Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Some have asked why I still tolerate life in NYC under Guiliani's Nazi Regime...
    ...it gets harder & harder.
    Today, I encountered a malevolent next-door neighbor who's hurled numerous racist slurs at me in the past.
    Sadly (for me) it was the "matriarch" of the clan -- of a large, extended family in the neighborhood, who've contaminated us w/every manner of sickening speech & behavior -- but "just up to the line" of where they're not breaking the law (including stalking me & my former fiancee at my home).
    I of course hate them w/a passion -- and they hate me in return, but for the opposite reason, which is clearly spelled out in M.Scott Peck's "PEOPLE OF THE LIE: THE HOPE FOR HEALING HUMAN EVIL" where he notes: "It is as natural for the evil to hate the good as it is the converse -- and equally natural that they should be locked in combat." (Think of the recent "Romeo & Juliet" [w/Danes & DiC] display of mutual family hatred -- except here, good & evil are pretty cut & dried, and I'm out-numbered at least 10:1.)

Sadly, it seems the monkeys on the NYPD, etc. DO NOT READ.

I was assaulted when the sick racist slurs began and I whipped out my Olympus DS-150 to protect myself -- as there were no other witnesses around, and the word of a "matriarch" in our still-poorly-enlightened society will still "be taken as gospel" against "some younger tech geek."
    She smacked the $200 device out of my hand, onto the pavement, where it seemed to shatter into 1,000 pieces. But it didn't; only the batt. cover & batts had dispersed. (It malfunctions slightly now, though.)

But the flash memory held. I put in a new set of batteries (the 1st set was hopelessly lost -- I was lucky to find the device & batt cover), and it seems the recording is still there. (I can't check before I get home from work -- but I am VERRRRRY fearful that under the present thoroughly corrupt Guiliani administration, the old bag may lie about this, that or the other [insert anything even remotely believable] -- and maybe the NYPD will be waiting for me at my home tonight, w/my next-door neighbors laughing as the NYPD does their bidding, courtesy of their lies -- which the NYPD is horrifyingly loath to check, which you know if you've ever been close to any kind of "work" they've ever done.)

(Do they have the Web in prison, so I can still visit this site if I'm unjustly thrown in jail?)

Luckily, I got some of her lies (which is why she smacked the digital audio recorder out of my hand) on the device, so I hope it will protect me.

I know I "can't sue" because she didn't "break my skin" -- nor did another female member of their clan (half the matriarch's age) when she did something similar about a year ago. The evil NYPD pooh-poohed it, like: "Oh, can't the big man take a smack from a woman?" I said I guess it would be "even" if I could smack her w/the same force right there & then -- w/them witnessing.

Their eyes narrowed and their hands instinctively moved closer to their guns, as if to say: "Don't even dream of it."

You gotta love living in a land w/double-standards under the law, eh?
    "Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds." -- Albert Einstein
    I'm sorry for your experience bkbk.

The best revenge is living well.

Try to get under their radar so that their attention is drawn elsewhere.
    If this is not possible, stop wasting the time of your life. I am pretty much a coward. I say, try to think good, be good, do good. And if you can't...

maybe, the best revenge is living well,
    someplace else.
    "I cannot live without books." Thomas Jefferson
    That reminds me of how the late great Sam Kinison said he could solve the problem of the starving Ethiopians in Africa with 1 word......

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE!!!!!!!!!

There's no soil in Ethiopia!!!!!!!!!!!
    There's no water in Ethiopia!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nothing growwwwwwws in Ethiopia!!!!!!!!!!!
    How you stupid areeeeeeeee you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MOVE, MOVE, MOVE .........

I sure miss Sam.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for your sentiments.
    Of course, I (hope I) understand this perspective.
    But shouldn't it stop sometime?
    Once upon a time, pre-audio & video & PDAs ... we could let "teasers" and "racists" and "quality-of-life-crimes" (incl. those committed by "the authorities") go by.
    But now we need not.
    Before airplanes, it was pointless to think of flying from pt. A to pt. B.
    But once they're invented -- PUT THEM TO USE, no?
    It's like having copiers -- but making no copies.
    Fax machines -- but sending no faxes.
    Planes -- but not flying.

I'll prob. move, yes.
    But there's no guarantee it won't happen some more.
    NYC is quite the melting pot (I'm sure you've heard).
    And "West Side Story" rivalries have always existed ... but only (I hope) because little could be done / there was little [hard] evidence, etc.
    But that's not the case anymore.
    Why can't people be assured they will be permitted to live in peace.
    (BTW, NYC is the ONLY juris., I believe, in the U.S. w/OUT cam-corders in their squad cars -- they're about 10 YEARS behind the rest of the country.... Can there be a "good" reason for this? Or does it so incontrovertibly spell CORRUPTION and FEAR OF ABSOLUTE, ACCURATE EVIDENCE that the stench will never go away?)
    "Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds." -- Albert Einstein
    bkbk,
    no one is irredeemable, but you don't have to be the one to redeem those people. Gbgood has some good advice. Move on, it's better to live on spreading good than to 'tarry with the wicked' and have a poopy life.

Also, if YOU don't believe that the authorities will act justly, why should they disappoint you and behave justly? Even the Bible says you pretty much create your own reality. You should move to Minneapolis, Paul Westerberg says it's very nice.

"But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God has chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty"
    1Cor 2:27

Hope everything works out for the best,
    Michael
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by gbgood
    That reminds me of how the late great Sam Kinison <snip> I sure miss Sam. [/SIZE]
    I remem. that one -- one of his best, I thought. I miss him, hugely, too. I hope we all do.
    And, sadly, it's been pointed out of the Jewish persecution in the 1940s, too.
    Still...pretty hard to believe it's still like this in 2001, eh?
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by BobbyMike
    1) bkbk, no one is irredeemable
    2) but you don't have to be the one to redeem those people. Gbgood has some good advice. Move on, it's better
    <snip>
    3) "But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God has chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty"
    1Cor 2:27
    4) Hope everything works out for the best,
    Michael
    1) Please tell me you've already read POTL and still believe this. If you haven't read it, PLEASE heed the warning on P.1. And always feel free to get back to me after you've read it.
    2) Peck, in POTL, quotes J.R.R. Tolkien (and ref. the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, and specif. Golum [?] in doing so -- sadly, perhaps 10 yrs. after I first read POTL, I still haven't read any of the LOTRx3) to the effect that: "It is our duty to till the fields that we know."
    (My paraphrase, btw -- as was my earlier POTL quote, sorry for not mentioning.)
    As the Wise Old Lakota Chief uttered in his 1st words in "Dances w/Wolves" (crucial, for us to respect his wisdom, of course):
    "It is a hard thing to know the right thing to do."
    3) I'm usually a big fan of the Lord (and hope he returns the favor ), but Biblical data like this sure tests my faith.
    If I weren't a writer, I prob. would have less probs. w/the Lord's "authorship" of the universe -- and some of the things, and "apparent homilies" that work the world.
    It's hard (and hurts me, honestly) for me to assimilate the ones that seem to limit humans, our ability to know the world, right from wrong and even the Lord.
    Peck designates confusion ITSELF as evil. (You can even use simple examples like the weather and/or traffic signals to see how powerfully true this seems.)
    Though (I believe) I can see where the Lord may "reserve the right" to "run .DLL code" anytime he finds it necessary -- and all the prev. rules (forgive my French) "be damned"!
    4) Thx.

Other b.g. some of you may have missed (and/or I may not have mentioned) is I just got someone very special in my life. The demented persons next-door were able to drive my prev. fiancee of 3 yrs. ("sure" there "could be" other causes -- but CERTAINLY NO lady wants to be in an atmosphere of CONSTANT strife) out of my life.
    And I def. want to be sure that doesn't happen twice.
    My current lady wants kids -- pretty quick, as neither of us are spring chickens anymore.
    And I certainly don't want to raise them around this.
    I hope I can read into this that God has brought her into my life at this time to remind me how precious things can be, and nothing grave has really occured to me (yet), but just enough to make me finally move away after these years -- and I hope the Lord will move people into my apt. after I'm gone that REALLY give these ppl. hell.
    That'd be nice.
    BTW, I've tried to give as good as I got while living here, so....

But (and I was gonna save this until I had some more impressions to pass on) I just became a Prism owner! And things like this aren't supposed to happen to you after that, are they?
    Last edited by bkbk; 06/14/2001 at 10:59 PM.
    mean people suck

That's what you get for living in an exciting, riveting, never-sleeps, cutting edge city like NYC. It's rough, but some like it that way. I'll bet you're one of those.

If not...
    Come to San Clemente, CA. My sons call it Pleasantville.
    They're spoiled and they know/love it.

I think they took a count, and there were 3 mean people in town.....but we know where they live.
    You should move to Minneapolis, Paul Westerberg says it's very nice.
    Oh does he.. St. Paul is better :-D MUCH better. Come here instead! (It's only like 6 miles away...)

BkBk. wish you well, and hope that you have good luck in life. If you don't belive in the Police they won't do anything to help you. If you are negative about them they will be negative to you. As much as LA or NY police are currpt, they still are the upkeepers of the law, and that memory is strong evidence.

Be good, do well, have fun.

P.S. What's your nationality that your neighbors were angry about?
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    What you described, bkbk, is one of many reasons I detest cities. Large groupings of people with differing views unerringly lead eventually to violence.

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day." -- Calvin, of Calvin & Hobbes

"Ah, so pleasanly we live. Without enmity among those with enmity. Among humans with enmity, do we dwell without enmity." -Buddha

Don't reflect other people's hate, bkbk. It lessens you and empowers them. There's far too many ignorant and small-minded people in the world.

Aside from assault, sounds like willful destruction of property.

anyway, that was all discombobulated, hope it made some sort of sense.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
  11.    #11  
    Thx once more for all the upbeat sentiments.
    Yeah, maybe this is God's big "moooooooove" whisper in the ear, and it's time for me to hear.
    I've lived here prac. my entire life, so it is hard to give up all the +s just b/c of all the -s.
    But maybe at my age, it's time for me to pass the torch to the next gen. to "fight the good fight."
    I hope I've done enough.
    Sure doesn't feel like it.

As for P.D. Depts -- I don't think we can just throw up our hands and say: "Well, we've got NO ONE ELSE!"
    If that's the prob., we must CREATE "someone else."
    As usual, my ans. is video.
    It's certainly not the FBI "overlooking" local P.D.s. That sure don't seem to happen.
    It seems like monopolies just don't work -- no competition to keep them honest, efficient, etc.

Our 1st order of biz., always, should prob. be to create some kind of 2nd, or backup, in the (likely) case that the primary source isn't working right.
    It's alright to be confused. That's part of being human. Trying to make sense of it all is what makes us human. God tells us pretty much everything we need to know about good and evil. It's up to us to choose between them. Morality is a choice. You can't legislate it, and you can't force someone to be it.

To say someone is not redeemable is to try to limit them. Do you really want to be the one who limits someone from being redeemed? If we take the low road and return kind in kind, simply because we believe we're acting in the cause of good, how far do we go?

Tolkien was a christian (in fact to my knowledge he knew C.S. Lewis and helped convert him from an agnostic to christian) so I have to believe he believed in redemption. It's the central tenet of Christianity. If you remember Bilbo (good) succumbs to the 'evil' of the addictive ring and is 'redeemed' when Gollum bites off his finger and falls into the fires. 'Fate' redeemed him.

Combat doesn't have to be mortal, you can hold your ground simply by doing what's right and refusing to react with anger and hate when you are attacked. It's much harder to do than fighting back, I know, but it's hard to be arrested for that.

I have to admit that I don't know Mr. Peck's book. Is he a pessimist, or an optimist? I might be taking some of your remarks incorrectly, because I haven't read the book you're referring to.

I choose that quoted verse specifically to say that you could 'confound' their strengths by not attacking them, but by being good. Getting into a shouting match with an ***** will not make you look smarter. Exposure to evil reduces your intolerance for it. If those people get you "on edge", stay away from them! You will start to view them as less then human, a trap which even Jews (who suffered mightily at the hands of people who chose to see them as sub-par) have fallen prey to.

must sleep now. will look for peck book.
    M
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
    Originally posted by bkbk
    As for P.D. Depts -- I don't think we can just throw up our hands and say: "Well, we've got NO ONE ELSE!"
    If that's the prob., we must CREATE "someone else."
    Some police forces fight the good fight and lose, and are derided in their local media for it, regardless of the amount of effort they take.
    Others, such as Schenectady NY*, LA at the time of Rodney King, and NYC in the past few years, screw up an awful lot and this affects their image and public perception, which makes the public dislike, disrespect, and/or fear them.

The occasional person may be excellent at his job. Others may be unsuited yet no-one bothers to remove them from their job, for one reason or another (usually, in my experience, favoritism).

I feel the law enforcement employees in this nation have a little too much power, and not enough good people.

*The Albany, NY, area organizer for the Million Mom March, which is about preventing gun violence, lives in Schenectady. She was threatened by a gun owner from New Jersey who got her home phone number from her website. The Schenectady police refused to do anything. The NJ police took immediate action upon being notified (with the caller's home phone number from Caller ID) and arrested him.
    The March was cancelled due to the threat.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
  14.    #14  
    P.S. The racist neighbors "think" I'm Jewish -- I'll let you guess the kind & character of slurs.
    I don't like to confirm or deny whether I am or not. MOST HEINOUS, I think, is that the NYPD will actually ASK ME TO!
    As if I'm "not really" Jewish, then they're "not really" slurs, and it "shouldn't really hurt me" because ... because what? Since I'm not of a certain nationality, it shouldn't hurt me if I hear that nationality slandered? That's not what I was taught in school, nor how I was raised. THE NYPD ARE THE WORLDS BIGGEST RACISTS!
    It's clear they "don't understand" anything as "racist" if it's not a black/white issue. If "both are white" in their eyes -- no harm, no foul!
    BTW, my ex-fiancee was 1/2 Asian, 1/2 Latina -- and her skin was very dark, which I'm sure just THRILLED BOTH my racist neighbors & the racist NYPD.
    My presently lady is all Asian (you should know by now it doesn't even matter to me which country -- and, yes, I do have a strong affinity for Asians; I hope no one would label it "racist" tho), and not as dark, but maybe these "2 sides" still "don't like it," and "don't approve."
    As if in 2001 you'd have to get their approval!
    You should move to Minneapolis, Paul Westerberg says it's very nice.
    When did he say that? He hasn't shown his face around hear in YEARS.

