Page 15 of 74 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516171819202565 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    I was referring to inanity in general...
    Thought you meant religion...all your inanities are belong to us?
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    K, are you the prophet of Toby's Religion?
    K, are you the prophet of Toby's Religion?
    Nope, that would be d-r. I am obviously the Goddess or the Jester. Whichever.
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    There is no Yusef Islam.
    Then the real question would be whether there is a 'Steven Demetri Georgiou'.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    No, All Your Inanity Are Belong To Us.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Nope, that would be d-r. I am obviously the Goddess or the Jester. Whichever.
    They are all the same. We are all the Alpha and Omega. We are all love, and love is all you need. In the event of a water landing, your seat can become a flotation device. Of course, why can't the plane just become a boat? You could be the Eggmen. I'll be the Walrus. We'll all sing googoog'joob as we plummet to our deaths...
  7. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Toby
    No, All Your Inanity Are Belong To Us.
    Considering the schitzo nature of this thread, I think it would be more accurate to spell it 'Insanity'.
    Last edited by Rob; 07/31/2001 at 03:53 PM.
    Originally posted by BobbyMike
    "(and normally those measurements can be repeated exactly)"

then dietrichbohn
    "Erp. How exactly does one repeat exactly a measurement of time?"

I'm not sure, click here for science type guys who know how. I'm a right brained artist type who can tell how hot molten glass is by the color, but I'm seemingly incapable of vocalizing scientific concepts.
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
    I am obviously the Goddess or the Jester. Whichever.
    no, I'm the Jester. or I was. (it's been 23 years.) I'd rather you were the goddess, as I don't look very good in the outfits.
    Excuse me, I have a pop tart to set on fire.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
  10.    #290  
    I'm not sure, click here for science type guys who know how. I'm a right brained artist type who can tell how hot molten glass is by the color, but I'm seemingly incapable of vocalizing scientific concepts.
    Damm subscription sites. Someone want to take the time and post the gist of the article for me?
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  11.    #291  
    They are all the same. We are all the Alpha and Omega. We are all love, and love is all you need. In the event of a water landing, your seat can become a flotation device. Of course, why can't the plane just become a boat? You could be the Eggmen. I'll be the Walrus. We'll all sing googoog'joob as we plummet to our deaths...
    I don't want to be your prophet anymore, ok?
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Sorry Josh.

July 31, 2001

A New Atomic Clock May Push Precision to the Next Level
    By KENNETH CHANG

The world's most precise timepieces are accurate to within a few millionths of a billionth of a second, losing or gaining a second every 20 million years or so. A new type of atomic clock has the potential to do far better, to be accurate to within a second every few billion years.

Scientists at the National Institute of Standards and Technology in Boulder, Colo., have built a clock tuned to a frequency where a single atom of mercury absorbs ultraviolet light. That advance could eventually enable scientific investigations into such quixotic questions as "Does the flow of time change over time?"

The mercury clock does not yet match the accuracy of the current atomic clocks, but the institute's researchers say that with additional work, it may prove 100 to 1,000 times as accurate.

"It certainly is a very big advance for atomic clocks," said Dr. Alan A. Madej, a research scientist in the frequency and time group at the National Research Council in Ottawa. "It's quite an achievement."

A paper describing the clock will appear in the journal Science.

Every clock consists of two fundamental parts: one that generates a stream of evenly timed ticks the swings of a pendulum in a grandfather clock, for instance and one that counts the ticks and converts them into seconds, minutes and hours. The faster the pendulum, the more accurate the clock.

In atomic clocks, oscillations of laser light serve as the pendulum swings. The current generation of atomic clocks uses lasers that emit microwaves, a lower frequency form of light, tuned to 9,192,631,770 oscillations a second, the precise frequency that microwaves are absorbed by atoms of cesium.

In principle, a clock tuned to the higher frequencies of optical lasers would be even more accurate. "It gives you more precision," said Dr. James C. Bergquist, one of the institute's clock makers. "You would like to divide up time into smaller and smaller increments."

But until now scientists lacked the requisite second part, a counter that could keep up with optical laser "ticks" rushing in at more than 400 trillion a second. "We want to count every one of them," said Dr. Scott A. Diddams, another scientist at the National Institute of Standards and Technology. "This has been the longstanding problem of trying to make an optical clock."

To solve the counting problem, institute scientists pulled off a neat trick. They used a pulsed optical laser, where each pulse consisted of exactly 532,361 oscillations. When they nudged the laser to a lower frequency, the duration of the pulses lengthened proportionally; higher frequencies produced quicker pulses.

While the scientists still could not keep track of individual light oscillations, they could easily count the pulses, each of which bundled together 532,361 oscillations. To tune the laser, a single mercury ion, an atom with one electron removed, was cooled to a few thousandths of a degree above absolute zero, minimizing error-creating heat vibrations. Mercury ions absorb a specific frequency of ultraviolet light.

The pace of ticks coming out of the mercury clock are about 20 times as steady as those coming out of current atomic clocks, the scientists said. That does not automatically mean that the new clock is a better timepiece. The scientists are building a second mercury clock and will perform experiments to determine how stray electric and magnetic fields and other environmental conditions alter the behavior of the mercury ion.

"All of those things could give a little shift that changes the frequency of the clock," Dr. Diddams said. "Those are things you have to quantify before you claim accuracy."

They will also explore whether other atoms like calcium may be more accurate than mercury.

A clock ready for official timekeeping is still years away, but its benefits could include better precision in global positioning satellite systems that aid navigation. It could also enable physicists to test whether some properties describing atomic forces, now believed to be constant, are slowly changing as the universe expands.

More precise clocks could also enable a closer probing of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which dictates that time flows more slowly under the pull of gravity. Current atomic clocks can already detect the speeding of time when they are lifted up about one yard, where gravity is just slightly weaker.

The new clocks may be able to detect the differences in the flow of time resulting from a half-inch change in altitude.
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
    Thanks for the article (BTW: NYT subscription is free & well worth it), I hadn't realized that we could measure the altered flow of time in so small a space...

...still, no repeatable measurements of time! (then again, can anything really be measured twice? Does anything maintain identity over time? Was it that chicken, or that egg?)
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    I don't want to be your prophet anymore, ok?
    hehehehe Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care?
    You could be the Eggmen. I'll be the Walrus.
    Okay, so I'm neither the Goddess nor the Jester. I am Toby's Religion's Eggman.
    Does anything maintain identity over time?

I maintain a secret identity over time.

Was it that chicken, or that egg?)
    maybe it's the mensachicken.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    "Thanks for the article (BTW: NYT subscription is free & well worth it), I hadn't realized that we could measure the altered flow of time in so small a space..."

You can suscribe to the Avantgo channel without registering. I think it's pretty stupid to make people register (and ask my age and sex and my email address), I just registered so that I could access the url to post a link here. Just another pathetic attempt to control information from flowing freely on the web...
    Okay, so I'm neither the Goddess nor the Jester. I am Toby's Religion's Eggman.
    Only if you want to be. Oh yeah, and my religion has cool games too. Like religious roulette: everybody stands in a circle and blasphemes and we see who gets struck by lightning first.
    "Okay, so I'm neither the Goddess nor the Jester. I am Toby's Religion's Eggman."

Aren't eggs sexless (without gender) until they become fertilized?

"hehehehe Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care?"

I don't know about that. All I know is that time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping into the future.
    Aren't eggs sexless (without gender) until they become fertilized?
    Eggs are, but these are Eggmen. They go to 11. Hear the sustain? Well, if it were on...
    I don't know about that. All I know is that time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping into the future.
    Yes, it does, and I do want to fly like an eagle to the sea.