Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey Everyone

I am tired of messing with the 15MB limit of @Home's webspace accounts. I often take digital pictures at parties and host them on my webpage. A good set (about 50) comes out to be 11MB or so. I am tired of having to create new accounts with different sites and then having the hassle of giving people a new weird address each time.

I have also always wanted my own web domain. I see service providers like Yahoo that have plans that give me my domain name but they don't mention any Internic (that's who still runs internet domains right?) fees, whereas some other hosting pages say you have to pay the $70 for the first two years right off. Can someone explain this to me?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on providers. I want to spend as little as possible--under $20/month preferably for now--with the option to upgrade later. I am really enticed by Yahoo's offer of $15 a month with only a $15 startup fee but I wonder what's up with the cost. 100MB - 200MB of storage is preferable. I really wouldn't need any huge amount of bandwidth. When I post an album what I get is normally under twenty people checking it out.

Thanks for your help
    -Vincent
    I'll make a shameless plug here and say that Peracto, VisorCentral's parent company, offers webhosting. You can register a website from www.dotster.com for $15 a year.

If you're interested, email anthony@peracto.com . Tell him I sent you
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    For a site I developed for a swim team I used apollohosting.com. I have about 250mb, unlimited e-mail, ftp, ssh, MySQL, and a lot more for about $20 a month. If you prepay for a year or two years the price goes down. It also gives you the option to upgrade your account so you have shopping carts and other stuff like that.

I also registered the domain with them and they will register it for free with a new hosting account. So far I have never experienced any downtime and I can access the server via a unique ip address only for my site. They also have 24 hour toll free tech support, I belive. Sometimes ftp is a little slow on my dsl but I am in Portland, OR and I think they are on the east coast.

Hope This Helps
    David
    I have my domain hosted at hostandsave.com, they have a plan that is only $1/month, ($12/year!), I have the $5/month plan which covers everything I need... Check them out!
    Originally posted by JHromadka
    I'll make a shameless plug here and say that Peracto, VisorCentral's parent company, offers webhosting. You can register a website from www.dotster.com for $15 a year.

If you're interested, email anthony@peracto.com . Tell him I sent you
    **** You! James! you beat me! no fair! I also reccomend Peracto... Hey your files could be ona a server within a mile of visorcentrals server! Heck. .they could even be right next to each other!!! isn't that somethign to brag about?
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  6.    #6  
    Pat

I checked out that provider. It seems like a really good deal. Free domain name registration. The $10 plan looks like it would work great for now--and then I could later upgrade to the $15 plan to double my storage. How can they register my domain name for free? Is there a catch--a banner or something? I want the webspace to be my own personal space that only displays stuff I tell it to.

Thanks for all the help guys!
    -Vincent
    Originally posted by Vinny
    It seems like a really good deal. Free domain name registration. The $10 plan looks like it would work great for now--and then I could later upgrade to the $15 plan to double my storage. How can they register my domain name for free? Is there a catch--a banner or something? I want the webspace to be my own personal space that only displays stuff I tell it to.
    No catches, no banner ads at all. However I don't know about the free registration, since I registered with NS, I couldn't take advantage of this offer. But they seem to be pretty legit, and offer a really cool back-end web-based admin system to allow you to create email accounts, and all that sort of stuff.

I have been with them for about 4 months, and no complaints as of yet. Great deal for $1/month I think!
    Know where I heard of them? This is the best part:

They hosted that 'free edge' offer site from a few months ago.. Should've definitely known better about that freebie! Oh well, at least I got something out of that deal!
  9.    #9  
    I read through the paperwork. It says the domain name is yours. I cannot understand how they can absorb the cost of registering it? I'm very tempted to get the $10/month plan. The domain name I want is available too. I would also get quite a few e-mail accounts. I'm very tempted indeed.
    -Vincent
    .com, .net and .org is cheap ahs hell to regester now. It only costs liek $10 period to regester. (no profit) It's easy to absorb in their costs than. Hosting small sites is really cheap, because they don't take much bandwitdh, and all you need to do is create a folder on a serverfor them. It actually has a chance to be profitable
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  11.    #11  
    Hmm. I suppose you have a point there miradu!
    -Vincent
    It seems like a really good deal. Free domain name registration.
    There's no such thing. That probably means that they own your domain name...you don't want that.

BE SURE to get your OWN domain name. Go through Dotster or Register.com. Whatever you do, do NOT go through Network Solutions. They will forever screw you over.

Providers I've used that are decent are:

hostway.com
    valueweb.com

however, I usually prefer finding a local, independant provider.

Finally, one option is to set up a web server at your house, and use dotster.com's DNS servers to point your domain at your server.

The only catch is that if you are on a Cable connection, your IP address may change every so often. Which means you will need to update your info at Dotster every month or so.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  13.    #13  
    The website FAQ says that you own the domain name and can leave them at any time without any problems. Do you think they might be lying?

Pat, if you do a whois on your domain is the admin reg to your name and address?

Thanks for the advise
    -Vincent
    Since I used network solutions, I own it. Just checked, it is in my name.

I would heed the advice of the others and register your name elsewhere. It worked fine for me, and there isn't a threat of losing ownership with HostAndSave.
  15.    #15  
    I'm still sort of tempted. I don't want to spend $70 to be honest.
    -Vincent
    My site is hosted with OLM.net. I get 300MB of space with all the goodies for only $9.95/month! You can use this special link to get it at this price. Normally it is twice that.
    "Life is what you experience between racing games"
    Galley
    I'm still sort of tempted. I don't want to spend $70 to be honest.
    Vinny...let me repeat this: DO NOT REGISTER YOUR DOMAIN AT NETWORK SOLUTIONS!

They are terrible, ruthless, and over-priced.

Go to register.com or a similiar registrar and get your domain for $15 a year.

The admin isn't necessarily the owner...it is often the ISP, although it can be you. Register.com has a very nice web interface so it is easy to change these things.
    -David Byrne
  18.    #18  
    I've made a note of it--I will not register with network solutions. I will check out register.com. You don't think I should to register with hostica.com if I get one of their plans?

Thanks for the hand-holding, I need it
    -Vincent
    You don't think I should to register with hostica.com if I get one of their plans?
    Unless you REALLY can't afford the $15 to register your domain yourself, I would probably discourage you from registering through an ISP or web host. Even with good intentions, they can accidently become the owner of your domain and that can become a huge hassle when you try and transfer your name to a new host.
    -David Byrne
  20.    #20  
    All righty. Where is this $15 registration thing? All I see is $35/year at register.com? Also, how do I let them know what hosting service I use so they can point the DNS to their IP?
    -Vincent
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast