Page 41 of 74 FirstFirst ... 31363738394041424344454651 ... LastLast
    "BTW, Bobby, if you're still wondering why Dogbert's ears are up, they're permanently stuck that way from being held up by them (see avatar for reference). "

That is just too cute. Must keep wife from seeing picture or she will change mind about trying for a girl child.
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
    Originally posted by BobbyMike
    That is just too cute. Must keep wife from seeing picture or she will change mind about trying for a girl child.
    heh...actually, the avatar that I'm working on at the moment will be even better than that one.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  3.    #803  
    She doesn't look like you at all.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    She doesn't look like you at all.
    Actually, she's a pretty even mix between me and my wife.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  5.    #805  
    Originally posted by Toby
    heh...actually, the avatar that I'm working on at the moment will be even better than that one.
    Nice touch.
    -Joshua
  6.    #806  
    My affair with Linux has, unfortunately, come to a tentative halt. I got tired of configuring and just wanted to get stuff done (like watching TV). If my computer had a standard video card and a simple CDRW, I wouldn't have done windows. Unfortunately, I'm enjoying windows too much to be able to consider myself an open source zealot. I'm just coming down from the cold from hell and am not quite right in the head, and, as such, feel that this is the perfect opportunity to define a credo toward which I spend the rest of my life trying to attain. Anyone have any good ones?

aside: I realize trying to revive this thread after the abuse it was put through last time is a dicey proposition, but I really feel it must be done. It may just be perception, but VC has seemed slow since I got sick.
    -Joshua
    My affair with Linux has, unfortunately, come to a tentative halt. I got tired of configuring and just wanted to get stuff done (like watching TV). If my computer had a standard video card and a simple CDRW, I wouldn't have done windows. Unfortunately, I'm enjoying windows too much to be able to consider myself an open source zealot.
    The pay and the hours for zealotry suck.
    I'm just coming down from the cold from hell and am not quite right in the head, and, as such, feel that this is the perfect opportunity to define a credo toward which I spend the rest of my life trying to attain. Anyone have any good ones?
    So long as it does not harm another, do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.
    aside: I realize trying to revive this thread after the abuse it was put through last time is a dicey proposition, but I really feel it must be done. It may just be perception, but VC has seemed slow since I got sick.
    VC has been pretty slow since the initial hubbub about Dubinsky's slip of the lip. The Treo forums are where the 'cool' people are.
  8.    #808  
    The pay and the hours for zealotry suck.
    Yes, but I hear it's fulfilling.
    So long as it does not harm another, do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.
    I'm not sure if that's the criterion for choosing a credo, or a suggestion for one. I'll go with the later. Thanks.

Dare we go into what constitutes 'another'? I like fishing.
    VC has been pretty slow since the initial hubbub about Dubinsky's slip of the lip. The Treo forums are where the 'cool' people are.
    And Dr. Bohn is there?
    -Joshua
    And Dr. Bohn is there?
    Where has dr. bones been?

Midterms, I guess. And I haven't had the spare interest to apply to various and sundry PDA periphery... I am very appreciative of the box thread though..

If toby hadn'ta beat me to it, I woulda suggest the do what thou wilt...

I think I need to turn back to D.T. Suzuki... My classes are soul-sucking and I need to have something to fill me with wonder again, Zen Buddhism may just be the ticket.
    you know what? (totalyl unrelated to the discussion) WHY do I always skip over this thread, except when I'm reading past midnight?!?! WHY? it is a history. It is the discussion..
    WTF am I talking about? I jsut wrote my english paper. ick.. Literary critisism sucks. night

wtf am I writing?
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  11.    #811  
    Originally posted by miradu2000
    wtf am I writing?
    Um, I'm not sure, but you picked the right place for it.

And might I add that you are starting to sound entirely too much like a mod. "...totalyl unrelated to the discussion" indeed! Mr. Hromadka, you need to let the poor lad develop on his own.
    -Joshua
    [...] I'm not sure if that's the criterion for choosing a credo, or a suggestion for one. I'll go with the later. Thanks.
    It could be both, but it was intended as the latter.
    Dare we go into what constitutes 'another'? I like fishing.
    'Another' would seem to be another in your species. Personally, I prefer to apply it to everything except for bugs that are trying to bite me and cattle.
    And Dr. Bohn is there?
    Note that cool was in single quotes denoting that it was a word that others might use, but I wouldn't necessarily.
    Note that cool was in single quotes denoting that it was a word that others might use, but I wouldn't necessarily.
    Your Mom.
    Originally posted by miradu2000
    WTF am I talking about? I jsut wrote my english paper. ick.. Literary critisism sucks. night
    you know something, you suck!

What are you criticizing?

Here's something for y'all to suck on: at what point does having a defined philosophy limit your ability to make choices. Sartre believe that 95% percent of people are objects, not subject, and therefore don't even qualify as humans.
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    [...] Here's something for y'all to suck on: at what point does having a defined philosophy limit your ability to make choices. [...]
    At the point in which it becomes defined. Once one delegates decision-making to a defined set of philosophical rules, one becomes a program. If A, then B. Being able to bend or break ones own rules when the need arises (and being able to judge when that need exists) is part of what makes one human. For an example, see my post in which I say that I'm about to purchase a computer running Windows XP.
    Sartre believe that 95% percent of people are objects, not subject, and therefore don't even qualify as humans.
    "Why am I here? Why are you here? Why is anybody here? I think it was Jean-Paul Sartre who once said... how do you spell spell Sartre?" - Emmett Fitz-Hume
    "WTF am I talking about? I jsut wrote my english paper. ick.. Literary critisism sucks. night "

I guess you're right as long as you don't want to grow up to be a Literary Critic. For the rest of us it's pretty useless (don't listen to DB, he just realized he'll never get out of school).

"At the point in which it becomes defined. Once one delegates decision-making to a defined set of philosophical rules, one becomes a program. If A, then B. Being able to bend or break ones own rules when the need arises (and being able to judge when that need exists) is part of what makes one human. "

Which is why I believe AI will never be able to really duplicate the Human thought process. We can simulate, but how can we duplicate the ineffable?

Sarte was a dyspeptic and morose French guy, of course he thought that way. And of course he believed he was a five percenter.
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
  17.    #817  
    Originally posted by BobbyMike
    Which is why I believe AI will never be able to really duplicate the Human thought process. We can simulate, but how can we duplicate the ineffable?
    When I started using my Tandy 'laptop', I got into an argument with a friend as to the possibility a computer could ever give a truly random number. I lost that argument in time.
    -Joshua
    Josh-

the word for your sig is eugenics.

yup.
  19.    #819  
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    Josh-

the word for your sig is eugenics.
    Partly. 'Eugenics' connotes intent.
    -Joshua
    Partly. 'Eugenics' connotes intent.
    ...and design and some level of authority and enforcement. Last I checked, no one was forcing mothers in the US to kill their unborn. Actually, considering the 'popularity' of abortions and being 'pro-choice', I don't understand what all the hubbub is about that Yates woman in Houston.