Page 25 of 74 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by Toby
    I thought we already banned 'assault weapons'? You see...the problem with that term is that it doesn't _mean_ anything. Just like pr0n ('I can't define it, but I know it when I see it.'). There is functionally no difference between an SKS and a Ruger Mini-14 'Ranch Rifle' (so called because they're popular with ranchers for keeping predators away). AAMOF, if you ever watched the A-Team, the Mini-14 was their personal preference. So, what's the difference if I have 2 30-round magazines vs. 12 5-round magazines (they make both for both rifles)?
    Well, there you go. The distinctions are wickedly difficult to make, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't make them. I'm with you 100% WRT to licenses. In fact, if we had licenses like we do for driving, we could have different classes, i.e you only the get the big scary guns if you can show a certain ability and safety consciousness (and dare I say need?) ...

I don't think any three of us really disagree with each other all that much in a world where we're not afraid of the other's lobby.
    Originally posted by Rob
    In that case, we're not actually that far apart. I think you should license gun owners too. Handguns are like normal cars, just take a class and pass a test and get your license (some states take your fingerprint too, but let's not go down that rat-hole just yet). You need a special class of license to drive certain types of large trucks or operate certain specialized machinery.
    Look about 40% of the way down on page 30 of the thread. I already said that.
    A few types of motorized vehicles are not even allowed on the streets.
    These would be analagous to automatic weapons which are already heavily regulated (albeit not actually illegal as some people think, they're just heavily taxed and regulated).
    The only thing to decide is which types of weapons are significantly more dangerous and have few enough legitimate civilian uses that they should be banned or places in a more restrictive class. But I don't know enough about guns to even try categorizing them myself.
    I think the problem is with the concept of 'civilian' use.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    [...] In fact, if we had licenses like we do for driving, we could have different classes, i.e you only the get the big scary guns if you can show a certain ability and safety consciousness (and dare I say need?) ...
    Sheesh, you missed that too (page 30)? I thought my CGL idea was pretty friggin' cool.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  4. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    I don't think any three of us really disagree with each other all that much in a world where we're not afraid of the other's lobby.
    Actually Toby's lobby scares the bejeesus out of me! Rotting wood floors, broken staircases, and a chandalier only 1/3-connected to the ceiling...I'm never staying in his hotel again (despite the free pr0n)!
  5. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Sheesh, you missed that too (page 30)? I thought my CGL idea was pretty friggin' cool.
    Maybe the problem is that none of us knows what 'CGL' stands for.
  6. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Only 15 more posts to go before we get to 500...quick, get Josh to start bashing organized religion again! That should generate some responses!
    Originally posted by Rob
    Only 15 more posts to go before we get to 500...quick, get Josh to start bashing organized religion again! That should generate some responses!
    I think that has been done to death on this thread alone. Here is a possible list of contraversial topics that could be discussed:

national missile defense
    astrobiology
    non-organized religion
    X-Box vs. Gamecube vs. Playstation 2
    Fox News vs. MSNBC
    Boxers vs. Briefs
    Apples vs. Oranges
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
    I might as well as start discussing here. It almost like this a nice sane thread in a sea of hungry wolves, sensing a feeding frenzy after Dubinsky's "announcement." Have you seen so many anti-Handspringites on this board at one time?!?

