Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 1043
  1. #141  
    Powerful? What did he say of substance? Nothing.

    Quote Originally Posted by pdxtreo View Post
    GObama! Wow, that was a powerful speech.
  2. #142  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Powerful? What did he say of substance? Nothing.
    That's what I was thinking. I mean...it was powerful in the way that Obama is always powerful...he gets people pumped up. However, as far as actual content in the speech, it was the same stuff he's been saying for the past year...except now he's bashing McCain instead of Hilary.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
  3. #143  
    I really enjoyed Bill's speech - it was good but you could hear the occasional desire to be his real self as he spoke. Get Obama away from his notes and prompter and we still get the same bumbling, unqualified person. Have you noticed when he bashes McCain, he opens himself up? The houses - his buddy Ayers, and other topics. Ayers has now become a legitimate issus - do you want a president who is friends of a person like him? There is no way he can bridge the gap at the rate he is going. Obama may not support the murders and violence of Ayers, but he sure does support his ethics and beliefs.
  4. #144  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxtreo View Post
    GObama! Wow, that was a powerful speech.
    I so want to feel the same.

    Instead I am enmeshed within an inescapable miasma of gloom -- I literally awaken with the same chilling vison I've had since last December ...that Obama could well lose to McCain.

    Dukakis and Kerry ran wretched campaigns -- but they ran in an environment that was at best neutral to their chances. Had they run agressive competent campaigns, had they not made a series of awful errors, they should have prevailed.

    Obama though, is running when politcal, economic, and world wide conditions have never ever been as favorable to a democrat.

    After his convention, after his VP selection, he ought be up by at least 15 - 20 points.

    Perhaps with a morbid sense of irony, Faux recruited Dukakis to be one of their on air convention commentators. (I came across him as I was idly flipping channels the other night.)

    Dukakis seemed articulate, competent -- he appeared to be a credible advocate for Obama.

    Until ...

    Hanity ask him to list Obama's accomplishments -- a simple question, one an advocate should always be prepared for.

    Dukakis hemmed and hawed, tried to talk about ethics reform legislation, how Obama worked with the poor instead of getting rich on Wall Street -- until Hanity smiled and said: "you got nuthin'"

    these last 8 years have been a bottomless pit of horror -- why have they not spent much more time these last 4 days reminding people of the damage junior, the GOP, and McCain's team has done to america ??

    Why oh why was Warner chosen as the keynote speaker -- have they never seen him speak before ???

    The Dems have a priceless primetime hour of network TV -- and what do they use it for ??? The agony of that awful Warner speech -- followed by another atrocity in the form of Biden -- honestly, I thought this stuff had already been banned by some Swiss treaty or something ...
    Last edited by BARYE; 08/29/2008 at 08:16 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  5. #145  
    So far Obama has had no boost on anything he has done. Your 15-20% expection just might not happen.

    The last 8 years a bottomless pit of horror? Wow, you really have the talk, but not that much to back it up.

    What I came away with was the sense of the rock star - what a decision to use a rock flop's set designer.
  6. #146  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxtreo View Post
    GObama! Wow, that was a powerful speech.
    I thought it was a great speech too.
    Even conservatives like Bill Kristol and Pat Buchanan gave the man props. In fact, Buchanan said it was the best and most important political convention speech he had ever heard. They heard specifics, I heard specifics. Itís obvious all you Dr. Jack Wheeler loving naysayers, really donít know jack.
    Iago

    "Good name in man and woman, dear my lord, Is the immediate jewel of their souls: Who steals my purse steals trash . . . But he that filches from me my good name Robs me of that which not enriches him
    And makes me poor indeed."


    Criminal: A person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation.
    - Howard Scott
  7. #147  
    Quote Originally Posted by Iago View Post
    I thought it was a great speech too.
    Even conservatives like Bill Kristol and Pat Buchanan gave the man props. In fact, Buchanan said it was the best and most important political convention speech he had ever heard. They heard specifics, I heard specifics. Itís obvious all you Dr. Jack Wheeler loving naysayers, really donít know jack.
    I misssed all the commentating. I have not watched much talking head in a while...

    I always like hearing what Buchanan says, though -- he and I agree far more than I'm sure either of us would like.

    We see especially in harmony when it comes to junior, iraq, and his foriegn policies, as well as his corruption of our constitution. A week or so ago, I started to write a potential thread about the war in Georgia, in which I was intending to quote Buchanan extensively.

    we seem to mostly agree up until the logical conclusion -- where somehow he comes out supporting McCain. Baffling that he can be as educated and intelligent as he is -- but not be brave enough to overcome his own ideological proclivities and biases.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  8. #148  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    I misssed all the commentating. I have not watched much talking head in a while...

