View Poll Results: Arduous Development Happens Dynamically.

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pardon? What was the question?

6 33.33%
  • I can't hold still long enough to type.

12 66.67%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Originally posted by bblue:
    [...] I'm perfectly normal. (When compared to Toby.) [...]

LOL...you would think that's an insult of some sort. Like the Garfield poster I bought for my daughter's room says, "Normal is overrated."
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Toby
    [...] I'm perfectly normal. (When compared to Toby.) [...]

LOL...you would think that's an insult of some sort. Like the Garfield poster I bought for my daughter's room says, "Normal is overrated."

You'll be glad to know it wasn't an insult. You may think Mr. Winkies is superfluous, but he sure does help you!

Are you a psychologyst / psychiatrist / mental health doctor / political debate writer by any chance?
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    You'll be glad to know it wasn't an insult.

You'd be lying to say that it wasn't. I notice that you tried to get rid of the evidence, though. Why would you need to do that if it wasn't an insult?

You may think Mr. Winkies is superfluous,

'He' is in most cases, and is downright dishonest in others.

but he sure does help you!

Where was he when I was moving that love seat last weekend, then?

Are you a psychologyst / psychiatrist / mental health doctor / political debate writer by any chance?

Is your current battery of therapists not filling your needs?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  4.    #124  
    ...I'm perfectly normal. (When compared to Toby.)...
    I have to agree. Your nerve grating irritation reminds me quite a bit of the ilk I deal with daily. Thank God I got out of the caring professions.

Disadvantages:
    At a local craft fair with my wife I said, "I thought that chick had a gorgeous chest, but I guess it's a guy" in front of my wife's friends and their 8 y/o daughter. Workaround - avoid places I know to be dull if possible.

Being 10 min late everywhere I go. Workaround - decide to arrive at a place 30 min before I need to be there.

Fidgeting. Workaround - none. Keeps caloric expenditure up, though.

Temper. Workaround - physical labor and setting up a consistent work out routine.

Getting fired or quitting from jobs. Workaround - work at a small business or work alone. On paper my behavior doesn't look so good. In person I'm charming and charismatic (or so my shrink says), which brings in more customers than I manage to drive away by being candid (e.g. letting a customer know that, yes, they are indeed an *****). Only the latter makes it to my personnel file.

Advantages:
    I don't remember what he listed, but they were good. I didn't write them down because I don't need to work on those.
    Last edited by dick-richardson; 06/29/2001 at 09:44 PM.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    You'll be glad to know it wasn't an insult.

You'd be lying to say that it wasn't. I notice that you tried to get rid of the evidence, though. Why would you need to do that if it wasn't an insult?
    Because other people thought it was. It was neither very witty nor funny by my standards, so I don't miss it.
    You may think Mr. Winkies is superfluous,

'He' is in most cases, and is downright dishonest in others.
    What's your method of deciphering? Telepathy? Haha. Each person will have their own view on many aspects of this. So I'll hold off on this, for once.
    but he sure does help you!

Where was he when I was moving that love seat last weekend, then?
    That conveyed an image that will send me into therapy.

Is your current battery of therapists not filling your needs?
    No, I'd like to know how many government subsidies your alma mater received. Do you scare little children? If so, you have a lot in common with my current batch. ha ha. I kill me.
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    Because other people thought it was.

Great, now we're getting somewhere. Other people seem to think your posting is annoying and insulting in general. It would be logically inconsistent for you to not change that now. Of course, I don't expect that you will because you really don't seem to be influenced by logic at all.

What's your method of deciphering? Telepathy? Haha.

No, it's called reading for comprehension. Context has everything to do with it.

Rest snipped for inanity, but suffice it to say that physical labor inducing you to therapy is really odd.
    Because other people thought it was.

Great, now we're getting somewhere. Other people seem to think your posting is annoying and insulting in general. It would be logically inconsistent for you to not change that now. Of course, I don't expect that you will because you really don't seem to be influenced by logic at all.

Big words coming from a man who is hard pressed to get the whole truth out. In the past, I have almost always removed anything found offensive, or in MY mind, useless. Had it been some witty commment, like "Mr. Winkies is going to kill you and bomb your house," (notice the humorous contradiction!) then I might have kept it there.

What's your method of deciphering? Telepathy? Haha.

No, it's called reading for comprehension. Context has everything to do with it.
    You seem to be inadequate at both. Judging by many of the gaping innacuracies your previous posts has proved, such as many of the humorous lines. (Honestly, you've been arguing over things that has the value of squat!) If you need proof, just look at this thread and the "Assaulted Today" threads, with emphasis on the second.

Rest snipped for inanity, but suffice it to say that physical labor inducing you to therapy is really odd.
    There were so many ways in which that could have been interpreted. Ha ha... just kidding.
    Big words coming from a man who is hard pressed to get the whole truth out.

Big words coming from someone who changes their posts to get the whole truth off the record.

In the past, I have almost always removed anything found offensive, or in MY mind, useless.

So what? If you were really concerned about it, you wouldn't say it in the first place.

You seem to be inadequate at both.

To you? Perhaps.

Judging by many of the gaping innacuracies your previous posts has proved, such as many of the humorous lines.

This sentence makes no sense. Try writing for comprehension too.

(Honestly, you've been arguing over things that has the value of squat!) If you need proof, just look at this thread and the "Assaulted Today" threads, with emphasis on the second.

Do you know the meaning of 'context'?

There were so many ways in which that could have been interpreted. Ha ha... just kidding.

Therein lies the rub. Only one of them would have been in the proper context.
    Big words coming from a man who is hard pressed to get the whole truth out.

Big words coming from someone who changes their posts to get the whole truth off the record.

You know, it WAS quoted. And it WAS removed upon request. Once again, you have trouble getting the whole truth out. Your credibility, as far as I am concerned, is getting lower and lower. And it's not hard to see why. You are in NO position right now to even TALK about someone elses, as your arguements have become frivolous, as this has just proven. What's even more pathetic, is the fact that I know you would have turned around and have tried to accuse me of doing the same, as you have just proved, too. The only difference, is that YOU would try an elevate it to make it on level with mine. It's time to shut up, my friend.

In the past, I have almost always removed anything found offensive, or in MY mind, useless.

So what? If you were really concerned about it, you wouldn't say it in the first place.
    My standards are different than everyone elses. After 2 months, you should know that. It's been thoroughly discussed before, so I'm not repeating it.

You seem to be inadequate at both.

To you? Perhaps.
    Your point being? Someone with half my intelligence (insert cheap joke/insult here... c'mon, you know you wanna!) could tell you that, not to mention someone with TWICE my intelligence. (a phrase not normally necessary to type, except in Toby's case, mind you.)

Judging by many of the gaping innacuracies your previous posts has proved, such as many of the humorous lines.

Didn't know 3+ syllable words overloaded your brain. (Actually the sentence has less meaning than you'd think, but it still drives the fairly obvious point across.)

(Honestly, you've been arguing over things that has the value of squat!) If you need proof, just look at this thread and the "Assaulted Today" threads, with emphasis on the second.

Do you know the meaning of 'context'?

Therein lies the rub. Only one of them would have been in the proper context.
    True. But I find these arguements a waste of time. However, I know getting you to shush up takes more than simply "DROP IT ALREADY," so I'm going to humor myself while I'm busy telling you why you're wrong, and while you claim I'm wrong, yada yada. Hey, it's either that or I become "brilliantly sarcastic," but then I could never be in a good mood.
  10.    #130  
    Originally posted by bblue
    What's even more pathetic, is the fact that I know you would have turned around and have tried to accuse me of doing the same.
    And just like Toby knows your 'winkies' are your way of bantering semantics to keep your *** from getting banned. So which 'argument' are you going to stand behind: the ability to "know" the intent of someone else given the limited communication medium a discussion board imposes, or a literal interpretation of intent based on the words that magically appear on screen when you click the right links?

Take your time, Jeenyus. Idiocy such as yours needs as many breaks as it can get.
    -Joshua
    Originally posted by ****-richardson

And just like Toby knows your 'winkies' are your way of bantering semantics to keep your *** from getting banned. So which 'argument' are you going to stand behind: the ability to "know" the intent of someone else given the limited communication medium a discussion board imposes, or a literal interpretation of intent based on the words that magically appear on screen when you click the right links?

Take your time, Jeenyus. Idiocy such as yours needs as many breaks as it can get.
    Mr winkies is a window to the intent of the words you are writing. It helps (especially in y-k-w's case) to express in what mood it is being written in.

Saying:
    You suck

Has a whole different meaning than

You suck.

----

As you know the same phrase can mean different things depending on how it is said. Since we have yet to make it obvious in what tone we are speaking in (as Toby has somewhat enlightened us about) , (maybe we can use color? no?) , we use Mr Winkies to help tell us if we're saying it as something light or as a direct insult.

That's why they're there. That, and the fact that this: Smiley here is hilarious. I mean, look at him! He's frowning, cause he's got question marks above his head! Hahaha! Look at that! He's sad, because he's too stupid to get it! Ha ha ha! Look at that! He's so sad!!! He's so funny! Ha ha ha!!!!

-

A message from ::: Stop picking on my little brother!
  12.    #132  
    You didn't answer my question. Your post had nothing to do with mine. Why you quoted my post and then decided to start a discourse on the meaning behind the smiley, I'll never know.
    -Joshua
    "Advantages:
    I don't remember what he listed, but they were good. I didn't write them down because I don't need to work on those."

I imagine one of those was the ability to come at problems/challenges from a different perspectative, and the ability to bring a lot of 'fierce' energy, quickly, to bear on a problem/challenge. You probably also have a quick wit in person and are fun in social situations. Until you impulsively decide to spray everyone down with a fire extinguisher!

"You didn't answer my question. Your post had nothing to do with mine. Why you quoted my post and then decided to start a discourse on the meaning behind the smiley, I'll never know. "

Josh, I get it, it's a meta-metaphor. He's just showing how a person with ADHD sometimes can't keep to a topic!

Either that, or he just can't admit he's wrong and can't figure any way to dig out of the hole he's put himself in.

I wish his parents would find out what he's been doing in his room all this time and take away his computer privileges for a week or two (maybe that's what really happened last time he disappeared!).

"Judging by many of the gaping innacuracies your previous posts has proved, such as many of the humorous lines.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Didn't know 3+ syllable words overloaded your brain. (Actually the sentence has less meaning than you'd think, but it still drives the fairly obvious point across.)"

The sentence was very poorly written and makes no sense. Adding '3+ syllable words' to a sentence can't help it if it doesn't 'read'. It has no 'fairly obvious point'. Maybe you should read back your posts to a second party before you post them. One of the discouraging things about coming across your posts is that you can sound fairly intelligent in one sentence, then in the next sentence an ***** could have been clearer.

Please work on it. I'm sure you have something to add to this community other than discordancy.

"May Gods' love be with you..." Joseph Arthur

Michael
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
    Being 10 min late everywhere I go. Workaround - decide to arrive at a place 30 min before I need to be there.
    This I live with...and, slowly, everyone I know has adapted by now. ;o)

[quote]Fidgeting. Workaround - none. Keeps caloric expenditure up, though.[quote]

I'm now at the point where I catch myself doing it. While I still do it, I'm able to intervene more often. I do make a rule to never be in a meeting over 30 minutes. I just can't do that.

Temper. Workaround - physical labor and setting up a consistent work out routine.
    I've found excercise to help with a lot of my ADD issues. After a good workout, I'm fairly 'stable' for quite a while.

Getting fired or quitting from jobs. Workaround - work at a small business or work alone.
    I've found that I get bored at a job after about a year and a half or so. It gets to the point where I'll put in an 8 hour day but not actually do anything. Fortunately, I've been able to see that coming before any noticable degradation in my performance was noticed.

I now also work in a small firm, where one person is also ADD and another is Obsesive Compulsive. It helps to joke about it..