Anyways, I am a member of the NRA. There I said. I have been a member of the NRA for two years. I believe that in some cases gun control is needed and is often well intentioned but each law ends up falling flat on its face. Most times it has nothing to do with the quality of the law but in the enforcement. So what do lawmakers do, make more laws. I agree, I don't see the purpose of owning huge assault rifles that would kill a large dinosaur. However, in the hands of a lawful gun collector, I guess it isn't a bad thing. Most people who own those huge assault weapons don't own them to use them (except for those in the security business) but they own them to show off (My gun is bigger than your gun). They put on their gun racks or in glass display cases. For these people a regular rifle would be too m100ish but man, those bigger, better guns are so T615C. However, in the hands of a criminal, it can be a bad thing to say the least. I definitely say let lawful people own what they want while felons should be allowed jack squat.
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
    I'm in awe of this thread. I'm in awe of this thread. I said it twice on purpose. I've only read the first and last half-dozen posts. ****-rich, what's the view like when teetering on one foot at the junction of sanity, delerium, and 10th dimensional space?
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
  10. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Drat! I actually took up the challenge and tried to re-read this thread from the first post (all hail Josh, the creator! ) but I've only gotten to page six and it's time to go meet my friends for dinner. I expect you folks to break the 500 post barrier by the time I get back, you got that?
    Originally posted by Rob
    Drat! I actually took up the challenge and tried to re-read this thread from the first post (all hail Josh, the creator! ) but I've only gotten to page six and it's time to go meet my friends for dinner. I expect you folks to break the 500 post barrier by the time I get back, you got that?
    Actually, the magic number isn't 500 but 645. The largest thread on Visorcentral is "Better Screen Protectors" @ 644 replies. This threads has a way to go before it hits that mark. But with enough pointless posts like the one I am typing right now, I have no doubt it will reach that number.
    I cannot belive that this thread is STILL alive.... I also seemed to have missed half the discussions -= bac kto rereading it again...
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by Rob
    Actually Toby's lobby scares the bejeesus out of me! Rotting wood floors, broken staircases, and a chandalier only 1/3-connected to the ceiling...I'm never staying in his hotel again (despite the free pr0n)!
    Well, actually, I can't stand pr0n (I'm much more suited to one woman in the flesh rather than stereotyped representations), but I don't see a problem with other people looking at it as long as they're not hurting anyone in the process of it (including production). And besides, my bunker lobby has concrete floors and no steps or chandeliers. Mwuahahahaha!!!
    Originally posted by Rob
    Maybe the problem is that none of us knows what 'CGL' stands for.
    It was a play on CDL (Commercial Driver's License). That's what truckers, cabbies, or any professional driver has to get.
    Originally posted by volcanopele
    national missile defense
    I say let the missle nation defend itself. Our military is spread too thin as it is to go defending some nation of missles.
    astrobiology
    I'm a Capricorn.
    non-organized religion
    We covered that in this thread already (Tobology). Josh was applying to be my Messiah, but we both decided that having a Messiah was too organized and played out.
    No opinion since I haven't touched a game console since 1989.
    Fox News vs. MSNBC
    They're both better than CNN, but neither of them is very good (although I do like Hardball).
    Boxers vs. Briefs
    Tyson can take any lawyer in 90 seconds or less, but they'd have their day in court after.
    Apples vs. Oranges
    I don't see the connection between a computer maker and wireless provider. Is Apple releasing a new wireless phone in the UK?
    I say let the missle nation defend itself. Our military is spread too thin as it is to go defending some nation of missles.

I'm a Capricorn.

We covered that in this thread already (Tobology). Josh was applying to be my Messiah, but we both decided that having a Messiah was too organized and played out.

No opinion since I haven't touched a game console since 1989.

They're both better than CNN, but neither of them is very good (although I do like Hardball).

Tyson can take any lawyer in 90 seconds or less, but they'd have their day in court after.

I don't see the connection between a computer maker and wireless provider. Is Apple releasing a new wireless phone in the UK?
    Fox News is better than the others. Oranges can kick any apples but, but I think crabapples got tangerines beat. Boxers can bite people with briefs, the dogs are mean that way. I have an X-Box so I am biased. As far as Tobology goes, what are the tenets of your religion? Have you had any martyrs? I am a scorpio but that is beside the point, astrobiology=ET=little green bacteria. I am for missile defense, I would rather not have a missile land near me (I live 2 miles from #7 on the Russian and presumable otehr countries list of nuclear targets).
    Well, actually, I can't stand pr0n (I'm much more suited to one woman in the flesh rather than stereotyped representations), but I don't see a problem with other people looking at it as long as they're not hurting anyone in the process of it (including production). And besides, my bunker lobby has concrete floors and no steps or chandeliers. Mwuahahahaha!!!
    I won't even begin to describe the bunker I live in. But it does contain wooden floors and a Nutrarat. As far as pr0n goes, my philosophy is, "What ever floats your boat." Some people I ust don't get and people who watch that stuff would be one of them.
    "Well, there you go. The distinctions are wickedly difficult to make, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't make them. I'm with you 100% WRT to licenses. In fact, if we had licenses like we do for driving, we could have different classes, i.e you only the get the big scary guns if you can show a certain ability and safety consciousness (and dare I say need?) ... "

