Page 27 of 53 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627282930313237 ... LastLast
    Jib Jab this:

Polls: Obama regains slight lead over McCain

The latest CBS News-New York Times national survey showed Obama leading McCain by a margin of 48 percent to 43 percent — a swing of seven percentage points in just a week. The poll also found Americans believed Obama was more likely than McCain to bring needed change to Washington by a 65-to-37 percentage-point margin.
    What is McCain doing?

The U.S. economic free fall was playing havoc with McCain's campaign, as he battled to distance himself from the unpopular Bush administration...
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26775636/
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Very enjoyable.
    Ann Coulter turns a phrase with the best of them. She's sarcastic, but her victims are deserving.

I part with her on the Obama lipstick pig thing, but on little else. She knows how to tell a joke, Obama doesn't, she should cut him some slack. But only for that.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.p...t=yes&id=28597
    Quote Originally Posted by WHarropson View Post
    Ann Coulter turns a phrase with the best of them. She's sarcastic, but her victims are deserving. ]
    She is a joke, but makes for good TV for sheeple.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Gosh -- I think we've all been too hard on Ms. PTA --

All this talk callin her a liar ??? Shear nonsense !!!

It turns out she did cancel that bridge to nowhere -- yup, she sure as shootin' is an enemy of them earmarks -- those critters got no chance should she and her shotgun get to DC -- no siree ...

Sarah Palin said yes, thanks, to a road to nowhere in Alaska
    While seeking votes, she told Ketchikan residents she backed the 'bridge to nowhere.' As governor, she spent the money elsewhere and moved ahead with a $26-million road to the nonexistent bridge.

Los Angeles Times By Erika Hayasaki
    September 19, 2008

GRAVINA ISLAND, ALASKA — The 3.2-mile-long partially paved "road to nowhere" meanders from a small international airport on Gravina Island, home to 50 people, ending in a cul-de-sac close to a beach.

Crews are working to finish it. But no one knows when anyone will need to drive it.

That's because the $26-million road was designed to connect to the $398-million Gravina Island Bridge, more infamously known as the "bridge to nowhere." Alaskan officials thought federal money would pay for the bridge...

Some residents of Ketchikan -- a city of 8,000 on a neighboring island where the bridge was to end -- see the road as a symbol of wasteful spending that Palin could have curtailed. Some of them even accuse her of deception.

"Surely we won't have to commute on the highway if there won't be a bridge," said Jill Jacob, who has been writing and calling the governor's office for the last two years to protest the road. "It's a dead-end highway, a dead-end road." ...

...in 2006, Palin stood before residents in this region during her gubernatorial campaign and expressed support for the bridge. It became apparent after she was elected that the state's portion would be too costly, and Palin ordered transportation officials to abandon the project.

She held on to the $223 million in federally earmarked funds for other uses, such as the Gravina road...

...said Ketchikan Mayor Bob Weinstein. "If Sarah Palin is not being truthful on an issue like the Gravina bridge project, what else is she not being truthful about?"

...construction of the road began in June 2007 because the state was still hoping to build a bridge
    , and "you need that highway access," said Roger Wetherell, a department spokesman.

But Weinstein, who backed the bridge project, said that Palin should have redirected the money. "If the bridge was canceled, give the money back, or get the earmark removed, or redesign the road so it's better for development," he said. "Especially if you're opposed to earmarks, and now you're telling the world you're opposed to earmarks."

His frustration came to a head after he heard Republican presidential nominee John McCain and Palin tout her reputation as a reformer focused on saving taxpayer money. He didn't feel much better when a campaign ad called them "the original mavericks," and said: "She stopped the 'bridge to nowhere.' "

Weinstein need only glance across the salmon-rich waters separating his city from Gravina Island to see what he believes are millions of dollars being spent unnecessarily. Why, he asks, didn't she stop that?

...Susan Walsh, a nurse who lives on Gravina Island, remembers attending that Chamber of Commerce meeting. When Palin withdrew her support for the bridge, Walsh figured the road project would have died with it. "It was just stupid," she said.

Jacob, the woman who has been protesting the road for two years with a letter-writing campaign on behalf of the Tongass Conservation Society in Ketchikan, says: "We begged her to stop."

An April 2007 letter to Palin read: "I am writing to encourage you to do away with the Gravina Access Highway. At about $8 million per mile of public money, this is a fiscal mistake."

...alternatives to the $398-million bridge could include improved ferry service or less costly bridges that would link to the Gravina road. "Gov. Palin understood that a more cost-efficient, sensible solution could still be implemented" in place of the original bridge plan, said Maria Comella, a spokeswoman for Palin's campaign.

...Mayor Weinstein flew over Gravina Island, looking down on the nearly completed road. "When Sarah Palin goes on national television and says: 'I told Congress, "Thanks but no thanks," ' it's not true," he said. "The implication is we didn't take the money. But we did."

The mayor said he was considering posting a sign on the road for the rest of the world to see. He said it would read: "Built Under Gov. Sarah Palin, Paid for With Federal Earmarks."
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Barye,
    Looks like you may really have something there. I mean since Biden and Obama both voted for it... that must mean she really is a baaaad person after all. My hopes are dashed.
    Barye,
    Looks like you may really have something there. I mean since Biden and Obama both voted for it... that must mean she really is a baaaad person after all. My hopes are dashed.
    I think it is more of the fact of how she handled it... obviously you either did not read the story or you are in denial.
    Barye,
    my gosh WHarropson -- do you know how earmarks are legislated ??

They are intentionally attached to much bigger, important, and complex bills. The evil doers deliberately engineer the earmark attachments so that it would almost impossible to vote against them.

Please explain to this naive little Corsican how that is in anyway comparable to Ms. PTA harvesting 30 million dollars of pork to build a road NO ONE wants -- in the middle of NO WHERE ????? A road whose ONLY rationale is as a conduit to that infamous bridge.

Yet they have the balls to proclaim that she is the ENEMY OF EARMARKS ????

From where I come, this is known as a bald faced LIE !!!!
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/19/2008 at 12:48 PM.
    You two really have me in a corner here. It's not enough for you that I agreed with you that she's a Baaad person?

I have to admit that this is a gotcha.

What makes you think Obama is better though. did he not vote for it?

I took a 0% interest loan for ten years funded by the Federal government to double a down payment on a house. I thought the policy was ludicrous because they would have done the same thing for somone making easily for times the income I make. I coould have bought the house without it, but took it anyway. To make a long story short, I probably would have voted against such a give away as a legislator, but given the current law I owed it to my family to take (legitimate) advantage as long as I could drive my semi truck through that loop.

Call me a hipocrite. But don't suggest that many governers would refuse money from the feds it was legal to do so.

She saw the light and didn't push the issue. Your gotcha's got a bite but you are going to a little need more I'm afraid.

Wayne
    ...Call me a hipocrite. ...

Wayne
    Nobility to BARYE means generosity. The compassion to grant wishes. To accommodate dreams.

Wayne -- you're a hypocrite (or hipocrite, if you prefer ...)

She saw the light and didn't push the issue. Your gotcha's got a bite but you are going to a little need more I'm afraid.
    It appears that you are missing the point, complexities of hidden pork aside. Palin's anti-earmark bridge to nowhere rejection is one of her MAIN talking points (over and over and over). The truth of the matter is in stark contrast to her claim. Hence, Palin looks like a big fat liar (bigger than most politicians due to the voraciousness of her current (dishonest) stance).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but neither Obama or Biden have once claimed to have been against that bridge. Their opposition to it certainly has never been a campaign topic. It is very strange that several conservative posters here continue with an attempt to hang this albatross on the democratic candidates.
    I read it all, I concede you have a point, I wish this had spell check, I knew I misspelled, just got lazy.

I gotta stop taking those Government handouts... it's making me lazy,

I don't blame any of you for taking your best shots where you can.

Did my analogy mean anything to you beside indite me for hypocrisy?

I admit on this regard I'm a "practical hypocrite". But don't elect me to a legislature or I'll vote against continuing giving home buyers taxpayers money to help them buy any home whether they can afford it on their own or not.

