Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45
  1.    #1  
    I was just reading about this service tonight, and was curious if it is all that it claims to be...
    http://www.magicjack.com/4/index.asp

    Has anyone tried this out? or currently using it? It sounds almost too good to be true.

    I have no connection to this site / product, I am just curious about their service / product. Hoping someone out there has tried it, and can give me a revue.
  2. #2  
    it is a scam page... I'd use skype or get regular VOIP from vonage.

    I can't stand a site that attempts to confuse people with "free" when the service costs something... but they never tell you what the cost is.... and I guess they forget to tell you that their support reps are located in Antarctica.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  3. #3  
    I use the service at home. I paid about $40 for one year and another $10 for international calling (500 minutes). I also just paid another $60 for free calls for the next 5 years. It works good, I have rarely any problems except for having to reboot my mediacenter it runs on every few weeks. The Vonage service I used to have is better (it does not need a computer) but also costs more.
  4. #4  
    nope its not.. This is the real deal..
  5. #5  
    It's real. One of those news clips is from my local CBS station. Funny though... It only says "make free calls". No where, and I mean no where does it say you can receive calls on it.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

    "To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-


  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by tymerock View Post
    nope its not.. This is the real deal..
    It is "real."

    Real scammy.

    It costs something, but they don't tell you want it costs until sometime later.

    In a couple of years they will settle a lawsuit for deceptive advertising or something... I don't like sites like that... it is not really "free."
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    It is "real."

    Real scammy.

    It costs something, but they don't tell you want it costs until sometime later.
    In a couple of years they will settle a lawsuit for deceptive advertising or something... I don't like sites like that... it is not really "free."
    Did you even look at the website before coming to your conclusions? It says multiple times, in multiple places that it's $39 for the part, and includes the first year, and a $10 a year "licensing fee" after the first year. What they say is you'll never get a phone bill. Marketing phrasing, I'll grant you that. But unlimited long distance for $39 for a year?
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

    "To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-


  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor View Post
    Did you even look at the website before coming to your conclusions?
    No, I did not... I did not look all... can't you tell.

    Yea, of course I looked over the site, in detail. The prices are not "all over the place." You are kidding yourself in an attempt to make your argument look solid... lol...


    It says multiple times, in multiple places that it's $39 for the part, and includes the first year, and a $10 a year "licensing fee" after the first year. What they say is you'll never get a phone bill. Marketing phrasing, I'll grant you that. But unlimited long distance for $39 for a year?
    Hell, even YOU can't find anything on that site that is to be trusted....

    Now buried in the site it says:


    Each magicJack costs $39.95 plus shipping and handling. This gives you one year of calling to the USA and Canada.

    You can purchase an additional year's service for $19.95

    Not $10 like they had on the site when you checked.

    I don't like that... they keep changing things on the fly... buried costs... marketing that is suspect... changing costs... all = scam IMO... I don't like that... all I have to say about it.

    I'd say they will be like SunRocket when they go out of business....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  9. #9  
    I bought one from RadioShack.

    It works. Surprisingly well.

    Much better than a Skype connection.

    You're assigned an actual number -- and when you call out that caller-id appears on the receiving phone.

    Call quality is very decent -- and set up is easy.

    Haven't been using it for long, and haven't used it much -- so this is far from a comprehensive review, but for $40 (and $20/yr after the first year) it seems to be a very good deal.

    I got this primarily for use as a fax line -- something their FAQ recommends against. Despite this it has seemed to work so on the few faxes sent and received from here in the BARYE cave.

    Their TV spots are amateurish -- and their website is AWFUL (and very misleading -- in how it implies that there is technical support, or a live person to call or text with.)

    Despite the bad marketing, this is a good, very low risk product that anyone with good broadband ought to have.

    For those who are cell only and want a backup, or who maybe want a second landline -- its hard to argue against getting this majicjack.

    (buy from the store and NOT online in case your experience is not like mine)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  10. #10  
    good luck...

    I've heard more of this service over the months and I'm still not impressed..

    I talk to my partner in spain at least once a week with skype and the connection is great... I'm in the states.

    What are you basing this skype remark from? You are not getting good connections with skype? Seems odd???
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  11. #11  
    I've had a Majicjack since last May and love it. I bought a $5 phone at Walmart to travel with. I really don't use it here in the states because my cell has free long distance and I don't call Canada. My daughter took it to Israel this past summer for a month and it was great just calling a local St. Louis phone number and be able to reach her. She could just pick the phone up and call anywhere in Canada or the U.S. for free as well.

    I just took it to Italy with me, but unfortunately didn't have internet on anything but my Treo and couldn't use PdaNet because of incompatablility with the Vodaphone SIM I was using. I did have internet at our hotel in Venice for two nights and used the Majicjack for quite sometime one night to talk to the kids.

    I would not get one in order to replace my home phone, heck your cell could do that and it won't go down if you have an electric failure or the internet goes down, but it does work with a cordless phone.