Who gets to decide need? As it stands anyone who qualify can hold a CDL, without showing a 'need'. I think that it would be important to focus on ability and qualification rather on whether you, I, or any other individual decided for someone else what they should, or shouldn't own because of perceived need.

I would support a yearly testing and fee based system of gun and drivers licenses. Shoot, I don't think it would hurt to look at a licensing system for having children (as long as was kept to questions concerning plain old common sense like:

1) How long can a three old be left alone in a closed car while you're in the store?
    a) Five minutes
    b) Ten minutes
    c) Half an hour or longer
    d) None of the above
    2) How old should your child be when you let them stay out past midnite with "some kids they know"?
    a) 10 years old
    b) 13 years old
    c) 15 years old
    d) Voting age
    3) "Spending quality time" with your teenager can involve:
    a) Watching a 'reality' TV show with them.
    b) Critiqueing (sic) their performance at school/home.
    c) Hosting a keg party for their friends.
    d) Have a long, private canversation with them, mostly listening to what they have to say.

Etc.)

PS this thread is way more diverse and interesting than that old "Better Screen Protector" thread ever was!!!
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
    645?!?!?! dang, we gots some work to do...

lessee....

WRT:

national missile defense
    Um, let's work out suitcasebomb defense first. Oh, and maybe deal with Israel and Palestine, India and Pakistan, so there's less of a problem in the firstplace.
    astrobiology
    I dunno. Sure, there's intelligent life out there. What they hey. And they worship Jesus, too. He had to do a hole nother ressurection and such, but oh well.
    non-organized religion
    Non-Existent Entity. (heh...)
    your mom.
    Fox News vs. MSNBC
    dude, Fox News is bunk. Worse, it's right-wing, Bush-proppoing propagandistic bunk. MSNBC is Corporate bunk. CNN is also corporate bunk, but at least they've got a good old left-wing history behind them. Didn't we cover this elsewhere? oh yeah, here
    Boxers vs. Briefs
    Boxers. Once you switch you can never go back. Plus, the wife doesn't laugh at them.
    Apples vs. Oranges
    Oranges. Apples suck.

Orignally posted by BobbyMike
    Who gets to decide need? As it stands anyone who qualify can hold a CDL, without showing a 'need'. I think that it would be important to focus on ability and qualification rather on whether you, I, or any other individual decided for someone else what they should, or shouldn't own because of perceived need.
    The national legislature decides, the president signs and enforces it, and the supreme court makes sure it's constitutional. We look at "need" because we're talking about tools which are designed to kill folks, and animals, and we need to make sure it's the right one for the right reason. With trucks, well, they're designed to go places.

WRT Parenting: I'm with ya, man. People be dumb.
    The problem is not the guns. The problem is with the people. If you put a gun in the hand of a killer, the odds are he will kill. That same person would likely be just as deadly with a knife. However, you put a gun in the hand of his victim, and he just might think twice about it.

As for a License, I feel this could be a good thing, but only if done correctly. Any type of license would no doubt be an attempt to squash gun ownership, not help the law abiding citizen.

Give me a license that does a thorough background check. Charge me a fee that is not completely out of this world. Make me take training, specific to the type of firearm my license allows me. Then give me a license that allows me to carry a firearm any where I go. If I live in Georgia, it should be just as good in California. Unfortunately, to accomplish this, it would no doubt have to be governed on a Federal Level, and this scares me more than the license itself.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2