Page 18 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
    Well, I hope that either candidate elected takes a look at the earmarks that are attached to bills. Items like the "bridge to nowhere" and other pork doubtlessly adds up to a ton of cash.
    Last edited by Bujin; 09/07/2008 at 08:23 PM.
    Pork - pork - McCain has an excellent record there. Obama - just present.
    The governor has the right and responsibility to hire/fire when it comes to management staff - she did nothing wrong there. Management? more than a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    The department has its own processes to deal with such matters. The trooper's certainly did things that were inappropriate, and was disciplined by his superiors for it. The governor was told that it had been handled and that it wasn't within her authority to intervene. She continued to push the issue, which she wouldn't have done if it wasn't for the family connection. The fact is that there were very different opinions as to the extent of his actions, and she apparently pushed Monegan to act on the family's side of the story only. If you've ever managed staff, you would know that disciplinary actions can't be arbitrary or capricious, and have to be in line with prior discipline given for similar acts by others.

Did you actually read the article? There was nothing that alleged that Obama didn't know that Russia was near Alaska, but rather that the mere fact that they are close doesn't make her an expert in foreign policy; after all, she had no actual dealings with Russia. Nor did she ever issue a single command to the Alaska National Guard, which she stated was a large part of her responsibility as governor.

There are places for real issue debate in this election, but it would be much more productive, and you would have much more credibility, if you wouldn't focus on half-read accounts bashing Obama, and perhaps talking about how McCain-Palin would benefit us and provide change if they were elected. Just free advice, feel free to ignore it.
    It is my money, your money and the money of every citizen in this country. Taking away money from Iraq and seeing Iraq become a puppet of Iran is not something the citizens of this country want. Spending it on good things? pork, welfare, government subsidy, those are not good.

Quote Originally Posted by ****-richardson View Post
    I, as an American, can't be bothered with this level of information. It's enough you know that he's taking money away from bad things and spending it on good things. It's not like it's your money.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    The governor has the right and responsibility to hire/fire when it comes to management staff - she did nothing wrong there. Management? more than a few years.
    If she fired him for not firing her former brother-in-law, then she indeed did something wrong. Firings cannot be arbitrary and capricious: if my kids were in the school district in which I work, and I fired a teacher because I didn't like the grade he/she gave my kid. It would be seen as capricious, and an abuse of my authority.

I'm glad that you have made your conclusion, but the bipartisan commission hasn't done so yet.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    you're quite right about the laughable methodology by which the alchemists conduct their "scientific" polls.

I have previously written about my view that discussion of polls ought be banned during campaign season -- if only for reasons of journalistic ethics. (I have heard that in some countries discussion/publization of polls is outright illegal in the months near election day).

Polls are tools by which campaigns can gage the effectiveness of their communication/propaganda -- and of their opponents unfair attacks.

There is almost NO excuse -- NONE --- for journalists to make use of, talk about, or especially initiate the creation of polls. Almost nothing infuriates BARYE as much as this subject. If I on occasion have sometimes made reference to some poll result, its was only in cynical support of some pre-existing opinion of mine.

The ONLY polls worthy of discussion -- the only ones with any genuine reliability -- are exit polls made of actual voters as they leave their voting place on election day.

Those interviews can be strictly filtered to control for turnout and historic precint preference, and because people are unlikely to lie in this context, the results are VERY reliable.

(BTW -- The 2000 exit polls confirmed Gore winning Florida, and Kerry winning Ohio in 2004.)

My opinions are not the product of "polls" .

I wrote what I thought about the 4 acceptance speeches before hearing any talking heads or polls. (and in general I don't see much of them).

McCain takes 4-point lead over Obama in poll
    Sun Sep 7, 2008
    ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico (Reuters) - Republican John McCain heads into the final stretch of the U.S. presidential campaign with a 4-point lead over Democrat Barack Obama, a USA Today/Gallup poll released on Sunday showed.

The lead was McCain's biggest since January and a turnaround from a USA Today poll taken just before last week's Republican Party convention opened, when the veteran Arizona senator trailed Obama by 7 percentage points.

The new poll, taken Friday through Sunday, showed McCain leading Obama, a first-term senator from Illinois, by 50 percent to 46 percent among registered voters with less than two months before the November 4 election...

My fears and nightmares are being confirmed.

After a pathetic DNC convention, and a strong GOP one -- McCain has taken the lead.

Its not that McCain is an effective candidate. Or that Palin is that good.

Its that Obama and his campaign are rerunning Dukakis -- 4 days of speeches in which they were still trying to explain who Obama is and what he's done -- and almost no attacks on McCain

He chose Biden --who brought NOTHING.

NOTHING.

The GOP convention was a non-stop rip on Obama -- culminating in a lying speech by that PTA President -- but for which Obama response was: "I've been called worse things on the basketball court..."

He got away with that: "I'm above it all", "my opponent is a racist for questioning my qualifications" crap during the primaries -- and they still can't figure out that there's more at stake in this election than their precious "reputations"

(This gentle rant does not even begin to express the altitude of my anger --I just seethe here with quiet impotent fury as these amateurs somnambulate toward 4 more years of junior... )
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/08/2008 at 12:40 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...my-answer.html

Seems Obama knows he screwed up at Saddleback. He still didn't provide an answer for the question, but the article doesn't say that George asked him the question again, so he didn't have to answer. He's still saying he can't answer the question, but he clarified it a little more.

I guess we now know who the blind followers are. Isn't it great when you defend somebody, and that person later ends up saying they were probably wrong?
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...my-answer.html

Seems Obama knows he screwed up at Saddleback. He still didn't provide an answer for the question, but the article doesn't say that George asked him the question again, so he didn't have to answer. He's still saying he can't answer the question, but he clarified it a little more.

I guess we now know who the blind followers are. Isn't it great when you defend somebody, and that person later ends up saying they were probably wrong?
    saddleback is nuthin (said by someone who only saw snippets)

if it has any importance (aside from cynically shoring up McCain's evangelical cred) is it gave Obama yet a another chance to play easy going reasonable liberal -- as part of the democrats suicide plan

He could have given simple declarative answers -- instead he seemed to try to explain too much to a crowd that was n't about to be won over no matter what he said --- but it would have been heard by real undecideds.

Why didn't he accept the McCain town meeting proposal ??? I fear now its too late anyway.

When are democrats going to at least learn from the Clintons ???

You attack attack and attack your enemy -- you seize them by their windpipes and define them into the lying two bit turd whores they are ... lest they do that to you instead ....

(carry on ... )
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/08/2008 at 11:22 AM.
    Just a heads up for those of us who are curious how Obama stands up to tough questions.

He was on O'Reilly Factor first in a three part series, tonight and tomorrow. Obama has formitable pursuasion technique but still fails to pass the credibility test. Bill cornered him unmercifully about his prediction that the surge would fail. He squirmed, but still tried to defend his position.

If you are the anti war darling of the left, I guess it's natural that you will rage against it regardless of facts. Any success in Iraq is dangerous to democrats... I'm so sorry for them, I really am. Not.

Here's a movie trailer.
    http://www.hypemovie.com/?gclid=CJHC...FQKJxgodBzi-iQ

My avitar has been changed to reflect the mood caused by success in IRAQ.
    Bayre, it was not a non-stop rip on the messiah. What is: bringing to light the deficiencies of Obama's platform, not the man himself. Obama has strong points, but with his level of experience, bunches of us do not believe he is ready. Would you entrust him to run a major corporation with his experience? No, you would not.

Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    McCain takes 4-point lead over Obama in poll
    Sun Sep 7, 2008
    ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico (Reuters) - Republican John McCain heads into the final stretch of the U.S. presidential campaign with a 4-point lead over Democrat Barack Obama, a USA Today/Gallup poll released on Sunday showed.

The lead was McCain's biggest since January and a turnaround from a USA Today poll taken just before last week's Republican Party convention opened, when the veteran Arizona senator trailed Obama by 7 percentage points.

The new poll, taken Friday through Sunday, showed McCain leading Obama, a first-term senator from Illinois, by 50 percent to 46 percent among registered voters with less than two months before the November 4 election...

My fears and nightmares are being confirmed.

After a pathetic DNC convention, and a strong GOP one -- McCain has taken the lead.

Its not the McCain is an effective candidate. Or that Palin is that good.

Its that Obama and his campaign are rerunning Dukakis -- 4 days of speeches in which they were still trying to explain who Obama is and what he's done -- and almost no attacks on McCain

He chose Biden --who brought NOTHING.

NOTHING.

The GOP convention was a non-stop rip on Obama -- culminating in a lying speech by that PTA President -- but for which Obama response was: "I've been called worse things on the basketball court..."

He got away with that: "I'm above it all", "my opponent is a racist for questioning my qualifications" crap during the primaries -- and they still can't figure out that there's more at stake in this election than their precious "reputations"

(This gentle rant does not even begin to express the altitude of my anger --I just seethe here with quiet impotent fury as these amateurs somnambulate toward 4 more years of junior... )
    O'Reilly conducted a fair interview, what I would like to see though is more of a debate with someone capable in that area. Obama directly mentioned Sean Hannity and Hannity has invited Obama bunches of times, and of course, Obama declined. He did though send a support to Sean's show and the supporter did not support many of Obama's stances.

Great avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by WHarropson View Post
    Just a heads up for those of us who are curious how Obama stands up to tough questions.

He was on O'Reilly Factor first in a three part series, tonight and tomorrow. Obama has formitable pursuasion technique but still fails to pass the credibility test. Bill cornered him unmercifully about his prediction that the surge would fail. He squirmed, but still tried to defend his position.

If you are the anti war darling of the left, I guess it's natural that you will rage against it regardless of facts. Any success in Iraq is dangerous to democrats... I'm so sorry for them, I really am. Not.

Here's a movie trailer.
    http://www.hypemovie.com/?gclid=CJHC...FQKJxgodBzi-iQ

My avitar has been changed to reflect the mood caused by success in IRAQ.
    Bayre, it was not a non-stop rip on the messiah. What is: bringing to light the deficiencies of Obama's platform, not the man himself. Obama has strong points, but with his level of experience, bunches of us do not believe he is ready. Would you entrust him to run a major corporation with his experience? No, you would not.
    I have no complaint with the GOP attacks -- they are the ones I always expected, and they were done artfully (as always).

I particularly thought Ms PTA and Mayor 9/11 were effectively vicious.

You just have wonder about the losercrats -- have they never seen this thing before ?? Clearly Obama never has. There was no sustained attack on McCain.

There has been no real attack on Ms PTA -- and the press has backed off her (as I predicted would happen BEFORE her speech).

That evil genius Rove explained the theory of his craft very well (I paraphrase): The public already knows about your opponents weaknesses -- you attack their strengths, to defeat them"

You saw NONE NONE of that in Denver !!!!

McCain the ersatz maverick, ?? McCain the hypocrite, McCain the old wiseman, McCain the cross the aisle sweetheart, McCain the environmentalist, the moderate -- they should have SLAMMED him on those lies -- and pounded him (more) on his houses, giveaways to the rich, 5 million to be middle class, etc, etc.

(Does anyone know if chewing on carpet has any ill-effects on monkeys ??)
    Bayre, no matter how hard you slam McCain, Obama is even more vulnerable. Houses - if you feel that is an issue, fine - it really is not. McCain at least answered the question, Obama does not, he side steps them.

Talk about McCain's past - then you just open up the novel of Obama's past, his knocking on the door of the political machine in Chicago. Knocking on the door, walking right in and become part of it - that is not change. Knocking on the door of a murderer, terrorist - that is not change. Remember, he knocked on their door, they did not come looking for him. Keep complaining about McCain, but keep in the back of your mind, he did not murder anyone. He did not associate with terrorists and killers. He has not rewritten his history, has not denied it - Obama has.

Obama = communism, McCain = free market. Obama = government dependency, McCain = personal opportunity.
    Bayre, no matter how hard you slam McCain, Obama is even more vulnerable. Houses - if you feel that is an issue, fine - it really is not. McCain at least answered the question, Obama does not, he side steps them.

Talk about McCain's past - then you just open up the novel of Obama's past, his knocking on the door of the political machine in Chicago. Knocking on the door, walking right in and become part of it - that is not change. Knocking on the door of a murderer, terrorist - that is not change. Remember, he knocked on their door, they did not come looking for him. Keep complaining about McCain, but keep in the back of your mind, he did not murder anyone. He did not associate with terrorists and killers. He has not rewritten his history, has not denied it - Obama has.

Obama = communism, McCain = free market. Obama = government dependency, McCain = personal opportunity.
    Ben -- I'll let others refute the specifics of that crap about Obama -- its enough for me that its out there -- and that many have heard it, and some believe it.

I am nothing if not a cynical realist, who has seen this movie before.

Every four years dems will genuflect over some hero -- until they get confronted by the GOP maw -- they will whine about the DLC, biitch that the Clintons are corporate sellouts, and in general feel oh so good about themselves and the "future" for 6 mos -- until the REAL election comes along.

For them the election is about crowing platitudes -- for me its about having the power to transform things, to help in the real world, to actually improve our world in some way (even if incrementally).

no doubt my calm demeanor disguises the depth of my feelings -- but I'm actually a little unhappy right now ...
    Quote Originally Posted by ****-richardson View Post
    You're fighting popular opinion, which appears to be that Katrina was a warning and anyone still there is tempting the gods.
    I think you may be partially right, but I think the popular opinion that is being fought is that New Orleans is the only thing in Louisiana.
    The apparent ineptitude in funds dispersement has only exacerbated that attitude. New Orleans' impact on American culture over ~300 years is overlooked; rather it's seen as the embodiment of corruption and incompetence of the current administration. A lack of understand as to the purpose of the Federal Government doesn't help, either.
    The funny thing is that historically, there has never been a belief here that the Feds can do much of anything worthwhile. There is a lot of resentment building here because of the national lack of attention from anyone. If anyone nationally even _acknowledged_ that there was something going on, they'd probably win some points here. Just this morning, the only thing mentioned in the news about Ike was that New Orleans could be in the crosshairs. Let's ignore the fact that the models don't have it going anywhere near there.
    Now, if the Patriots played there you'd have all the funding you could want. Your Saints are going to have be more convincing than their win today...something more akin to Philly's decisive victory.
    If the Patriots played in NOLA, they'd wind up in the same boat eventually. Look at the Hornets.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quoting Barye:
    For them the election is about crowing platitudes -- for me its about having the power to transform things, to help in the real world, to actually improve our world in some way (even if incrementally).

no doubt my calm demeanor disguises the depth of my feelings -- but I'm actually a little unhappy right now ...[/QUOTE]

Barye,

I'm curious just what you mean when you say transform things in the real world.

What do you think of the things George W did in Africa regarding Aids? Was that nothing? It's mor than dems have done.

I'm suggesting that you would be happier as a Republican. We are a happier lot you know.
    Wayne
    Last edited by WHarropson; 09/08/2008 at 02:17 PM.
    What do you think of the things George W did in Africa regarding Aids? Was that nothing? It's mor than dems have done.
    What GWB did in Africa is so over-shadowed by what he's done at home and in the Middle East that it is useless in terms of credit and WJC as a civilian has done far more.

I'm suggesting that you would be happier as a Republican. We are a happier lot you know.
    No comment...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    I can't defend all the results of Bushes presidency only to say that Clinton presided over a much simpler period of time. Can you at least agree with that?

I need not repeat for you the list of issues Bush has had to deal with that was extrordinary.

To think things would have been better under Gore or Kerry is fine for you to imagine, as for me Bush not only won both elections, but his opponents proved him to be the best candidate.

So what can you do? It's history.

Also, don't be so certain that the result in the middle east is a negative.

I know you don't like it but, it just might have been the best thing to do. History will play it out and I only hope Dems dont reverse all the progress made. You have to admit.. they threaten to.. don't they?
    I only hope Dems dont reverse all the progress made. You have to admit.. they threaten to.. don't they?
    Define 'progress'... From what I've seen the Dems are promising to make progress that has been lacking for eight years.

I only know of backsliding, not progress, during Bush's reign...

And to think that times were simpler when Clinton was in office is silly. There was just as much strife in the world at that time. The only 'extraordinary event' that Bush has had to deal with that wasn't paralleled in Clinton's presidency is the destruction of 9/11 and similar events did occur during WJC's presidency but they weren't as large-scale including the first WTC bombing.

Lastly, when I referred to WJC I was not referring to his presidency but to his post-presidency.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    You said:
    Define 'progress'... From what I've seen the Dems are promising to make progress that has been lacking for eight years.

My point is simply that Dems, if elected, threaten the progress in IRAQ.

I wouldn't take that risk, I hope you won't either. Think about it.