View Poll Results: Ever spill anything on your laptop?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - had to get it repaired/replaced

0 0%
  • Yes - Still works like a champ!

8 53.33%
  • I have a restraining order against drinks being near my laptop

3 20.00%
  • Laptops are for weenies - I just lug my desktop around

4 26.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A friend of mine when he was at college spilled beer on his laptop. Some sort of thing grew as a result in the areas. This resulted in the destruction of the motherboard. This resulted in a new laptop.

This is what I'm basing it off of. Remembering my Biology lab way back when, Yeast DOES crap out pretty early. And from what I do remember, it can lead to damage. hmm.
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    Originally posted by bblue:
    A friend of mine when he was at college spilled beer on his laptop. Some sort of thing grew as a result in the areas. This resulted in the destruction of the motherboard. This resulted in a new laptop.

That may very well have happened, but it wasn't the yeast (not yeast from the beer anyway). Some mold or fungus must have taken hold.

This is what I'm basing it off of. Remembering my Biology lab way back when, Yeast DOES crap out pretty early. And from what I do remember, it can lead to damage. hmm.

What damage is going to be caused by yeast from beer?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    It probably wasn't yeast growing. It was most likely some kind of mold or spore. Beer is a rich, tasty substance to many simple creatures- not just college students.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to clean it out IF the beer got inside, unless Apple specifically No-nos such behavior.

(what a quandary! "I'm sorry opening your case will void your warranty, no beer spillage is not covered by your warranty. Thank you for calling Apple, have a nice day!")

Michael
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
    Originally posted by homer
    You did the right thing...wipe it clean and use a hair dryer.

A friend that used to work for a computer repair firm would take soiled laptop keyboards and just throw them into a pan of soapy water for a bit. Rinse it, hairdry it, and stick it back in.

He said it works fine to fix soda-spills.
    Do you think the Stowaway would survive something similar? (Don't need to know now, I'll just file it away for future reference!)
    Originally posted by miradu2000
    All you people are your adult drinks.. tsk tsk! I guess I haven't been allowed to develop a taste for them yet :-D It's cherry coke for me..
    You mean, Jolt Soda (programmer food) isn't for adults? Well I guess it's NEVER too late to have a happy childhood......

I've run a few desktop keyboards thru the sink in my day!!
    <div align="left"><font size="+2" color="#FF8000">Mike</font>
    <hr width="200">
    <font color="Red"><i>Programming is the struggle between programmers<br> building bigger and better ***** proof systems<br> and the universe building bigger and better idiots</i></font>
    <hr width="200">
    <b><a href="http://enhanceyourlife.com">http://enhanceyourlife.com</a><br>
    <a href="http://www.furrbrain.com">http://www.furrbrain.com</a></b></div>
    I remember my sister spilling a very tiny amount of Water on a DELL keyboard, and having it destroyed for life.
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    Originally posted by JHromadka
    ...Beer..which spilled over the top left corner of my PBG4...During the repair my screen's graphics kept getting screwy and flickering...the graphics started wigging out big time!
    Isn't it obvious what happened? You got OS X drunk!!!
    slightly off topic (but then this is the off topic forum ), but I had a laptop stolen. thank god for renter's insurance. whew.

yeah, i wrote that ...
    Originally posted by bblue:
    I remember my sister spilling a very tiny amount of Water on a DELL keyboard, and having it destroyed for life.

It depends on how quickly you cut power. I've saved keyboards from coffee, soda, etc. before with no damage. OTOH, I've also been unable to save them from those things. It all depends on how quickly the keyboard to chair interface reacts.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12