    I always like hearing what Buchanan says, though -- he and I agree far more than I'm sure either of us would like.

    We see especially in harmony when it comes to junior, iraq, and his foriegn policies, as well as his corruption of our constitution. A week or so ago, I started to write a potential thread about the war in Georgia, in which I was intending to quote Buchanan extensively.

    we seem to mostly agree up until the logical conclusion -- where somehow he comes out supporting McCain. Baffling that he can be as educated and intelligent as he is -- but not be brave enough to overcome his own ideological proclivities and biases.
    You are so right about his own ideological proclivities and biases. But in spite of that Iíve always liked Buchanan and agreed with him on a lot of issues. He is certainly one of the more entertaining talking heads. I saw his sister on one of the news shows recently. She seems to have mellowed considerably. I remember her as being very strident, never giving an inch. She actually sounded very reasonable when talking about Obama.
    Iago

    "Good name in man and woman, dear my lord, Is the immediate jewel of their souls: Who steals my purse steals trash . . . But he that filches from me my good name Robs me of that which not enriches him
    And makes me poor indeed."


    Criminal: A person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation.
    - Howard Scott
  9. #149  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    I so want to feel the same.
    You won't because you are still feeling the pain of Hillary losing to Obama.
    Last edited by theog; 08/29/2008 at 08:09 AM.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  10. #150  
    Quote Originally Posted by Iago View Post
    I thought it was a great speech too.
    Even conservatives like Bill Kristol and Pat Buchanan gave the man props. In fact, Buchanan said it was the best and most important political convention speech he had ever heard. They heard specifics, I heard specifics. It’s obvious all you Dr. Jack Wheeler loving naysayers, really don’t know jack.
    It was a good speech....

    Unfortunately it all means nothing for me until the first debate.

    That is where obama will be put to the test. That is where the rubber hits the road. No VP can save obama in the debate.

    I was speaking with an ardent obama supporter last night and she had no idea that McCain is a good debater. McCain is good, very good.

    For the swing voters that each need to win this election, I believe the debates will be a great determination along with other "issues" that may crop up for either candidate (or their VP) between now and Nov.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  11. #151  
    Sarah Palin? An interesting choice for a VP likely to assume POTUS status. Talk about lack of experience.

    Personal message to McCain: Happy 72nd birthday!
  12. #152  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxtreo View Post
    Sarah Palin? An interesting choice for a VP likely to assume POTUS status. Talk about lack of experience.

    Personal message to McCain: Happy 72nd birthday!
    He is going after those hillary supporters.

    Either way, this election will mark a shift in politics in America.

    Either an AA will be P or a woman will be VP or a third party will win.

    I think both obama and mccain made some odd decisions.

    First, obama claims that mccain represents "Washington" but then he picks someone that has been in Washington and in politics for longer than mccain (I do believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong... I'm not looking it up).

    Second, McCain cites Obama's lack of experience, but then picks someone that is only two years removed from being a self-proclaimed "hokey mom." Not to mention she is 44.

    I'm not surprised though... given McCain's past, no wonder he would pick the person voted as the "hottest Governor in America!"
    Last edited by theog; 08/29/2008 at 12:37 PM.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  13. #153  
    This is too juicy to even comprehend. Truly amazing! I can't wait for faux news to spin this.

    Named by Alaska Magazine as "America's Hottest Governor," Palin's popularity ratings have been in the ozone. She has five children, named Bristol, Piper, Track, and Willow and a handsome fisherman hubby known as "First Dude." They named their new baby Trig Paxson Van Palin. Palin could win Marin County with that.

    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...dexn?blogid=14
  14. #154  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    First, obama claims that mccain represents "Washington" but then he picks someone that has been in Washington and in politics for longer than mccain (I do believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong... I'm not looking it up).

    Second, McCain cites Obama's lack of experience, but then picks someone that is only two years removed from being a self-proclaimed "hokey mom." Not to mention she is 44.

    I'm not surprised though... given McCain's past, no wonder he would pick the person voted as the "hottest Governor in America!"
    That's true Biden has been there a little longer. But there's another way to look at Obama's choice. Given Obama's policy initiatives he's going to need someone that really knows their way around Congress to push through those policies. Biden fits that bill. So the chances of Obama getting things done is much more likely.

    When I first heard of the GOP VP pick, the first thing that came to mind was Doug Flutie. What a hail mary! A Gov. that's under investigation.
    Iago

    "Good name in man and woman, dear my lord, Is the immediate jewel of their souls: Who steals my purse steals trash . . . But he that filches from me my good name Robs me of that which not enriches him
    And makes me poor indeed."


