View Poll Results: Do You Have A Home Network?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I certainly do!

30 81.08%
  • No, but I will install one soon or want one.

2 5.41%
  • No.

5 13.51%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Do you have a home network? What types of things do you do it for? If I had one, I'd probably use it for MP3 file sharing on all of our computers, and maybe getting a broadband connection. Also, I'd get a laptop for every room to have broadband sound and video throughout the house. Of course, this is all fantasy for me, I'm only 13. Oh well, I can dream.
    Once we got dsl we put one in. It has a Linksys 8 port router and my dad and I spent half a day running cat 5 cable. We have 4 machines around the house. My moms, my laptop, a family one mostly my brothers, and my test/win xp machine. The idea was to put all the music/mp3 on the Win XP one which has happened except my brothers is running Win 98 not se and won't talk to the others. Also with Napster dieing it hasn't really happened. We use the network mostly for internet and printer sharing. I almost always print to my mom's laser instead of one of the color printers in my room. Also on my laptop I have Adobe Acrobat so when we need to make a PDF we can do that from any machine since it acts as a network printer for PDFs.

--David
    You definitely want a network if you have broadband access and more than one machine.

We currently have three macs, a PC, and a Linux web server hooked up to our DSL line.

The server is great for getting files to and from work, as well as storing MP3s and such. We also host a few web sites from it.

The linux box also makes it easier to get files between the Macs and PCs without having to buy software for it.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    I got a home network too! I got a 10/100 switch( netgear FS105.. awesome little thing) connecting the old 200 mhz machine that has the cialup internet connection to the custum built 500 mhz machine in the basement. my 100ft of cable goes down the laundry shoot

Both comptuers have 10/100 netgear PCI cards.. (awesome things cheap.. and they work.. though not with linue easily )

My mom won't dare to plug her laptop into my network.. she thinks I'll put a virus on her mahine.. or steal her files. So it's just 2 comptuers.. plus a third I'm building.. I love it. I jsut (like 5 minutes ago) set up DHCP too!! YEAH!!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I have 802.11b wireless LAN at home. I put it in so that my wife and I do not have to fight over internet access. Also I used it with the Xircom Springport WLAN module with my VDx when I had it for evaluation. I used that setup mostly for web browsing but I realized I could do better with my laptop in my backyard. Anyway I have returned the module now and I'm not experiencing any withdrawal symptoms.

Wk
    I'm using a Linksys 4-port router to share a cable modem between my BeOS machine and my roommate's WinMe machine. We haven't tried file sharing yet. The router acts as a firewall as well.
    "Life is what you experience between racing games"
    Galley
    I do. I've got a 3com Phoneline Home Network set up. No wiring. Slow and unreliable. Anyway, my computers share internet connections, files, and cd burner.

Youn know what's weird? The net work doesn't work at night. The sun sets, and POW! it dies. It might have something to do with the super old wiring in our house. I dunno. Whatever.
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    I have a home network with three computers on it. We use a Linksys 4 port DSL router that connects one Mac and two PCs. Later this year I'm buying an Airport basestation so I can work from the living room.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
  9.    #9  
    Ooohhh, I'm out-numbered 8-1! And I have Dial-Up! I'm missing out on everything! Oh well, I'll live....probably...
    Originally posted by miradu2000
    I got a home network too! I got a 10/100 switch( netgear FS105.. awesome little thing) connecting the old 200 mhz machine that has the cialup internet connection to the custum built 500 mhz machine in the basement. my 100ft of cable goes down the laundry shoot

Both comptuers have 10/100 netgear PCI cards.. (awesome things cheap.. and they work.. though not with linue easily )

My mom won't dare to plug her laptop into my network.. she thinks I'll put a virus on her mahine.. or steal her files. So it's just 2 comptuers.. plus a third I'm building.. I love it. I jsut (like 5 minutes ago) set up DHCP too!! YEAH!!
    Just imagine how dangerous you would be with Broadband!
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    dangerous me? I AM NOT A SCRIPT KIDDIE!!

ahh. but the power you hold. .when you got multitudes of machines hooked uptogther, and VNC.. I'm oen of the sys admins for my highschool of 2500. (well I share that job with 4 others..).

