Page 22 of 53 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    The worse thing about this entire program we are enduring is that the press is no longer doing their job. The "4th" branch of government has gone one way with no interest in telling the truth. Listen to the "real" news and you still hear the bias involved. At least with talk radio, you know what you get - opinion; with news, it is now the norm to get "facts" that really are nothing more than opinion.
    While I'm certain you're idea of "bias" and mine are quite different, I find myself agreeing with you (for once) Ben. The press is no longer doing their job. It hasn't for a very long time.

That said, how can a free press better serve our democracy? Ideally it should be unbiased, however, assuming there will always be bias in politics, should the press be skeptics? Should they investigate news and the truth, even if they get it wrong from time to time? Or should they be so careful in their reporting that they fail to take risk and report stories that should be reported?

Yes, our "free press" - that are owned by four very large corporations these days - certainly needs a makeover.
    Last edited by moderateinny; 09/12/2008 at 11:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WHarropson View Post
    If you don't have a response to anything but to say something is biased.. Why do you bother?

If you have something interesting to say, we want to hear it.
    Sure thing chief. Interesting like this for example:

That claim bores me.

If 51 percent can be persuaded of that lie then I suppose you win don't you.
    I don't disagree with the basis of your criticism, but unfortunately sometimes living life outside of TlC prevents lengthy and more substantive posts. My point was that it is not at all surprising that Malkin's lies serve to fuel Ben's constant prevarications against Obama.

Malkin is a hack and her reference to AIP as an independent organization is a stretch to say the least. AIP, the masterminds behind the swift boat ads, is breaking the law and Obama's legal counsel is absolutely doing the right thing in attempting squelch their lies. In fact, they have no other choice but to go on the offensive in combating McCain and Co.

Unpatriotic suppression of free speech? Hardly. Rovian politicking is the truly un-American force at work here.

Obama unpatriotic? Pathetic and shameful lies.
    Also, this Gershon video is spot on hilarious. Especially the last line.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxtreo View Post
    Also, this Gershon video is spot on hilarious. Especially the last line.
    Thanks Bro --

this one about McCain's roomates brought a tear to my eye though ...

Pt.1 http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/ebf425277b

Pt.2 http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/71d3e5458e
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    Thanks Bro --

this one about McCain's roomates brought a tear to my eye though ...

Pt.1 http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/ebf425277b

Pt.2 http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/71d3e5458e
    Ha, pretty funny! If you aren't a Colbert fan, you have to check out some of his "Make McCain Exciting" green screen challenge submissions.

Here:
    Colbert Nation
    The McCain video's are really funny. I'd forward them to all my friends if they didn't have the S word.

The Palin video actually has Palin uttering the S word. It renders it unfunny because it's slanderous. Like I mentioned before, the Palin comedian proved who she was without revealing anything about Palin herself.

The McCain ones are funny though.
    This was in todays Wall Street Journal:

Talks about his jailers at the Hanoi Hilton and how they hope he becomes the next president of the United States

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1221...gn2008_mostpop.

Maybe like old roomies, they have endearing memories.
    NY Times article, regarding Sarah Palin's executive experience:

Once Elected, Palin Hired Friends and Lashed Foes
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    A most interesting article. Shows she runs things, whether she is any different than others, probably not.
    She has more in common with Hilary than I might have liked.

She seems pretty confident of what to do with power now that she has it.
    Yes and frankly, I wonder if what she did is not normally done by executives. Reading the article makes one ask and then upon thought, hey, she is the boss and she has the prerogative to appoint, fire, decide, et cetera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    NY Times article, regarding Sarah Palin's executive experience:

Once Elected, Palin Hired Friends and Lashed Foes
    She sounds like **** Nixon --

had he been mayor of a town of 5000 before becoming President, that is...

When she becomes President I expect that the Secretary of The Treasury will be that guy who owns the Wasilla Mailboxes etc -- and that Eskimo guy who's a dead shot with the harpoon will be the Secretary of Defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    She sounds like **** Nixon --

had he been mayor of a town of 5000 before becoming President, that is...

When she becomes President I expect that the Secretary of The Treasury will be that guy who owns the Wasilla Mailboxes etc -- and that Eskimo guy who's a dead shot with the harpoon will be the Secretary of Defense.
    hahahaha Thats what they do.
    It seems like ''the first dude'' is always in the middle of things too. For someone who has a job, (hourly production employee?) he sure is in the states business alot. He must be Sarah's brain.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Yes and frankly, I wonder if what she did is not normally done by executives. Reading the article makes one ask and then upon thought, hey, she is the boss and she has the prerogative to appoint, fire, decide, et cetera.
    So she should hire someone who "loves cows" to be the director of agriculture, and someone who runs a "Mailbox Etc" to manage the economic development office? So she should have her husband call to try to have someone fired because this person was a childhood friend who made the mistake of dating another long-time friend?

