Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    What benefits are being withheld? Proposed benefits?
    in general, benefits comparable to what Vets got after WW2 (and Korea and Viet Nam): full payment of their educational expense at any 4 year in state public college following the end of their enlistment.

(I'm unsure of the specifics -- these may not be precisely the benefits that Vietnam, Korea, and WW2 vets got)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    From my reading, most of these stories going around about the Iraqi interpreters are rather old, are they not? There is one link I found that is from this year - http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0225/p02s04-usmi.html.

From what I have seen, I found nothing preventing their immigration here. From the above article:

The United States responded by increasing from 50 to 500 the annual number of interpreters from Iraq and Afghanistan who were allowed to immigrate here in the past two fiscal years. Wadi was one of 1,880 applicants for the slots, immigration officials say.

They are not being prevented...

Ben
    Ok, I was not aware there were any changes. I work with a vet from this war and will ask her.

-----------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    in general, benefits comparable to what Vets got after WW2 (and Korea and Viet Nam): full payment of their educational expense at any 4 year in state public college following the end of their enlistment.

(I'm unsure of the specifics -- these may not be precisely the benefits that Vietnam, Korea, and WW2 vets got)
    From my reading, most of these stories going around about the Iraqi interpreters are rather old, are they not? There is one link I found that is from this year - http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0225/p02s04-usmi.html.

From what I have seen, I found nothing preventing their immigration here. From the above article:

The United States responded by increasing from 50 to 500 the annual number of interpreters from Iraq and Afghanistan who were allowed to immigrate here in the past two fiscal years. Wadi was one of 1,880 applicants for the slots, immigration officials say.

They are not being prevented...

Ben
    I will try to find you a link to 60 min. story run Sunday -- try to watch it with an unclosed mind -- I doubt that even you would not be both stunned and appalled by how they are being used, disposed of, and abandoned by the US.

Despite heroic efforts by indivual americans who know of the their specific sacrifices, this administration has done everything it can to prevent them from coming here.

One of an endless list of moral horrors of this GOP junta who have destroyed nearly everything they've touched...
    Couple of things... but you can start with the GI Bill. Although, bush & Co. do have some valid points against the bill. Well, not that valid, but concerns.

Of course, McCain jumped in with a BS bill that I don't agree with... the first is much better.

You are not keeping on top of this stuff.

Instead of running around foaming at the mouth every morning with the image of obama out there actively campaigning and making progress.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Bayre, I did my time back in the 70s, so I am not immune to it. I worked for an independent company supporting a couple of weapon systems and spent time in southeast Asia. I was in the field and was involved in action that I will never forget. I do support our troops. Some had problems, most did not and that is the same today. Some have problems, most come back and adjust without serious problems.

Also, 60 minutes has an agenda; you will never see anything they do that is unbiased when it comes to politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post

Not full expenses... only "some" money. Trust me, I still had to work full time while going to school. The money did help... NO COMPLAINTS from me on that. Only stating a fact that it was not enough to live off.

I think my payment started at around $900 per month when I started... when I finished school it was around $1100 per month or so (I'm guessing here....).

But considering I only put $1200 in when I first joined the military, I was able to get my money back.

But no, it is not "full payment." A lot of people think this...

I got lucky and scored a job at the school for my BA... my school was free, so I was able to not use the gi bill (you only get 36 months). When I went for my mba, I used it to help pay bills and I worked on my business... but it was hard to go to school full time and work a business... got no sleep but I managed. Anyway, I ended school with three months or so left on my gi bill.

The money did help... but after bills (rent/food/etc) and the cost of school, you still end up with loans.

edit: Matter of fact, here are the payment rates.... http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/rates.htm

I was off... I was making under $700 starting off and cracked a little over $1000 when I left...
    Last edited by theog; 05/20/2008 at 01:57 AM.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    And you are a prime example of someone who got by without a whole lot of help from the government. Now, with the effort you put forth, I bet you are proud of what you achieved. Government should not be there to replace a good work ethic. When one tries, one gets a whole lot further than just taking handouts from the government.
    Bayre, I did my time back in the 70s, so I am not immune to it. I worked for an independent company supporting a couple of weapon systems and spent time in southeast Asia. I was in the field and was involved in action that I will never forget. I do support our troops. Some had problems, most did not and that is the same today. Some have problems, most come back and adjust without serious problems.

Also, 60 minutes has an agenda; you will never see anything they do that is unbiased when it comes to politics.
    Part of the story is excerpted on their site (unforgivably, the FULL Bon Jovi piece is provided).

The full text is there it seems though -- so you can read what is not available in the video.

(Everyone -- even CBS News) has a point of view -- part of intelligence is understanding what someone else says while not shutting out their information because of being afraid of their point of view. Facts and truth don't only originate from our friends...)
    Last edited by BARYE; 05/20/2008 at 04:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Did this whole thing turn out to be a lie anyways?
    Not clear. There is a photo of him with a golf cart that is said to be fairly recent. Who knows?

It seems to me that the problem is not so much whether or not he is playing but the claim of "sacrifice."
    Up the next election, my citizens; always the next election.
    Remains to be seen. His position is that he will veto the whole bill in the name of "economy." The intent of the bill is to give the veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan benefits on par with those given to the veterans of WWII. Of course, millions got those benefits; we are only talking about hundreds of thousands.

The burden of death and injury in WWII was equitably spread across the whole population. There were three Blue Star Mothers and a Gold Star Mother on my block. The entire family of a US POW lived with us for more than a year.

In this war, the burden of death and injury is carried by a tiny minority of us. Money is the least we can give them. The cost of this war is already so outrageous that the cost of veterans benefits cannot move it.

Withholding benefits in the name of economy or any other name is simply mean. Having sent troops into this war, he should be championing their benefits, not casting lots over them.
    Up the next election, my citizens; always the next election.
    And you are a prime example of someone who got by without a whole lot of help from the government. Now, with the effort you put forth, I bet you are proud of what you achieved. Government should not be there to replace a good work ethic. When one tries, one gets a whole lot further than just taking handouts from the government.

Fortunately for me I've always looked to improve myself and my situation. Some people get stuck in a particular holding pattern and can't seem to break free. Some people won't embrace change unless it is forced upon them. Even then, they resist.

I believe one gets further in life if they look to improve themselves over time. One part of this is replacing hate for other races with love and empathy for your fellow man.

It is like those guys in GA selling T shirts with obama's name under a picture of Curious George (monkey). The guy is the first to claim he is not being racist. How come racist are the first to claim they are not being racist? It is strange to me.

Some people can't help but show their displeasure for obama, his wife, and their kids. It is shameful that people must go to such levels to attempt to discredit the man. When you have that much hate in your heart, you know no better.

I also don't mind people receiving handouts from the govt as long as they are attempting to improve themselves or their family. Of course you will always have people who abuse the system, and most people focus on those individuals instead of the people the program helps. But then there is normally an ulterior motive behind making such comments against "gov't handouts" anyway....
    Last edited by theog; 05/20/2008 at 05:49 PM.
    And you are to be congratulated. However, Theog, why did you insert race in to your response? There are people of color who make it very well on their own, as the Obamas have. There are others that do as well, very, very highly educated people and they did it on their own.

Displeasure for Obama, his wife and kids? Do not look at me with that statement. I have said and will again say my only problem with him and his wife are their politics. Discredit the man? He does that very well on his own. Theog, we went for over a year with nothing on this man. Everything we are hearing/reading, et cetera on this man should have come out last year and dealt with at that time. However, it was not. When brought up, it was swept under the rug. Look at Hillary - her dirt was talked about long, long ago. Look at McCain, his dirt was talked about long, long ago. Look at Obama - only now.

Again, he is discredit himself, not the other way around. As for abuse, look at Obama's history. He must have known what was going on - look at the history of his land purchases, who he associated with, the list. Put yourself in a similar position and tell me that you did not know...I might believe you, I do not believe him and it is not racial at all. I vote on issues, not sex or race.
    And you are to be congratulated. However, Theog, why did you insert race in to your response? There are people of color who make it very well on their own, as the Obamas have. There are others that do as well, very, very highly educated people and they did it on their own.
    Yes, "people of color."

You are a classic... I love it....

Displeasure for Obama, his wife and kids? Do not look at me with that statement. I have said and will again say my only problem with him and his wife are their politics. Discredit the man? He does that very well on his own. Theog, we went for over a year with nothing on this man. Everything we are hearing/reading, et cetera on this man should have come out last year and dealt with at that time. However, it was not. When brought up, it was swept under the rug. Look at Hillary - her dirt was talked about long, long ago. Look at McCain, his dirt was talked about long, long ago. Look at Obama - only now.
    Problem is you can't find any "real" dirt on obama.... the stuff you bring up is childish and comical... Well, very light compared to the stuff that mccain has in his past or any of the other candidates....

I do not believe him and it is not racial at all.
    Right...

I vote on issues, not sex or race.
    How does Obama's middle name fit in those two categories?

Guess you forgot about that....

Of course, you avoided the question when asked about it... seems you selectively forget to answer questions that make you explain your comments.

But now you attempt to explain yourself.

Ben, are you feeling guilty about something?

You can chat with me... I'm here to help you release your pain and anger.
    Last edited by theog; 05/21/2008 at 03:07 AM.
    If you had read the post closer you would have seen the answer. The answer is plainly given.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123