Page 55 of 74 FirstFirst ... 545505152535455565758596065 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1473
  1. #1081  
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    No, my nice Acadian friend--that's "Grandmere"
    It would be more like 'me-mere' or maw-maw (pronounced more like mon-mon, but you'd really have to hear it) 'round here.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  2. #1082  
    Originally posted by Toby
    It would be more like 'me-mere' or maw-maw (pronounced more like mon-mon, but you'd really have to hear it) 'round here.
    Yeah, well, I do the best I can with the 3 years of HS French (taught by a South Carolina gal named "Dixie" no less) and the two semesters at college.

    Given my German heritage, we go with "Oma"
  3. #1083  
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    Given my German heritage, we go with "Oma"
    Dutch too. We call my parents "Oma" and "Opa." His parents are "Grandma" and "Grandpa." It helped when the kids were little, since it was easier to tell the granparents apart. Plus my mom really wanted to be called "Oma."

    I still speak Dutch, but since the whole of Holland (practically) speaks English, it's kind of useless as a second language. Sigh...
    "When I am Empress...Heads will roll!"
    Queen of Parts
  4. #1084  
    Originally posted by fixitgal
    We call my parents "Oma" and "Opa." His parents are "Grandma" and "Grandpa." It helped when the kids were little, since it was easier to tell the granparents apart.
    My kids have "Grammie" (my mom) and "Nana" and "Ba" (my inlaws). Now, don't ask where the "Ba" comes from... you'd probably never believe it.
    .
    .....
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  5. #1085  
    Originally posted by MarkEagle
    [...] Now, don't ask where the "Ba" comes from... you'd probably never believe it.
    He really likes eggplant-based spreads/dips?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  6. #1086  
    Originally posted by fixitgal
    I still speak Dutch, but since the whole of Holland (practically) speaks English, it's kind of useless as a second language. Sigh...
    What about for the cool familial names!! What are the Dutch for "aunt" and "uncle"?
  7. #1087  
    Originally posted by K. Cannon

    What are the Dutch for "aunt" and "uncle"?
    Aunt is "Tante" and uncle is "Oom" (with a long "o" sound, like in "ohm".) Unfortunately my nieces call me "Auntie," so I don't get to be a Tante.

    Brother is "Broer" (sounds like "brewer") and Sister is "Sus" (but it sounds like "Zus.")

    The cool part is that you can add "je" to almost any word to make it a "diminutive." Such as "little sister" would be "susje." (sounds like "zusya.")
    "When I am Empress...Heads will roll!"
    Queen of Parts
  8. #1088  
    Originally posted by fixitgal

    Dutch too. We call my parents "Oma" and "Opa." His parents are "Grandma" and "Grandpa." It helped when the kids were little, since it was easier to tell the granparents apart. Plus my mom really wanted to be called "Oma."
    With my family, my mother's parents were "Nonu" and "Nona" (North Italian, not that Nonu agreed -- he never quite warmed up to Garibaldi and said he was a Fulan from Friuli, disliking and avoiding the term "Italian" to his grave) and my father's were "Opa" and "Oma." I believe my nephew and neices use "Opa" and "Grandma" for my parents. Feh -- now I feel old.
  9. #1089  
    Originally posted by fixitgal

    Sister is "Sus" (but it sounds like "Zus.")

    The cool part is that you can add "je" to almost any word to make it a "diminutive." Such as "little sister" would be "susje." (sounds like "zusya.")
    Correction it is Zus (sounds like Zus) or old fashioned: Zuster (like in Sister)

    Did we discus father and mother (vader en moeder aka pa en moe aka papa en mama) yet?
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  10. #1090  
    Originally posted by ToolkiT

    Correction it is Zus (sounds like Zus) or old fashioned: Zuster (like in Sister)

    Did we discus father and mother (vader en moeder aka pa en moe aka papa en mama) yet?
    Thanks for the correction. I can speak Dutch, but I can't spell it...

    I actually call my parents "Mams" and "Paps." When I was younger (much, much younger...) I called them Mama and Papa. They call each other Moe and Pa (or their names, Greet and Ge.)

    I never called my mom "Moe" because it sounds like "Moo." We used to crack up when we learned to sing "Old McDonald Had a Farm" because we always thought the cow was calling for it's mother.

    Going to kindergarten was a real challenge for me, since we spoke Dutch at home and English at school. To me they were the same, and I used them interchangeably. Drove the teacher nuts...

    My daughters called my opa "Opapa." He was the only one of my grandparents that was still alive to see his great-grandchildren. Is there a word for "great-grandfather?"
    "When I am Empress...Heads will roll!"
    Queen of Parts
  11. #1091  
    Originally posted by fixitgal

    My daughters called my opa "Opapa." He was the only one of my grandparents that was still alive to see his great-grandchildren. Is there a word for "great-grandfather?"
    Opa is also called grootvader (grandfather) and great grandfather is overgrootvader.
    BTW I knew mine too, still have a picture of 4 generations taken when I was a baby..
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  12. #1092  
    language GEEKS
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  13. #1093  
    Originally posted by miradu
    language GEEKS
    Dont reflect your lack of culture on us
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  14. #1094  
    Originally posted by miradu
    language GEEKS
    You're just upset because you can't make spelling mistakes in two languages.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  15. #1095  
    Originally posted by Toby
    You're just upset because you can't make spelling mistakes in two languages.
    Yeah, take example of me, I can make spelling mistakes in at least 4 languages
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  16. #1096  
    Originally posted by K. Cannon

    Perhaps you mean "grammar" class...
    actually I did that intentionally ... probably too subtle a jab.

    and you're coming waaaay to close to my real name for comfort.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
  17. #1097  
    Originally posted by miradu
    language GEEKS
    penguin!
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
  18. #1098  
    Originally posted by miradu
    language GEEKS
    He spelled "language" right!

    I'm so proud...
    "When I am Empress...Heads will roll!"
    Queen of Parts
  19. #1099  
    Originally posted by Yorick

    actually I did that intentionally ... probably too subtle a jab.
    Sure ya did...

    and you're coming waaaay to close to my real name for comfort.
    Hey, I never said I wasn't all knowing...
  20. #1100  
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    Hey, I never said I wasn't all knowing...
    ... and with a wicked sense of humor.

    Hey wait!... Does that mean that Yorick's real name is "Caesar?"
    "When I am Empress...Heads will roll!"
    Queen of Parts

Posting Permissions