I'm sorry, but executives do not have the ability to hire / fire at their whim (hence the rehiring of the librarian), and replace them with incapable cronies. And when they have the power to do so, that doesn't make it (a) ethical, or (b) an effective way of running anything.

Nor is hiding from accountability by only using private emails. That seems especially concerning.
    Last edited by Bujin; 09/14/2008 at 11:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iago View Post
    [...] It seems like ''the first dude'' is always in the middle of things too. For someone who has a job, (hourly production employee?) he sure is in the states business alot. He must be Sarah's brain.
    That's bordering on sexism. To me, their relationship seems very Clintonesque.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    This was in todays Wall Street Journal:

Talks about his jailers at the Hanoi Hilton and how they hope he becomes the next president of the United States

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1221...gn2008_mostpop.

Maybe like old roomies, they have endearing memories.
    Man, the WSJ is that far behind with 'news' these days?
    Last edited by Toby; 09/14/2008 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Fixed link
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    That's bordering on sexism. To me, their relationship seems very Clintonesque.
    Well, both Clinton & Reagan were widely criticized for the over-involvement of their spouses. so it would be sexist to ignore criticism based on gender.
    So she should hire someone who "loves cows" to be the director of agriculture, and someone who runs a "Mailbox Etc" to manage the economic development office? So she should have her husband call to try to have someone fired because this person was a childhood friend who made the mistake of dating another long-time friend?

I'm sorry, but executives do not have the ability to hire / fire at their whim (hence the rehiring of the librarian), and replace them with incapable cronies. And when they have the power to do so, that doesn't make it (a) ethical, or (b) an effective way of running anything.
    The Washington Post has more on the Mayoral experience of the most qualified human in america to be President:

As Mayor of Wasilla, Palin Cut Own Duties, Left Trail of Bad Blood
    By Alec MacGillis
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Sunday, September 14, 2008; A01

...Since joining the Republican ticket, Palin has faced questions about whether she is qualified to be vice president or, if necessary, president. In response, the first-term Alaska governor and Sen. John McCain point to the executive qualifications she acquired as Wasilla mayor, a six-year stint from 1996 to 2002 that represents the bulk of her political experience.
    Palin says her time as mayor taught her how to be a leader and grounded her in the real needs of voters...

...But a visit to this former mining supply post 40 miles north of Anchorage shows the extent to which Palin's mayoralty was also defined by what it did not include. The universe of the mayor of Wasilla is sharply circumscribed even by the standards of small towns, which limited Palin's exposure to issues such as health care, social services, the environment and education.

Firefighting and schools, two of the main elements of local governance, are handled by the Matanuska-Susitna Borough, the regional government for a huge swath of central Alaska. The state has jurisdiction over social services and environmental regulations such as stormwater management for building projects.

With so many government services in the state subsidized by oil revenue, and with no need to provide for local schools, Wasilla has also made do with a very low property tax rate -- cut altogether by Palin's successor -- sparing it from the tax battles that localities elsewhere must deal with. Instead, the city collects a 2 percent sales tax, the bulk of which is paid by people who live outside town and shop at its big-box stores...

...When Palin was mayor, the population was just 5,500.

Palin limited her duties further by hiring a deputy administrator to handle much of the town's day-to-day management. Her top achievement as mayor was the construction of an ice rink, a project that landed in the courts and cost the city more than expected.

Arriving in office, Palin herself played down the demands of the job in response to residents who worried that her move to oust veteran officials would leave the town in the lurch. "It's not rocket science," Palin said, according to the town newspaper, the Frontiersman. "It's $6 million and 53 employees."

...Many of those in town were astonished to learn that Palin had been named McCain's running mate six years after leaving City Hall.

"I was happy in a way, because it is a new beginning for the country, but also I am very worried due to her lack of experience," said Darlene Langill, a self-described arch-conservative who served on the City Council during Palin's first year in office.

Duane Dvorak, the city planner when Palin took office, said the mayor's ambition had been plain to see, but added: "My sense is that this opportunity maybe came along before she was ready for it or thought it would come along."...

...in her four years on the council, she picked up on sentiment that was building against the three-term incumbent, John Stein, who pushed for the 2 percent sales tax to pay for road, sewer and water upgrades. These investments laid the way for the city's growth, but they also unnerved some residents.

"People said, 'What are you doing to my city? I liked it better when we didn't have government,' '' said Richard Deuser, the city attorney at the time. "And Sarah really pandered to that resentment, that resistance to change. Sarah became their person."

Running against Stein, Palin called for an end to his "tax-and-spend mentality" -- and introduced Wasilla to the kind of socially conservative campaigning that was taking hold across the nation. A national antiabortion-rights group sent cards to voters praising Palin, and her brochures said she was "endorsed by the NRA." ...

...She fired the museum director and demanded that the other department heads submit resignation letters, saying she would decide whether to accept them based on their loyalty, according to news reports at the time. She clashed with Police Chief Irl Stambaugh over his push for moving bar closing time from 5 a.m. to 2 a.m. and for his opposition to state legislation to allow people to carry guns in banks and bars.

In notes that he took during a meeting in Palin's first week on the job, Stambaugh wrote that the new mayor told him "that the NRA didn't like me and that they wanted change," according to the Seattle Times, which reviewed the notes at a federal archive in Seattle. Stambaugh was fired on Jan. 30, 1997...

.,.Palin also differed with the librarian, Mary Ellen Emmons. The Frontiersman reported at the time that Palin asked Emmons three times in her first weeks in office whether she would agree to remove controversial books. The librarian said she would not. ...

...Although the town had a $4 million surplus, Palin cut the museum budget by $32,000, and the three older women who worked there quit instead of deciding which would have to go. But Palin dipped into the budget to create the deputy administrator slot, which some council members complained was at odds with her small-government stance...

..."Working in small towns, I had never seen someone come in and clean house like that in such a precipitous manner. It was pretty scary and emotional," said Dvorak, the city planner, who left after eight months. ...

...Palin's replacements included a public works director who lacked engineering experience but was married to a top aide to a former Republican governor, and she made a former state GOP lawyer city attorney...

..."Sarah always did and still does surround herself with people she gets along well with," she said. "They protect her, and that's what she needs. She has surrounded herself with people who would not allow others to disagree with Sarah. Either you were in favor of everything Sarah was doing or had a black mark by your name." ...

...The town's coffers swelled as more stores moved in, letting Palin reap the political benefits of Stein's sales tax and infrastructure upgrades...The budget expanded by nearly half during Palin's tenure as she increased spending on police and public works but kept a lid on city planning and the library ...

Further buttressing the budget were the earmarks Palin sought for the town after hiring a Washington lobbyist for $38,000 a year. The town secured $27 million in all, including $1.9 million for a transportation hub, $900,000 for sewer repairs and $15 million for a rail project.

Despite the city's flush accounts, the police department under the chief Palin hired to replace Stambaugh required women who said they had been raped to pay for examination kits themselves, a policy Palin now says she rejects. State legislation passed a year later required the town to pay for the kits...

...Some in town had for years pressed the city for a new space for the cramped library. Palin, who calls herself a "typical hockey mom," instead focused on building a sports complex with an NHL-size rink. In 2002, by a 20-vote margin, voters approved a $14.7 million bond to be financed by a half-cent sales tax hike.

Palin had forged ahead with the project despite a lingering legal dispute over whether the city had ownership of the land. A judge had initially ruled in the city's favor, but it later lost on appeal and had to pay $1.3 million more for the land.

"The only accomplishment of note was the building of the sports complex . . . and it was bungled," ...

...In September 2002, she presided over her last City Council meeting. The council took up an ordinance to ban sex shops. The police chief announced that Raymond Chiemlowski was promoted to sergeant. Keller "reported that traffic lights on Knik-Goosebay Road will be turned on soon and encouraged everyone to use caution while adjusting to the new traffic pattern."

And with that, at 9:48 p.m., Sarah Palin's final meeting as mayor of Wasilla was adjourned.
    If one does any looking at the writing of Alec MacGillis, you will notice it is exceedingly one-sided - it is opinion given as fact. If it were an article to be taken seriously, it would not be one-sided. Bayre, you can do much, much better than him.
    Well, both Clinton & Reagan were widely criticized for the over-involvement of their spouses. so it would be sexist to ignore criticism based on gender.
    Criticism on over-involvement of a spouse is well within reason. Don't recall Hillary or Nancy being classified as Bill or Ronnie's brain, though.