Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Yet ANOTHER fine example of the climate of hypocrisy created by some of our so-called "politicians of and for the people"

"Spitzer, 48, built his political reputation on "ROOTING OUT CORRUPTION", including several headline-making battles with Wall Street while serving as attorney general. He stormed into the governor's office in 2006 with a historic share of the vote, vowing to continue his "NO-NONSENSE" approach to FIXING ONE OF THE NATION`S WORST GOVERNMENTS.

Time magazine had named him "Crusader of the Year" when he was attorney general and the tabloids proclaimed him "Eliot Ness."

But his stint as governor has been marred by several problems, including an unpopular plan to grant driver's licenses to illegal immigrants and a plot by his aides to smear Spitzer's main Republican nemesis.

Spitzer had been expected to testify to the state Public Integrity Commission he had created to answer for his role in the scandal, in which his aides were accused of misusing state police to compile travel records to embarrass Senate Republican leader Joseph Bruno"......

From Elliot Ness to just another sanctimonious clown. This offers a glance into the characters of those who would have us believe that incompetence and corruption in today`s politics are problems to be found exclusively with the republican party. Clearly, we see that is not the case. He does the likes of ole Billy Clinton, Jim McGreevey and many others proud here, no doubt. If a golden boy like Spitzer is guilty of these insincerities, I wonder how many others are out there waiting to be exposed.

Pfft. "Do as I say not as I do" -is an appropriate slogan. I think the campaign song should also be something appropriate. Something along the lines of Ray Charles` "Mess Around".

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080310/...r_prostitution
    Last edited by logmein; 03/10/2008 at 04:18 PM.
    Truly stunning story. I cannot believe that politicians continue to be soooooo stupid and arrogant enough to think they can get away with using hookers (or soliciting gay sex with page boys, men in bathroom stalls, etc.) without getting caught. Amazing yet terribly sad - he did a lot of good work as attorney general. Can't say the same about his work as governor...

Now I can only hope he resigns and quickly. If he has been indicted and is freely admitting he broke the law to have sex with hookers then he needs to go. This is more than a mere xtra-marital affair; he broke the law and now he must step down.
    Ain't it great!!

It's just a guess here, but I suspect he got bit by the "do as I say, don't do as I do" thing.

Ain't Spitzer a Democrat?

It kind of reminds me of the Washington DC Mayor getting caught in the drug sting a few years ago.

Ain't he a Democrat too? Nuf said....

excuse me -- but paying for consential sex is not the same as selling your vote to a lobbyist on behalf of gambling interests.

Its not even the same as being a santimonious evangelical preacher who rails about homos while paying to have gay sex

Or of catholic priests who preach of about the sanctity of marriage between men and women while raping choir boys.

repugnicans are unbelievably hot and wet to find any democratic immorality that somehow compares to theirs.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Democrat or not, I agree with moderateinny regarding the arrogance and stupidity.

I hope they all get exposed regardless of party affiliation.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    Its not even the same as being a santimonious evangelical preacher who rails about homos while paying to have gay sex

Or of catholic priests who preach of about the sanctity of marriage between men and women while raping choir boys.
    Spitzer was going about busting prostitution rings while soliciting them himself. So the same standards (or lack thereof) apply here.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    Ain't it great!!

It's just a guess here, but I suspect he got bit by the "do as I say, don't do as I do" thing.

It kind of reminds me of the Washington DC Mayor getting caught in the drug sting a few years ago.

Ain't he?

You know, I purposely avoided that type of rhetoric but I see it was unavoidable on this forum. Shame really.

The guy is a hypocrite and should resign. As should all hypocritcal politicians. But particularily those that wrap themselves in the Shroud of Turin and practice their politics in church pews (read: Right-wing Republicans).

Now if you'd like to start a thread about how many hypocritical Dems vs. hypocritical Republicans have been caught in sexually related misdeeds, feel free to start a new thread. For now, it would be nice to keep one of these threads clean of this type of pollution so we can keep the thread on topic.
    Last edited by moderateinny; 03/10/2008 at 09:53 PM.
    Clinton loses one more super delegate.
    Someone is sleeping on the couch tonight...

I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Clinton loses one more super delegate.
    I don't think he loses his super delegate status, unless the DNC takes it from him. Plenty of former politicos have SD status.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

I believe that they give SD status to former Presidents, VPs, Speakers of the House, and a few other positions. But I don't think they automatically make you super delegate if you're a former governor or ordinary member of Congress.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    I believe that they give SD status to former Presidents, VPs, Speakers of the House, and a few other positions. But I don't think they automatically make you super delegate if you're a former governor or ordinary member of Congress.
    "Unlike most convention delegates, the superdelegates are not selected based on the party primaries and caucuses in each U.S. state, in which voters choose among candidates for the party's presidential nomination. Instead, superdelegates are seated automatically, based solely on their status as current or former elected officeholders and party officials."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_delegate

-Jack Handy, SNL-

I should've kept reading:

Superdelegates to the 2008 Democratic National Convention include all Democratic members of the United States Congress, Democratic governors, various additional elected officials, members of the Democratic National Committee, as well as "all former Democratic Presidents, all former Democratic Vice Presidents, all former Democratic Leaders of the U.S. Senate, all former Democratic Speakers of the U.S. House of Representatives and Democratic Minority Leaders, as applicable, and all former Chairs of the Democratic National Committee."

-Jack Handy, SNL-

Yep and like the good Democrat he is, he will stay in power. What a man. To think he has the nerve to say it is not about the people - are we not a nation of people? What a guy. What a slob.

Ben
    Guess it is time for "plan b."

Obviously, "plan a" was to to be President or a Senator or something in government...

Plan B he stays in office for a while and gets his money right and jets to private practice making 100 times more than he is now. Staying in office *might* enable some protections on prosecution... but if this is his first offense he should get a slap on the wrist.

He is definitely a hypocrite... but financially he is still worth standing next to. lol

Wonder if Hillary will call her to provide advice?
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Yep and like the good Democrat he is, he will stay in power. What a man. To think he has the nerve to say it is not about the people - are we not a nation of people? What a guy. What a slob.

Ben
    David Vitter (R).
    I guess as long as he took no public money, everything he did is just fine. What a progressive way of looking at it. Ben
    This did not happen because he was a Democrat. This has to do with the man....and the consequences of his actions with the position he holds, the stance he has personally taken, and accountability of all the above.

Dems jump on the chance to point out when a GOP member gets caught in a scandal, sexual entanglement, questionable ethical behavior, etc...

I have seen Reps to the exact same thing on TV, the radio, here on this forum, etc... especially the last few days.

But in nearly every case of one side jumping on the the actions of another politician of the other party, there is very little acknowledgment that the same action happens on their side as well (or even willingness to even discuss it). If they do, it is usually something along the lines of "Yes, but they do it more, so we are not as bad". In other words, a little embezzlement or bribery is okay as long as the other side gets caught doing it more....it's okay then.

I think that every time something like this comes to light, and the one accused is found to be guilty and you noticed I did not say sentenced because I include admitting guilt to plea bargain out of a sentence as well, the party....either GOP or Dem....should demand they step aside and resign. Corruption will always go hand in hand with politicians the way our system is currently set up and runs. But when the comes light, the party should not remain supportive of these actions by remaining silent...or even openly supportive in spite of the acts of corruption, illegal actions while in public office, or unethical behavior.

There are exceptions on both sides, but I cannot recall a time when either party has consistently done this.

As the party that campaigned on fighting the culture of corruption, the potential silence and inaction of the Dem party may be the biggest concern issue in this situation. Just like if it was a GOP member in the same situation, the GOP campaigned on not being corrupt, their stance would be what I would be watching too.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 03/11/2008 at 02:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    This did not happen because he was a Democrat. This has to do with the man....and the consequences of his actions with the position he holds, the stance he has personally taken, and accountability of all the above.

Dems jump on the chance to point out when a GOP member gets caught in a scandal, sexual entanglement, questionable ethical behavior, etc...

I have seen Reps to the exact same thing on TV, the radio, here on this forum, etc... especially the last few days.

But in nearly every case of one side jumping on the the actions of another politician of the other party, there is very little acknowledgment that the same action happens on their side as well (or even willingness to even discuss it). If they do, it is usually something along the lines of "Yes, but they do it more, so we are not as bad". In other words, a little embezzlement or bribery is okay as long as the other side gets caught doing it more....it's okay then.

I think that every time something like this comes to light, and the one accused is found to be guilty and you noticed I did not say sentenced because I include admitting guilt to plea bargain out of a sentence as well, the party....either GOP or Dem....should demand they step aside and resign. Corruption will always go hand in hand with politicians the way our system is currently set up and runs. But when the comes light, the party should not remain supportive of these actions by remaining silent...or even openly supportive in spite of the acts of corruption, illegal actions while in public office, or unethical behavior.

There are exceptions on both sides, but I cannot recall a time when either party has consistently done this.

As the party that campaigned on fighting the culture of corruption, the potential silence and inaction of the Dem party may be the biggest concern issue in this situation. Just like if it was a GOP member in the same situation, the GOP campaigned on not being corrupt, their stance would be what I would be watching too.

The whole system is poluted. They've lulled us all into neatly divided groups and use rhetoric (and those that love rhetoric) that one side is worse than the other to keep us divided. American's are now a bunch of thoughtless robots that tune to the TV channel that supports their preconceived notions (that they've been told they belong in) about what party they are ideaologically aligned with and neither side taking the time to sit back and realize....WE'RE ALL BEING DUPED!

That said...Spitzer will resign by Friday because his party is seeing to it that he steps down sooner than later....as they well should. Mr. Vitter continues to serve the last time I checked.
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    Ain't it great!!

Yea, if he was a republican't he would be getting laid in airport mens rooms.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast