Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    Special underwear & multiple wives are cool too.
    Romney joked that He had a particular problem with same sex marriage in massachusetts because for him marriage is between a man and a woman and a woman and a woman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    I read that story earlier today. Since McCain knew about the pregnancy before he picked her, I'm really confused why he did pick her. She has limited experience (although the experience she does have is executive and not legislative), she's involved in a scandal (although I think she didn't do anything wrong), and now her daughter is pregnant (doesn't really say all that much about Sarah, but it's bad for her conservative reputation nonetheless). His choice doesn't change my vote, but it does baffle me.
    I for one am much reassured to know that we have such a serious and mature leader as John McCain available to be our next President. The process by which he thoroughly examined this most important part of becoming a Presidential nominee, reflects well on his wisdom and experience.

Its clear that he used the 7 months since he nailed down his nomination well in selecting the best potential VP.

Bravo John McCain, Bravo.

this claim that they "knew" all about her prego kid is laughable.

There was almost no "vetting" of Palin -- just a last minute meet, interview, and decision.

I continue to believe (as I only half jokingly said days ago -- that she will not be the VP nominee.)

When you read the NYT piece and others, you understand the hasty and disorganized way this was done.

Disclosures on Palin Raise Questions on McCain's Vetting Process
    By ELISABETH BUMILLER NYT

ST. PAUL — A series of disclosures about Gov. Sarah Palin, Senator John McCain’s choice as running mate, called into question on Monday how thoroughly Mr. McCain had examined her background before putting her on the Republican presidential ticket...

...it was learned that Ms. Palin now has a private lawyer in a legislative ethics investigation in Alaska into whether she abused her power in dismissing the state’s public safety commissioner; that she was a member for two years in the 1990s of the Alaska Independence Party, which has at times sought a vote on whether the state should secede; and that Mr. Palin was arrested 22 years ago on a drunken-driving charge.

Aides to Mr. McCain said they had a team on the ground in Alaska now to look more thoroughly into Ms. Palin’s background. A Republican with ties to the campaign said the team assigned to vet Ms. Palin in Alaska had not arrived there until Thursday, a day before Mr. McCain stunned the political world with his vice-presidential choice. The campaign was still calling Republican operatives as late as Sunday night asking them to go to Alaska to deal with the unexpected candidacy of Ms. Palin...

...top aides were vague on Monday about how and when he had learned of the pregnancy, and from whom.

While there was no sign that her formal nomination this week was in jeopardy, the questions swirling around Ms. Palin on the first day of the Republican National Convention, already disrupted by Hurricane Gustav, brought anxiety to Republicans who worried that Democrats would use the selection of Ms. Palin to question Mr. McCain’s judgment and his ability to make crucial decisions.

At the least, Republicans close to the campaign said it was increasingly apparent that Ms. Palin had been selected as Mr. McCain’s running mate with more haste than McCain advisers initially described.

Up until midweek last week, some 48 to 72 hours before Mr. McCain introduced Ms. Palin at a Friday rally in Dayton, Ohio, Mr. McCain was still holding out the hope that he could choose a good friend, Senator Joseph I. Lieberman, independent of Connecticut, a Republican close to the campaign said. Mr. McCain had also been interested in another favorite, former Gov. Tom Ridge of Pennsylvania.

But both men favor abortion rights, anathema to the Christian conservatives who make up a crucial base of the Republican Party. As word leaked out that Mr. McCain was seriously considering the men, the campaign was bombarded by outrage from influential conservatives who predicted an explosive floor fight at the convention and vowed rejection of Mr. Ridge or Mr. Lieberman by the delegates...

...He had his first face-to-face interview with her on Thursday and offered her the job moments later. Advisers to Mr. Pawlenty and another of the finalists on Mr. McCain’s list described an intensive vetting process for those candidates that lasted one to two months.

“They didn’t seriously consider her until four or five days from the time she was picked, before she was asked, maybe the Thursday or Friday before,” said a Republican close to the campaign. “This was really kind of rushed at the end, because John didn’t get what he wanted. He wanted to do Joe or Ridge.”...

...Mr. McCain’s advisers said repeatedly on Monday that Ms. Palin was “thoroughly vetted,” ...A McCain aide said the campaign was well aware of the ethics investigation and had looked into it.

“It was obviously something that anybody Googling Sarah Palin knew was in the news and there was a very thorough vetting done on that and also on the daughter,” the aide said...

...The Washington Post quoted advisers to Mr. McCain on Sunday as saying Ms. Palin had been subjected to an F.B.I. background check, an F.B.I. official said Monday the bureau did not vet potential candidates and had not known of her selection until it was made public......Mr. Salter did not respond to an e-mail message asking if Ms. Palin had told Mr. Culvahouse and his lawyers that her daughter was pregnant.

In Alaska, several state leaders and local officials said they knew of no efforts by the McCain campaign to find out more information about Ms. Palin before the announcement of her selection, Although campaigns are typically discreet when they make inquiries into potential running mates, officials in Alaska said Monday they thought it was peculiar that no one in the state had the slightest hint that Ms. Palin might be under consideration.

“They didn’t speak to anyone in the Legislature, they didn’t speak to anyone in the business community,” said Lyda Green, the State Senate president, who lives in Wasilla, where Ms. Palin served as mayor...

...I have not been able to find one person that was called,” Ms. Phillips said. “I called 30 to 40 people, political leaders, business leaders, community leaders. Not one of them had heard. Alaska is a very small community, we know people all over, but I haven’t found anybody who was asked anything.”

The current mayor of Wasilla, Dianne M. Keller, said she had not heard of any efforts to look into Ms. Palin’s background. And Randy Ruedrich, the state Republican Party chairman, said he knew nothing of any vetting that had been conducted.

State Senator Hollis French, a Democrat who is directing the ethics investigation, said that no one asked him about the allegations. “I heard not a word, not a single contact,” he said.

A number of Republicans said the McCain campaign had to some degree tied its hands in its effort to keep the selection process so secret...

...“They obviously felt it was worth the risk to rev up the base and potentially reach out to Clinton supporters,”

(BTW -- I humbly suggest within this thread we concentrate the discussion of this topic on its implications for McCain's Presidential prospects, and that the other thread look at Palin, and the family, ethical, and theological angles of this so very juicy story...)
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/02/2008 at 12:41 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Yep, nothing anywhere on him being with the campaign, just a boy friend in the town and it was not a well kept secret. http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...,00.html?imw=Y

It is fun watching you implode.

Don't worry, I'm sure the dems will do something stupid soon to even this nightmare out.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I read that story earlier today. Since McCain knew about the pregnancy before he picked her, I'm really confused why he did pick her. She has limited experience (although the experience she does have is executive and not legislative), she's involved in a scandal (although I think she didn't do anything wrong), and now her daughter is pregnant (doesn't really say all that much about Sarah, but it's bad for her conservative reputation nonetheless). His choice doesn't change my vote, but it does baffle me.
    The same reason McCain has made other bad decisions in the past.... his judgment is cloudy. Keating 5 was not a "mistake." Cheating on his first wife was not a mistake. Picking this lady for VP and then calling her his "soulmate" was not a mistake.

McCain is not going to be the same as Bush... he is going to be worse... we are headed for disaster.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Obama/Biden = McCain/Palin... same ticket.
    Actually,
    Obama/Biden = Palin/McCain

Think about what we're left with if Biden has a heart attack.
    Well the thing is, it's not just McCain who makes the decision...he's got plenty of political nerds to advise him. Obviously they thought it was a decent decision (maybe not great, maybe not good...but decent at the least). Well...unless he just ignored all of them...but I doubt anyone would be stupid to ignore an entire team of political advisors.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Well the thing is, it's not just McCain who makes the decision...he's got plenty of political nerds to advise him. Obviously they thought it was a decent decision (maybe not great, maybe not good...but decent at the least). Well...unless he just ignored all of them...but I doubt anyone would be stupid to ignore an entire team of political advisors.
    I don't think he ignored them, or he'd have certainly gone with Lieberman. I think he's trying to push back and have a choice that will get press and have people talking, and in that he succeeded. If he had chosen Pawlenty, for example, the conversation over the weekend would have been all about Obama's speech - as it was, there was very little coverage thanks to his announcement.

The bigger question to me is: would he have chosen her if she weren't a woman, based upon her qualifications? Were there other candidates with more experience and qualifications (Romney comes to mind) who were not selected simply on the basis of gender?

As much as the McCain camp is stating "well, she's running for VP and not P", the reality is that 1/3 of all VP's have ended up succeeding their president. Any VP has to have the ability to 'be ready on Day 1'.

All in all, a fascinating race!
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G

I hope you read the NYT article above that I quoted from extensively in my post above --

that they are scrambling so hard to now learn what they can about her, demonstrates that her selection was hasty -- it was clearly the product of very limited research and the input of very few staffers.

She was chosen because the Christian rightists who vetoed Lieberman and Ridge, liked Palin (while McCain didn't like Pawlenty or Gov. Silly Puddy much.)

(McCain was also hoping to attract the support of uteral americans who are still angry at how Hillary was cheated out of the nomination.)
    All of us should be exceedingly concerned if Nancy were thrown in to the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Actually,
    Obama/Biden = Palin/McCain

Think about what we're left with if Biden has a heart attack.
    I did read the NYT article, but I'm not sure where it starts exaggerating. It hardly named any names, providing quotes only from "top aides" and "Republicans close to the convention", which in my eyes, are not great sources...at least, not until a name can be put to them. I understand they have reasons for keeping the names, but still...

That plus my gut feeling that he wouldn't be stupid enough to pick a random person has me thinking that they have a motive behind it, and they think it's going to help them.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Too funny:

Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Too funny:

I especially like documentaries that are also comedies --

can't wait to see this movie !!
    Too funny:

That is wrong... simply WRONG!!!!!
    in introducing the neophyte former PTA President Palin, McCain bragged about how like him, she opposed earmarks and wasteful spending -- how like him she was against manipulating the congressional system to unfairly deliver precious taxpayer funds to support dubious local projects because of powerful support in congress.

I'm glad at least in this, they are consistent ...

Palin's Small Alaska Town Secured Big Federal Funds
    By Paul Kane Washington Post Staff Writer
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008; A01

ST. PAUL, Minn., Sept. 1 -- Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin employed a lobbying firm to secure almost $27 million in federal earmarks for a town of 6,700 residents while she was its mayor ...

... $500,000 for a youth shelter, $1.9 million for a transportation hub, $900,000 for sewer repairs, and $15 million for a rail project -- all intended to benefit Palin's town, Wasilla...

... Sen. John McCain cast her as a compatriot in his battle against wasteful federal spending. McCain, the Republican presidential candidate, hailed Palin as a politician "with an outstanding reputation for standing up to special interests and entrenched bureaucracies -- someone who has fought against corruption and the failed policies of the past, someone who's stopped government from wasting taxpayers' money."

McCain's crusade against earmarks -- federal spending sought by members of Congress to benefit specific projects -- has been a hallmark of his campaign. He has said earmarks are wasteful and are often inserted into bills with little oversight, sometimes by a single powerful lawmaker.

Palin has also railed against earmarks, touting her opposition to a $223 million bridge in the state as a prime credential for the vice presidential nomination. "As governor, I've stood up to the old politics-as-usual, to the special interests, to the lobbyists, the big oil companies, and the good-ol'-boy network," she said Friday.

As mayor of Wasilla, however, Palin oversaw the hiring of Robertson, Monagle & Eastaugh, an Anchorage-based law firm with close ties to Alaska's most senior Republicans: Rep. Don Young and Sen. Ted Stevens, who was indicted in July on charges of accepting illegal gifts. The Wasilla account was handled by the former chief of staff to Stevens, Steven W. Silver, who is a partner in the firm.

Palin was elected mayor of Wasilla in 1996 on a campaign theme of "a time for change." According to a review of congressional spending by Taxpayers for Common Sense, a nonpartisan watchdog group in Washington, Wasilla did not receive any federal earmarks in the first few years of Palin's tenure.

Senate records show that Silver's firm began working for Palin in early 2000, just as federal money began flowing.

In fiscal 2000, Wasilla received a $1 million earmark, tucked into a transportation appropriations bill, for a rail and bus project in the town. And in the winter of 2000, Palin appeared before congressional appropriations committees to seek earmarks...

Palin and the Wasilla City Council increased Silver's fee from $24,000 to $36,000 a year by 2001...

Soon after, the city benefited from additional earmarks: $500,000 for a mental health center, $500,000 for the purchase of federal land and $450,000 to rehabilitate an agricultural processing facility. Then there was the $15 million rail project, intended to connect Wasilla with the town of Girdwood, where Stevens has a house.

The Washington trip is now an annual event for Wasilla officials.
    In fiscal year 2002, Wasilla took in $6.1 million in earmarks -- about $1,000 in federal money for every resident. By contrast, Boise, Idaho -- which has more than 190,000 residents -- received $6.9 million in earmarks in fiscal 2008.

...Wasilla benefited from $26.9 million in earmarks in Palin's final four years in office...

...Palin's campaign spokeswoman, said Palin sought the Wasilla earmarks because she was "working in the best interests of Alaska, working within the confines of the current system."...

The Palin earmarks came when Stevens was chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee and Young was a senior member of the House transportation committee.

In hiring Silver, Wasilla found someone who was a member of each lawmaker's inner circle. Silver has donated at least $11,400 to Stevens's political committees and $10,000 to Young's reelection committee in the past decade, according to Federal Election Commission records.

Sliver's firm employed Stevens's son, Ben Stevens, in the late 1990s as a federal lobbyist...

The firm became ensnared in the wide-ranging federal investigation of corruption by Alaska Republican officials...

Ted Stevens is awaiting trial on charges that he accepted more than $250,000 in unreported gifts from Allen. Ben Stevens, who has not been charged, has been identified in court documents as having accepted more than $240,000 in consulting payments in exchange for legislative favors...

...Palin has reversed course on at least one major earmark: After initially supporting the $223 million bridge, which was to connect the town of Ketchikan with a remote island, she reversed course last year and canceled the project because of cost overruns. Critics have dubbed the project the "Bridge to Nowhere."

But her administration remains eager for many other earmarks.

In February, Palin's office sent Sen. Stevens a 70-page memo outlining almost $200 million worth of new funding requests for Alaska.
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/02/2008 at 06:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    in introducing the neophyte former PTA President Palin, McCain bragged about how like him, she opposed earmarks and wasteful spending -- how like him she was against manipulating the congressional system to unfairly deliver precious taxpayer funds to support dubious local projects because of powerful support in congress.

I'm glad at least in this, they are consistent ...
    You do of course realize what the #1 industry is in Alaska don't you?

You do of course realize what the #1 industry is in Alaska don't you?

as a European, you probably think I will not know the answer to your question. You likely think that BARYE knows nothing about america except for NY, L.A., (and those Louisiana Estates HE was swindled out of).

But dat, I'm an educated primate -- I've been studying your country for years, and as such I even know about Alaska.

Most of you americans probably only think of Alaska as a cold place, a place with only a few weeks of spring serving as a brief interlude between winters. That the only reason people go there is to drill for oil or date Caribou.

What you all probably do not know is that the primary industry of Alaska is farming -- yes farming.

During the limited period of sun there, they grow the biggest melons, heads of lettuce, and pumpkins in the world.

But their greatest crop is the production of pigs --

Thats right -- Alaska is the world's greatest harvester of pork.
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/02/2008 at 11:21 PM.
    Not quite the biggest harvestor of pork and you know that. Take a tour to the state where everything is named for the x-KKK guy. By far he leads.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Not quite the biggest harvestor of pork and you know that. Take a tour to the state where everything is named for the x-KKK guy. By far he leads.
    likely untrue Ben -- especially on a per capita basis.

I think there are fewer people living in Alaska than you'd find in an average Beijing Burger King during the lunch hour (its the onion rings).

Besides -- do you have any idea what it costs to construct a Byrd sanctuary, Ben ???

have you no compassion for these poor defenseless featherly creatures ??

have you not wondered why Byrds need earmarks ?? (its so they can finally hear the music of Byrd songs...)
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/03/2008 at 12:28 PM.
    http://mobile.latimes.com/news.jsp?k...1&full=1&rc=op

This is an interesting piece on Palin in the Times. Nice to learn that this will not be the first time that a VP candidate was scrubbed from the ticket (Eagleton '72 - will have to research this more). Republicans can take heart in knowing the Dems did it first.