1.    #1  
    Help,,,, Ive had a major system failure. I downloaded a few "speed up XP" freware applications, canged a few things in the registry and disabled a bunch of stuff in administrative tools. No everthing is borken,,,,, I can just reimage the hard drive but I have 4gb of family pictures going back to when all my daughters were born. I cant write them to a cd, or drop them on a memory card,,,,,, nothing on the computer works.....

i dont want to pay a computer tech a hundred buck and leave my computer for days......

I think this will be an easy fix if I can just upload this 4gb zipped folder to a server.....

Where can I upload it?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    Help,,,, Ive had a major system failure. I downloaded a few "speed up XP" freware applications, canged a few things in the registry and disabled a bunch of stuff in administrative tools. No everthing is borken,,,,, I can just reimage the hard drive but I have 4gb of family pictures going back to when all my daughters were born. I cant write them to a cd, or drop them on a memory card,,,,,, nothing on the computer works.....

i dont want to pay a computer tech a hundred buck and leave my computer for days......

I think this will be an easy fix if I can just upload this 4gb zipped folder to a server.....

Where can I upload it?
    Hmmm, not sure about uploading such a massive amount of data to the internet. Although here are a few ideas off the top of my head:

1. Purchase server space as if you were going to set up a website and upload your data there. Shouldn't be too expensive from somewhere like godaddy.com or something. Also, I might suggest breaking up your file into maybe 4 or 8 different files rather than one single file. If that file becomes corrupt then you have lost everything. Different files will limit the loss if one becomes corrupt.
    2. Using GParted (a live cd that will partition your hard drive), you can create a separare partition on your PC before you start over. Then you can use that partition to store on, untouched, while restoring Windows on the other partition.
    3. Go to a PC store and purchase a cheap 10 or 20 gig hard drive and install Windows on that one, using your current one as a secondary hard drive.

Of course you could do all three as well to increase your chances of success.

Hope this helps
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM

Where can I upload it?
    try these sites:

http://backup.fabrik.com/registration/ (they give 2gb for free)

http://www.carbonite.com/ ($50 yr -- unlimited ??)

you can also store into your gmail account --

or buy a WD Passport USB drive -- 80gb-320gb drives are beautiful, inexpensive and extraordinarily useful
    Last edited by BARYE; 03/14/2008 at 02:14 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the replies,,,,,, i was in a rush to fix it before the wife got home.

I called a computer buddy and he said that I must have turned of a vital function in the services tab......... he was right. Im going to put the family album onto a disk then re-image the hard drive.

Thanks guys.
  5.    #5  
    I guess I need to start backing up the hard drive so I'll never run the risk of loosing the family pictures.
    I guess I need to start backing up the hard drive so I'll never run the risk of loosing the family pictures.
    I always use a physically different one for storage or partition if I have only one. While not fool proof, it does provide a backup in case you get a nasty virus or some other such problem resulting in an OS reinstall.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts

Where can I upload it?
    I use Amazon's S3 service. It's really very low cost ($0.15 per GB-Month of storage used) and easy to setup/access via JungleDisk ($20 one time charge with lifetime updates).

I just uploaded about 6 GB of data. JungleDisk has a nice backup feature. So every evening it uploads only the changes from my laptop to Amazon. There's also a USB stick version so that you can access your data securely from anywhere in the world (via SSL login and encrypted data transfer).

Cheers.
    I am using carbonite that Barye linked to above. I use it because it unlimited. And so far I really like it. I am actually backing up...okay I am embarrased to say...87 GB. It is has already backed up 23 GB so far. The reason for such a large amount is that I am into photography and computer generated graphics and art (i.e. wirefram renderings, etc..). All of these files are pretty large, so it really does not take much to add up to a lot. Once it is FINALLY completed then it only updated anything that is changed or added.