Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    [rantmode: on] Damn straight! Apple is the only manufacturer in the entire computer industry that succeeds in developing truly sexy hardware. Why can't PCs match Apple?
    OK...let me say that WHO FREAKING CARES WHAT THE COMPUTER LOOKS LIKE?!? It's job is to do WORK. My computer sits on a table just below my computer desk. It's a workhorse and it's job is to let me do my work (web design). I could care less if the case was lime green with purple polka dots as long as it is fast and doesn;t crap out on me.

Now, having said that, where can I buy a Cube at a reduced price? I need a Mac for testing purposes and since they will discontinuing them, the prices should drop quite a bit.

Originally posted by foo fighter
    Fair enough. But I do care what my PC looks like. That wasn't true 3 years ago, but it is now. I consider myself a technology evangelist, and I belong to the school of thought that personal computers should be fun as well as being a tool. Using a beige box won't make you any less productive, but the same is true of stylish systems. What's wrong with having your cake and eating it too?
    True...not that I would MIND getting a nice looking computer, BUT since it's primary purpose is WORK, then why spend the extra cash to make it look nice when I could spend that extra $100-$300 getting more RAM or a faster processor.
    Last edited by creole; 07/05/2001 at 04:15 PM.
    Originally posted by Matthew Nichols
    As a side note: I think Apple is going to do exceptionally well with making LCDs standard for all their computers, their screens are really sweet.
    Apple's LCDs are gorgeous! But they really shot themselves in the foot with their proprietary ADC connector.

I think Apple's greatest challenge will be in convincing consumers that Macs don't suck. Whenever I tell my friends that I am considering a Mac as my next purchase, they always say.."Have you lost your friggin mind? or "Why the hell would you want one of those pieces of crap?". Sad. Some people are just hopeless.
    A little footnote from me. I do care what my computer looks like. Also, the average user does too. When they walk into a Best Buy the first thing they notice is the looks of the CPU. I'm willing to spend extra money to get a nice case. When I build a PC I'll definitely get something nice like a stylish aluminum case or a colored plastic one (assuming it remains 90% functional). I stick my CPU next to my monitor. When I'm stuck in a dorm this thing will be pretty visible so I'd like it to be asthetically pleasing.
    -Vincent
    WHO FREAKING CARES WHAT THE COMPUTER LOOKS LIKE?!?
    I do.

You don't.

To each their own.

Some people drive rusty pickups because they are work-horses. Some people drive Audi TTs because they like the look.

Now, having said that, where can I buy a Cube at a reduced price? I need a Mac for testing purposes and since they will discontinuing them, the prices should drop quite a bit.
    They are dropping, but not a lot. In fact the used ones on ebay are really holding their value. I have a feeling these will be one of the Mac models coveted by collectors.

If you want a cheap mac for testing, get a used imac on ebay. You should be able to snag one for $600.
    Last edited by homer; 07/05/2001 at 04:56 PM.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    True...not that I would MIND getting a nice looking computer, BUT since it's primary purpose is WORK, then why spend the extra cash to make it look nice when I could spend that extra $100-$300 getting more RAM or a faster processor.
    Exactly. That's the point I was trying to make. People don't WANT to spend extra for design.

In fact, they really shouldn't have to. Good design should be a part of life. It isn't here in the US, but it is becoming more so as time goes by.

Apple's LCDs are gorgeous! But they really shot themselves in the foot with their proprietary ADC connector.
    Yes and no. The ADC connector is REALLY convenient, but only available on a Mac. They SHOULD license the technology for free.

I like how apple pushes technology design, but, like anyone, get frustrated when it only works on a Mac. A bit of a catch-22

I think Apple's greatest challenge will be in convincing consumers that Macs don't suck.
    Oh...I don't know. I think their biggest challenge is just to educate consumers. Smart consumers base their decisions on hard facts and careful comparisons of not only price, but support, quality of manufacturing, design, aesthetics, usability, total cost of ownership, etc. Most consumers do not. And, to be honest, I don't think Apple is after most consumers. I think they are happy appealing to a niche market. They are one of the biggest computer manufacturers, so they aren't necessarily small potatoes, either.

Regardless, I think the Apple stores are going to go a long way in wiping out the 'Macs suck' image.

When I build a PC I'll definitely get something nice like a stylish aluminum case or a colored plastic one
    Remember aesthtics are only one aspect of good design...and that is where apple REALLY excels. Macs are not only aesthtically designed well, but they are incredibly engineered well, with good, innovative, sturdy cases and innovations such as the ADC monitors, and fanless computers. Those, unfortunately, are less tangible to the 'best-buy' consumer.
    -David Byrne
    What I'd like to see again sometime, is the no-fan idea. It must be pretty quiet. Doesn't the video card need a fan?
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    What I'd like to see again sometime, is the no-fan idea. It must be pretty quiet. Doesn't the video card need a fan?
    The new iMacs and the Cubes are completely fanless...not fan needed on the video cards, either.

The G4's can go into deep sleep where the fans shut off, though you loose network connections when that happens.

The ONLY problem with the fanless machines is that it is sometimes hard to tell if your machine is starting up or not.
    -David Byrne
    Time to revive an old thread.

Is the total cost of ownership for Macs still significantly lower than that of PC's?
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    There were a handful of studies on that both by apple and by independent parties (and I think a school board did it once, too).

The conclusions, at least at that time, were that it is a lot cheaper to buy a bunch of Gateways than a bunch of Macs, but, overtime, the Macs pay for themselves in less upkeep and longer in-service time.

There were also studies showing that people were actually more productive on a Mac. I believe that in part. For particular tasks, the Mac OS's interface is quite a bit sleaker. However, Windows has come a long way, and there are times when I actually prefer to do some tasks on a PC nowadays.
    -David Byrne
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12