1.    #1  
    Since we have been talking about the dems so much in this forum, I thought this would be a good opportunity to highlight what is happening on the GOP front.

Now that the general elections are moving forward, President Bush is starting to help his preferred successor, John McCain, in his presidential bid through fundraising.

Its too bad the fundraising appears to be closed to the public and hush hush. Wouldn't making it more public about it better shore up McCain's conservative reputation? What do others here think?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24792867/
    I haven't really noticed before....is this really that unusual or not? It wouldn't surprise me to find out this is part of the mix of fundraisers that are held. It mentioned in the article that Bill Clinton only sometimes let press in on similar fund raisers held at private homes....so it appears it is not an uncommon practice.

Now if these should be private might be another question. Since McCain is big on being anti-lobby supported, this probably could be stretched to be twisted to be used against him for that point.

Given the invitation list that I have heard about on the news, I think it is also easy to speculate if these also might be some VP screening events.......looking off to an imaginary preinactment of one of these events.....At each dinner plate a card with an envelope. The reads:

"Democracy at work and in your hands! If you would like me to choose

Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney as my VP and runningmate to stop all the complaints about lack of economic experience then please check the box and include a signed blank check to validate your vote.

Florida Governor Charlie Crist as my VP and runningmate to spite the Dems by securing Florida again in November then please check the box and include a signed blank check to validate your vote.

Connecticut U.S. Senator Joe Lieberman as my VP and runningmate to grab all the Dem votes who are upset that their candidate did not become the Dem nominee then please check the box and include a signed blank check to validate your vote.

Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee as my VP and runningmate to grab all the religious votes then please check the box and include a signed blank check to validate your vote.

U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice as my VP and runningmate to eliminate all race and gender arguements then please check the box and include a signed blank check to validate your vote.

Governor of Louisiana Bobby Jindal as my VP and runningmate in case Obama is the nominee so we can have a candidate no ones anything about as well then please check the box and include a signed blank check to validate your vote.

The winner with the most validated votes will be announced at the Convention.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05/23/2008 at 03:32 PM.
    This is shaping up to be a nightmare election. Worst possible result for me:
    1) Reps run McCain/Jindal - Can't vote for this ticket. If Bobby gets on the ticket, he won't be able to run for dogcatcher here. Double-whammy is that Mitch Landrieu gets to run the state for a few years.
    2) Dems run Obama/Clinton - Can't vote for this ticket. If won, Obama would get into a mysterious 'accident' in short order, no doubt.
    3) Libertarians run Bob Barr - Shoot me now. Or set loose a pack of rabid dogs on me on a remote island off the Eastern Seaboard (I wish I could find a transcript of that SNL episode).
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    I don't think McCain will choose Jindal. Given McCain's age, he needs someone who people trust would be ready to step up to be President if something happened to him. And he wouldn't be able to go after Obama on the inexperience issue anymore.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Bush is only doing what he is suppose to do.... Clinton did the same thing for his successor. Matter of fact, Clinton and Bush will more than likely work in the same dark alleys, staying out of the way.
    I agree with you that on the private side Bush and Clinton both are experts at getting big donors to contribute to their respective parties.

But since you are bringing up Bill Clinton, its interesting to point out that, on the public side, he is not staying out of the way. To the contrary, Bill Clinton has for some time been quite in demand for public appearances at all levels of campaigns - congressional gubernatorial and presidential, feeding the impression that democrats are proud of his record.

In contrast, McCain and congressional republicans seem generally reluctant to associate themselves publicly with Bush, unfortunately lending an impression, justified or not, that they are embarrassed with his performance.

And to make matters worse, any move by McCain to overcome this and appear more publicly connected with Bush, just feeds into Obama's strategy of tying together Bush's unpopularity with McCain. Its an unfortunate catch 22. I will be interested to see how McCain deals with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by electronique View Post
    Since you are bringing up Clinton, I think its informative to point out that he is not staying out of the way in the same way that Bush has. To the contrary, Bush and Bill Clinton while similar in private fundraising activities, have differed substantially in their public campaign activities. Clinton has for some time been quite in demand for public appearances at all levels of campaigns - congressional gubernatorial and presidential, which may reflect the level of pride democrats have of his record as president. On the other hand, McCain and congressional republicans often seem quite reluctant to associate themselves publicly with Bush, lending an impression, justified or not, that they are embarrassed of his performance.
    The article you cited is actually the one that brought up Bill concerning the original topic. But, Bill is held in the eyes of many Dems much the same way that Ronald is respected and praised by many Reps. This does not happen often. If you look back at history the next nearest one that comes to mind would be Kennedy if he had not been assassinated.