    The one thing I really love about it is that they send you your voicemails in an email and you can just play it back on your computer even if you don't have the majicjack with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    in how it implies that there is technical support, or a live person to call or text with.)
    By the way, I have used the live chat for support twice and have had great results. I loved it. I do agree their website is not good which is why I did the live chat, but they answered all my questions and really were great. Also, I bought it off the website and got it within the week.
    Last edited by RickMG; 11/11/2008 at 11:43 PM.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    I talk to my partner in spain at least once a week with skype and the connection is great... I'm in the states.
    If you send your partner one, it wouldn't cost you anything else outside the $40 for the first year (all you want to talk), and then only $20 a year after that. Your friend in Spain would have a U.S. phone number (any area code they choose) and be able to call you anytime as you would them.

    Also, when you use it you can still be surfing the web on your computer. You wouldn't even know it's being used as it doesn't slow down anything.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    If you send your partner one, it wouldn't cost you anything else outside the $40 for the first year (all you want to talk), and then only $20 a year after that. Your friend in Spain would have a U.S. phone number (any area code they choose) and be able to call you anytime as you would them.

    Also, when you use it you can still be surfing the web on your computer. You wouldn't even know it's being used as it doesn't slow down anything.
    I can still cruise the internet while using skype.... he is playing his online video games while using skype, talking to me....

    and it is free....

    Although, I guess the local number would be useful, if we talked that much... he is not my boyfriend... we have never even thought about sleeping together... ROFL.... old military buddy...

    All good... maybe it is a good product, with poor marketing... I can respect that... I'm off of it right now.... they need another marketing department...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  14. #14  
    I didn't care if he was a boyfriend or not. One thing I forgot until you said the word cruise. I took it on our cruise in the eastern Carribean we took in May. Their website says that it doesn't work with satellite internet, but I found that it worked just as good as on my dsl. I used it on the wireless that I had in our cabin and believe me it came in handy.

    You say skype is free? I thought there was a charge on that for international calls?
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    I didn't care if he was a boyfriend or not. One thing I forgot until you said the word cruise. I took it on our cruise in the eastern Carribean we took in May. Their website says that it doesn't work with satellite internet, but I found that it worked just as good as on my dsl. I used it on the wireless that I had in our cabin and believe me it came in handy.

    You say skype is free? I thought there was a charge on that for international calls?
    I've used skype on my cell phone (via computer) for great calls... sat, not tried...

    Skype to skype is not charged...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  16. #16  
    in my experience you need a large pricey ($30-40) interface in order to use Skype with a normal telephone (I have one, but have maybe used it once).

    MajicJack easily connects to a normal phone (or fax) line -- the interface is not too much bigger than an old thumb drive, and could be carried in your shirt pocket with no extra power supply.

    You can choose from a decent selection of area codes.

    When you pick up the phone it has a normal dialtone. Not every call goes through on the first try -- but usually by the second.

    The PC software automatically transcribes every call made through the majicjack -- making it easy to track who you called etc.

    They appear to be aiming their marketing at the same late night tv watchers that buy cheapo gadgets -- not geeks like us.

    Maybe they're right -- maybe there aren't enough of us. Ironic that its a much better product than their marketing implies.
    Last edited by BARYE; 11/12/2008 at 04:22 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    good luck...

    I've heard more of this service over the months and I'm still not impressed..

    I talk to my partner in spain at least once a week with skype and the connection is great... I'm in the states.

    What are you basing this skype remark from? You are not getting good connections with skype? Seems odd???

    one more thing ...

    last I checked, in order to use Skype to call out to a landline, cell, or any non-computer phone, you needed to have Skype-out -- a paid service which I think costs somewhere around $36/year? (it says $3/month)

    So majicjack is cheaper, easier to configure, and more convenient.

    The more apropriate comparison is probably with Vonage.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  18. #18  
    +1 for MagicJack. Any phone any time, but someone in a previous post hit on a more important use, and that's faxing.
  19. #19  
    Yes, I have one, works great. I had Vonage before (actually about 5 years) and MagicJack works just as good. Greatest thing about MagicJack is it becomes a softphone on the road too. The USB device is half the size of a pack of cigs. You can make it work with BT headset (mine Jawbone). For $20 per year, great deal. Better than $300 year for Vonage.

    Quote Originally Posted by ILBandit View Post
    I was just reading about this service tonight, and was curious if it is all that it claims to be...
    http://www.magicjack.com/4/index.asp

    Has anyone tried this out? or currently using it? It sounds almost too good to be true.

    I have no connection to this site / product, I am just curious about their service / product. Hoping someone out there has tried it, and can give me a revue.
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    one more thing ...

    last I checked, in order to use Skype to call out to a landline, cell, or any non-computer phone, you needed to have Skype-out -- a paid service which I think costs somewhere around $36/year? (it says $3/month)

    So majicjack is cheaper, easier to configure, and more convenient.

    The more apropriate comparison is probably with Vonage.
    I use skype for calling overseas... I don't need domestic calling since I have a plan on my cell phone that covers me... I don't even have a land line... one number makes more sense to me....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions