Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OMFG. What is wrong with these folks' heads?

"In the name of decency, we reserve capital punishment for the worst of crimes only."

They want decency for these soul less, mindless degenerates while the VERY LAST thing they have in mind for their poor victims is decency. How do you explain that? I sure as hell can't.

So they are going to make the taxpayers foot the bill to support this useless *******'s life in jail. I suppose. Or better yet, let him back out on the streets in what? maybe 5-7 yrs?

The sense of justice in this country is stunningly F#*ked up all around the table.

Amazing.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    You're entitled to your opinion. Mine is that capital punishment is always wrong.

Most civilised countries seem to agree with me. Only such wonderful places as China, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan keep killing people in the name of justice faster than the USA. Nice company you keep.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Seems kinda dumb to let a child molester back on the streets after he (or she) has offended three times. But it happens. Then again, you can kill someone and get less than 10 years.

Death penalty for child molesters? I say yes after the third time. I know, three times already... but I've seen some cases as in 18-year-old have sex with girlfriend of 16 and gets put on the molester list due to the law. I don't see how someone can have three "accidents" or "misunderstandings about the law."

There are very few things (let alone people) in this world I'd harm. I talk a hard game, but I'm a softy. I'll rescue a spider if it is in the house and put him out. A child molester I'd not lose any sleep being his or her executioner, if the gov't needed me to fill that role.

I'd rather have the death penalty than pay $20,000 to $30,000 per year to keep the guy/gal in food, clothes, and tv.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    You're entitled to your opinion. Mine is that capital punishment is always wrong.

Most civilised countries seem to agree with me. Only such wonderful places as China, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan keep killing people in the name of justice faster than the USA. Nice company you keep.
    Agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Agreed.
    Ditto.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post

Sanctimonious tripe.

Let me understand you now. So if one of these savages grabs a hold of your daughters, beats, tortures, rapes them both violently and then dismembers them on your front yard, you`d rather pay to keep them alive in "prison" so society may tend to their every need. Is that your stance? If so, then I think you have something basically wrong with YOU and those who agree with you, pal.

Nice company I keep? Dont look now, but many of those are RADICAL nations. They chop heads and limbs off on mere whims. Sophisticated individuals would know that there is a slight difference with capital punishment in those countries vs capital punishment in America. Foolish analogy, but nice try.

I guess I have to spell this out to you here. Apparently, you are not discriminating enough to see that Im saying theft, traffic tickets, and unpaid bills WOULDNT be met with death sentences. When an individual is a multiple offender when it comes to heinous crimes like murder, rape, torture or the like, it is entirely appropriate to use capital punishment. You think it is wiser to waste millions of precious taxpayer money on keeping these maniacally dangerous degenerates alive in prison? Seriously?

You mention "civilized" nations. As long as the inhabitants of that nation, themselves, behave for the most part, civilly, then we can be more civil in deciding forms of punishment. But when we have people who are the absolute antitheses of the word civil, I think we should deal with them accordingly. Im saying that we reserve our "civilized" rule of law here to those who manage to refrain from mass slaughters, multiple instances of violent rape (child or adult), torture and the like. Crimes which do not involve mass murder, willful horrific physical or emotional abuse involving molestation should be given standard legal representation and thoughtful consideration.

Those committing extreme offenses such as those described above should be dealt with swiftly in terms of capital punishment. Period. Dont waste money on them. Remove them from society. Might send a more effective message to those considering committing these types of crimes. There are much better ways to put our tax money to effective use!!

You`re telling me that it is a sign of a civilized nation to eliminate the death penalty? That is pure nonsense. With stricter laws enforced here, I tend to think we`d have more problems under control with less money being wasted on irretrievably corrupt or deranged individuals.

With the type of legal system you seem to advocate, are you familiar with the term "enablers"? Nice company YOU keep.
    Last edited by logmein; 06/25/2008 at 07:16 PM.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Agreed.
    Ridiculous. Im not sure which is worse. The murdering child ****** or those like you who think they should be kept alive in prison and allowed to go free after only a couple years on good behavior. They just go back to their predatory tendencies to kill others within the confines of our so-called "civilized" societies.

Wow, and you think GW is stupid? Pfft. Your apparent support of giving savage criminals like these second chances and the right to live makes GW look like a veritable Einstein.
    Last edited by logmein; 06/25/2008 at 07:32 PM.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Ditto.
    As stated before, ridiculous. Ditto on the term "enablers".
    Last edited by logmein; 06/25/2008 at 07:35 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Seems kinda dumb to let a child molester back on the streets after he (or she) has offended three times. But it happens. Then again, you can kill someone and get less than 10 years.

Death penalty for child molesters? I say yes after the third time. I know, three times already... but I've seen some cases as in 18-year-old have sex with girlfriend of 16 and gets put on the molester list due to the law. I don't see how someone can have three "accidents" or "misunderstandings about the law."

There are very few things (let alone people) in this world I'd harm. I talk a hard game, but I'm a softy. I'll rescue a spider if it is in the house and put him out. A child molester I'd not lose any sleep being his or her executioner, if the gov't needed me to fill that role.

I'd rather have the death penalty than pay $20,000 to $30,000 per year to keep the guy/gal in food, clothes, and tv.
    Agreed.
    The feel good society, where a segment of our society feels that anything goes to make the person happy. Moral, personal responsibility is a value of the past. Making this a religious stand? Not at all. Scum like this needs to be removed permanently from society. Congratulations to those counties that do just that.
  11.    #11  
    Bravo, bclinger.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    The feel good society, where a segment of our society feels that anything goes to make the person happy. Moral, personal responsibility is a value of the past. Making this a religious stand? Not at all. Scum like this needs to be removed permanently from society. Congratulations to those counties that do just that.
    Agreed.

I also say I find it odd that a person who does not believe in the death penalty will all of a sudden be screaming "someone should die" if one of their family members get harmed.

But I'm more than likely a hypocrite as well, because if one of my family members were to get harmed I'd not give the guy a pass if this was his first offense.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  13.    #13  
    That's what's so amusing with some folks. They will preach to others about how "uncivilized" it is to hand a remorseless murderer a well-deserved punishment of the harshest degree. Yet, if someone broke into THEIR house, pulled their girlfriend, wife or daughter out of their beds and began terrorizing them brutally, you can bet their behavior or attitudes at THAT moment would in no way resemble the haughty, self-righteous tones you see around here so often.
  14.    #14  
    Incidentally, Dathomas, even Obama disagrees with the decision if the supreme court. Fancy that. McCain condemned it as well.

Alito's response to this decision summed it up extremely well.
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    Let me understand you now. So if one of these savages grabs a hold of your daughters, beats, tortures, rapes them both violently and then dismembers them on your front yard, you`d rather pay to keep them alive in "prison" so society may tend to their every need. Is that your stance? If so, then I think you have something basically wrong with YOU and those who agree with you, pal.
    You seem rather...aggressive on this topic. Reasonable people can disagree (at least if they're not bullied into silence).

Ridiculous. Im not sure which is worse. The murdering child ****** or those like you who think they should be kept alive in prison and allowed to go free after only a couple years on good behavior. They just go back to their predatory tendencies to kill others within the confines of our so-called "civilized" societies.
    Hmm....maybe the fact that you equate people who disagree with you and child rapists is a bit....exaggerated. Not to mention abusive.

Nice company I keep? Dont look now, but many of those are RADICAL nations. They chop heads and limbs off on mere whims.
    I think you've just proven his point.

You`re telling me that it is a sign of a civilized nation to eliminate the death penalty? That is pure nonsense. With stricter laws enforced here, I tend to think we`d have more problems under control with less money being wasted on irretrievably corrupt or deranged individuals.
    Except that there is no relationship between the death penalty and reduced crime. It may make some folks feel better, but the data shows that it isn't a deterrent.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    You seem rather...aggressive on this topic. Reasonable people can disagree (at least if they're not bullied into silence).

Hmm....maybe the fact that you equate people who disagree with you and child rapists is a bit....exaggerated. Not to mention abusive.

I think you've just proven his point.

Except that there is no relationship between the death penalty and reduced crime. It may make some folks feel better, but the data shows that it isn't a deterrent.
    1) How quick you are to mischaracterize a situation. Its called conviction, not aggression. Please. They are just as likely to strong arm an opposing viewpoint as anyone else in this forum. Dont pull that on me. Reasonable people can disagree, but the problem is that their stance on this issue is anything but reasonable considering what children endure after being raped relentlessly by such cretins. it would just as easy to characterize THEM as bullies when they rail away at republican foreign policy or any other topic concerning GW in OT. I simply have a strong opinion towards this - as do a great majority I might add. It is an important issue. The bullying claim is baseless and has nothing to do with it.

2)Hmm, maybe if you simply think about what they are advocating here, you might come to realize the gravity of what is at stake. I think YOU are the one exaggerating here. What IS abusive is letting child rapists back out on the streets to molest MORE children. What IS abusive is allowing murderers out of prison after 5-10 years so that they may kill MORE innocent victims. You need to make the distinction between what is truly abusive to society and what you are simply trying to spin as such. Get a grip.
    Im curious. Would you be as quick to cry abuse when news report describing the rape and murder of a toddler by a repeat offender?

3) Absurd. Do we chop limbs off for stealing food? Do we execute people for minor crimes? Do we remove genitalia, tongues or fingers from philandering spouses? Bujin, your argument is stup... well, let`s just say very, very weak.

4) Well does the data show how successful keeping them alive in prison has been over the years? Does the data show how many times these repeat offenders get out and only kill more victims? Does the data show how many of these criminals actually rehabilitate and become useful members of society after raping multiple children? I think protecting these offenders from capital punishment may make SOME folks feel better, but the data shows that THAT certainly isnt a deterrent either. In fact its worse, because not only is it not a deterrent, but its also a larger drain on our tax money.
    Last edited by logmein; 06/25/2008 at 11:10 PM.
    On this issue, Obama has no choice but to condemn the decision. As some of us have mumbled before, this country is to the center right in most of its views and very, very few people would let something like this slip past them. If I were an Obama supporter and he supported this decision, I would without hesitation abandon him.

Incidentally, Dathomas, even Obama disagrees with the decision if the supreme court. Fancy that. McCain condemned it as well.

Alito's response to this decision summed it up extremely well.
    In this case, the death penalty just makes me feel GOOD!

Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    DA, very absurd. We even let them have sex in prison - that is surely the sign of civilization. Punishment? Nothing like those you compare this country to. And do not compare the US and its system of justice to Europe, especially when considering those wonderful people that killed millions of their own people.

The death penalty may not be a deterrent, but frankly, neither is prison. Let them out of prison to do it again? They are "reborn," cured? No. They need to be permanently removed.

3) Absurd. Do we chop limbs off for stealing food? Do we execute people for minor crimes? Do we remove genitalia, tongues or fingers from philandering spouses? Bujin, your argument is stup... well, let`s just say very, very weak.

4) Well does the data show how successful keeping them alive in prison has been over the years? Does the data show how many times these repeat offenders get out and only kill more victims? Does the data show how many of these criminals actually rehabilitate and become useful members of society after raping multiple children? I think protecting these offenders from capital punishment may make SOME folks feel better, but the data shows that THAT certainly isnt a deterrent either. In fact its worse, because not only is it not a deterrent, but its also a larger drain on our tax money.
    Last edited by bclinger; 06/25/2008 at 11:27 PM.
  20.    #20  
    Very true, Ben. I would think it would have been grossly irresponsible of Obama to back such a decision. People want a candidate that will support policies that ensure security from criminals/enemies - foreign and domestic - not those which would put the public at greater risk to them.

How good is a leader if he/she doesn't support or enforce proper laws protecting the group from those who would harm them?

I agree that he'd have lost a large number of supporters if he didn't oppose this move. There's no question.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast