Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    ...I am starting to wonder if Obama got ahead of himself and surrendered momentum to HRC.
    I've been thinking the same thing. This past week in particular, I've heard comments that show him looking past the primary season.

Even though that may be accurate in terms of delegate count, I think the message of "I need your help to become the nominee" has more resonance. There is a risk that voters in states yet to cast votes and/or caucus could feel devalued.

Granted, people do like to get behind a winner. So, it may be prudent to establish that is the inevitable conclusion. But, if the race stays close and the "super delegates" become a factor, who ever has the then current public support may hold the day.

The big risk that HRC has is that if the MI, FL and Super-delegates get her the nomination, the Obama supporters may revolt. If, however, she has the momentum, the case can be made that the party simply changed its mind as more facts became known.
    Well it's all very good news for the GOP (as Hobbes has alluded to). I think the GOP has been a mess for a while but now they have time to regroup, get on message, and define the heck out of the Dem nominees.

It's all very tiring though really. We just don't get the creame of the crop running for office. I'm not all that happy with any of the candidates.

All in all...Obama needs to close the deal and the math is still in his favor.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    No...according to CNN, all this last week he was trying to get Reps (who can vote in the Dem primary in TX) to go out and vote for HRC so that she will remain in the race to add confusion and infighting amongst the Dems so it will go to their convention so that they would have a super delegate fight.
    I heard on the radio today that the last time something like this happened (the popular vote didn't line up with the super delegate vote), the popular candidate ran on a third party ticket. That third party grew into the Democratic party. Might be interesting to see...
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
  4.    #44  
    if I can get personal for a moment, please let me talk about an experience from BARYE's own life that relates to this recent thing with Hillary.

My critics over the years have accused me of exaggerating my heroism, of over emphasizing my leadership, of falsely inflating my contributions.

One particular incident is often the one that my foes like to dwell on. It happened a while ago, but I remember like it was yesterday.

Perhaps you’ve seen the photograph -- I’m sorry -- I mean the near photographic painting of the event. Its fairly well known. Its reproduced below.

I lead our forces through Alps to victory against the Italians. Or was it the Turks ?? Whatever -- it was a moment when BARYE was indeed glorious.

My foes ask: Did it happen as its pictured ?? Was the painter on the scene as an eyewitness ??

Well I can honestly say it is as I remembered it. It probably happened that way, but forgive me its been awhile -- and here I can maybe sympathize with John McCain -- we all have our senior moments.

There are these complaints by some who are endeavoring to undercut BARYE's credibility, that the painter has taken liberties with my appearance. Some of you I know, will see that picture and quibble that it does not look at all like BARYE -- that the painting presents a cleaner, less hairy if you will, image. That this somehow proves everything about this story was a lie -- an “embellishment” greater even than Hillary's.

Please, lets be honest -- who couldn't benefit from the occasional bit of strategic airbrushing. Besides it was a time of war -- who amongst you would have had me take the time to shave or engage a barber amidst the chaos of battle ??

Was it romanticized ?? Perhaps.

Does BARYE even know how to ride a horse ?? I can’t really recall. (Nor do I understand why that’s important to know.)

Details. Everyone is obsessed with details. As though my credibility is somehow challenged by these tiny details.

Well in our day I guess we were all a little more sophisticated. We understood that reality sometimes needed a little help. That sometimes it needed to be idealized. Perfected.

No harm was done. And you know something else?? Maybe I'm not quite as tall as he drew me. So ?? Many of you are so tied up with details that you miss the truthiness of the big picture.

When I think of poor Hillary, I daily thank my lucky stars that I had no horde of press following me around. No videographers documenting my every move -- waiting to some day ambush me with images that contradict some innocently misremembered event from my past.

It pains me to say this because as many of you know, I really really like Survivor and Lost -- but if I had known I was ever getting back into politics, I promise you, I never would have invented television...

Last edited by BARYE; 03/26/2008 at 11:13 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    It seems your steed was looking at the artist and smiling
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    if I can get personal for a moment, please let me talk about an experience from BARYE's own life that relates to this recent thing with Hillary.

My critics over the years have accused me of exaggerating my heroism, of over emphasizing my leadership, of falsely inflating my contributions.

One particular incident is often the one that my foes like to dwell on. It happened a while ago, but I remember like it was yesterday.

Perhaps you’ve seen the photograph -- I’m sorry -- I mean the near photographic painting of the event. Its fairly well known. Its reproduced it below.

I lead our forces through Alps to victory against the Italians. Or was it the Turks ?? Whatever -- it was a moment when BARYE was indeed glorious.

My foes ask: Did it happen as its pictured ?? Was the painter on the scene as an eyewitness ??

Well I can honestly say it is as I remembered it. It probably happened that way, but forgive me its been awhile -- and here I can maybe sympathize with John McCain -- we all have our senior moments.

There are these complaints by some who are endeavoring to undercut BARYE's credibility, that the painter has taken liberties with my appearance. Some of you I know, will see that picture and quibble that it does not look at all like BARYE -- that the painting presents a cleaner, less hairy if you will, image. That this somehow proves everything about this story was a lie -- an “embellishment” greater even than Hillary's.

Please, lets be honest -- who couldn't benefit from the occasional bit of strategic airbrushing. Besides it was a time of war -- who amongst you would have had me take the time to shave or engage a barber amidst the chaos of battle ??

Was it romanticized ?? Perhaps.

Does BARYE even know how to ride a horse ?? I can’t really recall. (Nor do I understand why that’s important to know.)

Details. Everyone is obsessed with details. As though my credibility is somehow challenged by these tiny details.

Well in our day I guess we were all a little more sophisticated. We understood that reality sometimes needed a little help. That sometimes it needed to be idealized. Perfected.

No harm was done. And you know something else?? Maybe I'm not quite as tall as he drew me. So ?? Many of you are so tied up with details that you miss the truthiness of the big picture.

When I think of poor Hillary, I daily thank my lucky stars that I had no horde of press following me around. No videographers documenting my every move -- waiting to some day ambush me with images that contradict some innocently misremembered event from my past.

It pains me to say this because as many of you know, I really really like Lost and Survivor -- but if I had known I was ever getting back into politics, I promise you, I never would have invented television...

Ironically, BARYE looks like he is in a situation that actually requires ducking his head from sniper fire.

I see that HRC has now piled on this Pastor issue. I'm beginning to see what my friends on the right have loathed about her for so long.

Meanwhile....Rush is lighting another cigar and smiling.
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Ironically, BARYE looks like he is in a situation that actually requires ducking his head from sniper fire.

I see that HRC has now piled on this Pastor issue. I'm beginning to see what my friends on the right have loathed about her for so long.

Meanwhile....Rush is lighting another cigar and smiling.
    When she replied to a question about the pastor and what she would have done, how she would have behaved differently -- she's piling on.

But when Obama wheels out some National Guardio fat cat to flail on Hillary -- its fair game ????

life -- its unfair ...
  8.    #48  
    Senator Casey endorses Obama.

This anti-abortion catholic democrat got his Senate seat in large part from the support of Clinton Democrats.

His endorsement of Obama is a serious hit for Hillary. She will still win Pa. -- but not by the (triple digit!!) margins she'd need to change the trajectory of events.

(I always regretted Casey's selection as PA.'s democratic Senate candidate -- there must have been a strong decent pro-choice democrat available who could have defeated Santorum.)

I continue to say that The Bosnian Fairytale is what's damaged her more than anything else in the last 2 months...

Casey's endorsement is less surprising if you know of his father's long feud with Bill Clinton.

Casey (the senior) endorsed Jerry Brown over Clinton in 1992, and at the Democratic Convention Clinton blocked Casey from making an anti-abortion speech (they even put his delegation into the rafters of Madison Sq. Garden).

Sen. Casey endorses Obama
    By Matthew Bigg Reuters

U.S. Sen. Robert Casey of Pennsylvania on Friday endorsed Barack Obama's campaign for the Democratic nomination for president in a boost for the Illinois senator.

Casey could help Obama win over some of the state's white, socially conservative, blue-collar voters, many of whom are unionized and fear economic uncertainty. That demographic group is a natural preserve of Obama's rival, New York Sen. Hillary Clinton, ahead of the April 22 primary...

Casey snubs Clinton, family feud continues
    by Sasha Issenberg March Boston.com

...In 1992, as Clinton was coasting to the party's nomination, Casey encouraged his party to dump the Arkansas governor and use the convention to pick a new nominee, citing "the character issue" around Clinton and his "tiny, fly speck of support." Casey, who had enacted a tough state-level anti-abortion laws then under review by the U.S. Supreme Court, suggested that Clinton could have trouble winning the presidency due to his pro-choice views.

When Pennsylvania held its primary days later, Clinton lost only two counties in the state: Casey's home of Lackawanna and neighboring Luzerne, both carried by former California governor Jerry Brown, who barely campaigned in the state.

Their fight continued through the party's nominating convention that year, when Clinton kept Casey from addressing the party about abortion and banished the governor's contingent to the rafters of Madison Square Garden.

After leaving office in 1995, Casey set out immediately to run in the following year's Democratic primaries as a challenger to Clinton...
    Last edited by BARYE; 03/28/2008 at 03:25 PM.
    It is time for the Clinton's to let go. They have lost and it's time to circle the wagons for the general.
    BTW, Hillary wasn't lying . . . I have video proof!!

http://www.snotr.com/video/1024
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by DL.Cummings View Post
    BTW, Hillary wasn't lying . . . I have video proof!!

http://www.snotr.com/video/1024
    DL -- thank you for ferreting out the truth of what happened that day in Bosnia.

It is unfortunately an inevitable byproduct of being transformational figures like Hillary or myself, that our enemies are tempted to promulgate those sorts of lies like were seen in that earlier doctored video.

As you might expect, BARYE has too been targeted by this same sort of slanderous propaganda.

Witness this libelous unsourced entry seen in that tub of merde known as Wikipedia:

"...In 1800, BARYE returned to Italy, which the Austrians had reconquered during his absence in Egypt. He and his troops crossed the Alps in spring (although he actually rode a mule, not the white charger on which David famously depicted him)..."

They even commissioned this similarly ridiculous bit of doctored imagery to support their lies -- I know you all are laughing as hard as me at the transparency of their efforts:

Last edited by BARYE; 03/29/2008 at 01:41 PM.
    No, Hillary was not lying and neither was Obama - http://honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/p...WS01/803300356.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    No, Hillary was not lying and neither was Obama - http://honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/p...WS01/803300356.

Ben
    Um...I'm looking and maybe I missed the smoking gun you're reaching for (as you usually do when you post your flame bait up here). I see that a Republican Senator seems unwilling to believe Obama's story (go figure)about his grandmother's confession. I also see that several former bank executives cannot recall his grandmother ever uttering racial comments around them....in public.

So, what is he "lying" about again?

Gallup Daily: Obama Now at 52% to Clinton’s 42%
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post

Gallup Daily: Obama Now at 52% to Clinton’s 42%

your poll seems to track a trend that matches well the Bosnian Fairy Tale story. A story that unhelpfully for Hillary, has trumped the "racist" pastor story for the media, for now.

(were BARYE more paronoid, he'd wonder if that story got its beginnings in the Obama camp. Lets all be thankful that BARYE isn't paronoid -- BARYE knows he has enemies !!!)

I'm expecting that she'll win Pa. by maybe more than 10% -- and then withdraw and concede.

As I said before NH, Obama will then face a very tough race against McCain and the GOP slime machine.

After 8 years of war, lies, and scandals -- and the worst economy since the Depression -- a mangy flee infested rabid yellow dog with bad breath ought be able to beat a 92 yr. war supporting conservative in a landslide.

I expect Obama will win -- but it will be close.

(BTW -- for the record: I both like and respect Obama -- I only wish he'd have had 8 more years in the Senate before he'd have run -- following Hillary's second successful Presidential term).
    Last edited by BARYE; 03/30/2008 at 08:38 PM.
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post

Ben
    I read your cite -- and its actually a very kind description of the grandmother who raised him, and the Hawaiian milieu of his youth.
    After 8 years of war, lies, and scandals -- and the worst economy since the Depression -- a mangy flee infested rabid yellow dog with bad breath ought be able to beat a 92 yr. war supporting conservative in a landslide.
    Bwahahahahhahah! So true. So true.

I believe people are tired of the Clintons. I wish I could say we're tired of DLC Dems but let's face it. Only a small percentage of Dems educate themselves about the goings on in the Party.
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Bwahahahahhahah! So true. So true.

I believe people are tired of the Clintons. I wish I could say we're tired of DLC Dems but let's face it. Only a small percentage of Dems educate themselves about the goings on in the Party.
    I know they are associated, even seen as paragons -- for the DLCs -- but I see that association as more one of convenience and practicality, than of conviction.

My belief all along has been that Bill, Hillary and Gore were all in their hearts much more progressive than the left could recognize. (The right has had the deeper "insight", if you will...)

They all saw that it may feel good to rage with the purest of slogans, to wage the perfect fight -- but that real unempowered people in trouble can't be helped if you are not able to attain and wield practical political power and influence.

And the attaining and application of that is within the constraints of culture and society as it is -- not as we'd like it to be.
    Last edited by BARYE; 03/30/2008 at 09:58 PM.
    I'm not a fan of Hillary, but I think that's a very rude description of her.
    (BTW -- for the record: I both like and respect Obama -- I only wish he'd have had 8 more years in the Senate before he'd have run -- following Hillary's second successful Presidential term).
    Did Bill Clinton serve is the US Senate 8 years? How about 1 year? From the other side of the aisle, was Reagan ever a US Senator?

I think being a US Senator is a "nice to have on your resume" at best. There is little to no proof that the credential will deliver a better President to serve us. In fact, one could argue that well entrenched senators the likes of Ted Kennedy and...yes, John McCain...are least desirable candidates as their network of cronies (PACs and lobbyist) assuredly far surpass that of a "newbie" US Senator - read: the longer they serve the more disconnected they get from their constituents and more indebted they get to their PAC/lobbyist cronies.
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast