Page 71 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2161666768697071727374 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 1473
    Has this thread finally bit the dust?
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Seemed to pop back up as the "test" thread over in A Place to Test Things Out.
    But what do I know of such things?
    Rusty J
    Everything that Rises Must Converge
    600GSM/270/90
    TT3
    Originally posted by Rusty J
    Seemed to pop back up as the "test" thread over in A Place to Test Things Out.
    Yep. One of the reasons I bumped this is so people will know what a truly useless thread is for.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Has this thread finally bit the dust?
    Apparently not.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Wow! Hello Old Friends!!
    What were we talking about?
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Originally posted by MarkEagle
    What were we talking about?
    Me.

We must have been talking about me. After all...the world does revolve around me.
    Yay you are back! I thought we lost you for good .

This thread must hold the TC record for the most "replies"

Originally posted by K. Cannon
    Wow! Hello Old Friends!!
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    Originally posted by yardie

This thread must hold the TC record for the most "replies"

I don't think that's going to be a problem for a long long long long long long whie.
    odd that this thread gets bumped the day before I decide to check in again ...

I've got a broken foot. Discuss.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    ... it wasn't your thumb. That would make text-entry a little awkward.
    Or was the question, "Discuss. Give three examples."

Rusty J
    600GSM/270/90(BT SDIO)/TT3
    Everything That Rises Must Converge.
    Well I must say it has been an amazing few hours.

Yes I read this thread from start to finish. I'm not sure why. I think just so I could post and feel like I was a part of the complete inanity (is that a word?) of it all.

I have to say the topics degraded abit this last year. The deeply philosophical stuff the first year was very thought provoking.

Toby, Josh and BobbyMike, I applaud your ability to discuss vastly different viewpoints and remain well above civil.

There were many times I wanted to post but it would have been so out of time that it would not have been relevant.

Let's keep this thread going. It's cool.

Thanks all

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Originally posted by Woof
    Well I must say it has been an amazing few hours.

Yes I read this thread from start to finish.
    Yes, that is amazing.
    I'm not sure why.
    You must be a masochist.
    I think just so I could post and feel like I was a part of the complete inanity (is that a word?) of it all.
    Yes, it's a word, and if you read from start to finish, you are officially part of the inanity (but only if you stick to not knowing why...if you did it with a purpose, it becomes non inane...or would that make it ane?).
    I have to say the topics degraded abit this last year.
    Yes, we've all been more busy since the heyday of The Rambling. I blame it all on Deiter.
    The deeply philosophical stuff the first year was very thought provoking.
    And yet totally inane. That was the dark beauty of The Ramble.
    Toby, Josh and BobbyMike, I applaud your ability to discuss vastly different viewpoints and remain well above civil.
    Well, that's pretty easy when you know that you're right and the others are just begging to be led down the right path.
    There were many times I wanted to post but it would have been so out of time that it would not have been relevant.
    Ahh...I see you're not quite ready to embrace the truth of The Ramble. The irrelevancy would have captured its spirit and possibly led it back into its glory.
    Let's keep this thread going. It's cool.
    It's had its moments.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Toby

I am honored that you dissected and responded to my post, line by line, in the time honored tradition of this thread.

I read the whole thing not because of my masochistic nature but because, in the beginning (no pun intended) there was much discussion about religion. I find that a fascinating subject and wanted to see what everyone had to say.

I personally agree with a few of the posters in that I have no use for organized religion. I think it is entirely possible for a person to have a relationship with a higher power without having to attend services or read a book.

I don't really subscribe the idea of a 'god' that is omnipotent and all that stuff. I lean more towards George Lucas' notion that there is an energy present in all things, and its changes and machinations have a ripple effect on other things. I know there will be those who immediately scoff because I seem to be saying I got my religion from a 70's sci-fi flick, but to me the premise is sound.

I honestly don't know too much about many religions beyond the Christian realm, so I can't say much about those. I do think Chritianity in its many forms is farce played on the people of this world. It has too many holes in it. I liken it to swiss cheese. From afar it looks solid enough, but the closer you look the more holes you see.
    I am discouraged by some peoples blind willingness to believe it just because they read it in a book someone else told them was true. Also the whole 'inspired by God' business is just a tad ridiculous. If I were to write a book that I hoped would allow me to influence the masses based on a belief in higher being, of course I would say it was inspired by God.

There are also numerous books showing the relationships between Jesus, Son of God and many other religions of the same kind in the period when Christianity was born. The Jesus Mysteries http://www.jesusmysteries.demon.co.uk/home.html is a good example.

On and on I go..... I also read a book some many years ago called Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...bosnation0e-20

In the story he talks about the possibility that the story of Jesus was just that. I am reminded of the adage or whatever you want to call it about telling a story enough times that it be comes accepted as truth even though it may not be.

Ok thats enough for now.

Remeber Josh this is all your fault.

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I like this one.
    Are you kidding me? 99% of Toby's postings are ;ike that. I think it does it because he feels that his message / arguement get across much easier.

Toby

I am honored that you dissected and responded to my post, line by line, in the time honored tradition of this thread.

Woof
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    So, Woof ... may I call you Woof?

Since you just read the whole thing, I don't suppose I said anything intelligent or humorous, did I? Just wondering.

By the by, you're not a ZOMBIE Woof, are you? Frank Zappa reference.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Originally posted by Toby
    I blame it all on Deiter.
    Quiet, You.
    There are also numerous books showing the relationships between Jesus, Son of God and many other religions of the same kind in the period when Christianity was born. The Jesus Mysteries http://www.jesusmysteries.demon.co.uk/home.html is a good example.

On and on I go..... I also read a book some many years ago called Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...bosnation0e-20
    Two points. One, Foucault's Pendulum is a superb book (but not explicitly about Jesus, so don't let that keep you from it.)

Two, I am very intrigued by the resurgence of interest in non-orthodox visions of Jesus. It seems to pop up every few years, and now with this whole Da Vinci Code Phenomenon*. Goes along with, seems to me, the horribly written and conceived yet wildly popular Left Behind series in that there seems to be more of an acceptance to rethink or refictionalize religious ..stuff. In a way, it's a refreshing change from an artificial emphasis on the bible as the end-all-be-all of religious writing.

...I hope my post doesn't read as trolling. Welcome to the Ramble, Roof, er, Woof.

---

* which I haven't read, but I've been one of those "yeah, he and Magdalene were more than friends" commenters for awhile - commenting from ignorance, I should add, because I don't know if that will stand up to a Toby Parse. In other news, I hereby dub that method of message board interaction as "The TobyParse" One word.
    Toby

Toby indeed is the ultimate Master of the Quote Button..... (in the "vBvBvB $Code$&$quot$; $section$ $above$ $the$ $field$ $you$ $type$ $your$ $reply$ $in$). $His$ $dissection$ $of$ $text$/$arguments$ $makes$ $me$ $smile$ $when$ $he$ $is$ $on$ $my$ $side$, $but$ $gets$ $on$ $my$ $nerves$ $when$ $he$ $isn$'$t$