1.    #1  
    Just got my Cable Modem installed today. The only thing I want to know is, why didn't I do this sooner.

Man is it ever fast. I may never leave home again...
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    lucky
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Welcome to the world of broadband. We will never live where DSL/Cable/Satellite isn't available. It's too hard to go back to dialup!
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Did you go with @Home?
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Congratulations! I got my cable modem about two months ago. I can never go back! What kind of speeds do you get? The fastest I've downloaded (sustained--not burst) was 400KB/sec down and 120KB/sec up. I'm with Insight@Home.
    -Vincent
    Congrats on getting a Cable Modem. You'll never go back to dial up.

I've had internet access through my cable for two years and I know I will never go back. If I move I will make sure that town has a cable provider that offers internet access or I won't move there
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
  7.    #7  
    Our cable provider is Adelphia Power Link. So far, in playing with it today I have gotten around 200K sustained on Download. Not really sure about upload speeds.

Definately going to buy my own modem though, just to keep from paying an extra $10.00 a month.

The other cool thing was not having to use an Ethernet card. They gave me the modem and a LinkSys USB adaptor. So the modem plugs into the Adaptor using Ether and then plugs into my PC with USB. I can still install a HUB and network my home, but I could also plug in a laptop through USB and not need an Ethernet port.

Pretty sweet deal.

Anyone know any good sites for testing speeds? I would really like to know true throughput that I am getting.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Go to speedguide.net and check in the tools section for a test. Other than that, you can monitor your connection with Net Stat Live from AnalogX
    "Life is what you experience between racing games"
    Galley
    Definately going to buy my own modem though, just to keep from paying an extra $10.00 a month.
    I dunno. How much are Cable modems running? $200?

It may be me better to just pay the $10 a month. If it ever craps out on you, you can have them replace it for you.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    You can test the speed here as well.

http://www.computers4sure.com/speed.asp
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    One more speed test site: PCPitstop.com. They also have complete computer tests.
    I bought my RCA USB connectable cable modem for $130 off Ebay new. Works great.
    -Vincent
    Congrats. I first got broadband via cable in January. In March, my wife and I purchased a new house, and it took AT@T almost two months to get the service reconnected at the new location. It was like someone had cut off my oxygen. Going back to dial-up sucked, even though I have access through a T-1 line at home. Fortunately, I'm back up and running now.
    Here's another place to check your connection:
    http://webservices.cnet.com/bandwidth/
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
  15.    #15  
    Thanks for all the links to sites for speed testing. I just cannot get over how fast it is. I cannot believe I did not do this sooner.

Thanks again for all the links.

Yorick

That CNET test is always really badly off. They list me at 137kbps or 17KB/sec when I can download past 400.
    -Vincent
    I guess "your milage may vary" ... it's been accurate for my DSL in the past.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    That's probably the case.
    -Vincent