Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    I may not be the smartest creature in the jungle -- but when it comes to my friends and technology, (and I hope they don’t read this, but I have to say it): the sad truth is that they’re monkeys.

    So sometimes when I’m not preparing my inevitable conquest of the planet, I offer tech help to others.

    But I confess I know almost nothing about MSExchange.

    My problem began when I’m visiting the office of a friend, a low budget non-profit -- and I’m noticing that their network and internet access is molasses slow. I confidently offer to try and make a quick attempt to make it better. (I’m not asked -- I volunteer...)

    I unplug the DSL modem, the router, and restart the server (which runs Windows 2000 Server edition).

    As the server slowly powers down, I begin to have feelings of dread and regret for what I’d done.

    I wait for about a minute, power up the DSL modem, the router, the switch, and then the Server.

    No connectivity. Oh Oh.

    Rinse and repeat. Same unhappy result.

    I call the ISP and they eventually provide me with the all specifics: IP addresses, subnet masks, default gateway, primary & secondary DNS server etc etc.

    I modify the server’s TCP/IP with all this stuff and the server is able to get online. But horribly, the rest of the PCs on the network are still dead.

    I notice a weird error message on the server warning me that the disk is full. I try to open the management console to view the error log -- but can’t until I delete some files.

    Eventually I get into the management console’s event viewer, and see lots of error messages (some that I’ve pasted below.)

    But frustratingly I can’t get the DHCP or DNS stuff to work -- nor do I really know what to do. I’m assuming the problem somehow originates with MSEchange and that this is a domain server (running Windows 2000 Server edition).

    Any PC configured to obtain an IP address automatically is dead when attached to the switch, to the Linksys router, or even directly to the modem/router.

    I spent 3-4 hours with Linksys troubleshooting their router -- unsuccessfully attempting to get it to link to the server or the modem/router. But it wouldn’t unless it was assigned a static IP address. Linksys eventually said that it seemed like their router was malfunctioning and are shipping a replacement. But I don’t think they’re right, since I’ve had the same outcome with another router.

    Temporarily I’ve assigned each of the five static IP address they lease to the 5 most important PCs as an emergency life raft (which enables them to get online successfully).


    Any suggestions ?? (aside from BARYE permanently and forever shredding any and all geek cred ...)


    (btw, the server was set up long ago, and they don’t know how to contact the guy who did it).



    Event Viewer
    Application:
    Error Source MSEchangeSA MAPI Session
    Description:
    The MAPI call 'OpenMsgStore' failed with the following error:
    The attempt to log on to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer has failed.

    The MAPI provider failed.
    Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store
    ID no: 8004011d-0512-00000000

    Event Viewer
    Application:
    Error Source MSEchangeFBPublish General

    Error initializing session for virtual machine FF-DC-01. The error number is 0x8004011d. Make sure Microsoft Exchange Store is running.

    Event Viewer
    DNS Server:
    Error:
    Description:
    DNS Server has updated its own host (A) records. In order to insure that its DS-integrated peer DNS servers are able to replicate with this server, an attempt was made to update them with the new records through dynamic update. An error was encountered during this update, the record data is the error code.

    If this DNS server does not have any DS-integrated peers, then this error should be ignored.

    If this DNS server's ActiveDirectory replication partners do not have the correct IP address(es) for this server, they will be unable to replicate with it.

    To insure proper replication:
    1) Find this server's ActiveDirectory replication partners that run the DNS server.
    2) Open DnsManager and connect in turn to each of the replication partners.
    3) On each server, check the host (A record) registration for THIS server.
    4) Delete any A records that do NOT correspond to IP addresses of this server.
    5) If there are no A records for this server, add at least one A
    record corresponding to an address on this server, that the
    replication partner can contact. (In other words, if there multiple IP addresses for this DNS server, add at least one that is on the samenetwork as the ActiveDirectory DNS server you are updating.)
    6) Note, that is not necessary to update EVERY replication partner. It is only necessary that the records are fixed up on enough replication partners so that every server that replicates with this server will receive (through replication) the new data.


    Event Viewer
    DNS Server:
    Error:
    Description: The DNS server was unable to complete directory service enumeration of zone 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa. This DNS server is configured to use information obtained from Active Directory for this zone and is unable to load the zone without it. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly and repeat enumeration of the zone.
    The event data contains the error.


    Event Viewer
    DNS Server:
    Error:
    Description: The DNS server was unable to complete directory service enumeration of zone .. This DNS server is configured to use information obtained from Active Directory for this zone and is unable to load the zone without it. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly and repeat enumeration of the zone. The event data contains the error.


    Event Viewer
    System
    Dynamic registration or deregistration of one or more DNS records
    failed because no DNS servers are available


    Event Viewer
    System
    The DHCP service encountered the following error when backing up the database:
    An error occurred while accessing the DHCP database. Look at theDHCP server event log for more information on this error.