As for working alone, I'm actually very bad at that. I can't get a project started on my own. So, I've learned to cope with that by having my co-workers set very specific timelines/deadlines for projects...it's helped a lot.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by BobbyMike
    [I]

"You didn't answer my question. Your post had nothing to do with mine. Why you quoted my post and then decided to start a discourse on the meaning behind the smiley, I'll never know. "

Josh, I get it, it's a meta-metaphor. He's just showing how a person with ADHD sometimes can't keep to a topic!

Absolutely! Boy my lawn sure is green......... .. .. . . !

Either that, or he just can't admit he's wrong and can't figure any way to dig out of the hole he's put himself in.
    I have never had any trouble admitting I'm wrong. Why? Because I never AM wrong!

I wish his parents would find out what he's been doing in his room all this time and take away his computer privileges for a week or two (maybe that's what really happened last time he disappeared!).
    Surprise surprise Mike! I'm your son, the one you show my pictures of to every stranger on the internet! Each day, I get on your computer & act like a total ***** to come up with these crazy posts! Just to get my revenge of you're constant thrashings! Mwahahahaha!

"Judging by many of the gaping innacuracies your previous posts has proved, such as many of the humorous lines.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Didn't know 3+ syllable words overloaded your brain. (Actually the sentence has less meaning than you'd think, but it still drives the fairly obvious point across.)"

The sentence was very poorly written and makes no sense. Adding '3+ syllable words' to a sentence can't help it if it doesn't 'read'.
    It does read. Just not very well.

It has no 'fairly obvious point'.
    Neither do you. Think about it, MAN!
    (I'm sorry, I had to say that. I could not resist. I must repeat every joke I hear, even the lame ones!)

Maybe you should read back your posts to a second party before you post them. One of the discouraging things about coming across your posts is that you can sound fairly intelligent in one sentence, then in the next sentence an ***** could have been clearer.

Please work on it. I'm sure you have something to add to this community other than discordancy.

"May Gods' love be with you..." Joseph Arthur

Michael
    I'm thinking about splitting my identities. (seriously, folks!) I mean, first off, I'd get something clever and witty for my two handles. Like "bblue" and "dontbblue. Take that back, James would sue me for stealing his ideas . No, but one handle would be my "intelligent" and rather boring side where I make dull, bland statements in the dreary "yes master" tone to please the masses. The other one would be my wonderfully hil-ar-i-OUS side that seems to exist to simply add a dash of wit, sarcasm, and biting opinion to this otherwise "uninspiring" forum, while simultaneously showing loyalty to none, but giving me a wonderfully poignant image comparable to none. (well, now!)

That way, I could get rid of the "bblue, I don't understand why the hell you are smart one minute, dumb the next" posts, and probably allow people to pick favorites! After all, I now feel it is my RESPONSIBILITY to add in the quick topic changes & FREQUENT USE OF CAPS & "Say what's on my mind" aspects of bkbk.

Sorry for taking up space in THIS thread to say it.
    "Surprise surprise Mike! I'm your son, the one you show my pictures of to every stranger on the internet! Each day, I get on your computer & act like a total ***** to come up with these crazy posts! "

Go to you room! And you can forget the trip to WallyWorld too.
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
    Posted by bblueYou know, it WAS quoted. And it WAS removed upon request.
    Technically, I did not quote you or ask you to remove it. I asked if it were a necessity that you 'name call' in most of your posts. But this is technical...and this assumes you were referring to my post.

From JoshFidgeting. Workaround - none. Keeps caloric expenditure up, though.
    Perhaps a new career in personal weight loss assistant? The ****-richardson Fidget Your Way to a Perfect Body Diet?

Seriously, I would very much like to be posted on your progress with the workarounds that you trying out. Much luck to you!
    You know, it WAS quoted. And it WAS removed upon request.

Nobody requested that you remove it. Kelley asked why you felt you had to throw random name-calling about.

Once again, you have trouble getting the whole truth out.

What 'whole truth' are you referring to? I never mentioned you anywhere in this thread. You evidently were compelled to try and play normal and compare yourself to me out of nowhere. Fine. But don't try to weasel out of it and claim that deleting it somehow makes the passive-agressive behavior disappear.

Your credibility, as far as I am concerned, is getting lower and lower.

If I was concerned with things as far as you were concerned, that might register as meaning something.

And it's not hard to see why.

Of course it's not hard to see why. You have some personal issue with me that compels you to make personal attacks out of the blue.

You are in NO position right now to even TALK about someone elses, as your arguements have become frivolous, as this has just proven.

No, the subject is frivilous. The arguments are not. And why are we even having this discussion? It seems that it's because you had to make a remark about me unprovoked. So, where's your 'whole truth' now?

What's even more pathetic, is the fact that I know you would have turned around and have tried to accuse me of doing the same, as you have just proved, too.

No, if I would have made a personal comment about you in a thread unprovoked, I'd have deserved to be called on it. I'd be interested in seeing an example of my having done that, though.

The only difference, is that YOU would try an elevate it to make it on level with mine. It's time to shut up, my friend.

Perhaps, but not for the one of us to which I expect you were referring.

Your point being?

You're evidently not qualified to judge.

(insert cheap joke/insult here... c'mon, you know you wanna!)

You really don't have much clue what I do or don't want, evidently.

[...] Didn't know 3+ syllable words overloaded your brain.

They don't.

(Actually the sentence has less meaning than you'd think, but it still drives the fairly obvious point across.)

The sentence doesn't mean much at all, and unless you were trying to demonstrate your lack of communications skills, it ate your point.

True. But I find these arguements a waste of time.

Odd considering that they seem to be your raison d'Ítre here.

However, I know getting you to shush up takes more than simply "DROP IT ALREADY,"

And why exactly don't you 'drop it' or 'shut up', if that's truly your goal?

so I'm going to humor myself while I'm busy telling you why you're wrong,

You haven't even touched upon any reasons why I'm 'wrong' on any particular position yet. You're just trying to make general attacks against my character out of nowhere. Even when I've made comments on your character in the past, they were all instigated by your outright attacks (the first and most notable being your calling anyone who didn't buy into your reasons for thinking the m505 was the best Palm PDA at the time stupid).

and while you claim I'm wrong,

I don't see myself making any such claim here. You're not reading for comprehension if you're interpreting anything as such. You're reading for self-gratification and to keep stirring the pot, it seems.
    Mr winkies is a window to the intent of the words you are writing.

'Mr. Winkie' does not necessarily mean any such thing.

It helps (especially in y-k-w's case) to express in what mood it is being written in.

That's what context is for.

Saying:
    You suck

Has a whole different meaning than

You suck.

That depends on the context. If I'm telling Josh "you suck", then either of them might mean the same thing. If you're telling me, "you suck ", then 'Mr. Winkie' just comes off as being passive-aggressive and a means of throwing an insult out while still wanting to be able to claim that you were only kidding. 'Mr. Winkie' is superfluous (that's a 4-syllable word BTW), and in such a case would be downright dishonest because I can't see how anyone could believe you were just kidding in such a case considering your attitude towards me otherwise. Note: these are hypotheticals and not accusations of little boy blue having told me that I suck anywhere

As you know the same phrase can mean different things depending on how it is said. Since we have yet to make it obvious in what tone we are speaking in (as Toby has somewhat enlightened us about) , (maybe we can use color? no?) , we use Mr Winkies to help tell us if we're saying it as something light or as a direct insult.

Context determines meaning. Context can take several forms. It can be colored by the situation in which it takes place. It can also be colored by the parties between which the communication is occurring. The important thing to remember is that communication is a process, and is fruitless without two parties which are willing to understand what the other party is saying and intending to be understood by the other party.

That's why they're there.

And like any tool, they can be abused or twisted to serve purposes other than those originally intended.
    Oh, and as a final remark with a minor tie-in to a closed thread, here's the full quote from Einstein along with some additional context...

"Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses to instead express his opinions courageously and honestly." - Written regarding the controversy surrounding Russell's appointment to the faculty of the City University of New York. Quoted in the New York Times, March 13, 1940.

Now, considering this further context, how is blindly trying to cause controversy under an anonymous screen name fall under any of that?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast