Page 15 of 53 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
    Anyone notice how often Obama H. mentions God and faith in his speeches, yet his policies totally ignore God and his faith. An amazing thing.

Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    oh here goes the left again with its paralyzing fear of the word "god".

"God" forbid a candidate believes in anything, right?

I suppose a better leader is one who has no faith in anyone or anything, right?

lovely way of choosing one's leadership - requirements? Must not have faith. Yeah. That's great.
    You state you fear Palin, but the answer given? Do you fear Obama? He has 0 experience with anything military (Palin not too far behing) and has he ever hunted? Fired a weapon? What has Palin done to make you afraid of her? Make a list on each and tell us the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Hmm...did I ever say I was voting for Obama? I've only reported the facts of folks' statements, and stated that Palin scared me. I like following the political process, but I don't actually have a horse in this race yet.

(For the record, I was a Reagan Republican, am now registered as Independent, and have never voted Democratic....which is not to say I'm necessarily averse to it)

I think you're proving a central theme of my view of national politics - if someone dares to question any aspect of a political party, they're immediately attacked as an agent of "the other side". I believe it's important to question all aspects of the party line....however, you only seem to be currently questioning the side that you're trying to build arguments against.
    The Republicans wanting to force their faith on others? Really? I believe it is the other way around. Those of us who are religious cannot express ourselves in many situations without fear of punishment. It is the left side of the room with a lot of support from the ACLU that is working hard at barring free speech in America.

Well, yes, religious views shouldn't be forced upon others. That is wrong. I don't have a problem with someone evoking their god among a smaller group of people of known similar leanings when hoping for a positive outcome during a crisis or problem as long as that is kept in check when addressing a larger, more diverse group who might not all share those leanings. A bit wordy there, but you get what I mean.
    Anyone expecting the government to get us out of the mess we are in has no understanding of history. Raising taxes is not the answer. Reducing government interference has worked every time.

Yes, but when you live in states like connecticut, new jersey or new york where property taxes are absolutely outrageous AS IT IS, you can't fathom the possibility of even higher income taxes, payroll taxes and the rest on top of it. Christ. Its just thievery when you see how poorly the money is being handled. One might say the tendency to tax and spend as heavily as NJ does is equally unwise as the reagonomics trickle down philosophy.
    . The state is bankrupt despite holding the lead in median property tax rates!!! Absurd.

So as I see it, there is no reason to believe that increasing taxes is the solution to our problems. We need the govt to be wiser in HOW they are spending the taxes we are paying right now!!

Seriously, just look at nj. scandalous, corrupt, riddled with embezzlement and disarray. Giving them more money is not the solution. Getting rid of the corruption and lack of disciplined spending IS.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    She was a former local news reader. No one doubted she could read a teleprompter. Now, think of that a half heart beat away from the presidency.
    think of Obama actually being president is even more scary.

Are these two candidates really the best our country has to offer? I will probably vote for McCain, but I'm not thrilled about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    You state you fear Palin, but the answer given? Do you fear Obama? He has 0 experience with anything military (Palin not too far behing) and has he ever hunted? Fired a weapon? What has Palin done to make you afraid of her? Make a list on each and tell us the results.
    I thought I was pretty clear as to the reason... I am afraid of her stance toward incorporating conservative christian ideology into the decisions of our government (particularly as it relates to teaching Intelligent Design in schools and her position on outlawing all abortions).

Also, I'm not sure that hunting and firing weapons has any bearing at all on ability to be president.....

I'm not advocating that you change your mind - simply stating my opinion. No rebuttal is necessary, as you will certainly not make me fear her positions less.

Anyone notice how often Obama H. mentions God and faith in his speeches, yet his policies totally ignore God and his faith. An amazing thing.
    The whole separation of church and state is a good thing.

The UN handle it? The UN cannot even handle a food crisis, what makes one think it can handle this. Last week had even more on another "crisis" the UN was handling - what a waste of an organization.
    Umm....you did read the post in which it clearly outlined the fact that BOTH candidates advocated involving the UN, right?

Yes, but when you live in states like connecticut, new jersey or new york where property taxes are absolutely outrageous AS IT IS, you can't fathom the possibility of even higher income taxes, payroll taxes and the rest on top of it. Christ. Its just thievery when you see how poorly the money is being handled. One might say the tendency to tax and spend as heavily as NJ does is equally unwise as the reagonomics trickle down philosophy.
    I live in CT, actually. I agree totally that taxes are very high, and I agree with much of what you're saying. I also don't want to see higher taxes, either. However, I don't make over $250K per year, which is who would seemly be impacted by Obama's proposals.

Reducing the size of government, as others have posted, is indeed the answer...however, neither side has done one thing to accomplish this. While the perception has been that Republicans are for "smaller government", it certainly didn't shrink when they were in control of both the presidency and Congress over the past 6 years (remember, the Dems only took control of Congress in Jan 2007.

So, I'm not advocating support of either candidate on the basis of taxes / size of government.
    Last edited by Bujin; 09/04/2008 at 08:42 AM.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    I can't get that crazy women out of my head this morning. The night was filled with nightmares about a pit bull tearing at my jugular.:sad:
    You fear what I do not - there has been no push on her part to make it a mandatory thing, where people on the left side of the spectrum make it a mandatory thing not to teach it - so really, which is worse? Are we afraid of knowing the entire picture? Are you afraid of knowing the entire picture? I hope not and if you are not, then why, oh why would you prevent me from knowing? If you are afraid of me knowing, then oh yes we see why you want to cram it down the throats of those who do not agree with you. So you see, it is more on the "liberal side" to restrict knowledge than to expand it.

Also, there is more to support a supreme being - God, than to not support one. So why not teach both sides of the issue. It makes a person more comfortable and more open and that is what education is about, is it not?

As for the gun thing - not a big difference at all. Just shows that she does not fit the "frail" side of our women that the left throws up with statements like, "baby in arm...breast feeding...Putin" crap that we see floating around.

I read it and I do not support McCain's line of issues; though I do agree with the major issues. As for church/state separation, it is all ready there. We have a secular government in what is largely a religious country and that cannot be denied when the eyes are open.

I thought I was pretty clear as to the reason... I am afraid of her stance toward incorporating conservative christian ideology into the decisions of our government (particularly as it relates to teaching Intelligent Design in schools and her position on outlawing all abortions).

Also, I'm not sure that hunting and firing weapons has any bearing at all on ability to be president.....

I'm not advocating that you change your mind - simply stating my opinion. No rebuttal is necessary, as you will certainly not make me fear her positions less.

The whole separation of church and state is a good thing.

Umm....you did read the post in which it clearly outlined the fact that BOTH candidates advocated involving the UN, right?

I live in CT, actually. I agree totally that taxes are very high, and I agree with much of what you're saying. I also don't want to see higher taxes, either. However, I don't make over $250K per year, which is who would seemly be impacted by Obama's proposals.

Reducing the size of government, as others have posted, is indeed the answer...however, neither side has done one thing to accomplish this. While the perception has been that Republicans are for "smaller government", it certainly didn't shrink when they were in control of both the presidency and Congress over the past 6 years (remember, the Dems only took control of Congress in Jan 2007.

So, I'm not advocating support of either candidate on the basis of taxes / size of government.
    We realize your statement of hysteria is exceedingly exaggerated.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxtreo View Post
    I can't get that crazy women out of my head this morning. The night was filled with nightmares about a pit bull tearing at my jugular.:sad:
    We realize your statement of hysteria is exceedingly exaggerated.
    Rise and shine. I appreciate the benefit of doubt, but my feelings were only somewhat exaggerated. SP (her views) really does alarm me.
    You fear what I do not - there has been no push on her part to make it a mandatory thing, where people on the left side of the spectrum make it a mandatory thing not to teach it - so really, which is worse? Are we afraid of knowing the entire picture? Are you afraid of knowing the entire picture? I hope not and if you are not, then why, oh why would you prevent me from knowing? If you are afraid of me knowing, then oh yes we see why you want to cram it down the throats of those who do not agree with you. So you see, it is more on the "liberal side" to restrict knowledge than to expand it.
    I don't care a bit if you know anything you'd like about God or religion; that's what places of worship are for. It is absolutely not the function of public education.

Also, there is more to support a supreme being - God, than to not support one. So why not teach both sides of the issue. It makes a person more comfortable and more open and that is what education is about, is it not?
    You may believe that there is more to support a supreme being, but there is simply no science to support intelligent design. From an instructional perspective (as a former science teacher), there are no two sides of this issue.

And if suggestible children are taught I.D. as if it's a valid alternative theory, it is (a) poor science, and (b) indoctrinating children into religious beliefs, in direct violation of the separation of church and state. (If we're going to blur that line, then, as a Pastafarian, I would demand that the beliefs of my Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster also be taught as an alternative theory.)

Let me be clear, I do not care if you believe in creation vs. evolution. I do not care if you teach your children this. I am not trying to prevent you from knowing anything. I do care if it's forced upon my kids, because they should have the freedom from religious indoctrination.
    Last edited by Bujin; 09/04/2008 at 01:33 PM.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    ^ Amen!
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxtreo View Post
    Rise and shine. I appreciate the benefit of doubt, but my feelings were only somewhat exaggerated. SP (her views) really does alarm me.
    So does the thought of Mike Huckabee require you to put on a clean pair of pants?
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    How so?

And if suggestible children are taught I.D. as if it's a valid alternative theory, it is (a) poor science, and (b) indoctrinating children into religious beliefs, in direct violation of the separation of church and state. (If we're going to blur that line, then, as a Pastafarian, I would demand that the beliefs of my Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster also be taught as an alternative theory.)

Let me be clear, I do not care if you believe in creation vs. evolution. I do not care if you teach your children this. I am not trying to prevent you from knowing anything. I do care if it's forced upon my kids, because they should have the freedom from religious indoctrination.

HEAR HEAR!!

Anyone expecting the government to get us out of the mess we are in has no understanding of history. Raising taxes is not the answer. Reducing government interference has worked every time.
    I believe the majority of experts agree that a lack of gov't oversight allowed the mortgage crisis to happen and the coming credit card company crisis.
    I believe the majority of experts agree that a lack of gov't oversight allowed the mortgage crisis to happen and the coming credit card company crisis.
    I believe that your belief is right....

Man in paradise can't seem to win... The Republicans are in a tailspin right now... lol

But why is obama up by such small % points....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

More along the lines of greedy banks giving out million dollar mortgages to people that make $35,000 a year. The government should stand back and let these banks fail (I'm looking at you Bear Sterns). Bailing them out and greater government interference will make things worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    So does the thought of Mike Huckabee require you to put on a clean pair of pants?
    Although barracuda & huck seem to share many extreme/fundamentalist views, he is a pu$$ycat compared to the "hottest vp from the coldest state". DRILL, DRILL, DRILL.....

Thanks for caring. I am going to stop at the market tonight to pick up a box of depends.
    Last edited by pdxtreo; 09/04/2008 at 04:24 PM. Reason: fixed *****
    Didn't Obama once say he was a reformer? How so when he went knocking on the established leaders of the Chicago scene? How is that reform; it sounds more like more of the same.

With Palin, the politicians are not happy with her, but the public is. That sounds like reform, not conform.

There are people here that talk about her not talking about middle class issues; thing is, she is middle class. She drives herself to work, has no chef, her husband is a commercial fisherman, the kids in public school. She is middle class values.

Frankly she is the woman the left loves to tout and works to cut.