I'm actually really good. I don't even put Distributed.Net on my schools comptuers! (I feel safe now I hear what Goergia's doing!)

but no. it's really fun, and FRUSTRATING playing with networks. The end rewards make things so much easier than sneakernetting files 2 large steep flights away.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    VNC is tons of fun, my Cisco class discovered the VNC password for all the machines and we fooled around with people computers. Thek ids who did it got caught and it was so funny because the principal came in and explained that the school has payed thousands of dollars for the VNC software and because they were misusing it they could be charged for the software and be kicked out of school.

I have a network at home, simple all LinkSys equipment with my computer, an old 133MHz computer, and a laptop in it.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    Yes, and it's used for basic file and printer sharing currently. If/when broadband becomes available in our area, it'll be used for the internet connection as well.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Five PCs linked in our house, but no central server. I was going to put in a server so we could all keep schedules straight with Outlook 2000, but so far, no one is interested in that, so there isn't any need for a server. Top Uses:

1)sharing a cable internet connection (this still does not prevent arguments between my 3 kids over who gets to log onto AOL first and for how long. Why is it that even with AOL.com and AIM, they still insist on using that lame AOL interface?
    2) Printer sharing. They each have inkjet printers, but when one runs out of ink, they print on someone elses. School reports mostly go to the Laser printer and photos to the HP 1215 photosmart.
    3) mp3 sharing, saving etc. They make CDs on my computer and download to their mp3 players from eachothers' PCs.
    4) Convenience of being able to log on whether in their own room, the kitchen or my "office" to check movie schedules, get e-mail, play Snood.
    -Michael-
    2-PCs on etherenet, 1-Mac on etherenet, and 1-new iBook on wireless. The whole thing is connected through a 800 Mhz K7 server running Linux on a 10/100 backbone switch. Both printers are on the Linux system along with 90 GB of storage. The Linux box also runs the firewall, proxy, and DHCP server. 6/1.5 Mbps DSl connection to the outside world.

Do lots of development on various systems, moving files, etc.

I have no idea how the thing got so big. Looking at the description it looks pretty silly. I think it grew spontaneously.
    I have a home network .. primarily used for shared internet connection with the occasional file sharing, printer sharing, mp3 sharing, video sharing, etc ..

joe
    I currently have 5 computers in my LAN and will be adding another once another roomate moves in. I use the LAN for sharing of my cable modem connection as well as sharing files between my laptop and desktop as well as share mp3s with my roomates. We have 3 shared printers and I have ports around my condo so that I can plug in my laptop in around the house. I hope to be able to switch to a fully wireless network within the year, but as of right now that is just a dream.
    Originally posted by Matthew Nichols
    ..the school has payed thousands of dollars for the VNC software and because they were misusing it they could be charged for the software and be kicked out of school.
    Stupid school, VNC is open source and free for the takeing. You school shouldn't have paid anything for it, and if they did they are just stupid.

As for my network, I have My computer, My dad's computer, an old PC 120 mhz in the closet that is used as a file server, my moms laptop, and my iPAQ.... Various makes of equiptment, dad has a kingston card the DSL company gave him, My computer and the file server have Linsys cards, my ipaq and my moms laptop have 20 dollar FMI (compusa brand) PC cards.
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist
    CollectiveArts TechMusings

"Everybody don't like something and we all don't like you." -- Richard Thompson, Hard Luck Stories
  19.    #19  
    Wow, networking certainly sounds fun and very useful. Too bad we would have tons of wire to run throughout the house, or have to spend lots of money on a wireless solution. If we ever get a Cable Modem ISP around here, we'd probably do it then.
    Originally posted by Celchu19
    Stupid school, VNC is open source and free for the takeing. You school shouldn't have paid anything for it, and if they did they are just stupid.
    Yup, me and my friends figure either the school's IT department is made up of con artists or its commong practice to simply shove mail in an envelope and send it to random addresses.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast