Page 13 of 53 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
    That brings back memories, I was a Democrat back then.

Per capita - ok, got it there!
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=7755888

McGovern/Eagelton '72

This is a good story.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxtreo View Post
    http://mobile.latimes.com/news.jsp?k...1&full=1&rc=op

This is an interesting piece on Palin in the Times. Nice to learn that this will not be the first time that a VP candidate was scrubbed from the ticket (Eagleton '72 - will have to research this more). Republicans can take heart in knowing the Dems did it first.
    as ancient as I am, I can still remember that '72 convention sequence like it was this morning.

Eagleton not telling McGovern about the electric paddles, about the depression, the shock treatments ...

The endless STUPID convention floor arguments and platform plank fights that delayed McGovern's (excellent) acceptance speech until something like 1 or 2 in the morning (when I too fell asleep).

McGovern was 1000% behind Eagleton -- before he wasn't.

Shriver somehow replacing him -- the election, the 49 state tsunami -- the blame, the accusations, the denial --- the horror ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    I expect (and fear) that Miss PTA President will deliver a far far better acceptance speech tonight than is expected.

Her audience will be GIGANTIC -- as everyone hopes to see the trapeze artist go splat --

if she survives tonight (as is very likely), the press will back off -- and she will have a recoil of popular support and favorable press attention ...
    "It’s over."

Don’t expect Republican strategist Michael Murphy and Wall Street Journalist column Peggy Noonan to receive Christmas cards from the John McCain and Sarah Palin campaign this year.

On the most critical night of the year so far for the McCain-Palin ticket, the two Republican insiders were talking with MSNBC’s Chuck Todd about the Palin VP selection. The segment wraps up. End of story.

Not so fast.

The problem? They kept talking. The mics were still on, and they didn’t know it.

Chuck Todd: Mike Murphy, lots of free advice, we’ll see if Steve Schmidt and the boys were watching. We’ll find out on your blackberry. Tonight voters will get their chance to hear from Sarah Palin and she will get the chance to show voters she’s the right woman for the job Up next, one man who’s already convinced and he’ll us why Gov. Jon Huntsman.

(cut away)

Peggy Noonan: Yeah.

Mike Murphy: You know, because I come out of the blue swing state governor world: Engler, Whitman, Tommy Thompson, Mitt Romney, Jeb Bush. I mean, these guys — this is how you win a Texas race, just run it up. And it’s not gonna work. And –

PN: It’s over.

MM: Still McCain can give a version of the Lieberman speech to do himself some good.

CT: I also think the Palin pick is insulting to Kay Bailey Hutchinson, too.

PN: Saw Kay this morning.

CT: Yeah, she’s never looked comfortable about this –

MM: They’re all bummed out.

CT: Yeah, I mean is she really the most qualified woman they could have turned to?

PN: The most qualified? No! I think they went for this — excuse me– political bull**** about narratives –

CT: Yeah they went to a narrative.

MM: I totally agree.

PN: Every time the Republicans do that, because that’s not where they live and it’s not what they’re good at, they blow it.

MM: You know what’s really the worst thing about it? The greatness of McCain is no cynicism, and this is cynical.

CT: This is cynical, and as you called it, gimmicky.

MM: Yeah.So what do they think when not spouting the made-for-TV talking points?

“It’s not going to work,” Murphy said.

Noonan said the race was over, and that Palin was not the most qualified woman for the job.

What would be most interesting is to hear what they said before they thought they were off the air.
    Last edited by daThomas; 09/03/2008 at 09:27 PM.
    Oh man. The zingers Giuliani is sending Obama's way are razor sharp. LOL. Making great points, particularly on each candidate's response to the Georgia / Russia debacle. Dayum.
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    Oh man. The zingers Giuliani is sending Obama's way are razor sharp. LOL. Making great points, particularly on each candidate's response to the Georgia / Russia debacle. Dayum.
    Actually, McCain's response was generally considered to be confrontational sabre-rattling, at a time when we have absolutely no military capacity to back it up.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    The audience's response to sarah's entrance.......

Wow.
    obama's response - let's let the UN handle the problem, while forgetting that russia has the right to veto whatever the UN decides. LOL.

Is he serious?
    Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin told ministry students at her former church that the United States sent troops to fight in the Iraq war on a "task that is from God."

In an address last June, the Republican vice presidential candidate also urged ministry students to pray for a plan to build a $30 billion natural gas pipeline in the state, calling it "God's will."

Palin asked the students to pray for the troops in Iraq, and noted that her eldest son, Track, was expected to be deployed there.

"Our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God," she said. "That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that plan is God's plan."

A video of the speech was posted at the Wasilla Assembly of God's Web site before finding its way on to other sites on the Internet.

Palin told graduating students of the church's School of Ministry, "What I need to do is strike a deal with you guys." As they preached the love of Jesus throughout Alaska, she said, she'd work to implement God's will from the governor's office, including creating jobs by building a pipeline to bring North Slope natural gas to North American markets.

"God's will has to be done in unifying people and companies to get that gas line built, so pray for that," she said.

"I can do my job there in developing our natural resources and doing things like getting the roads paved and making sure our troopers have their cop cars and their uniforms and their guns, and making sure our public schools are funded," she added. "But really all of that stuff doesn't do any good if the people of Alaska's heart isn't right with God."

Palin attended the evangelical church from the time she was a teenager until 2002, the church said in a statement posted on its Web site. She has continued to attend special conferences and meetings there. Religious conservatives have welcomed her selection as John McCain's running mate.

Rob Boston, a spokesman for Americans United for Separation of Church and State, lamented Palin's comments.

"I miss the days when pastors delivered sermons and politicians delivered political speeches," he said. "The United States is increasingly diverse religiously. The job of a president is to unify all those different people and bring them together around policy goals, not to act as a kind of national pastor and bring people to God."

The section of the church's Web site where videos of past sermons were posted was shut down Wednesday, and a message was posted saying that the site "was never intended to handle the traffic it has received in the last few days."

Lovely, just lovely.

obama's response - let's let the UN handle the problem, while forgetting that russia has the right to veto whatever the UN decides. LOL.

Is he serious?

That's funny....Obama's statement actually was:

“As I have said for many months, aggressive diplomatic action must be taken to reach a political resolution to this crisis, and to assure that Georgia’s sovereignty is protected. Diplomats at the highest levels from the United States, the European Union and the United Nations must become directly involved in mediating this military conflict and beginning a process to resolve the political disputes over the territories of South Ossetia and Abkhazia. A genuinely neutral mediator — not the Russian government — must begin a process of negotiations immediately."

McCain's was this:

"Russia should immediately and unconditionally cease its military operations and withdraw all forces from sovereign Georgian territory. What is most critical now is to avoid further confrontation between Russian and Georgian military forces. The consequences of Euro-Atlantic stability and security are grave. The government of Georgia has called for a ceasefire and for a resumption of direct talks on South Ossetia with international mediators. The U.S. should immediately convene an emergency session of the United Nations Security Council to call on Russia to reverse course."

So was calling the UN Security Council regarding Russia a good thing, now that it came from McCain as well? I always urge people to think about their position, rather than simply follow either party line.

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    oh here goes the left again with its paralyzing fear of the word "god".

"God" forbid a candidate believes in anything, right?

I suppose a better leader is one who has no faith in anyone or anything, right?

lovely way of choosing one's leadership - requirements? Must not have faith. Yeah. That's great.

lovely way of choosing one's leadership - requirements? Must not have faith. Yeah. That's great.
    Claiming a deity desires a war is the lowest of the low. Much less wants a Federal gov't project in one's state.

BTW logmein, look up Palin's position on the bridge to no where. She supported it whole heartedly! Also, look up who the largest employer in Alaska is.

Try some facts and not conservative party rhetoric. Try thinking freely for yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    That's funny....Obama's statement actually was:
    Whoa whoa whoa there Bujin.

Facts have NO PLACE in a discussion of Republican politics.
    The audience's response to sarah's entrance.......

Wow.
    Here's a tissue logmein.

Well, I can't really be considered "the left", but I do indeed resent that faith be a REQUIREMENT for a candidate, considering we have a fundamental separation of church and state. We certainly don't currently choose our leaders based upon "having no faith" - quite the opposite. An agnostic / athiest could simply never be elected in this day and age.

We have candidates (including Sarah Putin) believe that we should teach Intelligent Design alongside evolution in our science classes, despite the fact that (a) there is no actual science to support it, and (b) the fact that my children should not be forced to be indoctrinated with other people's religious beliefs.

We also have candidates, based upon THEIR faith, would outlaw abortions, thus forcing their beliefs onto others who may not share them.

She's nuts. A self described "pit bull with lipstick".
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxtreo View Post
    She's nuts. A self described "pit bull with lipstick".
    She scared me tremendously - partly because of her opinions, and partly because of the way that seemly smart people are so supportive of her, echoing the party line without thought. The idea that "she has more executive experience than Obama", but that "she doesn't have more executive experience than McCain because of his military assignment in the 1970's" is simply silly, yet folks in this hall are following like lemmings.

There's no way intelligent folks can really think that she's the best person for the job. Ridge, Romney, Lieberman and Huckaby all have more experience. Even my state's governor (Jodi Rell, CT) is a Republican,has more experience, has done tremendous work on ethics reform, and has approval ratings similar to Palin. As someone who follows politics obsessively, I just find it....weird.

the fact that my children should not be forced to be indoctrinated with other people's religious beliefs.
    My kids (imaginary as they may be), shouldn't be forced to learn a detailed analysis of why some people think the caged monkey at the local zoo is my cousin.

We also have candidates, based upon THEIR faith, would outlaw abortions, thus forcing their beliefs onto others who may not share them.
    Ahh...the beauty of the elected representative system...if Congress decides to outlaw abortion, then it would seem that the majority wanted it to be outlawed. I'm sure there are crazies out there who believe stabbing random bystanders on the street is not wrong...should we repeal laws against that because we shouldn't force our beliefs on them?
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    I expect (and fear) that Miss PTA President will deliver a far far better acceptance speech tonight than is expected.

Her audience will be GIGANTIC -- as everyone hopes to see the trapeze artist go splat --

if she survives tonight (as is very likely), the press will back off -- and she will have a recoil of popular support and favorable press attention ...
    As I expected, she delivered a very good speech

The content fairly strong, and her stumbles few

Despite all her attacks, ironically the greatest weakness in my impression was her femininity. Though undeniably attractive, I'm suspecting that the average voter might not associate her with the martial requirements of being President.

But her attractiveness communicates a winsome decency -- an accessible PTA like quality -- that will to a large extent immunize her from attempts by primates like me to paint her as an evangelical monster.

(though this ought be in the other thread -- I was not at all surprised that her daughter's sperm donor was prominently seated along the wayward daughter...it will be harder for that whole scandal to be pushed going forward)