Government is a mess, I do hope the american people will elect the administration that is most likely to do the least harm in this regard, but your complaints about this governor, though valid, doesn't put the issue to rest. Your side also stands on pretty shaky ground.

Admit it.
    Did my analogy mean anything to you beside indite me for hypocrisy?
    'Indict'. And you should realize that on the internets, no one is obliged to acknowledge your point.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    So there is a built in spell checker after all!
    I read enough to know how poor my spelling is, In other words, I also knew that word was spelled wrong because it looked wrong, but didn't know how to correct it.
    Thanks Toby

Word spell check is like another gov't hand out, makes me lazy.

Here's a less than cheery assessment of what a mess things are:

Patrick Buchanan

http://www.humanevents.com/article.p...t=yes&id=28616
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    Nobility to BARYE means generosity. The compassion to grant wishes. To accommodate dreams.

Wayne -- you're a hypocrite (or hipocrite, if you prefer ...)
    Barye,

Your'e a good guy. So's George W. Bush

I liked the sound of compassionate conservatism when he coined it.

He wanted for people to enjoy home ownership... obviously to a fault.

You two have a lot in common in that regard and the kind of policies that compassion spawned, is why we're where we're at.

I won't be voting for you Barye (or Obama) for President, and it's not that your heart's not in the right place.

I'll be voting for McCain Palin, and it's not because I trust their judgement, it's that I trust the Obama Biden judgement less.

If the people weigh the evidence and the facts of the differences in the tickets, I'm confident Republicans will win.

But don't ask me to defend them as anything more than what they are...
    They are the better just like Bush was the better (than Gore and Kerry).

Now WAYNE thinks WAYNE's getting depressed BARYE.

They are the better just like Bush was the better (than Gore and Kerry).
    Stunning that you could say that after the last 8 years. Seriously...you don't feel the slightest bit of remorse for casting your vote for the worst President in our nation's history? (note: I didn't ask if he was the most likely to want to have a beer with or over to the ranch for a BBQ).
    Last edited by moderateinny; 09/19/2008 at 10:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Stunning that you could say that after the last 8 years. Seriously...you don't feel the slightest bit of remorse for casting your vote for the worst President in out nation's history? (note: I didn't ask if he was the most likely to want to have a beer with or over to the ranch for a BBQ).
    I love that guy as much now as I did then.

Given the choices during those elections he was the best choice, why would I feel any regret for making the best choice?

I agreed with his decisiveness acting on the the information he had regarding IRAQ. That made him a great president.

I utterly dismiss all allegations that he lied, as is so popular to declare. Misjudgements were honest, not diabolical as the left wants to portray.

He was weak in prosecuting the war because of gross miscalculations, and timing. This was a peacetime president thrust into war. I forgive him as all reasonable people do for the kind of mistakes that always occur in time of war.

History will be kinder to him than you. I regard history the better judge.

(I get the feeling you aren't going to understand).

Maybe Tony Blair can state the case better than I.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/in...ny-Blair-Pt.-2

It feels good to be in good company. Tony Blair is good company.

Wayne
    I love that guy as much now as I did then.

(I get the feeling you aren't going to understand).
    You're right. We'll leave it at that.
    I think I just found a new respect for Jon Stewart. He's actually capable of having a serious conversation and making good points. Then again, I'm probably just realizing that now because I never liked Jon Stewart...I've always been more of a Stephen Colbert guy (even though I suspect he's pretty much as much of a left wing nut as Stewart is).

Anyway, I also do not regret having Bush as the president. I feel kind of sorry for him because he had to be the scapegoat for a lot of stuff. I love how so many people do not understand a system of checks and balances, and automatically blame the president for every single thing they disagree with (not pointing at anybody in this thread...just a general statement).

I can understand the whole Iraq thing, but what really shocks me is that there are people out there who think that we should not have gone after the people responsible for events of September 11th, 2001 (I heard such an opinion with my own ears a week ago, on the anniversary of that date). To realize that people like this could very well cleverly word their opinion and end up in the White House one day, leaving us helpless if the situation were ever to repeat itself, scares me to death. Luckily, I don't believe Obama is one of those people, but who knows what could happen 10 years from now?
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w