I agree McCain needs to find his balance politically with Bush due to his low approval ratings. This also brings to mind what the Dem nominee might do if Pelosi, the Speaker for Congress with an even lower approval rating than Bush, decides she wants to really help them out. Or if Jimmy Carter wanted to campaign for the Dem nominee as he is a political hot potato in many people's opinions. Endorsements and support from current / past political leaders can be very challenge for every candidate.
    Oh, gosh, Nancy Pelosi and Jimmy Carter. From a republican stand point, these 2 were left at the plate when the game started. Jindal is an up and coming start in the party, but as said above, he is just too new at this point. Crist, well, bunches of people are not too tickled with his fiscal leading in Florida - he has not been able to deliver. Barr - oh well.
    I was talking about when bill clinton was in the same spot as bush. Like bush, I did not see candidates lining up to have clinton campaign for them. Not even gore. Remember that? That was mess... should gore use clinton... should he not.... Gore is distancing himself from Clinton... gore is not. Gore needs clinton. Clinton is a distraction. It went on and on...

We are seeing the same thing with bush and mccain. A careful dance.

It was an equal comparison of clinton and bush (or that was my attempt).

Now everyone wants to use bill.... time has a way of healing old wounds...
    Theog -- Clinton was MUCH more popular than junior as he was leaving office.

Gore's "distancing" had much more to do with their personal dynamic (envy, jeolousy, anger, sense of betrayal, bitterness).

In retrospect its clear that Gore would have won by even more had he run for a third Clinton term.

But Gore is and was an independently great man entirely separate from Bill.

As much as anything, Gore wanted to win the Presidency through his own unique (but flawed) talents...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Gore an independently great man? Wow. Gore and his environmental stand are riding the coat tails of General Electric and a public lie. More than anything else, a sore looser nothing of substance to stand on.

Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    Theog -- Clinton was MUCH more popular than junior as he was leaving office.

Gore's "distancing" had much more to do with their personal dynamic (envy, jeolousy, anger, sense of betrayal, bitterness).

In retrospect its clear that Gore would have won by even more had he run for a third Clinton term.

But Gore is and was an independently great man entirely separate from Bill.

As much as anything, Gore wanted to win the Presidency through his own unique (but flawed) talents...
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Gore an independently great man? Wow. Gore and his environmental stand are riding the coat tails of General Electric and a public lie. More than anything else, a sore looser nothing of substance to stand on.
    Trashing Clinton, Gore, Carter, Pellosi etc. of course is an important republican campaign strategy too, so I suppose the thread is not veering off kilter after all.

Anyway, Ben, many people view Gore's environmental record
    Quote Originally Posted by electronique View Post
    quite differently
    In particular, . In other words, your environmental views are getting disenfranchised come January 2009.
  11.    #11  
    The republicans on this board don't know much about their candidate... actually I doubt if they even like their candidate... I've not heard a republican yet say, "I can't wait to vote for John McCain!"

It is more like, "What are my options? McCain or Obama? Guess I'll vote McCain."

You ask republicans if they know mccain's policies... they say, "His policies have to be better than any Democrat."

Clueless.... lol... very clueless....

McCain: I'm a proud conservative liberal Republican: http://youtube.com/watch?v=edUuhfcJPzg (just for fun... it was funny.)

But I thought we had already covered your thread... mccain is going into private meetings for fundraising.. most here (including myself) seem to think it is ok.... I also think everyone answered your questions presented in the first post.... lol... then we kinda carried on with the conversation.... lol
    We were talking about Bush's private fundraising activities, not McCain's but otherwise yes, this issue got discussed. I was hoping the thread could evolve into a general discussion of republican campaign strategies, but I will not worry about shepherding the thread in this direction if people dont want to talk about this.

I see that you brought up the same point that I was making to Ben, and I think its important: that many republicans feel McCain does not stand for them on the issues that they care about. This is something that McCain needs to deal with, that is - apathy and low turnout from his party.

I know we all love to bash Hillary, and Carter etc. But I think we both agree that whipping up a frenzy about Hillary is not going to be a motivator for GOP voters come the fall because she will be out of the race soon. Do you think just harping on Obama's assciations with Wright, and on his liberal record will be enough to motivate republicans to turn out in large numbers come the fall elections? Or what else can McCain do?
  12.    #12  
    As I said....

But I will say this... you have to WATCH McCain. Next week you will find a video that was taped this weekend where he states that Global Warming is not real.

He goes back and forth like that....
    If you can find a source in which he says he does not believe global warming, please let me know, as that would be news to me. Other evidence includes his calling drilling in the arctic "disgraceful" while voting against it, and repeated ripping into Bush's global warming policies even as late as last week. He wants to turn the Environmental Protection Agency into a cabinet level position and he's a member of the Honorary board of the Republicans for Environmental Protection organization. He wants to limit carbon emissions of business and industry using a cap and trade system. Sure he does not follow the Sierra Club on every issue but compared to most republicans he is quite the environmental activist.
    electronique....I just tried to PM you but I couldn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    2) Dems run Obama/Clinton
    This is not going to happen.
    My big objection to McCain is d.Due to his environmental record and statements. A major factor leading to the demise of the Soviet Union was petroleum.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    This is not going to happen.
    One can only hope you're right. That ticket and Barr running as a Libertarian would leave me no options in this race.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...