    Criminal: A person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation.
    - Howard Scott
  15. #155  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Have you noticed when he bashes McCain, he opens himself up?
    Sounds like politics to me... I have heard both parties do a fair amount of that crap. Of a matter of fact, 90% or so of all of the political television campaigns that I have seen from both parties involve bashing the other party.

    Frankly, all of the candidates are terrible. I see this election as being another waste.

    I would personally like to see a candidate that is not attached to a political party or organization, a large industry or heavily to a religion, or that has been floating around as a Representative or Senator for a few centuries. Of course, this eliminates about 100% of the current candidates.

    I am really disappointed where the world is heading. It seems like my generation is going to have a horrible mess to try to dig out of.

    Ok, that is the end of my dose of pessimism for the day.
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  16. #156  
    Quote Originally Posted by Iago View Post
    When I first heard of the GOP VP pick, the first thing that came to mind was Doug Flutie. What a hail mary! A Gov. that's under investigation.
    She is under investigation?

    I'll have to look that up... I've not read that in my quick search... interesting, if true...

    I know that Biden has pluses for obama, I was talking about the "messages" of each camp. Both VP picks seem to undermine major messages both mccain and obama sent out to their supporters. At least IMO...

    edit:

    Huh??? I now really question McCain's judgment (or lack thereof):

    Palin is currently under legislative investigation herself, accused of firing the state's public safety commissioner for not firing her former brother-in-law.

    "A legislative panel has launched a $100,000 investigation to determine if Palin dismissed Alaska's public safety commissioner because he would not fire the trooper, Mike Wooten," the AP wrote earlier this month. "Wooten went through a messy divorce from Palin's sister. Palin has denied the commissioner's dismissal had anything to do with her former brother-in-law. And she denied orchestrating the dozens of telephone calls made by her husband and members of her administration to Wooten's bosses. Palin said she welcomes the investigation: 'Hold me accountable.'"

    Although she's not linked to them, Sen. Ted Stevens and Rep. Don Young are facing legal/ethical troubles. In fact, Stevens' trial will start in late September, so the Alaska Republican Party is a mess. And Palin's trooper trouble could play into that.

    It will be interesting to see which story line catches on: "Palin, the reformer/maverick", or "Palin, under investigation?"

    http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archi...9/1304605.aspx

    Why would McCain pick someone so risky? That is odd....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  17. #157  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    She is under investigation?

    I know that Biden has pluses for obama, I was talking about the "messages" of each camp. Both VP picks seem to undermine major messages both mccain and obama sent out to their supporters. At least IMO...
    Yeah, you're right, like the previous poster said, that's politics. Another reason why americans hate washington.
    Iago

    "Good name in man and woman, dear my lord, Is the immediate jewel of their souls: Who steals my purse steals trash . . . But he that filches from me my good name Robs me of that which not enriches him
    And makes me poor indeed."


    Criminal: A person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation.
    - Howard Scott
  18. #158  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Sounds like politics to me... I have heard both parties do a fair amount of that crap. Of a matter of fact, 90% or so of all of the political television campaigns that I have seen from both parties involve bashing the other party.

    Frankly, all of the candidates are terrible. I see this election as being another waste.

    I would personally like to see a candidate that is not attached to a political party or organization, a large industry or heavily to a religion, or that has been floating around as a Representative or Senator for a few centuries. Of course, this eliminates about 100% of the current candidates.

    I am really disappointed where the world is heading. It seems like my generation is going to have a horrible mess to try to dig out of.

    Ok, that is the end of my dose of pessimism for the day.
    You are ONE OF THOSE people... Oh, goodness...

    There are some third party candidates you can pick... Have you taken a look at those individuals?
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  19. #159  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    You are ONE OF THOSE people... Oh, goodness...

    There are some third party candidates you can pick... Have you taken a look at those individuals?
    Yup. I am looking at them. That does not mean that I am completely forgetting about the Democratic or Republican parties.
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  20. #160  
    on the surface, Pallin seems a clever pick. Young, attractive, a bit of a reformer (especially compared to the in disrepute Alaskan GOP), not from Washington -- and a woman.

    It would appear that McCain had broken from expectations and chosen someone completely out of the precast mold of whom to have as VP.

    I think I would have had her among my potential McCain picks -- except that I alredy knew vaguely about this "scandal". It seemed when I first read about it months ago, to exclude her absolutely.

    Its the sort of scandal that is juicy in a National Enquirer kinda way. The kind that may make McCain's daliance with his mistress lobbyist "friend" have renewed resonance. The use of influence for personal ends and advantage. An abuse of power and authority for personal not governmental objectives.

    Trapped still within my secluded cave hideout -- I have not yet had a chance to see the intial talking head coverage -- nor can I access the intertube to research it for myself...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions