1.    #1  
    Okay, I realize the two aren't quite the same though honesty will state that both often congregate together to some degree.

Having said that are there any conservatives or republicans here?
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
    Maybe......

Quote Originally Posted by DL.Cummings View Post
    Having said that are there any conservatives or republicans here?
    Yes and yes.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Most definitely....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Yes - Fiscal Conservative. No - Ex-Republican.

Fiscal conservatism has long left the GOP.
    meaning is there anyone here who believes in leadership ??

in the honesty and purity of an iron fist ??

in the liberating comfort of tyranny ??

Absolutely.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    meaning is there anyone here who believes in leadership ??

in the honesty and purity of an iron fist ??

in the liberating comfort of tyranny ??

Absolutely.
    You have got to be one of the most intriguing posters I've come across in some time. I do appreciate your style even though I may disagree with your point(s).

I am conservative in some respects (governments should be a small as possible and infringe upon the lives of the people in the smallest doses possible), but I don't find that to be what people connote by 'Conservative' or 'Republican' at this point in time.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Well this chart sums up why I don't think Republicans are conservatives at all. Nixon was the last Republican to be a fiscal conservative and Ford held the line pretty well while he was in office. But fiscal conservativism and the Republican party parted ways in the Reagan years and the GOP hasn't looked back since.

Hmm. I suspect a large part of the increases is driven by Defense spending.

And since the budget and the tax laws are passed by Congress, it would be useful to look at this based on who controlled Congress. The Democrats controlled the House for forty years from 1955 through 1994. And Democrats controlled both the House and Senate from 1987 through 1994. Republicans controlled both the House and Senate from 1995 through 2006.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Hmm. I suspect a large part of the increases is driven by Defense spending.

And since the budget and the tax laws are passed by Congress, it would be useful to look at this based on who controlled Congress. The Democrats controlled the House for forty years from 1955 through 1994. And Democrats controlled both the House and Senate from 1987 through 1994. Republicans controlled both the House and Senate from 1995 through 2006.
    I would agree, it is useful to consider Congress. But since "personal responsibility" seems to be a center-piece of right-wing dogma, I think they'd agree the buck stops at the White House. He is, afterall, the "decider".

Now were Democratically controlled Congresses complicent in increasing the national debt? You betchya. In fact, they're doing it right now by rolling over and doing nearly as little as their Republican predecessors to reel in this President and his wreckless spending.

My mind remains unchanged - Republicans are not fiscal conservatives and the "myth" that Democrats are worse than Republicans in this regard is just that - a myth.
  12.    #12  
    Let's be a bit more fair here shall we? We should delineate between two types of Republicans: those in office and those not in office (sorry no snappy monikers ).

The chart above really describes those in office and not necessarily those not in office. I understand it was the ones not in office who are ultimately responsible . . . but that's really a different story.

At the very least the chart seems to solidify my choice of Obama for President. The formula of a Democratic President and mixed or opposing houses seems to have yielded the best results for the country by far.

My preference - Pelosi loses the house and her seat. Reid can go too and I wouldn't cry. But I'd want Obama as President to make it all balance out nicely.
    A more valuable chart would be expenditures and taxes. While debt increases are certainly bad, not increasing the debt by increasing taxes isn't necessarily good in my opinion either. The real problem with government is the entitlement mentality where certain expenditures become a 'third rail'. Neither Republicans _or_ Democrats are willing to touch upon such issues.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Well this chart sums up why I don't think Republicans are conservatives at all. Nixon was the last Republican to be a fiscal conservative and Ford held the line pretty well while he was in office. But fiscal conservativism and the Republican party parted ways in the Reagan years and the GOP hasn't looked back since.

this illustrates so much.

Both raygun's and junior's economic "booms" were bought with high rate credit cards.

junior massively borrowed to pay for his iraq calamity -- while cutting taxes on his rich friends and oil companies. This will be remembered as another key part of the worst presidency in american history.

And the congress (Senate and House) was entirely gop controled for most of his term -- (and he used 9-11 to intimidate and get what he wanted in the early years when the dems had a tiny Senate plurality)
    Last edited by BARYE; 03/28/2008 at 11:08 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    A more valuable chart would be expenditures and taxes. While debt increases are certainly bad, not increasing the debt by increasing taxes isn't necessarily good in my opinion either. The real problem with government is the entitlement mentality where certain expenditures become a 'third rail'. Neither Republicans _or_ Democrats are willing to touch upon such issues.

Here are the tax rates; although I admit it lacks in eye-candy, the information is still worthwhile.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/blog/show/22958.html

Quote Originally Posted by DL.Cummings View Post
    Here are the tax rates; although I admit it lacks in eye-candy, the information is still worthwhile.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/blog/show/22958.html
    Even more worthwhile if the President also reduced spending. To reduce revenues while simultaneously sharply increasing spending gave Bush tremendous "political capital" (as Bush himself put it) but has obviously not worked out too well for us. But the American voter (read: suckers) fall for promises of tax cuts every time. It is snake oil that politicians have peddled for thousands of years and rarely does it work out (simply because most politicians cannot stop spending), yet, if McCain promises to cut taxes, he'll get elected.