1.    #1  
    Just something to think about, but everybody says "Happy 4th of July". The 4th of July is not a holiday, Independence Day is. The 4th is the day in which we gained our independence from Britan, therefore I think we should say "Happy Independence Day" instead of "4th of July". It just seems to me like "Independence DAy" gives more credit to the people who fought and died for our independence, and tells what the 4th of July is really about. Anyway, thats just my thought on the subject.
    Its just another name for it, like saying "Merry Chistmas" instead of "Merry day Jesus was born". I hear people often say both "4th of July" and "Independence Day", its also often reffered to as "America's Birthday".
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    Originally posted by joshmcgown
    Just something to think about, but everybody says "Happy 4th of July". The 4th of July is not a holiday, Independence Day is. The 4th is the day in which we gained our independence from Britan, therefore I think we should say "Happy Independence Day" instead of "4th of July". It just seems to me like "Independence DAy" gives more credit to the people who fought and died for our independence, and tells what the 4th of July is really about. Anyway, thats just my thought on the subject.
    You are correct however, "4th of July" is easier to say then Independence Day for many people and I think most of us Americans just take the path of least resistance.

The Canadians can correct me but I believe that July 1st is Canada Day and it's the day they celebrate Independence from Great Britain but it's called "Canada Day". Therefore, shouldn't we call the 4th of July, America Day since that is when America made the decision to seperate from Britain.

I agree that there should be a more concentrated effort on reminding all of us as to why we celebrate on the 4th of July but Happy Independence Day sounds like an oxymoron based upon the number of people who did pass as a result of the struggle that followed that Declartion. Happy 4th sounds better, doesn't it? only because it does not invoke as much negative thought.

Perhaps another reason for this anomoly is due to the fact that it is on a set date. Other government holidays or celebration days are variable and therefore are referred to as such: Labor Day, Memorial Day, President's Day and even Election Day. It would therefore be much harder to change the names of these other holdays. The only exception that I can think of is Veterans Day. It does fall on Nov. 11th but I've never heard of anyone referring to it as such.

As long as everyone knows why we celebrate it and since most new U.S. Citizens are swore in on this day.....it will always be remembered for the reasons you outlined.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Originally posted by joshmcgown:

Oh, what sad times are these when even the pedants don't get it technically correct. The 4th of July is when 'we' declared 'our' independence. October 19th, 1781 would probably be a better date to use for when 'we' won/gained 'our' independence.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    I think Americans in general don't necessarily equate holidays with their original purposes.

ie, the 4th of July is about fireworks and a day off.

thanksgiving is about football, lots of food, and a day off.

Memorial day is about boating, grilling out, and long weekend.

Christmas is about lots of shopping, egg nog, and a day off.

Here's my 4th of July thought:

About 6000 children get hurt each year due to fireworks. So many states have made them illegal.

Ok, fine. But how many children get hurt each year due to firearms?
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer:
    Here's my 4th of July thought:

About 6000 children get hurt each year due to fireworks. So many states have made them illegal.

Ok, fine. But how many children get hurt each year due to firearms?

How many children get hurt each year due to automobile accidents?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by homer
    I think Americans in general don't necessarily equate holidays with their original purposes.

ie, the 4th of July is about fireworks and a day off.
    The fireworks are a symbol of our ability to withstand attack when our independence is at stake. The irony, of course, is that we ooh and ahh them instead of, well, resolutely withstanding them (can you even do that outside a war?)

anyway, the fireworks at the Taste of Minnesota were almost as good as Tina's concert!
    And the rockets red glare,
    the bombs bursting in air,

gave proof thro' the night,
    that our flag was still there.

Francis Scott Key. I recall a history professor claiming this was why we have fireworks displays on the Fourth.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    How many children get hurt each year due to automobile accidents?
    Right. That's my point. Why did we arbitrarilly choose fireworks as being the big danger. Why not better firearms laws, better car safety standards, etc.?

anyway, the fireworks at the Taste of Minnesota were almost as good as Tina's concert!
    We had a good view of them up in Mounds Park. I'm just bummed that I missed the Go-gos on Tuesday!

I recall a history professor claiming this was why we have fireworks displays on the Fourth.
    I know WHY we have fireworks, but my point was that most americans don't necessarily make that association. We tend to treat holidays more as casual days off than as days to remember and/or honor our past.

Which is fine. I'm just saying that's one reason why we say happy 4th of July.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer:
    Why did we arbitrarilly choose fireworks as being the big danger. Why not better firearms laws, better car safety standards, etc.?

Because there are no real arguments on the necessity/usefulness of fireworks. Maybe if citizen-owned fireworks had played a bigger part in the War For Independence, they'd have their own amendment as well.