    The JET Database call returned the following error : -1808.
    Additional Debug Information: JetBackup.

    The master browser has received a server announcement from the
    computer DC-LAPTOP3 that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{22042D91-AEFA-410. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

    Dynamic registration or deregistration of one or more DNS records
    failed because no DNS servers are available.


    Service:

    DHCP Server Running Auto

    DNS Server Running Auto

    DNS Client Running Auto
    Last edited by BARYE; 03/21/2008 at 01:26 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  2. #2  
    Couple of questions:
    Which of your machine is the DHCP?
    Was the MSExchange server also configured as the DNS?
    Why is the DC-LAPTOP3 configured as the Master Browser (probably it was the first to be activated, out of the network)?
    First off, you need to get your PC's to get its IP address from the DHCP server. Also it would help to turn off the master browser from each of the PC's that is not the server.
  3. #3  
    Erm...so you just assigned five PCs and a Windows 2000 server static public IPs with no protection? Egad. Please, stop what you're doing and find a sympathetic IT person who can look at it in person. It's highly unlikely that anyone can give you the help you really need on this board as soon as you need it. Your problem isn't Exchange per se. Your problem is that the network apparently isn't working at a very basic level (OS, DHCP, DNS, etc.). If the server is out of/running low on disk space, this will prevent services from starting. The first priority will be finding out _why_ it's running low on disk space (logs building up unchecked, machine with virus/trojan/spyware filling up queues, server having been compromised and used as a pr0n repository, etc.). Second priority will be getting the basic services (DNS, DHCP, etc.) required for an AD server working once the integrity of the server has been resolved. Then you can move on to figuring out what's going on with Exchange. Most of those events you posted are generic events that don't mean much in really troubleshooting the problem. They're just telling you that certain services aren't working right. You need to figure out why, and given your questions, I can only assume you don't have the experience base to do it as quickly as you really need to. Please, disconnect their machines from the Internet and find someone that does have the experience base to look at it.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Couple of questions:
    Which of your machine is the DHCP?
    Was the MSExchange server also configured as the DNS?
    Why is the DC-LAPTOP3 configured as the Master Browser (probably it was the first to be activated, out of the network)?
    First off, you need to get your PC's to get its IP address from the DHCP server. Also it would help to turn off the master browser from each of the PC's that is not the server.
    thanks for looking to help Ronbo -- I'll be over at that site in about 1-2 hours,

    I can post here or IM you guys if you're free -- thanks
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Erm...so you just assigned five PCs and a Windows 2000 server static public IPs with no protection? Egad. Please, stop what you're doing and find a sympathetic IT person who can look at it in person. It's highly unlikely that anyone can give you the help you really need on this board as soon as you need it. Your problem isn't Exchange per se. Your problem is that the network apparently isn't working at a very basic level (OS, DHCP, DNS, etc.). If the server is out of/running low on disk space, this will prevent services from starting. The first priority will be finding out _why_ it's running low on disk space (logs building up unchecked, machine with virus/trojan/spyware filling up queues, server having been compromised and used as a pr0n repository, etc.). Second priority will be getting the basic services (DNS, DHCP, etc.) required for an AD server working once the integrity of the server has been resolved. Then you can move on to figuring out what's going on with Exchange. Most of those events you posted are generic events that don't mean much in really troubleshooting the problem. They're just telling you that certain services aren't working right. You need to figure out why, and given your questions, I can only assume you don't have the experience base to do it as quickly as you really need to. Please, disconnect their machines from the Internet and find someone that does have the experience base to look at it.

    Toby -- I don't have access to a more competent IT guy just now -- so any help will be MUCH appreciated !!
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  6. #6  
    I gave you a starting point. Unless your buddies are in the Raleigh-Durham area, that's about the best I can do this weekend.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I gave you a starting point. Unless your buddies are in the Raleigh-Durham area, that's about the best I can do this weekend.
    Thanks Toby -- but its moot at least for now because the isp is unable to access their modem remotely. None of their passwords work -- nor any of the passwords that I've seen. (together we tried passwords for maybe 3 hours).

    They had reset IP addresses (because of miscommunication) and then needed to be able to remotely access their modem to complete that process.

    For some reason they can't restore the original ip addresses, nor without access to the modem, can they complete the configuration for the new.

    And there's something about this particular (old) modem that makes it liable to turn into a paperweight when its paperclipped (reset). So they might need to make a service call to replace it. As a result there's currently NO net access there. BARYE unhappy. Today BARYE has become barye...
    Last edited by BARYE; 03/22/2008 at 02:30 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  8. #8  
    Sorry about that. It is an ackward time for me to assist, preparing for Easter.

    What bothers me is that the ISP need access to their modem? I just wished these highspeed modems should not be propietary devices anymore.

    When I had DSL problem, my ISP tested the modem response remotely, had me turned it off and on. Then they asked me a couple of questions about the ***** lights status. After a while, they said they could not figure out what's wrong, they decided it was a very old modem (10 years) and sent me a replacement DSL modem and ask me to send to send back the old one. From there it is just plug and it works.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Sorry about that. It is an ackward time for me to assist, preparing for Easter.

    What bothers me is that the ISP need access to their modem? I just wished these highspeed modems should not be propietary devices anymore.

    When I had DSL problem, my ISP tested the modem response remotely, had me turned it off and on. Then they asked me a couple of questions about the ***** lights status. After a while, they said they could not figure out what's wrong, they decided it was a very old modem (10 years) and sent me a replacement DSL modem and ask me to send to send back the old one. From there it is just plug and it works.
    no worries ronbo -- I'm about to go over there again and make one more attempt with the isp to try and get in ---

    maybe I'll add more to this tale later ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    Thanks Toby -- but its moot at least for now because the isp is unable to access their modem remotely. None of their passwords work -- nor any of the passwords that I've seen. (together we tried passwords for maybe 3 hours).
    Being it's Easter weekend and I'm getting ready to leave on a trip to NC tomorrow, I can't offer interactive help, but you really need to make sure that several things are happening before the cable company sends someone out (not that it will stop them from getting a modem working, but to make sure that everything comes back up when the modem's replaced):
    1) Make sure the server is working correctly. It will have undoubtedly had a static private address before (e.g. 192.168.1.10). Hopefully you recorded it before you started changing things. Get it working where it can boot and all the necessary services are started (everything with a startup type of Automatic should be started with the possible exception of the Performance Logs). A good place to look is in the Administrative Tools Program Group. If it had DHCP installed before, the scope should still be defined and it should be listed as the DNS server in the Scope Options.
    2) After the server is working, you'll want to make sure the router (assuming it's some sort of SOHO type 'router' a la Linksys or Netgear) is operational. If it was running DHCP before, make sure that it's assigning the internal server as the DNS server and that the internal DNS is forwarding DNS to the ISP's servers.
    3) After the server and router are working in tandem, make sure that the workstations can get an internal IP from DHCP and see both the server and the router. The ping command is your friend.
    4) Once the internal stuff is working, you can move on to configuring the router as necessary. It will need a public IP, subnet mask, and gateway. You will also undoubtedly need to configure NAT and port forwarding to allow smtp, http, and possibly pop3 and https depending on their Exchange configuration. These will be forwarded from the public IP assigned to the exchange server to the private IP assigned to the exchange server. You can find the public IP using dnsstuff.com (I'm assuming you're not familiar enough with nslookup to do it manually). Go to their DNS lookup tool, switch the lookup type to MX and type in their domain name. It should give you the name and IP address which handles their mail. Make sure this is the IP address you NAT to the internal server.
    5) After all that is done, you can test it by assigning a laptop the IP address and subnet mask that is supposed to be your default route on the outside and connecting it to the WAN port on the router. If you can get to the mail or http port using the outside IP of the Exchange server, you know that when the cable modem is changed, you should be back in business.

    HTH
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Being it's Easter weekend and I'm getting ready to leave on a trip to NC tomorrow, I can't offer interactive help, but you really need to make sure that several things are happening before the cable company sends someone out (not that it will stop them from getting a modem working, but to make sure that everything comes back up when the modem's replaced...
    MUCH thanks Toby --

    (after his inevitable conquest of the planet, BARYE will remember his friends ...)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  12.    #12  
    just a brief follow up --

    the ISP came with a new modem -- (after a couple of days discussion as to whether their service call was free or not).

    Linksys shipped me a new router.

    Hooked the new router to the new modem, got the Linksys to accept a new static IP address, set all the PCs on the network to obtain automatic IP/DNS etc. ...

    Everything works.

    Except the server. I tried setting the server to auto IP, and even assigned it a static IP address. nuthin.

    Within scope there's an IP address that I don't recognize -- its 199.?.?.?

    Its not in the range of either the old or new IPs (both are 121.?.?.?)

    This is an old sick server -- and there are maybe maintenance and corruption issues which are beyond fixing. Not sure yet since I didn't have the time or energy to work on it further that night.

    BTW -- within device manager I've noticed that there's a second network adapter, and its not working.

    I've basically set aside the server/MSExchange thing for now.

    What surprises me is that weirdly, they say they're getting their email -- since I had thought that the server was responsible for that.
    Last edited by BARYE; 03/28/2008 at 04:50 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)

Posting Permissions