diagnosis'. It's either upholding or refuting the diagnosis. Of course, the hospital would likely be unwilling to pursue this given your current state of mind (they wouldn't want to test and discover they made a misdiagnosis originally and open themselves to a malpractice suit when their patient will happily accept the miracle angle).
    you might try an open mind. Oh, wait, that's not logical
    Having an open mind is quite logical to my point of view. I never said your 'miracle' was impossible. I'm simply saying that when a more down-to-earth explanation is feasible and likely, I'm going to take that explanation.
    Someone recently said to me that unless someone experiences the miraculous that can't truly understand it when you witness to them about it.
    Much like unless you see the pink elephants no one will believe you.
    I'm finding that true. I find it very interesting at how hard people will work to "debunk" the miraculous in order to "help" others.
    Gee...you wouldn't think it helping others to discover the secrets of the 'miraculous'? If you tapped into a surefire reproducable way to cure cancer, I'm sure that I could convince even the most skeptical to give it a go. Catch is I don't think you have.
    How would you explain a dry $100 bill falling to my feet in Georgia during a rainstorm (at a time when I had been praying for a solution to a problem that would require about that much money)? This did happen to me last year.
    Perhaps you need to establish a TV ministry then.
    I'm quite sure you can't, yet you'll go around and around without considering the miraculous simply because you don't want to believe.
    More that I've no evidence of it other than your 'witnessing'.
    That's fine Toby, it really is. You're behaving the way most people do, by rejecting anything that doesn't fit into your world view, all the while believing your being logical. All you're doing is limiting your choices/options.
    Sure Bobby. Keep on believing that and you won't have to consider whether your world view is the correct one.
    As to the photos. If my wife grows a new breast, she has already said she'll want to document it (our plastic surgeon wants to also). It may be crass to some, but since we already thought of it I don't think you would be for asking. I don't think it would help, because I believe you would just consider some other explanation for it happening. That's why I joked about you growing one. It's harder to deny a personal experience.
    Yes, and it's easier to analyse a personal experience scientifically if one isn't inclined to believe the Tooth Fairy did it.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  3. #1443  
    Toby, thanks for saying all the things I was thinking. Every one of your points is what I would have said.

    It's fortunate that you have a history with Bobby and can talk this way without being perceived as an attacker.

    I for one was utterly blown away by the Star Trek comment. Talk about denial. I read your suggestion to say that the sample should be DNA matched to make sure the original diagnosis of cancer was correct and there wasnt a mixup. I would have done the same thing. Hospital hacks off my wifes breast and then says there was no evidence of cancer, they'd be double checking and I might just end up owning a hospital. Now if they had said after the procedure "we got it all, there is no reason to worry" that would be different.


    Bobby
    Gambling is considered a sinful behavior


    I am going to ask about this because you cant explain why God answers your prayers (two examples now, Cancer, $100 bill) and not others. Since you seem to be acknowledging that not all prayers are answered, isnt what your engaging in gambling? You ask for help as millions of others do and sometimes, not always, you get it. Lottery: you buy a ticket and sometimes, not always, you win something. Looks pretty darn similar too me. I for one would say your gambling. Of course what I say is irrelevant cause I work for the other guy.

    Well folks gota run. Scratch tickets calling my name. Got to stop and get one on my way to the poker room.


    Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  4. #1444  
    BobbyMike,

    I am glad to hear that your wife is recovering. I am still convinced that something in our diets is causing the cancer. The cancer rights in North America seem to be higher than everywhere else (this is anecdotral not factual. Will have to do some more research at some point).

    I for one know how dangerous how breast cancer could be. On of my favoiurite teachers in high school -- who I was very close to, died from it a few years back and she was just in her 50s.


    Originally posted by BobbyMike
    Cool, I get a chance to update everybody on my wife's well being and refute the whole "God is dead (or was never here in the first place) business".

    First off, for those of you who don't know, my wife was diagnosed with three different cancers in her left breast last year.

    First Diagnosis (this was the lumpectomy)
    Case # S03-13781

    1. LEFT NIPPLE BIOPSY:
    Nuclear grade 3 duct carcinoma in-situ involving large duct of nipple (first cancer) and associated Paget's disease (second cancer) present.

    2. LEFT BREAST MASS:
    Infiltrating duct carcinoma, grade 3 (tubule formation 3/3, nuclear pleomorphism 3/3, mitotic activity 3/3), 1.9 cm. Lymphatic space invasion present.
    Tumor extends close, less than 1 mm, to medial margin, probably within lymphatics.
    Nuclear grade 3 duct carcinoma in-situ with solid patterning, comedo necrosis and associated microcalcification.
    DCIS (thats the first listed cancer) extends close, less than 1 mm, to the superior margin.
    No extensive insitu component identified.
    ER/PRPRPR $and$ $Her$-$2$/$neu$ $requested$.

    Lisle A. Eaton, Jr., MD
    Document reviewed and electronically signed by LAE

    Based on this report, a masectomy was advised, with no other option. They had removed the 1.9 mm aggressive tumor, but had no clear margin around it and the associated Paget's (a type of cancer that attacks the nipple) made them very nervous. There is no known cure for Paget's except radical surgery (complete removal through surgery).
    We repeatedly pushed them on this, asking if anyone had ever reported any kind of spontaneous healing, or reversal, of this kind of cancer. They (the doctors and nurses) said no. Our own research also made us believe there was no medical option but surgery (with following chemo, non-hormone responsive).
    We prayed, had our friends pray, had our church pray, asked our aquaintances to pray, had strangers pray, and even had friends have their friends pray for Elizabeths' complete recovery.

    The day of the surgery she had second thoughts., but decided to go through with it because the scarring on her nipple made us believe she still had the Paget's (after all, no one had ever been cured of it).


    This is the biopsy of the tissue they removed from her (basically her entire left breast).

    Second Diagnosis:
    Case # S04-982

    BREAST, LEFT, MASECTOMY:
    Foci of residual nuclear grade 3 ductal carcinoma in-situ, involving the nipple. (basically the first cancer listed on the first pathology report was receeding by itself to a barely observable level)
    No residual infiltrating ductal carcinoma present. (which was expected as they had removed the tumor during the lumpectomy)
    Inked deep resection margin negative for tumor.
    Negative skin. ( Where's the Paget's?)
    Eight axillary lymph nodes negative for tumor (0/8)

    Beiqing Liu, MD
    Document reviewed and electronically signed by BL

    Because they can't explain how the cancer disappeared, they recommended that she go through chemo anyway.

    We laughed and said we'd think about it.

    (all of this was experienced at St. Peter's Hospital in Albany, NY, an excellent world-class facility that we would recommend to anyone)


    Based on your believe this "miracle" could be the direct result of:



    Now we're praying for a complete regeneration of her breast.

    Why not?
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
  5. #1445  
    Why is God a he and not a she? At this point there is no way to prove that God exists or does not exist. That is why we have faith.

    Originally posted by BobbyMike


    As to why He would heal my wife and not others? How the heck should I know? He's God, I'm not. I'm not supposed to understand him. I don't believe it's because He loves us more, or because we have less sin in our lives, or because we go to church more. I'm just grateful.

    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
  6. #1446  
    I ahve had numerous people who thinks that gambling is sin and buying stocks is OK. They are both gambling to me. Ask the millione of people who lost mullah due to the Enron collaps and IMCline controversy.

    Originally posted by clulup

    Why is gambling a sin? I don't gamble either because I am aware of the fact that on average I will lose money, some of my money will go the the winners and some to the Lotto company. But if grown-ups who are aware of that fact, too, decide to take that risk, what is bad about it? Is it just bad because it is written in a book that it is bad?
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
  7. #1447  
    Originally posted by yardie
    I ahve had numerous people who thinks that gambling is sin and buying stocks is OK.
    What about playing the odds on cancer therapies?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  8. #1448  
    Zoinks!
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
  9. #1449  
    Originally posted by yardie
    I am still convinced that something in our diets is causing the cancer.
    You must be right. I have recently seen statistics showing that almost 100.0% of all the people diagnosed with cancer have eaten before getting ill.

    Actually e.g. stomach cancer rates have gone down considerably since people don't eat that much smoked food any more - ahh, the good old days, when everything was better and healthier.


    The cancer rights in North America seem to be higher than everywhere else (this is anecdotral not factual. Will have to do some more research at some point).
    I bet cancer rates in North America (and other developed countries) are higher than e.g. in Africa: the older you get, the higher your chance of a mutation somewhere in your body leading to uncontrolled growth in some tissue, a.k.a. cancer. Dying young (from Malaria, AIDS, etc.) helps a lot in not getting cancer.
  10. #1450  
    Originally posted by yardie
    Why is God a he and not a she?
    A woman once told me that when God created Adam, she was only practising.
  11. #1451  
    Dear Inane Ramblings,

    How do you feel about getting your post record demolished by the young upstart The AFLAC Duck and I?
  12. #1452  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Dear Inane Ramblings,

    How do you feel about getting your post record demolished by the young upstart The AFLAC Duck and I?
    REBORN.
    We shall crush all competing threads.

    Well, more likely that I'll post one or two things then forget about it and resurface in another year or two.

    But hey, I bought a sprint treo 650 a month or so ago, so what the heck? I've even got a question I'll be taking a look at in the 650 hardware section, but I have to do my due dilligence and search to see if it's already been answered (what a good forum citizen I am), and that will take a month or two.

    All these whippersnappers here. upstaging my post count. Back in my day, we had to snap our phones into the back of our visors and we liked it. We didn't have no fancy pockettunes, we had soundsgood modules and even if they didn't (soundgood) we liked that too. You guys think that the quality control on the treo is bad enough to warrant a lawsuit. I got two words for you:

    Visor. Edge.

    And don't you forget it!

    And don't talk to me about no fancy bluetooth. And no fancy SD cards. We slapped a modified PC Card slot adapter in that bad boy and put in a CF card and were were HAPPY, dangnabit!

    And don't get me started on the number of posts this board sees every day. It's gotten so a guy can't keep up without making it his full time job. I used to a moderator! I coulda been a contender! I... uh..

    so, let's stay on topic, yes. inane ramble. Lessee....

    I am now a nonpraticising zen buddhist. discuss.
  13. #1453  
    Septimus--
    I appreciated the flashback. I liked my Edge, but traded that sucker in on a Prism within the time alloted.

    But mostly, I appreciated the advice to folks who need to learn how to exercise the "block" option!

    Hope you are well!

    P.S. Today is my daughter's first birthday!!
  14. #1454  
    Quote Originally Posted by K. Cannon
    Septimus--
    I appreciated the flashback. I liked my Edge, but traded that sucker in on a Prism within the time alloted.

    But mostly, I appreciated the advice to folks who need to learn how to exercise the "block" option!

    Hope you are well!

    P.S. Today is my daughter's first birthday!!
    Congrats on your little girl's bday!

    Sidenote, just a few days ago I contemplated bringing this very thread out of the mothballs in light of how bad the Aflac Duck thread is.
  15. #1455  
    Quote Originally Posted by K. Cannon
    Septimus--
    P.S. Today is my daughter's first birthday!!
    Happy Birthday Daughter!

    Ah prism. How I miss thy gargantuan bulk in my pocket! I think I'll carry around a half-gallon of milk for the rest of the day as a reminder!

    Ah Deluxe! So much RAM!

    Ah Platinum! Your incredible speed was matched only by your terrible paint job!

    Ah treo 180! Never again will I feel like I've been holding a TPS report binder up to my face! I shall always miss your monochrome goodness! These garishly backlit keys will never compare to your unlit mystery!
  16. #1456  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Congrats on your little girl's bday!
    Thanks!!
  17. #1457  
    Speaking of previous palms. I loved my Palm V. Small, never ran out of battery and reliable with very little crashes.
  18. #1458  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Speaking of previous palms. I loved my Palm V. Small, never ran out of battery and reliable with very little crashes.
    You know, I think that the reason that the Edge problem threads were so passionate was because it was such a great device. Insanely cool form factor, great design (well, great look and feel, anyway). it was just so dissapointing when it failed repeatedly. It was the one and only palm that i kept in my back pocket.
  19. Rob
    Rob is offline
    Rob's Avatar
    Posts
    531 Posts
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    #1459  
    Happy birthday to your little girl!!!

    My son just turned 6 months old last week! (one of the reasons I haven't been around much lately...)
  20. #1460  
    Let's all wave at one another.

Posting Permissions