Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 1043
  1. #201  
    4 years of Bush? Not really. McCain is more Democrat than Republican in almost every aspect. Obama playing it safe? No, Obama hoping that no one will pay close attention to what he says.

    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Now when did I ever say that things were going to change?

    I am just sick and tired of candidates making claims to support a certain topic, and then chop the support up to get a quick vote.

    From what I have picked up, McCain is just like most of the other GOP candidates, and Obama is trying to play it safe.

    Obama claims to be all for equal rights for everybody, but in order to get the support of the conservative Americans he completely weakens his support for equal rights with "equal but different" comments. If you claim to support equality for everybody than do not undermine your claim by stating that you believe that marriage is only between a man and a woman and that one group of people should get marriage while another should only get civil unions.

    To me, McCain is at least four more years of W and I am not to sure that I want a President that is not going to stand behind his claimed policies.

    So yes, "none of the above" seems to be applicable in my case. Though, "things are so f'd up and they are all corrupt and nothing is going to change it" does not apply here. Things can be changed, but I am not sure with these people behind the wheel.

    Anyway, I am off to spend the next two months figuring out where to put this vote.
  2. #202  
    Not qualified, but your qualifications are much more than someone doing the job for less than 2 years and as a school administrator you definitely have more qualifications when it comes to personnel, financing/budgeting, planning, maintenance, the list is long. I am sure at meetings you vote for real and not as "present." Obama has voted "present" something like 130 or so times.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I can sort of understand the argument that governors have experience that may be more analogous to the presidency than a congressman would. However, all executive experience isn't equal, so to state that being a small-town mayor counts as experience to be president is rather silly.

    I've been a school administrator for 15 years, yet I make no claims that I'm ready to be president.....yet.
  3. #203  
    No worse than Putin looking at Obama, thinking about Obama's record and then saying, tough.

    As for the comment about 4 month old baby, et cetera, that really smacks of sexism.

    Quote Originally Posted by Iago View Post
    personal contact? with 5 kids it's obvious they have a lot of that, but THATS not relevant.

    I was reading Maureen Dowd today, interesting and funny column. Can you imagine McCain's pick trying to stare Putin down? 4 month old baby in one arm, breast pump in the other? hahahaha
  4. #204  
    A law professor who claims to be a constitutional attorney. His answers show a serious lapse there. A legislator? Well, if saying "present" 130 or so times makes him a legislator. A senator/law maker's experience is normally in a few issues, not nearly the number of issues a governor is involved in. As for Obama managing his campaign office well - maybe so, but it is interesting to note what his campaign says and then what he and his VP say (Palin) and it is not limited to her. There are no issues in his stable that have not stood the test of inspection.

    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Executive experience isn't the only factor, or even the most important of many factors, but it is important. There are many very smart people who turn out to be awful and ineffective managers, and you don't really know for sure until you give them management responsibility. Obama may turn out to be an awesome manager; he has reportedly run his campaign office extremely well. But he hasn't truly been tested in that role. He was a law professor, a community organizer (whatever that is), and a legislator.

    Palin manages probably tens of thousands of state employees, and a budget of probably many billions of dollars. She has decision making authority over a very wide range of issues, and she's accountable for the performance of the organization she leads. That alone doesn't "qualify" a person to be President, but it helps. Carter, Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, and Bush II all had some executive experience before taking the role of President.

    How does being a Senator "qualify" a person to be President? Well, there's the assumption that Senators have knowledge on most issues faced by the federal government. That's true to a degree. I consider Biden to be an expert on foreign policy, and I would trust his judgment as commander in chief - though I might not always agree with him. When a Senator writes a bill or chairs a committee or travels regularly to certain regions, I would assume he's an expert on the subject matter. But I'm not so sure that having voted on a piece of legislation or having talked about an issue in a speech makes one an expert in that area.

    Likewise, I don't assume someone has no knowledge of a subject or poor judgment just because he or she has not worked in Washington. My initial impression of Palin is partly negative - not due to her experience, but because I disagree with her positions on several issues. (I do like that she's for ANWR drilling, and I hope she converts McCain.) It'll be interesting to see whether she ultimately demonstrates valuable expertise on energy policy, environmental policy, and government reform.

    You're entitled to your opinion that she's the least qualified person to run on a major ticket recently. But your claim that it's a "fact" is just silly since there is obviously no objective standard for qualification.


    Obama is an extremely impressive guy - very smart and very charismatic. And my biggest concern about him - that he would create chaos in the Middle East with his promise to pull out troops regardless of circumstances on the ground - has largely gone away, as a result of both the trend toward stability in Iraq and the choice of Biden as VP nominee. For the first time in a long time, I am truly undecided about my vote.
  5. #205  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    4 years of Bush? Not really. McCain is more Democrat than Republican in almost every aspect. Obama playing it safe? No, Obama hoping that no one will pay close attention to what he says.
    Either way, there is a lot of convincing that needs to be done.
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  6. #206  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Executive experience isn't the only factor, or even the most important of many factors, but it is important. There are many very smart people who turn out to be awful and ineffective managers, and you don't really know for sure until you give them management responsibility. Obama may turn out to be an awesome manager; he has reportedly run his campaign office extremely well. But he hasn't truly been tested in that role. He was a law professor, a community organizer (whatever that is), and a legislator.

    Palin manages probably tens of thousands of state employees, and a budget of probably many billions of dollars. She has decision making authority over a very wide range of issues, and she's accountable for the performance of the organization she leads. That alone doesn't "qualify" a person to be President, but it helps. Carter, Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, and Bush II all had some executive experience before taking the role of President.

    How does being a Senator "qualify" a person to be President? Well, there's the assumption that Senators have knowledge on most issues faced by the federal government. That's true to a degree. I consider Biden to be an expert on foreign policy, and I would trust his judgment as commander in chief - though I might not always agree with him. When a Senator writes a bill or chairs a committee or travels regularly to certain regions, I would assume he's an expert on the subject matter. But I'm not so sure that having voted on a piece of legislation or having talked about an issue in a speech makes one an expert in that area.

    Likewise, I don't assume someone has no knowledge of a subject or poor judgment just because he or she has not worked in Washington. My initial impression of Palin is partly negative - not due to her experience, but because I disagree with her positions on several issues. (I do like that she's for ANWR drilling, and I hope she converts McCain.) It'll be interesting to see whether she ultimately demonstrates valuable expertise on energy policy, environmental policy, and government reform.

    You're entitled to your opinion that she's the least qualified person to run on a major ticket recently. But your claim that it's a "fact" is just silly since there is obviously no objective standard for qualification.


    Obama is an extremely impressive guy - very smart and very charismatic. And my biggest concern about him - that he would create chaos in the Middle East with his promise to pull out troops regardless of circumstances on the ground - has largely gone away, as a result of both the trend toward stability in Iraq and the choice of Biden as VP nominee. For the first time in a long time, I am truly undecided about my vote.
    Your post is preposterous....

    You don't seem to mention Obama's years as legislature... you only mention he was in legislature.

    So if I were Governor for two days I'd have "more" experience than anyone else running for office? Please....


    McCain wins. McCain has a heart attack March 2nd 2009 and is unable to continue in office. Palin is engrossed in her scandal back at home. Now she has to focus on "being president." This is a disaster situation.

    And many more people smarter than you and I (people who analyze this for a living) are stating that she is the least qualified person to run for office in modern history. How silly are they?

    Check and Mate....

    (My real belief, outside of the toying with you guys/gals on this board is that Obama and this lady have about the same limited experience... although, I believe Obama could perform this job better. I'm worried about her scandal. Plus, I've not read much about her. Outside of I know she has some enemies since she seems to have built her career exposing people.

    But this scandal reeks of a similar person we had go into office with a scandal (How about a cigar?). You know, the same person Republicans mention when they say someone with a scandal should not have been let into office. Now that the tables are turned, people want to let someone who is going through another scandal in office. It is comical. Live long enough you see all types of BS.

    Obama/Biden = McCain/Palin... same ticket.

    Experience argument is such a crock... of course ben is pushing that so it is fun....

    Back to the fun.... )
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  7. #207  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    4 years of Bush? Not really. McCain is more Democrat than Republican in almost every aspect. Obama playing it safe? No, Obama hoping that no one will pay close attention to what he says.
    You are really trying hard to push the McSame/Putin ticket.

    It is nice to see you attempting to fight for your candidate and the Republican party instead of making race baiting remarks about obama. Although, you still can't help but mention obama in every post you have....

    And everyone does pay attention to what obama says... it is McCain who flip flops like a headless chicken when it comes to issues.... changing his mind to accommodate whatever audience he has in front of him.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  8. #208  
    if knowing how to dissemble, lie, and mislead is a qualifier to be a heartbeat away from the world's most important job, I guess she's qualified.

    At her intro Palin made a big deal out of opposing and canceling "the bridge to nowhere".

    McComedien's TP (talking points) and their talking head echo, has been humping this storyline breathlessly.

    Sadly, this story is not as she want us to know it (and I so wanted to believe in her ...)


    Palin "bridge to nowhere" line angers many Alaskans
    By Yereth RosenMon Reuters
    Sep 1, 2008

    ...Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's assertion that she rejected Congressional funds for the so-called "bridge to nowhere" has upset many Alaskans.

    During her first speech after being named as McCain's surprise pick as a running mate, Palin said she had told Congress "'thanks but no thanks' on that bridge to nowhere."...

    ...political leaders of both parties said the claim was false and a betrayal of their community, because she had supported the bridge and the earmark for it secured by Alaska's Congressional delegation during her run for governor.

    The bridge, a span from the city to Gravina Island, home to only a few dozen people, secured a $223 million earmark in 2005...

    ...running for governor in 2006, Palin said she was insulted by the term "bridge to nowhere," according to Ketchikan Mayor Bob Weinstein, a Democrat, and Mike Elerding, a Republican who was Palin's campaign coordinator in the southeast Alaska city.

    "People are learning that she pandered to us by saying, I'm for this' ... and then when she found it was politically advantageous for her nationally, abruptly she starts using the very term that she said was insulting," ...

    ...fury over the bridge caused Congress to remove the earmark designation, but Alaska was still granted an equivalent amount of transportation money to be used at its own discretion...

    The state, however, never gave back any of the money that was originally earmarked for the Gravina Island bridge,...

    the Palin administration has spent "tens of millions of dollars" in federal funds to start building a road on Gravina Island that is supposed to link up to the yet-to-be-built bridge,

    "She said 'thanks but no thanks,' but they kept the money," ...

    ..."You don't tell a group of Alaskans you support something and then go to someplace else and say you oppose it," ...
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/01/2008 at 12:30 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  9. #209  
    Obama's years in the state legislature? No one is discounting that - however, it does not count toward executive experience. Palin has been governor for more than 2 days.

    McCain heart attack? A bad example. Anyone can have a heart attack or a stroke - even you.

    You speak of scandal - Palin - well, what about the scandals in Obama's past and current history? They are far more prevalent in Obama's past than Palin's.

    Your statement about who is the most qualified - that comes really from a one-sided view point and you know that. When one looks at the job descriptions themselves, there is a big difference in her favor. That is a fact.

    The scandal involving Palin is far less serious than the rape charges made against Bill. Far less serious than the White Water scandal against Bill and Hillary. Far less serious than the charges related to Vince Foster.



    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Your post is preposterous....

    You don't seem to mention Obama's years as legislature... you only mention he was in legislature.

    So if I were Governor for two days I'd have "more" experience than anyone else running for office? Please....


    McCain wins. McCain has a heart attack March 2nd 2009 and is unable to continue in office. Palin is engrossed in her scandal back at home. Now she has to focus on "being president." This is a disaster situation.

    And many more people smarter than you and I (people who analyze this for a living) are stating that she is the least qualified person to run for office in modern history. How silly are they?

    Check and Mate....

    (My real belief, outside of the toying with you guys/gals on this board is that Obama and this lady have about the same limited experience... although, I believe Obama could perform this job better. I'm worried about her scandal. Plus, I've not read much about her. Outside of I know she has some enemies since she seems to have built her career exposing people.

    But this scandal reeks of a similar person we had go into office with a scandal (How about a cigar?). You know, the same person Republicans mention when they say someone with a scandal should not have been let into office. Now that the tables are turned, people want to let someone who is going through another scandal in office. It is comical. Live long enough you see all types of BS.

    Obama/Biden = McCain/Palin... same ticket.

    Experience argument is such a crock... of course ben is pushing that so it is fun....

    Back to the fun.... )
  10. #210  
    Mentioning Obama with nothing in the post referring to his race - the racial references have been traditionally made by you, not me. As I have stated before, his politics are my concern, not his race. Look through the threads and that is what will stand out.

    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    You are really trying hard to push the McSame/Putin ticket.

    It is nice to see you attempting to fight for your candidate and the Republican party instead of making race baiting remarks about obama. Although, you still can't help but mention obama in every post you have....

    And everyone does pay attention to what obama says... it is McCain who flip flops like a headless chicken when it comes to issues.... changing his mind to accommodate whatever audience he has in front of him.
  11. #211  
    Guilty then. Places all 4 of them in the same category.

    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    if knowing how to dissemble, lie, and mislead is a qualifier to be a heartbeat away from the world's most important job, I guess she's qualified.

    At her intro Palin made a big deal out of opposing and canceling "the bridge to nowhere".

    McComedien's TP (talking points) and their talking head echo, has been humping this storyline breathlessly.

    Sadly, this story is not as she want us to know it (and I so wanted to believe in her ...)


    Palin "bridge to nowhere" line angers many Alaskans
    By Yereth RosenMon Reuters
    Sep 1, 2008

    ...Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's assertion that she rejected Congressional funds for the so-called "bridge to nowhere" has upset many Alaskans.

    During her first speech after being named as McCain's surprise pick as a running mate, Palin said she had told Congress "'thanks but no thanks' on that bridge to nowhere."...

    ...political leaders of both parties said the claim was false and a betrayal of their community, because she had supported the bridge and the earmark for it secured by Alaska's Congressional delegation during her run for governor.

    The bridge, a span from the city to Gravina Island, home to only a few dozen people, secured a $223 million earmark in 2005...

    ...running for governor in 2006, Palin said she was insulted by the term "bridge to nowhere," according to Ketchikan Mayor Bob Weinstein, a Democrat, and Mike Elerding, a Republican who was Palin's campaign coordinator in the southeast Alaska city.

    "People are learning that she pandered to us by saying, I'm for this' ... and then when she found it was politically advantageous for her nationally, abruptly she starts using the very term that she said was insulting," ...

    ...fury over the bridge caused Congress to remove the earmark designation, but Alaska was still granted an equivalent amount of transportation money to be used at its own discretion...

    The state, however, never gave back any of the money that was originally earmarked for the Gravina Island bridge,...

    the Palin administration has spent "tens of millions of dollars" in federal funds to start building a road on Gravina Island that is supposed to link up to the yet-to-be-built bridge,

    "She said 'thanks but no thanks,' but they kept the money," ...

    ..."You don't tell a group of Alaskans you support something and then go to someplace else and say you oppose it," ...
  12. #212  
    Teen daughter of GOP VP pick is pregnant

    Edited. I misread who the father was.
  13. #213  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Teen daughter of GOP VP pick is pregnant

    Edited. I misread who the father was.
    irrespective of what wild rumour and gossip you all might have read, BARYE had nothing -- I repeat nothing at all to do with the daughter of future VP Sarah Palin's daughter becoming pregnant.

    I just want to say that I would welcome any scientific DNA type test that could establish its paternity and irrefutably quash any of this talk regarding my responsibility for that blessed child.

    As to reports in the media that a close supporter of mine has been connected to a contribution of one million dollars to a fund that would assist this wonderful young woman through that difficult transition into adulthood, only the most depraved and twisted minds could contrive to interpret this generosity as anything but a caring act of compassion and charity.

    Its not my style to point fingers at anyone else, but I donít think it unreasonable to wonder as to the meaning of John Edwards continued silence in this matter...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  14. #214  
    Yep, nothing anywhere on him being with the campaign, just a boy friend in the town and it was not a well kept secret. http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...,00.html?imw=Y


    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Teen daughter of GOP VP pick is pregnant

    Edited. I misread who the father was.
  15. #215  
    If the National Enquirer was not there, then John Edwards was not involved.
  16. #216  
    Nice to see the effectiveness of Abstinence Only Sex-Ed programs.

  17. #217  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Nice to see the effectiveness of Abstinence Only Sex-Ed programs.

    No $hit. But she is still a good evangelical xian because she's keeping her baby.
  18. #218  
    I read that story earlier today. Since McCain knew about the pregnancy before he picked her, I'm really confused why he did pick her. She has limited experience (although the experience she does have is executive and not legislative), she's involved in a scandal (although I think she didn't do anything wrong), and now her daughter is pregnant (doesn't really say all that much about Sarah, but it's bad for her conservative reputation nonetheless). His choice doesn't change my vote, but it does baffle me.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
  19. #219  
    You say something often enough and people begin to think it is true. Look at Obama, he is now the messiah. Same may happen here.
  20. #220  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I have no problem embracing a Mormon. His politics are my concern, his religion is not.

    If people knew how the Mormon church doctrine considers the Constitution as a devine document, they would prefer them in executive and administrative roles in government.

Posting Permissions