Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mgriffith View Post
    I will even go further and predict that, if Hillary succeeds in this play, the Black? African-American? (what damned option is the "correct" nomenclature now?) will be split with at least half moving to the Republican party.
    I doubt very seriously they will join the Repugs BUT, they will sit on there hands while the Right's vile for Hillary brings out their base in droves. Nominating Hillary is a sure loss in the General.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    I doubt very seriously they will join the Repugs BUT, they will sit on there hands while the Right's vile for Hillary brings out their base in droves. Nominating Hillary is a sure loss in the General.
    Actually, it has nothing to do with color...

There will be a lot of black, white, and other peeps sitting out because of the thought that it was "dirty" how she grabbed the nomination. It will be a replay of the 2000 elections... replace judges with super delegates. lol

If she had the lead in something or if there were a chance in hell that she could get this honestly (without the super delegates giving it to her) then everyone would have voted for her. You have to remember, Afri-Ameri still have a love for the Clintons. Although every black (and white) person I know from DC to AL to SC to NC say that relationship was damaged when Bill went off in SC. Fair or not, your opinion.... (But these people also voted obama.)

If she was not behind in everything she could have the entire vote. If she wins now, I believe only her supporters would vote for her. Even some of them might sit home because it would not be true.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  3.    #303  
    Hey, I started off specifically stating I was giving a non-answer! I can see where a punt is called, but no penalty is due!

...Unless IN and NC both are total blow-outs for Obama (well in excess of 10 points), I predict Hillary will end up with the Democrat nomination...
    yes Malcom, the officials are a tough bunch.

Especially chosen for their integrity and backbone, they know they bear a heavy responsibility.

The previous crew once even had the courage and audacity to rule against BARYE.

I was so moved by their independence and bravery that I personally gave the eulogy at their funeral.

Its a reflection of the great esteem with which I held them, that I did not even demand that the families reimburse me for the cost of the bullets used...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iago View Post
    Itís pretty sad and obvious by your exasperated tone that neither is your preferred term. But to answer your insincere question, either will do.
    Actually I prefer "Americans" without the need to refer to race, but in this political context, something is necessary to denote a particular demographic.

Any exasperation on my part comes from the needless, yet ever changing, lexicon and the negative aspersions cast on anyone who fails to use the "right" term du jour. I treat everyone the same and ignore race as much as is humanly possible.

Unfortunately there are those in our society who will not do the same, and they are members of every race.

But nice of you to immediately go for the gutter.
    Actually I prefer "Americans" without the need to refer to race, but in this political context, something is necessary to denote a particular demographic.

Any exasperation on my part comes from the needless, yet ever changing, lexicon and the negative aspersions cast on anyone who fails to use the "right" term du jour. I treat everyone the same and ignore race as much as is humanly possible.

Unfortunately there are those in our society who will not do the same, and they are members of every race.

You and Iago should kiss and make up before this turns into a bloody war...

Iago might have went a bit far, but considering your post and some of the other people we have on here (well two of them at least), I can see why Iago "went there." Mistake? After reading your explanation, I guess.

In the future you might want include a bit of an explanation to keep confusion down if you don't understand a term (or terms). It is rather hard to explain yourself fully on a forum... people can't see you or hear your voice. When I first read your post, as I'm sure most others, I simply ignored it... I was not sure which way you were going and did not care to know since it was not explained.

In 2008 it seems that people should know what term to use when speaking of another race. In a perfect world I guess.... sometimes google makes a perfect world.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    You and Iago should kiss and make up before this turns into a bloody war...

Iago might have went a bit far, but considering your post and some of the other people we have on here (well two of them at least), I can see why Iago "went there." Mistake? After reading your explanation, I guess.

In the future you might want include a bit of an explanation to keep confusion down if you don't understand a term (or terms). It is rather hard to explain yourself fully on a forum... people can't see you or hear your voice. When I first read your post, as I'm sure most others, I simply ignored it... I was not sure which way you were going and did not care to know since it was not explained.

In 2008 it seems that people should know what term to use when speaking of another race. In a perfect world I guess.... sometimes google makes a perfect world.

theog,

I appreciate your sentiment. You are entirely correct regarding a forum not conveying tone, inflection, facial expressions and other factors so crucial to ideal communications.

However, I think there is a far more important point to focus on here. That is, when in doubt, ask - don't assume.

Could I have been clearer in my original post? Absolutely. No question about it.

Was there anything there that an objective person would take as negatively racial? Possibly, but I do not think so. At least not without a preexisting tendency on my part towards such behavior (no evidence there that I am aware), or on the part of the reader to see such (I leave that up to each person to determine).

I do not mean to single out Iago for a single occurence (or for anything for that matter). We all err from time to time (and I place myself at the top of that list). Still, I see what strikes me as hard core projection all too often in these fora.

I was taught long ago that when someone only has a hammer, they go about looking only for nails.

Before anyone casts aspersions they would be well served to take a long, hard, objective look at themselves first. This lead me to realize many years ago that I had a tendency to condem others for things I myself did. Ugly realization, that, and painful. I like to think I have broken that habit. At the least, I make a concerted effort to reevaluate myself and thoughts before I speak. If I find myslef in doubt, I give the other person the benefit of the doubt and seek to get them to clarify themselves before I make any decisions about them, their motives and credibility.

For the record, I have no desire for a "war", nor do I have any intention of persuing one.
    I was taught long ago that when someone only has a hammer, they go about looking only for nails.
    Subtle difference, but the old saw is that when one only has a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. That being said, in 2008, everyone should know that the concept of 'race' is trite.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...

Well, I must admit I do work fast, especially when I see someone I think is about to step in muck.
    You say you were taught about hammers? Well I was taught about ducks. That is....If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, guess what? It’s a “damn” duck.

You see, I can only go by what you write. The parenthetical remark seemed rather condescending to me, and the word “damn” made Blacks sound downright contemptible. At least to me. It reminded me of your sweeping unscientific observation in another thread about Black people and talking, when you said:
    "As far as volume in and of itself is concerned, normal conversation levels in black groups tends to be louder than other groups. I have no clue as to the root for such norms."

That’s a pretty sweeping statement in describing the characteristics of nearly 40 million individuals wouldn’t you say? (Maybe it’s just those Black people that YOU tend to notice). As I said, I can only go by what you write. Thus, my impression and comments.

This forum is full of political discussion with references to “Black” or African American, so I fail to see what the big mystery is with using the “correct” terminology. I’ve never witnessed any negative aspersions cast on anyone who failed to use the "right" term du jour, as you put it. One would think that you’ve never uttered either word, which lead me to wonder what words you have been using.

In sum..., It sounded to me like you were being dismissive of Blacks in general, however you have since explained that you are dismissive of all nomenclatures. I will take you at your word. But please watch how you “quack”. My apologies. I will pack away my sledgehammer.
    Last edited by Iago; 05/06/2008 at 04:02 PM.
    Iago

"Good name in man and woman, dear my lord, Is the immediate jewel of their souls: Who steals my purse steals trash . . . But he that filches from me my good name Robs me of that which not enriches him
    And makes me poor indeed."

Criminal: A person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation.
    - Howard Scott
    Hmm, I was taught English . . .

You see, I can only go by what you write. The parenthetical remark seemed rather condescending to me, and the word “damn” made Blacks sound downright contemptible. At least to me.
    Except the word, "damned" was used as an adjective to intensify the word, "option." This suggests that either you either were looking for contempt or are incapable of recognizing basic English.

I will even go further and predict that, if Hillary succeeds in this play, the Black? African-American? (what damned option is the "correct" nomenclature now?) will be split with at least half moving to the Republican party.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
    Quote Originally Posted by DL.Cummings View Post

Except the word, "damned" was used as an adjective to intensify the word, "option." This suggests that either you either were looking for contempt or are incapable of recognizing basic English.
    I was taught about common sense.

Someone has a typo and you assume they are incapable of recognizing basic English? That is childish.

Seems like a weak attempt to come to the rescue of your fallen comrade. How sweet.
    Well, I must admit I do work fast, especially when I see someone I think is about to step in muck.
    You say you were taught about hammers? Well I was taught about ducks. That is....If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, guess what? It’s a “damn” duck.

You see, I can only go by what you write. The parenthetical remark seemed rather condescending to me, and the word “damn” made Blacks sound downright contemptible. At least to me. It reminded me of your sweeping unscientific observation in another thread about Black people and talking, when you said:
    "As far as volume in and of itself is concerned, normal conversation levels in black groups tends to be louder than other groups. I have no clue as to the root for such norms."

That’s a pretty sweeping statement in describing the characteristics of nearly 40 million individuals wouldn’t you say? (Maybe it’s just those Black people that YOU tend to notice). As I said, I can only go by what you write. Thus, my impression and comments.

This forum is full of political discussion with references to “Black” or African American, so I fail to see what the big mystery is with using the “correct” terminology. I’ve never witnessed any negative aspersions cast on anyone who failed to use the "right" term du jour, as you put it. One would think that you’ve never uttered either word, which lead me to wonder what words you have been using.

In sum..., It sounded to me like you were being dismissive of Blacks in general, however you have since explained that you are dismissive of all nomenclatures. I will take you at your word. But please watch how you “quack”. My apologies. I will pack away my sledgehammer.

I did not remember that... lol... yea, mgriffith has an issue. Unfortunately he is not the only one....
    I was taught about common sense.

Someone has a typo and you assume they are incapable of recognizing basic English? That is childish.

Seems like a weak attempt to come to the rescue of your fallen comrade. How sweet.
    Suggesting someone has contempt for black people because they failed to apply basic English principles isn't a typo, period.

Suggesting someone has contempt for black people because they failed to apply basic English principles isn't a typo, period.
    You can spin it anyway you want... I don't care. Mgriffith's post are junk.

That is all I'll say about it. I'm done.

I'm looking at NC and Indiana. They keep talking Indiana is close... seems odd....
    You can spin it anyway you want... I don't care. The guy's post are junk and I'm done with it.

Of course you don't care, it would involve admitting that regardless of mgriffith's posts or quality of posts, Iago was in fact, patently and indisputablywrong.

As far as mgriffith's posts? I cannot speak for. I can say your charge regarding rescuing a "fallen comrade" was equally wrong (and quite ignorant).

Of course it should'nt be seen as a big deal huh? I mean who cares about basic English? After all, if I spend the effort to properly construct a sentence it's quite acceptable for others to improperly deconstruct it and label me based on their failings.

"When language in common use in any country becomes irregular and depraved, it is followed by their ruin and degradation." - John Milton

I wasnít looking for anything, just considering the statement in its entirety. I'm now done with this.
    As for you, Iím glad you seem to have adjectives down. Your elementary teacher would be pleased. However, he/she would still mark you down.

"Except the word, "damned" was used as an adjective to intensify the word, "option."

This is not a complete sentence, Mr. I was taught English. Hahaha
    Once you learn how to construct a complete sentence, you might be able to start posting interesting arguments. Oh wait......that requires some analytical ability. I'm sorry.
    You make it so easy. I almost feel guilty.
    Iago

"Good name in man and woman, dear my lord, Is the immediate jewel of their souls: Who steals my purse steals trash . . . But he that filches from me my good name Robs me of that which not enriches him
    And makes me poor indeed."

Criminal: A person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation.
    - Howard Scott
    As far as mgriffith's posts? I cannot speak for. I can say your charge regarding rescuing a "fallen comrade" was equally wrong (and quite ignorant).:
    Since we are talking about you....

I thought my post was cute and funny.

How was the sentence structure?
    I wasn’t looking for anything, just considering the statement in its entirety. I'm now done with this.
    As for you, I’m glad you seem to have adjectives down. Your elementary teacher would be pleased. However, he/she would still mark you down.

"Except the word, "damned" was used as an adjective to intensify the word, "option."

This is not a complete sentence, Mr. I was taught English. Hahaha
    Once you learn how to construct a complete sentence, you might be able to start posting interesting arguments. Oh wait......that requires some analytical ability. I'm sorry.
    You make it so easy. I almost feel guilty.

Apparently you weren't taught what is known as conversational writing which doesn't always adhere to conventional English grammar. As such, it is quite acceptable to starts sentences with "and" or end them in prepositions. I could go on but I see the futility in this already . . . .

It's just easier to make up what you want to see out of writing and go from there. Sad, really it is.

Apparently you weren't taught what is known as conversational writing which doesn't always adhere to conventional English grammar. As such, it is quite acceptable to starts sentences with "and" or end them in prepositions. I could go on but I see the futility in this already . . . .

It's just easier to make up what you want to see out of writing and go from there. Sad, really it is.
    Stop being an english professor when it fits your agenda... nobody wants or needs that on a forum. Go teach night school if you want to do that...

People who go around poking fun at typos or sentence structure on a forum look like an a hole.

That is really the bottom line... we are not typing this stuff to get graded.... it's a forum.

Although, it is fun to poke fun for the sake of fun... but to be serious, like you are, PLEASE.....
    Stop being an english professor when it fits your agenda... nobody wants or needs that on a forum. Go teach night school if you want to do that...

People who go around poking fun at typos or sentence structure on a forum look like an a hole.

That is really the bottom line... we are not typing this stuff to get graded.... it's a forum.

Although, it is fun to poke fun for the sake of fun... but to be serious, like you are, PLEASE.....
    Like I said previously:

That was the ONLY reason I made it an issue. Typically I don't care about such things; however, when a person accuses someone else of racism (which is what it amounted too), then it becomes a problem.

I'm not sorry that such a thing strikes a nerve, it should. We should all be upset when someone mischaracterizes another based purely on their lack of understanding.

Wow, Iago.

If what you do works for you, keep doing it.

My only impression was the irony of your using the "duck" analogy and the term "canard."

I refuse to wallow in the muck with you.