What you described, bkbk, is one of many reasons I detest cities. Large groupings of people with differing views unerringly lead eventually to violence.
    I don't think Cities aren any more violent than rural areas per capita (of course, that's opinions, so if someone has facts to rebut that, please do). I actually believe that cities promote tolerance and diversity much better than rural areas of the country.

I grew up in a very small rural town and now live in the Twin Cities. Growing up in the small towns, I was confronted with MUCH more racism, hate, and elitism than in the cities.

Just a differing view...

P.S. Remember...you can't choose your parents...but you can choose your neighbors.
    Last edited by homer; 06/15/2001 at 12:20 AM.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  16.    #16  
    <snip>1) I have to admit that I don't know Mr. Peck's book. Is he a pessimist, or an optimist? I might be taking some of your remarks incorrectly, because I haven't read the book you're referring to.<snip>
    2)must sleep now. will look for peck book.
    M
    1) He says people say his 1st, The Road Less Traveled "was a book filled w/love" (tho the 4 Sections, in order are: 1. Discipline 2. Love 3. Spiritual Growth 4. Grace); his 2nd, POTL is NOT (please, again, take great care, as he warns on p.1. -- it's more frightening than any thriller I've ever read [after p.40], if you ask me; his 3rd, "The Different Drum: Community-making and Peace" is loving again.
    He's written 10 or so by now -- but I'd prob. call him an ambivert.
    You may want to start w/"The Road Less Traveled And Beyond" which (though he protests this) is kind of a combination / culmination of all of his books.
    I love how he starts it: "Against Simplism."
    2) Me too; please let me add that POTL warning once more.

Peck's a big lay-Christian theologian, pretty well known for this, too. He's a big C.S. Lewis fan, too. (I've read a number of C.S. Lewis' "grownups" books, incl. "Mere Christianity." It saddened me that I wasn't able to get much out of the Hopkins / Winger film "Shadowlands.")
    "Faith" has always been a tough nut to crack for me, as dependent as I've allowed myself to grow on logic. And I've also allowed the rush of modern life to marginalize it for me, and prob. not fought against that enough.
    Last edited by bkbk; 06/14/2001 at 11:43 PM.
    And bkbk, don't forget,

...teach your children well...

I'll bet that you can remember 101 things your father said to you, and maybe some he didn't.

Get ready for the ultimate e-ticket
    --Kids, the highest high, the lowest low.

Who out there knows what an e-ticket is???

ps. I did read all of the 'Lord of the Ring' series & 'The Hobbit', but it required certain 'herbal' supplements. Hurray for Bilbo Baggins. See, it doesn't kill brain cells. I can still pull that name out of the old mem slots.
    Hey, and how about Gandolf. Wow, why don't they ever ask these questions on 'The weakest link?'

I hope you're laughing by now.
  18.    #18  
    Originally posted by Yorick
    [B]Some police forces fight the good fight and lose, and <snip>
    1st thing I (try to) do is "remove myself" from any considerations.
    That's why I have so much faith in video -- it works whether or not I'm there -- and despite any biases I may have that I don't even believe I have because I may not perceive.
    But it's hard to see where "good cops" would fear video.
    It should reward the "good cops."
    I'm not anti-cop.
    I'm only anti-bad-cop.
    I'm happy to see the "good ones" get their due.

But, presently, it's not easy to separate them out.
    I believe video will make this so.
  19.    #19  
    Originally posted by gbgood
    And bkbk, don't forget, ...teach your children well...
    <snip>
    Get ready for the ultimate e-ticket
    --Kids, the highest high, the lowest low.
    <snip>
    I hope you're laughing by now.
    I loved "Parenthood" -- but it was scary, too.
    If not bona fide laughter, at least you got me to smile. Thx.
    BkBk.. Al lthis time I thought you were twenty something.. How old are you ?!?!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast